harry potter fans

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Skullkracker wrote:I have read LOTR after seeing the first two movies and it WAS WORTH IT!!!
The wrong way around, still. :\

And as for the rest of you; I hope you realize that I'm not entirely serious in my Potter vs LotR argument. :roll:

Just for the record (and Killfile), I have read all the books I've ever commented upon.

I have yet to read Dune though, but I find it difficult to believe it can top Asimov's Foundation books, or the Saga of Seven Suns. If it can, well, they're the best books evar. I was wondering what I was going to read next, thanks for bringing up Dune, I keep forgetting about those books.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Killfile wrote:I'm not seeing a lot f the names in this thread repeated there, but whatever.

Please - if you've read one or more of these works, make some meaningful, substantive comments. I don't recall seeing the word pwned in any well regarded literary journals - but it could be I'm not reading carefully enough.

My only point is that, if you want do debate the merits of these works, please do so. What I've read on here consists of complaints about length or the difficulty of language - hardly the kind of commentary that would inspire a meaningful discussion.

I may have been hasty in my assumptions -- but the comments I've read don't look like those of individuals who took the time to sit down and actually read something as complex and rich a Lord of the Rings. Maybe that's an unfair judgment - but words are all we have to go on here.
Well so sorry if we dont all read 1000 pages like LOTR :roll:

If you think that the best thing with a book is how many pages it haves then you have missed the point of reading books....
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

Ok, I have read EVERYTHING mentioned in this thread so far.. except .. Hey Mune Who did and what is The Saga of The Seven Suns?

Just for the record, so far out of the suggestions here Asimov's foundation series was the best.

Dune - Excellent, in fact, better than HP or LOTR, only slightly worse than Asimov's foundation. (the original dune, I'm not gonna comment on those new POSs that they released)

LOTR - Good, Well done except... Long/drawn out, I can't quote the page but there are literally times where he takes an entire page to describe one thing -- Too many F'in adjectives.

HP - Good, rather childish but it holds up under scrutiny and is addictive as hell.
I am without a home and in that I find my place in it all.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Libaax wrote:
Killfile wrote:I'm not seeing a lot f the names in this thread repeated there, but whatever.

Please - if you've read one or more of these works, make some meaningful, substantive comments. I don't recall seeing the word pwned in any well regarded literary journals - but it could be I'm not reading carefully enough.

My only point is that, if you want do debate the merits of these works, please do so. What I've read on here consists of complaints about length or the difficulty of language - hardly the kind of commentary that would inspire a meaningful discussion.

I may have been hasty in my assumptions -- but the comments I've read don't look like those of individuals who took the time to sit down and actually read something as complex and rich a Lord of the Rings. Maybe that's an unfair judgment - but words are all we have to go on here.

If you think that the best thing with a book is how many pages it haves then you have missed the point of reading books....
You've also missed the point of his post..
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Darnoc
Mastered PM

Post by Darnoc »

Blah, Dragonlance written by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman beats everything :P

Oh, and so does the Death Gate Cycle saga (was it written like that in english... can't remember) :P
On March 2006 Ajattara strikes back... damn... still 4 months
Itse---Kuolema---Tyhjyys---Apare
obi-pie
notanewb

Post by obi-pie »

does anyone read the harry potter book?

i think its really shitty book and only the end is good couse it's schocking like hell
yea i red al the hp books couse its so damh hard not to becouse its an not ended story(like berserk)

dune is really good too
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

If you havent read "Harry potter and the Goblet of Fire" and "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" ,you have no right to bash this series.Frankly i enjoyed reading hp book 4,5 and 6 more than the lotr,Cuz you know who and the death eaters come back,which makes this series really dark and fun.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Artezul wrote:
Libaax wrote:

You've also missed the point of his post..
I can see that but his first point annoyed so much that i wrote a messed up post like the one you qouted to.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Is what Killfile saying really making you that mad. :?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

His comment about most us dont even read mags let alone books like LOTR made me angry when i first read it but nevermind now.

Enjoy talking about HP.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Jack Brock wrote:Whatever God hates, I hate.
:stupid:

HP held my attention better then LOTR. I admit I have barely started on LOTR leaving off at page 250; I simply lost interest in forcing myself to continue reading.

By the way of that Article, I thought J.K. Rowling was going to be excommunicated or something. :?
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

finished the latest Potter in less then 48 hours.... Great book... Still i prefer Dune cause it has a higher re-read value
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

How many Dune books is there? Only one or more?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Six by Frank Herbert and six, eventually eight, by his son, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson.

Plus a variety of other books, most released by Brian Herbert, with the Dune Encyclopedia compiled by Dr. Willis E. McNelly.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Libaax wrote:His comment about most us dont even read mags let alone books like LOTR made me angry when i first read it but nevermind now.

Enjoy talking about HP.
I read GQ and think it's better then Maxim so I support you Libaxx and well you're from AFRICA!

I'm not a book person myself, i rather just go to a website like this and read off the internet then hold a fragile piece of paper in my hands. I do however buy books that I fine to my liking but that is rare. Most good books i get are borrowed/tooken from somewhere. I personally prefer reading books with defintions(dictionaries and baby name books) instead of ones with plot and character development unless full of action. I quit Harry Potter at Goblet of Fire(sorry Nazgul) and the only recent books i've read are the Halo novels and Aspects of Alice(random stuff about lewis carroll/dodgeson's book) which i haven't finished.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Nazgûl wrote:Frankly i enjoyed reading hp book 4,5 and 6 more than the lotr,
Aye. Most of the time, HP is like crack and LotR is like a sedative. I love LotR and all, but it's not always teh exciting read.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

still i am really interested in number 7 since it is supposed to finish the series.... story got a good twist at the end of The Half Blood Prince so this could get fun :P
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

You forget the fact, that while a fantasy world is sth that is common knowledge to us, Tolkien had a brand new world to create, and describe it in a way that it can come to exist in our imaginations.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

so did frank herbert.... but he did more... he created an entire galaxy, a whole new form of politics. He created several religions...

The only thing Tolkien invented was the setting. The rest was all kinda taken from that which is almost a rule book in terms of fantasy worlds... The whole goblin thing and all
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I'm into Sci fi perioid right now so i will look into Dune and see if its good.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Does this mean that talk about harry potter in this thread has died down?
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

:P

next chapter is gonna be:
Harry Potter: Lord of the Dunes
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Skullkracker wrote::P

next chapter is gonna be:
Harry Potter: Lord of the Dunes
What is it about? An evil Lord who wants to get the one grain of sand to rule them all.

Hehe btw. do you know the LotR Flash Parodies by Legendary Frog?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Harry Potter is pretty good, im liking it so far. A bit short though. I mean the other books were close to 800 pages. This one is in the 600's.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Yeah, but it's a lot more concise and to-the-point, which I appreciate after the fifth book, which had hundreds of pages of... very uninteresting things, amounting to very little.
This means "class time" has been severly reduced, for the better in many cases. Although I would have liked a deeper insight into the DADA classes with Snape...