PS3 Thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

So why get a system at launch then?
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Dont ask me, I didnt get it.

But If I could afford it, I would do it still. But I would be much more hesitant still. Even if I dont buy the big hype of next-gen, it would be still sweet to have PS3 or whatever. Its not the first time one has had to wait months for the best games to come out, and not the last. Resistance and Motorstorm are interesting games enough to kill time with. Especially RE for me, I can waste heaps amount of joyful time on decent online shooters (and pretty much everyone who bought it says its great deal of fun online).
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Libaax wrote: You have PS3, did you buy it cause Motorstorm or just cause you wanted PS3 early?
mainly because I had 600 dollars to blow. Got my xbox360 for the same reason and i mean come on, I brought CoD2 and DoA4! Resistance and Motorstorm were games I wanted to play really bad though.

MOTORSTORM TOOK MY FUCKING MANHOOD THAT SHIT IS HARD.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Ayanami wrote:So why get a system at launch then?
if you are like my friend who has a 1080p tv, then as a blu ray player, since its the cheapest one. The new bond looks just beautiful, and watching The Departed on it too was just too damn good.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Shaka Zulu wrote:They buy it for the console, not necessarily for the launch games. PS2's launch games was ALOT crappier , and you know it too. Because we HAD to buy Shadow of Memories to play a frigging game if you recall. Nothing else was there.
Yeah but at least after 3 months they had a decent library of games. It's been almost 6 months now... and the only things they have worth anything are Resistance and VF5. Motorstorm is okay.

The 3 new games being produced by Sony / Namco Bandai look excellent, especially Brave Arms. White Knight Story looks great... but when the hell is all this going to be released?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Exactly why i am waiting.

Nobody knows when the libarary will have more good games.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

DarkenRahlX wrote: Yeah but at least after 3 months they had a decent library of games. It's been almost 6 months now... and the only things they have worth anything are Resistance and VF5. Motorstorm is okay.
Nah, it was longer then three months or at least longer for any games to catch my eye.

And Motorstorm is great, just impossibly hard. It makes me curse and cry.
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

Femtov2 wrote:
Malvado wrote:You sure? Itagaki and others from Team ninja was talking about Sigma in a interview and what he added.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=3239
Itagaki himself said, and this I'm translating into my own words, that he wants nothing to do with Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

A part of his team was basically saying that they want to expand the Ninja Gaiden franchise by porting it to the PS3 and Itagaki said "alright, do it, but you're on your own."
I was wondering by expanding are they going to have longer chapters or just more enemies to fight without any "new" weapons?
Syoyohara
imanewbie

Post by Syoyohara »

Interesting. There is a lot of hate for the ps3 dispite that this is a ps3 forum however the ps3 is good for gaming as if it did not exist japanese gaming in america would be limited to say the least. Small gaming companies like NIS and Atlus wont jump ship to Xbox lets not kid ourselves. No Im not some ps3 fanboi I dont have one at the moment I am just trying to state the obvious.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Syoyohara wrote:Interesting. There is a lot of hate for the ps3 dispite that this is a ps3 forum

You think this is bad, take a look at the 360 thread (Thanks a lot, Libbax :wink:)
Syoyohara wrote:however the ps3 is good for gaming as if it did not exist japanese gaming in america would be limited to say the least.

What what wha-? I'd make a rebuttal but I don't know what the hell you just said.
Syoyohara wrote:Small gaming companies like NIS and Atlus wont jump ship to Xbox lets not kid ourselves.

FYI, Atlus isn't exactly a "small" company (Unless you think Capcom is the only other company on the planet). And seeing as they've published 2 games for the original XBox, 1 already for the Wii, and almost a dozen for the DS, the concept of Atlus "Staying true" to Sony and the PS3 is laughable. The fact that they haven't even announced any publishes for the PS3 doesn't help your theory much either
Syoyohara wrote:No Im not some ps3 fanboi

Could of fooled me.
Syoyohara wrote:I dont have one at the moment
Why doesn't that fact suprise me in the least?
Syoyohara wrote:I am just trying to state the obvious.

Try harder next time.

:pwned:
ImageImage
Syoyohara
imanewbie

Post by Syoyohara »

Ok "mr Tempest" ill try harder now. Atlus doesnt produce games with the same budgets as capcom(the company you mentioned) meaning that they do not have to publish several for several systems. Furthermore I noticed that you completely avoided my coment on NIS and they are kind of small but their releases are good.

Furthermore if im a ps3 fanboi then your a 360 one. Well no your worse than I am as you are posting your clear hatred about the ps3 in a ps3 fourm and a 360 fourm no one should hate something that much. Personally I'm not really happy with any system right now except the DS but that doesnt mean I do not see the potential of the ps3.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

This isn't a flame, just some helpful nominclature for you. This discussion is inside of a ps3 thread that happens to be in a gaming forum that is in an overall general Evil_Genius (Mindwerks) Forum.

Also, firefox has spell check, you can tell because the words are highlighted in red. However if you use IE, I've also provided a spellcheck feature for you, please use it.

Tempest never once called you a fanboi/fanboy so you're fishing/trolling there.

PS3 is a glorified brick with blu-ray player that will eventually get some good games that I will want to play. I just refuse to pay 599+ USD for a gaming machine when I can buy a Wii or XBox360 with games or stick to my trusted general purpose machine and play games.

One day, we can hope that the price of the machine will come down then I can justify spending money for a machine that is purely for entertainment.

Let's face it, all the hate is directed at the Sony Hype which offers us the world, but who's end result thus far is a lackluster deal.

The 360 also had an incredibly expensive price-tag at the beginning too and there is no way I'm justifying that amount money for that either. Not to mention the many flaws that first appeared.

Obviously, you came here to argue so feel free to. Just remember there will be push back.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Oh goodie gumdrops we have ourselves an old fashioned fire fight here.

Syoyohara wrote:Atlus doesnt produce games with the same budgets as capcom(the company you mentioned)
Which was exactly my point. Just because Atlus is small when compared to someone like Capcom, it doesn't mean they are a "Small Company" It's like comparing a Hummer to an 18-Wheeler and saying "That Hummer is a small vehicle."

Syoyohara wrote:meaning that they do not have to publish several for several systems.
They don't have to, and yet they've been doing this for years and will most likely continue to for several years.
Syoyohara wrote:Furthermore I noticed that you completely avoided my coment on NIS and they are kind of small but their releases are good.
Well it occured to me that you could have been correct with NIS, since everything I remember them releasing has been on a Sony console (Which after a quick Wiki search was found to be correct, they've only released on Sony consoles) I noticed you completely avoided my comment on Atlus and that they have yet to announce anything for the PS3.
Syoyohara wrote:Furthermore if im a ps3 fanboi then your a 360 one.
Oh this is just stellar logic right there. "You made fun of Console A so obviously you must be a fanboi of Console B!"
Syoyohara wrote:Well no your worse than I am as you are posting your clear hatred about the ps3 in a ps3 fourm and a 360 fourm
Hey it wasn't my fault that PS3 talk came into the 360 forum, if you actually looked at the thread you would see that Libbax was the one who started talking about the PS3 in that thread, so you can blame him for that. As for the PS3 forum, if I can't talk about what I don't like about a console/game, then what the hell is the point of having a forum about gaming? I mean, it's not like I'm trolling around going "PS3 SUCKS!!! $599 LOLOLOOLLOOOLOL!!!!11!!!ONE!1!" I tend to back up my opinons with facts. You should try it sometime. And guess what? I don't own a 360 or intend to buy one for at least a year or so :oops:
Syoyohara wrote:no one should hate something that much.
You've obviously never met Femto. You are going to love him.
Syoyohara wrote:Personally I'm not really happy with any system right now except the DS but that doesnt mean I do not see the potential of the ps3.
Potential's fine, but I don't buy consoles just for potential. I buy them because good games have been released/announced. Like I told Libbax, if everyone bought consoles based on "Potential" then the original XBox would have won the last generation and the PSP would be manhandling the DS in handhelds. If that's not enough, I'll tell you exactly why I don't want to buy a PS3 (I'll try and sound as un-fanboish as possible, but that'll be pretty hard while I'm staring at my non-existant 360 I seem to love so much):

1.)$599 is too much for a console right now. I know it's a great price for a Blu-Ray player, but I don't want or need a Blu-Ray player, just like I didn't buy a PS2 for a DVD player.

2.)Sony no longer has 3rd party developers by the balls like it did with the PS2, so now you can get better games for the 360 and/or the Wii.

3.)This is more of a point 2b but whatever. Here's a list of exclusive games I'd want to buy for the PS3

* White Knight Story
* Virtua Fighter 5 Oops, that lost exclusivity!
* Devil May Cry 4 Oops, that lost exclusivity, too!
* Metal Gear Solid 4 (Although I like many others think this will lose exclusivity as well)

Wii and 360 have their share of problems, but it's not like Nintendo and Micrsoft (And their respective fanbois) are trying to convince people that they are in fact strengths in disguise.
ImageImage
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I am still amused at the fact that people think companies like NIS and Atlus are going to do most of their business on PS3 just because it is a sony machine.

Gaming is a business, all those companies made games for the PS2 because it dominated the most a console has ever dominated pretty much. All those companies are going to continue releasing games for the PS2 (Especially the over rated NIS) until it they can not milk it for any more. Once that is done, they will most likely release games for what ever is the dominating force.

Soooooooo, many of your favorite RPGs and what not will probably be released on the DS if I were a betting man. Dragon Quest IX has already made the move.

Oh and there is no way that PS3 is going to defeat the 360 when the 360 has it beat by 7 million units or something like that last time I checked.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I need to poke hokiecsgrad to post in here, from a business point of view he is perfect to lay down some logic on your asses. He is probably the only individual here to actually run a game development studio.

Inca Gold ring any bells?

Far be it from me to put words in his mouth, but from what he has related to me it is business game, not a game business. Making a game is a bitch, and you want the most bang for your buck so going multi-platform is the best thing you can do when there is no clear majority in your target demographic in the console market.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

The thing about Atlus and NIS being small companies made me giggle. They seemed to be making some bank last I heard. Atlus has Odin Sphere coming up and Nis has Grim Grimoire. More money there.

Then the whole "if I'm a PS3 fanboy then you are a 360 one" killed me. Are you in 6th grade?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Cuddles with his PS3*

Motor Storm isn’t terribly hard, it just takes some getting used to. It’s a great game though, the only racer to ever hold my attention for so long anyway. The online competition is always pretty stiff though.

As of late Oblivion has been trying to steal my soul, great stuff. Obtaining the cure for vampirism is pretty darn hard though, heh.
Have you guys heard of Folding@Home? Pretty interesting stuff there. PS3 works to help cure cancer, heh. I’m looking forward to the “Homeâ€
Last edited by Starnum on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I ran the Folding@Home back in the late 90s, the really interesting thing is that because the client on the ps3 is stripped down from the one on a generic x86 computer, it 'appears' to chew through units like they are nothing.

This was a real marketing coup until the facts come hammering down that in the ps3 client only works on units that are trivial and the cell actually under-performs on the non-trivial units.

Straight from the FAQ at Stanford:
http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html
What type of calculations the PS3 client is capable of running?
The PS3 right now runs what are called implicit solvation calculations, including some simple ones (sigmodal dependent dielectric) and some more sophisticated ones (AGBNP, a type of Generalized Born method from Prof. Ron Levy's group at Rutgers). In this respect, the PS3 client is much like our GPU client. However, the PS3 client is more flexible, in that it can also run explicit solvent calculations as well, although not at the same speed increase relative to PC's. We are working to increase the speed of explicit solvent on the PS3 and would then run these calculations on the PS3 as well. In a nutshell, the PS3 takes the middle ground between GPU's (extreme speed, but at limited types of WU's) and CPU's (less speed, but more flexibility in types of WU's).
The cell is certainly a good chip and will probably find it's way into more hardware eventually. Right now, it is just over-hyped and under-performing.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, that's good to know, I guess. However, it's not like Sony HAD to get involved with this project. Helping out in anyway, even if it's just a little, seems like a good move to me. *Shrugs*
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Starnum wrote:Well, that's good to know, I guess. However, it's not like Sony HAD to get involved with this project. Helping out in anyway, even if it's just a little, seems like a good move to me. *Shrugs*
Or someone at Stanford has Sony stock. There is also the possibility that it was a coup by Sony to help write the client and update it into the firmware upgrade of the ps3 as a way to 'boast' about the cell processor.

Stanford's program is wonderful, don't get me wrong. I'm just to cynical about the reason why Sony would do this if there wasn't something in it for them as well. Businesses are out for money, pure and simple. If it happens to 'help' cure cancer, why the hell not. Ultimately it is up to you as a ps3 owner if you want to run the client, and as a someone who has worked with electronics of all types for a long time, ps3's life expectancy will be dramatically reduced by keeping the software on.

$599 investment in protein folding, a donation of time/money/energy to the Stanford project that reduces the life-span of the machine you bought for entertainment.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*Chuckles* Always the skeptic eh? Heh, as if anyone here would think Sony's hand in this had anything to do with anything other than money and publicity.

Anyway, F@H is good stuff. I recommend you guys check it out, and help with the project if you can.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Well all I have been using my PS3 for is storing music (Tool in 5.1 sounds insane :D) and watching my growing anime collection.
I am really looking forward towards Heavenly Sword and Lair.
But oh well, patience is a virtue, right?
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I bought a ps3 at launch... just to sell it. I mean I'm going to get one eventually. Theres some games I want to play, but my ps2 is doing fine right now. The $600 isnt too much of an issue, but first comes the ~$2000 hd lcd tv. Looking at this topic I hoped there wouldn't be any console bashing... much to my chagrin I was wrong. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses. I remember back in the day, I had a snes and my friend had an genesis and neither of us bitched at how much the other system sucked. -__-

Saturn is my fav system though.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

SNES and Genesis were awesome. PS3 just plain sucks.

When good games are finally released for the damn thing, (and I am talking exclusives) then you can start talking about its strengths. Don't buy in to that raw potential bull shit.

Games make the console, not the other way around.

But yeah, Saturn is the best system evar.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Just wanted to say, that the next Final Fantasy would not be PS3 exclusive, as previous series has been with the Sony console. Rumours say that it might be released on the 360 and with the Wii, but nothing definite.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am