Which Mangas are you reading?

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Homonculus is pretty awesome too, but the Hawks are scanlating it, so we pretty much have to wait a long time in between volumes. They have 6 volumes out though, and it's definitely awesome seinen stuff (although no medieval themes or vampire/samurais)
It's about a somewhat mysterious guy who is down on his luck and gets a risky blackmarket operation for some cash. After getting a hole drilled into his skull, he starts to see things he couldn't before and he struggles to stay sane.

In a completely other direction, I would highly recommend One Piece for a weekly dose of laughter and adventure. I was EXTREMELY sceptical about it for a long time myself. I thought it would be really stupid and mainstream. When I finally started watching/reading, I discovered I was half-wrong. While there is no denying its mainstream themes and popularity, somehow it is unbelievably entertaining. It does everything right, even after 400+ chapters adding a great mix of humor, adventure and suspense. In a way, I stilll think it is extremely stupid, but now I mean stupid in a good way.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Finito wrote:Well try these, dont know any with both.

Vampire stuff
-Blood The Last Vampire
-Blood Sucker (Zipangu)
-Lunar Legend Tsukihime

For samurai stuff, I know these ones
-Shigurui
-Kenshin
-Blade of the Immortal (why did you stop it? its pretty good!)
-Getsu Mei Sei Ki
-Samurai Champloo

Not all findable on the net.
Good job dropping Kyo it just suck so bad!!

One more thing, you should definetely read more other than vampire, samurai stuff, your just missing out on alot of great mangas.
I gotta focus on somethin, there's a lot out there. The biggest reason I think I ever fell in love with Berserk is because he's a swordsmen. I have a thing for swords...a werid thing.
Blade seemed to have bad writting. The villian who sewed heads of women onto his neck was one of the stupidest things I ever read.
And I'm a *huge* champloo fan already. Didn't bother to mention the manga, since it's not like the show at all.
I'll look into the rest.
Wandering_Mystic wrote:Homonculus is pretty awesome too, but the Hawks are scanlating it, so we pretty much have to wait a long time in between volumes. They have 6 volumes out though, and it's definitely awesome seinen stuff (although no medieval themes or vampire/samurais)
It's about a somewhat mysterious guy who is down on his luck and gets a risky blackmarket operation for some cash. After getting a hole drilled into his skull, he starts to see things he couldn't before and he struggles to stay sane.

In a completely other direction, I would highly recommend One Piece for a weekly dose of laughter and adventure. I was EXTREMELY sceptical about it for a long time myself. I thought it would be really stupid and mainstream. When I finally started watching/reading, I discovered I was half-wrong. While there is no denying its mainstream themes and popularity, somehow it is unbelievably entertaining. It does everything right, even after 400+ chapters adding a great mix of humor, adventure and suspense. In a way, I stilll think it is extremely stupid, but now I mean stupid in a good way.
I'll definitly check out Homonculus.

After seeing over 160 episodes of One Piece, I would agree it's great. I'm not compelled to read the manga though.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

OP manga is soo much better than the anime though.

The anime i find so boring, mostly though the lack of good music and thier VAs being horrible.

About Blade of The Immortal,give it some time it gets much better.

Have you watched Kenshin anime? Its sword action and its better than the manga.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Kenshin fillers, movies and OAV sucked (The OAV for the story change) but the original episodes ruled, the KenshinxShishio episodes were amazing.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Original eps were amazing,hooked me on anime forever!

The manga isnt so good cause of the art is so horrible.
N3oShweaty
This is my new home

Post by N3oShweaty »

one piece va's and music horrible? maybe we are watching a different show...
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

Yhea, the 4Kids version >:(
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Nah i watched the subbed version.

I hated it to my core, Ruffy sounds so bad, like an old hag, Zoro even worse.

The lack of music and good music isnt a plus either.
N3oShweaty
This is my new home

Post by N3oShweaty »

i have to strongly disagree. You must hear some strange old hags. The music of the series is one of its strong points, especially at the most series points. I say that the manga and anime for one piece are pretty much equivolent. I dont really watch the anime anymore because i have read all of it but when i did watch it consistently, it was the shit and the episodes that i have seen recently are really good (the k-f stuff, im waiting for the luffy vs blueno fight in the anime before i watch again). I love zoro's voice and that made watching samurai champloo that much better. Luffy can be an idiot and his va presents it accurately but also he can be serious which the va does well. I also like franky's voice actor especially after hearing it in a sentai series.

I might agree with some of your points if you elaborated, i guess.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The problem is thier voice dont sound like their character.

I know Ruffy was wierd but not he deservs a voice like that.

Zoro should sound like Mugen not Jin.

I came from the manga and thought it might interesting seeing how they are in anime. But for the first time,the characters are totaly diffrent thanks to thier voice.

I mean you cant take Ruffy serious even when he is suppose to be serious thanks to his voice.

Normaly i wouldnt care but OP manga is one of few good shonens i have read.

Along with FMA,Hunter X Hunter its the only great shonen i have read.
N3oShweaty
This is my new home

Post by N3oShweaty »

you mean zoro should sound like jin not mugen?

