Religio-Scientific Ethics of Cooter Burning (Split Thread)

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

religion is a very complicated subject. you can believe one thing, but there is so much stuff another can argue to refute that. for me, i believe that god has created the "best" possble world he can. he sort of guides humanity along, but humanity has free will, so it is up to them. im tired so i don't really feel like going too much into detaili :P
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

After reading a lot of these posts, i have deduced that mrfelony is full of shit.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Gaiseric wrote:After reading a lot of these posts, i have deduced that mrfelony is full of shit.
I concur. It is so true in so many different levels.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Gaiseric wrote:After reading a lot of these posts, i have deduced that mrfelony is full of shit.
Hahahahaha.

Big fan of Gaiseric, big fan.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

you got me :P. and you'd have a lot in common with Voltaire. personally, i think everything that has happened to me, and will happen to me, is the best thign that could, even up to point of losing a close one, possibly a parent. its about trust and faith. if you have enough trust and faith, you are able to accept things that happen to you even if they don't make sense.

however, its hard to argue this in the context of others, such as a child in africa killed by mercenaries. or a woman who gets raped. either way i'd much rather live in the positive mindset i do than a negative one, cause this way i at least learn from the experiences i have.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

And if I come over and stab you in the face with a screwdriver thats the best thing that could happen to you? I guess god just planned that for one of us to learn something?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

And hey, if you're a mass murderer or a rapist, as long as you believe in god, you'll go to heaven. You just won't get front row or better seats. Whereas, if an atheist who does charity work, save lives, or walk a granny cross the road, and generally do good deeds, you go to hell.

Christians or Catholics or whatever will tell you different variations. Had a huge debate with some hard core religious friends of mine, which ended with him telling me to shut the fuck up, because he was running out of things to say.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Simple man created gods to explain things he didnt understand.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

LordMune wrote:asshat theologies
Wow, this thread was/is great.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Eldo wrote:And hey, if you're a mass murderer or a rapist, as long as you believe in god, you'll go to heaven. You just won't get front row or better seats.
This is quite shallow, since demons "believe in God" too, and thez fear Him. On the other hand, I don't suppose anz of us can judge (or even has the right to) who will go there. Judgement over the soul is not a human thing.

A big Hello to my long posts! :P
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Skullkracker wrote:This is quite shallow, since demons "believe in God" too, and thez fear Him. On the other hand, I don't suppose anz of us can judge (or even has the right to) who will go there. Judgement over the soul is not a human thing.
That's what my religious friends tell me. Take it up to them. I think it's stupid.

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

*shrugs*

I never expected to convert in a flash...
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Eldo wrote:And hey, if you're a mass murderer or a rapist, as long as you believe in god, you'll go to heaven
now thats a load of shit. people saying things like that piss me off cause in my opinion that's just provacative and a bunch of lies, cause anyone who believes that needs to reexamine religion

as for getting a screwdriver in my face...i'd have to see what happens a year or 2 from now. but ya, i would find the good that came from it. It's about not always focusing on the negative on a situation, but taking every oportunity to grow or at least better yourself. instead of sitting around bitching and moaning about "why god why did you do this to me waah" (which always happens to everyone in bad scenarios), its much easier to just trust god and try and make your best of life. it is a simple and easygoing way of life.

humanity needs god, and would create god whether or not god exists.

edit: as for the whole atheist thing, thats something that i struggle with seeing as how i grew up with only atheist and jewish friends lol
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:And hey, if you're a mass murderer or a rapist, as long as you believe in god, you'll go to heaven.
Sorry, but that's a load of crap.
Gaiseric wrote:And if I come over and stab you in the face with a screwdriver thats the best thing that could happen to you? I guess god just planned that for one of us to learn something?
That would have nothing to do with God...just your own actions. I hate it when someone dies, and then someone else says something about God taking them from us, or some such. God doesn't kill people, anymore. The events that happen on this Earth are almost always the results of mankind.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Right oh, then here is something for you all to ponder.

Is it 'Free Will' or 'Predestination' ?

Baptists believe firmly in Predestination however Lutherans do not for example.

The two are mutually exclusive, either god has a plan, meaning you have no free will or god does not have a plan, and you excersise free will.

I already had this conversation with Killfile, but what do you all think?

So we get our definitions straight:
Predestination is a religious idea, under which the relationship between the beginning of things and the destiny of things is discussed. Its religious nature distinguishes it from other ideas concerning determinism and free will, and related concepts. In particular, predestination concerns God's decision to create and to govern Creation, and the extent to which God's decisions determine ahead of time what the destiny of groups and individuals will be.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination

Remember, predestination is not unique to Christianity, it is also in Islam and Judaism.

And a lot of strife has already gone into this debate with:
That this was an uneasy tension eventually became obvious with the confrontation between Augustine of Hippo and Pelagius culminating in condemnation of Pelagianism (as interpreted by Augustine) in 417. The British monk Pelagius denied Augustine's view of predestination in order to affirm that salvation is achieved by an act of free will.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I believe that God has a plan, but it's separate from Free Will. Thus both exist. You may be asking, how is that possible. It's like if I were to have a plan that goes as such.

-Rent a limo
-pick up friends
-Go to the game

-(Somebody wins the game, wherein the outcome is outside of my plan.)

-Then we go get sloshed until we can't see straight. :P

God has a plan, but he still allows mankind to have Free Will. Eventually the End Times will come, and that's like the after party, only totally different.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

or what if God brings you to a specific situation where you have to make a choice?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Skullkracker wrote:or what if God brings you to a specific situation where you have to make a choice?
supposidly your outcome is already decided. so, whats the point of free will?

Eldo was pre-destined to shove a skewdriver into [insert forum newb] head, there isn't really any choice in it. God knew exactly what you where going to do before you did it, thus there is a plan.

That flies in the face of free will.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

nope

if predestination was absolute, in the end you had nothing to do with wether you go to Heaven or Hell...
God doesn't have your personal remote control
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, if pre-destined excludes all possibility for Free Will, then no, I don't believe in that. I think of destiny as God's Plan. Thus the events that occur throughout the existence of humanity, have a flow to them. God draws out the blue prints, and man fills in the blanks.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

that is somewhat the way I see it

but your relation to God for example is entirely up to your own decision

remember Bruce Almighty
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I suggest a Hall of Fame section to put magical threads like this and my "Gutts Will Hook Up with Schierke" thread.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Uh, no. :P
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

anyone have a link to the original thread?
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

panasonic wrote:anyone have a link to the original thread?
http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=854

I just searched for the word cooter.