Berserk is doing pretty well apparently.

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I have to say that for most of the words, the context means kind of the same, and that only the picky ones who likes their literal translations would care, although there are some differences between the two translations. Most of them seem kind of look the same to me, when they're selling the volumes to an Western audience, I guess some liberties are made in order to appeal to them. Different translators also have their own different interpretations as well, you can try reading two releases of the same chapter of some manga title from two different groups. You'll notice some varying differences between them. If you don't want to buy the DH releases because of this one individual, it's fine. Just buy volumes 1-3, I don't think Johnson was responsible for those. Maybe you could buy a volume of Johnson's translated volume of Berserk and compare it with the Hawks copy. You don't need to have an excuse not to buy it because you doubt of the translator's credibility. DH are the official English translations endorsed by Miura, you will not find any other English volumes done by any other publishing company.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

DH are the official English translations endorsed by Miura, you will not find any other English volumes done by any other publishing company.
True, that´s why i´ll probably buy them off Dark Horse, despite my ramblings, i have all Hellsings volumes available from Dark Horse.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Also if we want the books we dont have any choice.

I would be able to handle americanisation and all if it meant i could read them in book form.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

to me if its for free, then its for me.
=)
convenience plays an important role too.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I'm glad to hear that Berserk is doing well in sales, though I can't say that I'm disappointed that Maus is at the top instead of Berserk. Regarding the tangent of buying the manga, I'll probably do that since a friend loaned me the series on DVD, and I have been spreading Berserk's excellence through it. Why not further that spread with the manga as well?
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Duane "The Rock" Johnson?
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Starnum wrote:Duane "The Rock" Johnson?
Good to know I'm not the only one that found the name...intriguing :)
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

By the way, has the manga been censured in any way by Dark horse so far?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Deathbringer wrote:By the way, has the manga been censured in any way by Dark horse so far?
Other than a few translation inconsistances between fan-translation like Hawks and DH, it is not censored in any way. All the artwork is there.

We will see what happens come volume 13, to see if they include the lost-chapter or not.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Other than a few translation inconsistances between fan-translation like Hawks and DH, it is not censored in any way. All the artwork is there.
Yeah, tranlations are never the same when we compare them between diferent groups but i was only talking about some kind of censuring or omitage in the artwork, to be frank, since this is DH is wasn´t very afraid of that but i asked anyway since Berserk even has some chapter revolving only about sex.
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

I really hope they don't censor it

I just laugh though every time I go to the bookstore and see that Berserk is the only manga there that is wrapped up so certain people (like lil kids) cant preview it.
:wink:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, they haven't censored it, and I doubt they will. The eclipse has some pretty risky material though. We'll see how it goes though. Surely they'll include the lost chapter, or so I would assume.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

I'm inclined to think the lost chapter won't be included. It was removed from the Japanese volumes as far as I heard, because Miura felt like he was revealing too much too early. And the way he's been stucturing how much of the astral worlds is revealed between the eclipse and now has been pretty mcuh consistent with that philosophy. Right now, he is making it so that we learn more and more about the Astral world through Schierke, with the occasional appearances of Slann, Skullknight and that Behelit world egg guy.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

I read an interview, I think it was posted by the hawks from one of the people at Dark Horse, they said it wont be censored at all, I mean in essence most people like berserk for the grit, taking away from that would ruin the purpose of reading it, in my opinion. So no, it shouldn't be censored, I can see that they might word things different in translation, since Japanese is completely different from english, and the same word can mean like 15 different things I think it will come out more clean cut in the end (any examples would be great of previous volumes released)

But yeah Berserk is doing great, and it's good to hear, since I picked up the Manga I've started telling all of my friends that are interested in manga about it. I mean -- I personally never read comic books, never read manga, I thought it was silly, and until I read Berserk it was... I feel with that type of swaying power it can become very popular, just if its given the publicity it deserves. Which you have to thank people like EG, and The Hawks for, really made this available to a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't know it.

So my hat's off to you,
Fight.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wandering_Mystic wrote:I'm inclined to think the lost chapter won't be included. It was removed from the Japanese volumes as far as I heard, because Miura felt like he was revealing too much too early. And the way he's been stucturing how much of the astral worlds is revealed between the eclipse and now has been pretty mcuh consistent with that philosophy. Right now, he is making it so that we learn more and more about the Astral world through Schierke, with the occasional appearances of Slann, Skullknight and that Behelit world egg guy.
That's odd, I had heard he "added" it at a later time to help further explain things. Hm, I wonder...
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

I think I read about it being pulled by Miura from over at SK.net. I didn't see any concrete details or interviews about the matter myself, though. I could try to look around here for the German version of volumne 13 to see if it was included here (German version is translated up to about vol 25 or so, last time I checked). That might give a hint as to whether it will be included in the English official release
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Starnum wrote:That's odd, I had heard he "added" it at a later time to help further explain things. Hm, I wonder...
Same here.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wandering_Mystic wrote:I think I read about it being pulled by Miura from over at SK.net. I didn't see any concrete details or interviews about the matter myself, though. I could try to look around here for the German version of volumne 13 to see if it was included here (German version is translated up to about vol 25 or so, last time I checked). That might give a hint as to whether it will be included in the English official release
Cool, let me know if you discover any concrete facts, because if you do I may need to change the FAQ. ;)
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Well I did my part I now own 1-10 Dark Horse releases :D they didnt have 11 or 12 but I have already preordered 13 so it looks like I will have a good collection after all :D
Last edited by Sandman on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
sukottosan
imanewbie

Post by sukottosan »

Same here...I got bought 11. I'm hoping 13 will have the deleted chapter in there.
Skullomania
imanewbie

Post by Skullomania »

after five years dark-horse will be on the same step with the japanese publication,when that time comes do you think the berserk forums will be that active? :?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

after five years dark-horse will be on the same step with the japanese publication,when that time comes do you think the berserk forums will be that active?
Not unless they translate the Young Animal chapters when it first releases in Japan too.

Now why do you question whether the forums will become active or not? Some people aren't sorely here for the leeching, you know. We do have other discussion besides 'where i dld chpt x', and I do find our other conversations on Berserk about symbolism, theories and character development interesting. If anything, you should go to the Hawks forums and say that crap. We are all bound by our love for Berserk, which is why we're here. Don't treat some of the members here that shallow.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Indeed. The chapters are available every now and then, but I keep coming here everyday for discussion about berserk, since I can't do that with anyone else (I almost never see my friend who introduced me to Berserk).
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

And don't forget all of us lurkers. I come almost everyday to read everyone's insights on what's happening.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I have 11 now... all about wyld :twisted: the pink pussy ass ape :evil:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip: