Resident Evil 4 (PS2)

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

BasouKazuma wrote:
Gaiseric wrote:
BasouKazuma wrote:I just read a bit about it and the controls have a noticeably different feel to them when playin the PS2 version (which is a bad thing).
Just read, huh? So you havent actually played both versions?
Well, ya see, in my first post (first sentence) i had stated that i was planning on getting it later on. So that should have been no surprise.

I don't have to have played the game on the PS2 to understand that the position of the controls will effect the game negatively. I have a good understanding of both controllers and have visualized how things would play out on the PS2. I mentioned that i read some stuff that supports my statement, as backup.

My rant was mainly about Libaax. Cuz he had just mentioned something about RE5 being made for Playstation people .... thus trying to prove that sony is better or something .... It was definitely not about you Starnum.

Wind Waker may not be his cup of tea. Its a great game but some people just cant get over the graphics being cell shaded. Metroid Prime might be more enjoyable. It was game of the year too ... I got to get the sequel ... i got RE4 instead of that. Which was a wise choice though.

You forgot, Soul Calibur 2 (It's got LINK!), Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader.
Don't put words in my mouth i never said anything about sony being better, i just said that about RE5 cause it wont be a inferior port as GC people say the PS2 version of RE4 is.

Im just glad that RE games are back to playstation cause it was us who made it what RE is. RE was one of the biggest reasons i bought PS1.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Femto wrote:You owe it to yourself to play Wind Waker.

It's easily one of this generation's best games.
No not that game!!

Would Ikaruga be better on a dreamcast(which i have it on) since the gamecube version is a port?
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

You're still talking all PS-centric.

"Im just glad that RE games are back to playstation cause it was us who made it what RE is" .... really now ... are you a part of Sony? And wait ... doesnt capcom make the games?

Look, i could just as easily say that Nintendo reinvented the RE series and finally made it a great series. That is just wrong, though. It was Capcom that made it. I don't even really like the earlier games. I played them and have long since realized that the controls were just too bad for them to be good games.

You must admit, all of your statements are almost predetermined to be in favor of the Playstation.

Ikaruga is a simplistic game and it's being ported onto a superior system (not vice versa as RE4 is). I doubt there is much difference in those two versions. Plus, I'm sure no one is saying that all ports are automatically worse.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

I could care less about the game being a port, i only need it because i want to play the new features and and if you want to be truly anal about the controllers, just get a conveter.

either way if you get RE4 you are doing yourself a favor and getting an awsome game.

what i really want is a a remake of al the old game, but re4 style.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Femto wrote: Take Street Fighter 2 and it's SNES port for example, the original arcade has six face buttons and a joystick and the SNES has a D-Pad, 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons. You have to change the layout a bit and, while it might not mean a lot to people play games superficially (Gaiseric?), when you really get into the game, you start to realize why it doesn't work as well.
Did you just use a fighting game as an example for poor controls on a port? Almost all fighting games are ported over from the arcade, all of which have a joystick a six face buttons. So any console controller will be inferior, everyone knows that. As superficial as I am, even I own an arcade stick for my Dreamcast fighters. Honestly, if you played RE4 on GC and then went to play it on PS2, the controls would feel a bit off. But if you played through it on PS2 first and then tried it on GC, the GC version wouldnt feel right.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Re-read my post. It's not about the controls (though they do suffer in ports), it's about button layout.

You think Ocarina of Time will work better on an X-Box layout? Or Devil May Cry 3 on a Gamecube?

Don't talk nonsense, it's not about what scheme you're used to, it's about what the developers had in mind when they created it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

BasouKazuma wrote:You're still talking all PS-centric.

"Im just glad that RE games are back to playstation cause it was us who made it what RE is" .... really now ... are you a part of Sony? And wait ... doesnt capcom make the games?

Look, i could just as easily say that Nintendo reinvented the RE series and finally made it a great series. That is just wrong, though. It was Capcom that made it. I don't even really like the earlier games. I played them and have long since realized that the controls were just too bad for them to be good games.

You must admit, all of your statements are almost predetermined to be in favor of the Playstation.

Ikaruga is a simplistic game and it's being ported onto a superior system (not vice versa as RE4 is). I doubt there is much difference in those two versions. Plus, I'm sure no one is saying that all ports are automatically worse.

Of course my statements are PS-centric cause i have only played RE games in PS. I didnt say i wasn't pro PS did i?

Sony is more important cause they decide which games we play on PS2.

I dont care about GC, as long as sony gives me my kind of games i dont care about other consoles.
Last edited by Libaax on Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Actually, I do agree with Femto to an extent, when a game is ported to another console, there may be fuckups with controls and gaming experience, since certain buttons are situated differently on other controls and so on. Like some games that are ported to PC fail miserably because of awful controls, and vice versa. But I think Capcom would make a decent conversion to the PS2, I don't think they're release some dodge crap with shit controls and expect it to sell.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Libaax wrote:
BasouKazuma wrote:You're still talking all PS-centric.

Of course my statements are PS-centric cause i have only played RE games in PS. I didnt say i was pro PS did i?

Sony is more important cause they decide which games we play on PS2.

I dont care about GC, as long as sony gives me my kind of games i dont care about other consoles.
Thus further proving that your perspective is narrow.

Also, Sony doesnt simply decide what games are put on their console, that's mainly up to the 3rd party developers to decide. Sony does make deals with some developers to keep things solely on their system but they don't have complete rule over what is put on their consoles.

All Sony does is create the hardware and negotiate stuff. It just happens to be that Sony has a huge fan base so many companys want to put their games on the PS systems since they will reach a bigger audience that way. The REAL developers look for a system that will make the game better.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The REAL developers look for a system that will make the game better.
nah they are mostly after to make money and in PS2 you make most money,otherwise why would capcom realese a port of RE4 to PS when they havent realeased a RE game in PS2 in almost a decade.

I didnt say i dont like game developers, i adore Konami for MGS,Pro evo,SH etc and Capcom for DMC,Onimusha etc.

But Sony does decide which games we get cause they make those developers to do game for us.

Also i dont understand what you dont get.

Why should i care about what games GC,xbox get and Is it so wrong of me to be happy to have RE back in PS?
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Libaax wrote:
nah they are mostly after to make money and in PS2 you make most money,otherwise why would capcom realese a port of RE4 to PS when they havent realeased a RE game in PS2 in almost a decade.

I didnt say i dont like game developers, i adore Konami for MGS,Pro evo,SH etc and Capcom for DMC,Onimusha etc.

But Sony does decide which games we get cause they make those developers to do game for us.

Why should i care about what games GC,xbox get and Is it so wrong of me to be happy to have RE back in PS?
You're missing a lot of my points, i think. For starters, Sony doesnt make the developers do shit. 3rd party developers are independant entities. They make their own decisions. I know that most developers will just make a game in a way that is most profitable for them (I basically said that in my last post). I was saying that there are a handful of REAL developers who are essentially true artists and make games the way they want to while thinking about money second.

I never said that you didnt like the game developers, but you are giving Sony all the credit for things that game developers have done.

What is wrong is just thinking about one system, blindly arguing for it and using every opportunity to show what's good about it. You don't have to own all the systems but for the love of god, don't just go around saying Playstation this and Sony that. You don't have enough perspective to give a useful/informative opinion. I've heard it all before and it annoys me.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Well I can settle all of this. Buy my BOOK!! Yes the 'Chronicles of someone who got an asswhooping'. It's truely a good read about um...useless crap that never comes in handy.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Femto wrote:Re-read my post. It's not about the controls (though they do suffer in ports), it's about button layout.

You think Ocarina of Time will work better on an X-Box layout? Or Devil May Cry 3 on a Gamecube?

Don't talk nonsense, it's not about what scheme you're used to, it's about what the developers had in mind when they created it.
I played Ocarina of Time on N64 twice and then a third time on the GC as part of the Zelda collectors disc, and I didnt have any problems with a different button layout. I guess some people are just more adaptable than others.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Gaiseric wrote:
Femto wrote:Re-read my post. It's not about the controls (though they do suffer in ports), it's about button layout.

I played Ocarina of Time on N64 twice and then a third time on the GC as part of the Zelda collectors disc, and I didnt have any problems with a different button layout. I guess some people are just more adaptable than others.
Not all ports have control problems. The Master Quest port has some apparent porting issues though. I remember it kinda stalling whenever I went to save the game, though that's relatively unimportant.

And once again, comparing a port from one system to a FAR superior system, isnt a good example. The RE4 port is a downgrade in hardware capabilities.

Oh yea and i remember having a slight problem with the controls. The C buttons were better to use than the C stick for changing weapons. So THERE! :lol:
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

BasouKazuma wrote:
Libaax wrote:

You're missing a lot of my points, i think. For starters, Sony doesnt make the developers do shit. 3rd party developers are independant entities. They make their own decisions. I know that most developers will just make a game in a way that is most profitable for them (I basically said that in my last post). I was saying that there are a handful of REAL developers who are essentially true artists and make games the way they want to while thinking about money second.

I never said that you didnt like the game developers, but you are giving Sony all the credit for things that game developers have done.

What is wrong is just thinking about one system, blindly arguing for it and using every opportunity to show what's good about it. You don't have to own all the systems but for the love of god, don't just go around saying Playstation this and Sony that. You don't have enough perspective to give a useful/informative opinion. I've heard it all before and it annoys me.
You started all this bs, i was just happy that RE4 is on PS2.

Also i didnt try to give anyone "useful/informative opinion" i dont give a shit about what people think about sony and PS, i think they rock and thats enough for me.

I dont give credit for sony for everything game developers do, but its thanks to sony some games comes to first or only to PS2.

You have misunderstand every post i wrote in this thread. I was just being a fanboy that RE is back to PS.

You know what annoy me people that puts words in other people mouths and those who take everything too serious......

Now let this die cause i dont even know what we are talking about anymore.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Gaiseric wrote:I played Ocarina of Time on N64 twice and then a third time on the GC as part of the Zelda collectors disc, and I didnt have any problems with a different button layout. I guess some people are just more adaptable than others.
You're missing my point completely.

Forget about it.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

^ Hah. Wow.

Anyway. I own both copies. I'm a big RE fan and wanted the extra goodies that came with RE4 for pre ordering it... It controls better on Gamecube and looks better on Gamecube, but the PS2 version has some extras. If you're a fan of the series you can't go wrong with either version.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I am surprised no one has posted pics of the PS2 version graphics compared to the GC graphics. Just one look and you will see why RE4 on PS2 is a joke. I will try and find some pics later, it is really bad. Butchered graphics like no other. And as for the Ikaruga port to GC, that port is damn near perfect. Besides the DC version was ported from arcade, so if you are just against ports period, then buy the arcade board.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Ayanami wrote:I am surprised no one has posted pics of the PS2 version graphics compared to the GC graphics. Just one look and you will see why RE4 on PS2 is a joke. I will try and find some pics later, it is really bad. Butchered graphics like no other. And as for the Ikaruga port to GC, that port is damn near perfect. Besides the DC version was ported from arcade, so if you are just against ports period, then buy the arcade board.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Whoops, never mind.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote:Basically, when you build a game for a specific console, you use that console's button layout to work with the game's content. When you port it to another system, you have to map different actions to different buttons when they wouldn't really work as well that way. Take Street Fighter 2 and it's SNES port for example, the original arcade has six face buttons and a joystick and the SNES has a D-Pad, 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons. You have to change the layout a bit and, while it might not mean a lot to people play games superficially (Gaiseric?), when you really get into the game, you start to realize why it doesn't work as well. Admittedly, the Gamecube and PS2 controllers are pretty similar, but the larger A button works better in this game, where every important action is done with it. The triggers in the Gamecube are very different to those of the PS2 and that's also another difference. I had the same trouble when playing Twin Snakes on the Cube after being used to the MGS games layout on the PS2, it just doesn't work as well. It's not that you "lose" moves, but the game itself changes because things a developer might've had in mind when designing the button layout will not work in another controller.
Ah yes, I see what you mean now. Thankfully it's a minor thing, in comparison to the overall cool factor of finally getting to play the game at least. I'm just really glad to finally own it.
Femto wrote:PS: Starnum is one of the few people I've met online that is completely open to other arguments and opinions and I really respect him for that.
Oh, why thank you. Yeah, I talk a lot of shit about close-minded people, so I try my best not to be one. I can't stand close-minded or hypocritical people, and I would never want to act like or be called one.
BasouKazuma wrote:It was definitely not about you Starnum.
Heheh, okay cool. Just wanted to make sure. Sorry, I have minut paranoia. :P

Anyway, I beat the head guy at the village. So I'm waiting to see what comes next.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:Anyway, I beat the head guy at the village. So I'm waiting to see what comes next.[/color]
Lots more.

The village is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a really big game.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Good deal.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Femto wrote:
Starnum wrote:Anyway, I beat the head guy at the village. So I'm waiting to see what comes next.[/color]
Lots more.

The village is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a really big game.

After the game, it only gets better with Mercenaries.
SirAileron
notanewb

Post by SirAileron »

Remember to *not* get used to headshots. It comes in handy.
If not for the ray of hope, the world would've been consumed in darkness already