The problem with that is that zoro isnt always serious. How would jin pull off the times that zoro isnt serious?
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Libaax wrote:The manga isnt so good cause of the art is so horrible.
I like his style alot personally, the artwork in the later mangas is *very* good, better then One Piece, Naruto and Bleach IMO.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Did anybody checked out this new manga, "To Love Ru", published in Jump? 2 chapters out so far, out by Kefi?

Somebody tells me this crap isn't bound to replace Death Note. I know it is but aaaaah...it's terrible. Art somewhat OK, LOTS of fanservice, so if you like that it's...watchable. But as usual, there will be less and less as the manga advance, and then it will be just bad. THe Black cat author does it, and that's not necessarily a good thing from my point of view.

The story is just empty, doesn't make sense, and I'm getting sick of this 'High-school student' settings, but that's just me.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

High school student bore to death if it isnt School rumble or GTO style funny.

The mangaka of BC?

That does it for me i wont go near this manga.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Well Black Cat was interesting at 1st, at least the stroy setting had promises (unfulfilled, but there were some cool moves in this manga, nothing really original or witty though). This one doesn't even have that. It has nekked bottoxrz instead.

Pick your poison.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

I started this weird manga named "Dead end"... bizar. Everything happens like random bullshit. And the story is very vague. Artwork isn't very good either.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

Devil_Dante wrote:...weird manga named "Dead end"... bizar...bullshit...very vague...isn't very good.
why the hell are you reading it still?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Albator wrote:Well Black Cat was interesting at 1st, at least the stroy setting had promises (unfulfilled, but there were some cool moves in this manga, nothing really original or witty though). This one doesn't even have that. It has nekked bottoxrz instead.

Pick your poison.
BC started pretty good yeah,it was interesting with the number agents stuff and the hunter work etc Then it become generic boring shonen.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

if you take the time to read it and understand the characters and plot, Dead End actually does make sense. the artwork is not what i would call bad, but rough and very stylized. perfect for the whack plot. i think its pretty good actually. i read it a while back and dropped it, but i am starting to pick it up again. i say give it another try. it took me a while to like it.

i recently read Sky High.( @ omanga) Then finishing it, i read it's sequel, Sky High Karma. im not too fond of the art, but i do like the situations and the characters. its a cool idea, i think.

and ALL of jiro matsumoto's stuff is FUCKED UP. but i keep on reading... his stories are always fun to read, and the artwork is beautiful. sigh.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

I was at the manga store....er comic book store.... with my paycheck today, and I had to get something. Since there wasn't anything new that I already knew, I took a chance and bought this vampire manga called Blood Sucker, legend of zipangu. I love dark vampire stuff (Hellsing anyway) and it certainly isn't lacking in the violence department. I've only read the fist few chapters so far.
Something about a Japanese Samurai vampire being resurrected in the modern day. Lots of nudity and blood, nothing cute or silly about it (thank god.) The art is OK, the artist doens't seem to know what a naked female body actually looks like, probably because he's never encountered one :D Though I have no idea the sex of the author/artist. Just saying the perportions are annoyingly off.

The salemen at the comic book store is the definition of otaku. He's so bad with people, he nearly talked me out of buying this manga. That's how dumb he is :D He once recomended Oh My Goddes to me :roll: He's definitly the biggest anime fan on the block though.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

sigh. i really thought we went over the whole "otaku" thing...

Anyways-
ive been recently really into jiro matsumoto's stuff. i love the art and the his whole style of storytelling/writing.

Also, i got into an old favorite of mine; parasyte. it really is amazing. the art has a kind of old school feel to it, and the story is very well done. it has lots of perfect blood and gore, and interesting characters. it was unquestionably worth my time to re-read the series! if haven't read it, i suggest you do.

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

SarahofBorg wrote:The salemen at the comic book store is the definition of otaku. He's so bad with people, he nearly talked me out of buying this manga. That's how dumb he is :D He once recomended Oh My Goddes to me :roll: He's definitly the biggest anime fan on the block though.
Bah, my Otaku powers would shut that n00b down. He probably calls it May-nga. Besides, being an otaku doesn't mean your dumb, though most of them are. It just means you're a hardcore fanatic. However, I'm good at telling where to drop the line when talking to people. Some people don't want to hear shit about anime and all that all day. Mind you, I could talk about the shit till the end of time, but I have more tact than that. The term you're probably looking for is "nerd". ;)
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

I'm thinkin the Japanese definition of Otaku. I kind of know the guy since I go to the store constantly and he's been there for years. He was hired specifically because of his anime knowledge, but he's a horrible salemen. He always manages to recomend to me the exact opposite of what I actually like.
BTW, he tells me they ordered Vagabond issue 21 and they'll have it within the next month. FINNALLY. It's been at least a year since the last issue.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Heh i have already read my copy of Vagabond 21 8)
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

Im on Berserk, One Piece and Naruto. Recently started on Zetman and it's pretty nice.

:oops: :oops: