Berserk Screenplay in the Works

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Re: Berserk Screenplay in the Works

Post by lon3vvolf »

C'mon mod where are you? Lock this thread already.

Even if that guy completes(and props to him if he does) a screenplay there oddles and oddles of things which can stop the project from getting underway. Until its actually greenlit by a legit movie studio you can't hope for anything other than words on paper.

Lets just see how the DBZ and Speed Racer movies do... if those flop its unlikely another manga/anime to live action movie will get the go-ahead for a while. On the other side, if a Berserk movie does get made, and it true to the manga( kicks all sorts of ass and makes serious $$$ too) maybe well get more Berserk related goodness (2nd season :shock: I'm shocked that I even though of that...)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Messatsu wrote:you know.... i use to cry out injustice each time hollywood would churn out movies based on licenses. But in time i realised that it wont stop the movies from being made, even if you where to boicot this movie or the next or the one after that, the crap factory would keep on churning mediocraty. I dont even make it a point anymore NOT to see thsese movies, i just make fun of em at best and completely ignore them at worst.

So a screenplay for Berserk is in the works? Does it mean a movie? not realy. But if they do the concensus on whether or not a movie would be made still comes down to Mr.Miura. After all isnt he the sole propriator of the Berserk license?( honestly im not to sure)

Or perhaps its an animated movie and not live action?
A Beowulf-style animation, might be interesting.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

When I meant important scenes, I meant that these were ones that should be in the film. The Eclipse and anything having to do with Guts revealing his emotions would be pinnacle. Though, I'm afraid that Judeau would take a very minor role and the Skull Knight would be much more important. I can even see the SK having more lines than Judeau. What does anyone think of a heavy metal montage for the years in between when Guts is 15 to 18 for the fights and all that? Nah, the metal montage would be for the in between battles for the Hawks battle prowess. I would make sure to keep the emotional scenes at a good slow pace. I myself get very very annoyed when they rush scenes like that in films because there are other parts they want. I don't think that my screenplay would ever be turned into a film, but if I put a serious effort into it and a hollywood north producer up here in Vancouver sees it, well, who knows maybe Berserk would be seen as being a viable North American movie. I never really thought that it would be appropriate in Japanese because it's more a fantasy version of French history and fairy tales.

Another point, if this were a holly wood production, who would you like to see in the cast? I'd like to see Christian Bale as the Skull Knight.[spoiler]And Zac Effron as Grffith, no joke.[/spoiler]
P.S. If they did Berserk in that same lame ass motion suit animation as Beowulf and Polar Express I'd go and shoot the director myself. That shit is a blight on hollywood and all people who envision themselves as animators. It's even worse than the over editing and computer modification in films like 300 and Sky Captain. Berserk is hailed for its realism, and that kind of 'animation' shit would never do it any justice.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:When I meant important scenes, I meant that these were ones that should be in the film. The Eclipse and anything having to do with Guts revealing his emotions would be pinnacle. Though, I'm afraid that Judeau would take a very minor role and the Skull Knight would be much more important. I can even see the SK having more lines than Judeau. What does anyone think of a heavy metal montage for the years in between when Guts is 15 to 18 for the fights and all that? Nah, the metal montage would be for the in between battles for the Hawks battle prowess. I would make sure to keep the emotional scenes at a good slow pace. I myself get very very annoyed when they rush scenes like that in films because there are other parts they want. I don't think that my screenplay would ever be turned into a film, but if I put a serious effort into it and a hollywood north producer up here in Vancouver sees it, well, who knows maybe Berserk would be seen as being a viable North American movie. I never really thought that it would be appropriate in Japanese because it's more a fantasy version of French history and fairy tales.

Another point, if this were a holly wood production, who would you like to see in the cast? I'd like to see Christian Bale as the Skull Knight.[spoiler]And Zac Effron as Grffith, no joke.[/spoiler]
P.S. If they did Berserk in that same lame ass motion suit animation as Beowulf and Polar Express I'd go and shoot the director myself. That shit is a blight on hollywood and all people who envision themselves as animators. It's even worse than the over editing and computer motification in films like 300 and Sky Captain. Berserk is hailed for its realism, and if that animation shit would never do it any justice.
I'd say Berserk is known for its realism more d/t its strength of characters and raw emotion. But the action sequences (see any scene with the Berserk Armor), and the titanic strength necessary to wield the DS, isn't exactly true to life. Although before shit hit the fan with the eclipse, I guess the story would be no less realistic than what we got in 300.

BTW....I take it you didn't enjoy Beowulf.

After killing Grendel, though the movie may have strayed from the Old English...ergh....poem a little (a lot). I still found it quite a good show.

[spoiler]Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddy Price Jr......would make a good Griffith/Guts one-two punch![/spoiler]
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Although before shit hit the fan with the eclipse, I guess the story would be no less realistic than what we got in 300.
Considerably more so, I'd say. Frankly, I've always been amazed by the level of detail and accuracy that Miura incorporates into the work. Sure a few points are deliberately unrealistic, such as Zodd, magic, the Berserk Armor, and so on, but overall the realism is fantastic.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
Although before shit hit the fan with the eclipse, I guess the story would be no less realistic than what we got in 300.
Considerably more so, I'd say. Frankly, I've always been amazed by the level of detail and accuracy that Miura incorporates into the work. Sure a few points are deliberately unrealistic, such as Zodd, magic, the Berserk Armor, and so on, but overall the realism is fantastic.
Detailed yes....Meticulous almost to a fault.

But in terms of "realism", we must have different definitions.
guywildman
imanewbie

Post by guywildman »

i'd say it's pretty realistic, i mean if anyone would ever swing a sword as big as guts's (dragon slayer or his golden age sword) i think he would swing it like guts, quite honestly i cant think of a giant sword being swung any other way. :lol:

as for the movie, i would like to hire the sincity movie pepole, it was a great cinametic expriance and stayed very true to the spirit of the comic, if berserk would be given the same trearment i think the movie would be great and i dont think miura would let any berserk movie that isn't good he's o.k any way. i would like to see bruce campel as skull knight, i mean think about it how better to save guts from a hourd of monsters the bruce campel?
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

guywildman wrote:i mean think about it how better to save guts from a hourd of monsters the bruce campel?
*Skull Knights draws his behelit-forged sword from his mouth*

THIS... is my Boomstick! :o
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah yes, The Sword of Resonance. I can't wait to see that thing slice through Void. :P
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:Ah yes, The Sword of Resonance. I can't wait to see that thing slice through Void. :P
Seconded. Although I doubt it will be quite that easy.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

yea, he already tried....
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Botch
imanewbie

Post by Botch »

TheDrizzit wrote:yea, he already tried....
Yea but that wasn't with the sword of resonance

"Sink, suffer, self destruct. Rise, stronger, reconstruct." - Lamb of God
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Void made a portal to reflect SK's normal sword, but the sword of resonance makes portals itself. SK also says that he is prophesized to kill Void, so his new sword may very well kill the guy.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

While I'm happy to know that there's a possibility (even if minimal) of Berserk getting adapted to the silver screen, but i'm most advise and curb your enthusiasm (fanboism). It will be an adaptation, then expect some changes so kiss multi-movie, multi hour adaptation goodbye. Also i doubt that Puck would appear (it didn't appeared in the anime where it would a lot easier).

And if we are talking about a movie adaptation from a Hollywood studio, then i suppose they would go to a contract of 1 movie+2 sequels, if profitable. I guess they will start with Guts killing Snake Apostle and go on with long flashback until reaching the Eclipse, if they desire to compress all this in one near 3 hour long feature.

In terms of visual, Beowulf type of animation will offer a lot of liberties but a lot of setback (imho, Beowulf had a medium quality animation comparing with "FF: Spirits Whintin" or "Animatrix: The flight of Osiris"), but something like 300, besides the physical limitations impositions, would gather more audience (the lure of real actors is more pleasing that cgi animation characters).

There's a lot of ground yet to explore on this.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Istvan wrote:
Starnum wrote:Ah yes, The Sword of Resonance. I can't wait to see that thing slice through Void. :P
Seconded. Although I doubt it will be quite that easy.
Oh, I never said it would be easy. I'm just looking forward to seeing it when/if it ever happens. :P
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Concerning if they made Berserk the way they made 300, I just feel like it wouldn't get to the essence if they did that. They should do that for sure with the Eclipse scene, I really wouldn't have it any other way. But for the fight scenes they should do it the same way they did LOTR and for any scenes in castles actually film them in real castles. There are a shit load in England waiting to be used.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

The Herald wrote:Concerning if they made Berserk the way they made 300, I just feel like it wouldn't get to the essence if they did that. They should do that for sure with the Eclipse scene, I really wouldn't have it any other way. But for the fight scenes they should do it the same way they did LOTR and for any scenes in castles actually film them in real castles. There are a shit load in England waiting to be used.
Of course not all the film must be shoot like 300 was, but 300 didn't have much castles or fortress.
A good part of LotR trilogy was shoot also in a blue/green screen.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I know that, but I'm saying that for the scenes like the ball or when Casca and Guts are together for the first time it would look better on a real set, or even better on location.
citanuzuki666
notanewb

Post by citanuzuki666 »

what do you guys think of peter Jackson directing it? Although some of LOTR movie differ from the book he did do an amazing job directing.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

No way in hell would Jackson ever be allowed to do Berserk. He'd make it too giddy and fake looking, like King Kong. Same goes for any big fantasy director. They should bill a realism action director, or maybe a romance director to do it. Maybe even a woman, that way she would keep the fight scenes cool but not forget all of the integral emotional stuff too.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:No way in hell would Jackson ever be allowed to do Berserk. He'd make it too giddy and fake looking, like King Kong. Same goes for any big fantasy director. They should bill a realism action director, or maybe a romance director to do it. Maybe even a woman, that way she would keep the fight scenes cool but not forget all of the integral emotional stuff too.
How about George Lucas? :kekeke:
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

The Herald wrote:
Yeah, and Hayden Christensen can play Griffith. *shudders*
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

The Prince wrote:
The Herald wrote:No way in hell would Jackson ever be allowed to do Berserk. He'd make it too giddy and fake looking, like King Kong. Same goes for any big fantasy director. They should bill a realism action director, or maybe a romance director to do it. Maybe even a woman, that way she would keep the fight scenes cool but not forget all of the integral emotional stuff too.
Good grief Charlie Brown.
I just had a spasm...
I would vouch for Zack Snyder, but only after seeing how well he works with "Watchmen", which is much more demanding, script wise, that 300 was.
Hm, Guillermo del Toro isn't a bad option also, but this might be a bit out of his league. But instead of going in this ramble, let's see how well they go with the Script and gathering a Studio willing to pull this of.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

You know, Hayden Christiensen would be a good candidate for Griffith, but he's too tall. For Guts maybe John Meyers, because he has the whole tortured thing going on. Though, he doesn't seem big enough, maybe he'd be good as Griffith. Though, I can't really see anyone with Griffith's hairdo :? And for Casca, the girl who played Mary in the Nativity Story may be good. Guts is looking to be really hard to cast
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

As long as Lolegolas aka the Dude in Jack Sparrow's shadow isn't playing Griffith all's OK. :o

I could imagine Halle Berry as Caska, the looks would fit and she played strong women before.