Movies of 2007

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Aight dude. Isnt that what I said.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I guess you guys dont know how really small and regional part of Greece Sparta was. Small population, quite so actually, and the reason for the decline( are many) is that and low birthrate due to their warped and destructive traditions that eventually wiped them out.
You know...to create perfect warriors...they had to go through out of trial and error kind of experiments...like tossing a third of their new borns over the cliffs :o) (not really necessary ofcourse...but they really believed in perfection...and whatever little anomaly you had at birth...R.I.P....).

But still, they were an really Important and dangerous faction in Greek power struggles at their height (but not enough to rival the much larger and more advanced Athenians). Simple ctiy state in every aspect but the military (wiki the founder of their system Lycurgus, a funny guy who "tricked" them to abide by those ways :lol: ) , which obviously they rocked at.

But at the end, its not about only that and its a numbers game (and losing the big majority of the people in their state was a big turning point for the worse, their slave class helots rebelled and said we wont wipe your shit anymore :lol: No way to maintain the state after it ), which they lacked in really. And having desctructive traditions and flawed thinking when it came to preserving themselves, that made it so that they only had a really short period of excellence and somewhat dominance.

In short :lol:....I only went on this annoying rant so you have had to read the end ;).....the joke is that THERE'S no way in hell they, a regional faction part of the endless Greek wars.....would have been some BIG world super power :lol: Hilarious little snip thats hard to notice maybe (but really...the Greeks were crazy bunch that were too busy kicking the shit out of eachother for any of them to do even think to turn outside their borders...not even the Athenians), but easier for me maybe(especially since you know...it said beat the persian empire :lol: the difference between them was like the size difference between China and Taiwan ;))....especially because the term world super power is a new one and never been used in describing ancient states/empires :D
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

You know you just ruined the fun of everything? We know all that lame militaristic stuff.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

ImageImage
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Malvado wrote:You know you just ruined the fun of everything? We know all that lame militaristic stuff.
Thanks for noticing my specialty.

Btw, you didnt seem to have noticed the world power part...it could you have saved the rant :twisted:
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I did notice the world power part. Just that "redirected from madness" takes precedence.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I didnt get that part.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Tempest wrote:See Also: Wikipedia's Page on Madness
someone removed Sparta.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Malvado wrote:
Tempest wrote:See Also: Wikipedia's Page on Madness
someone removed Sparta.
Oh God DAMNIT, those Wikipedia whores can't let anyone have any fun nowadays.

*EDIT* - A mysterious and anonymous party with a sense of humor may or may not have changed it back to what is was supposed to be. Suck it Wikipedia .
ImageImage
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I saw Breach last night. Chris Cooper did a great job.

Can't wait til next friday.
"Context is for Kings"
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Went out and saw 300. Loved it, some stuff was added that wasn't in the comic but oh well. Great movie, score isn't needed.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

300 = Sex
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

Am i the only one who thought this movie was very racist...Khashayar (Xerxes) the great is black? and he is dressed up like a slave... I feel sorry for Persian ppl.... Persian ppl where not bunch of savage as portrayed in this movie, they where far more advance than greece. Frankly i don’t even think that this battle took place, we all know greek and roman historian are well known for exaggerating and lairing to make themselves look good... anyways bravo for another great propaganda movie.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I think you are just looking into things. In the 300 Spartans, Xerxes and all the Persians were white. The guy that plays Xerxes in 300 is white I hear.

Them looking like monsters and slaves was just to get the point across of the Greek's enemies. Kind of like the Vikings in Pathfinder or the barbarians in the Battles of Britain (well I thought they were the bad guys).

edit: The Persians also had "magic". So they were much more advanced then the Spartans. I never saw the Persians as Savage in the whole movie. The use of all those cultures and animals was pretty uber.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

They kinda where savages dude.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Oro wrote:Am i the only one who thought this movie was very racist...Khashayar (Xerxes) the great is black? and he is dressed up like a slave... I feel sorry for Persian ppl.... Persian ppl where not bunch of savage as portrayed in this movie, they where far more advance than greece. Frankly i don’t even think that this battle took place, we all know greek and roman historian are well known for exaggerating and lairing to make themselves look good... anyways bravo for another great propaganda movie.

So Oro, have you seen the movie or read thew novel at all, or did you simply assume that if Xerxes was played by a black guy that this movie was racist? (Although the point is actually moot since the guy who played Xerxes wasn't black at all, he is italian and portugeuse LINK) I haven't seen the film, but it if is as close to the book (Which I have read) as everyone says it is, there is nothing racist about the portrayal of the persians, In fact if anyone is portrayed negatively in the movie, it would be the Spartans (due to their brutality towrds their enemies and their children). The only "universal flaw" the persians have is that they are overconfident (And rightfully so) about their victory due to their superior numbers. And yes, the battle actually happened, although it has been found that it was not 300 against 1,000,000 as protrayed in the movie/book/myth, it was more like 7,000 against 200,000 (Although no one really knows for sure how big the persian side was, some historians have put the persian army as large as 2,000,000). The "300 myth" is the account of 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians covering the retreat of the Greek army. Nonethelss, the entire battle has always served as an account of how numbers alone cannot win against strategy and terrain. If you are finding racism here, it's got to be because you're looking for it.
ImageImage
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Yeah, you are on your own on this one, Oro.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I could bother pointing out the same phenomena Oro is pointing out, by bringing up other movies, which claim to be historically correct or accurate (many movies have insulted many cultures, and made ignorant fools more ignorant by brainwashing them to think thats how it was) . But come on Oro, you are complaining about 300? Where did it say its trying to be accurate?

First we all know how the real Xerxes would look like, but having black people in the persin Empire wouldnt suprise at all(except the emperor himself) because it was a huge empire of controlling territories in 3 different continents.But a moot point still, Xerxes is played by a white Brazilian guy (he is in Lost btw). He was painted and made look like Dhahsim of Street Fighter simply because its a Frank Miller comic. As in he stylized the hell out of the story, making it look like in extremely black and white scenario, good versus evil (and again, it kicks ass for it). Hence they look like savages and their Emperor looks like someone who enjoys every fetish imagineable.

If you read the short story comic, you wouldnt claim that bullshit about insulting persians. Because its so stylized to the fullest that its 1% accurate in its portrayal, but get this...they arent claiming to be historically correct. Complain when movie makers claim to be historically accurate(like every crap Mel Gibson does).

I have seen other ridicolous complaints about this movie...like why would spartans look like hairless metrosexuals with no cheast hair? If one is to complain about historical inaccuracies, you should start with why Spartans are going to Battle nekkid :lol:
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Shaka Zulu wrote: Because its so stylized to the fullest that its 1% accurate in its portrayal, but get this...they arent claiming to be historically correct. Complain when movie makers claim to be historically accurate(like every crap Mel Gibson does).
Braveheart was fucking fantastic. It is accurate because that movie rewrote history!
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I like Braveheart as a movie. Excellent period piece. But it didnt claim to be loosely based on history. The frigging moron claimed that was the real history more or less, and millions of bozo's believed him. Glorifying a ruthless gang leader as he was some noble revolutionary.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

He was a revolutionary. He may or may not have been noble though.
Ellen
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Ellen »

I saw Ghost Rider a couple of weeks ago, I was going in with so little expectation of it, that it ended up being rather entertaining. I suspended disbelief and just hoped like hell that it would be relatively good acting. I wasn't expecting to laugh during the movie, but that's what most of the theatre (including myself) ended up doing for about 30% of the movie.

I saw 300 yesterday. It was pretty good. The battle scenes were awesome. I liked the narration and also that many of the lines in the movie were historic quotes regarding the battle itself. I didn't really think the mild sex scenes were necessary (made it seem blue movie-ish) and some of the things were pretty far out there. Like Xerxes looked like he was at least 8 or 9 feet tall compared to Leonidus.

There were a lot of the points in the movie where I just kept thinking... This is JUST LIKE BERSERK. OMG. Like when there were in the village and the Immortals had made that crude "statue" out of the bodies of the villagers and I could easily relate the Kushans with the Persians. Anybody else notice this?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Xeres did think he was a god so prolly a good trick making him look bigger than he is.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Ellen wrote:There were a lot of the points in the movie where I just kept thinking... This is JUST LIKE BERSERK. OMG. Like when there were in the village and the Immortals had made that crude "statue" out of the bodies of the villagers and I could easily relate the Kushans with the Persians. Anybody else notice this?
I was thinking the same thing. It made me think a live-action Berserk movie could actually be done right.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Gaiseric wrote: I was thinking the same thing. It made me think a live-action Berserk movie could actually be done right.
Not in Hollywood.

But then, without Hollywood it wouldn't look that good.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.