Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Aetherfukz »

Tonbo wrote: but I can't give it a fair shake because I could only find the English dub which was horrific.
Oh yeah the english Azumanga Daioh dub is absolutely horrible. Feels like getting permanently stabbed into both ears with butcher knifes. While the japanese original is of course the truest, the german dub was especially close to the japanese one. Actually the best german dubbed anime I've ever seen, both in translation and voices.
imanewbie

Post by Avatar Of Desolation »

Currently watching the second season of Code Geass, DBZ, (never did see all of it.) Naruto, and Bleach. Just finished Elfen Lied.

Anybody else think Naruto and Bleach have sort of lost their flavor? There's just so little progress I can't sit through one episode a week anymore.
Truth seldom makes room for comfort.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Just recently watched the first episode of Code Geass. It's...um...yeah. I don't know yet, but hopefully good. As for Naruto and Bleach, the manga's are great, I'm not watching the animes much unless I have several to crunch on. ;)
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

Just started downloading Dattebayo's release of the Shippuuden movie..prolly check that out tonight. Other than that, I'm about to finish Now and then, here and there..I hope the king guy gets owned at the end. I'll probably start the 2nd season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei after this.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'm currently quite on the High School Comedy trip... so Code Geass again got postponed because after finishing Lucky Star yesterday I started Great Teacher Onizuka which is hilarious so far.

Oh and btw, how cool that Konata mentions in one episode of Lucky Star, when the girls try to lift a heavy pole, that "The Dragon Slayer is probably this heavy!", Berserk reference ftw.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

I watched the Shippuuden movie today too and thought it was pretty good. I also started watching the Tower of Druaga... so far it has been very recommendable. The first episode had some good laughs. I tried a bunch of first episodes for a couple new series but nothing else grabbed me.
miyagiCE
Tastes like burning!

Post by miyagiCE »

I'm watching four series (how very unordinary of me, I usually don't watch any anime at all, for they are nothing but bloated CG bitches these days):

Kurenai --
I started watching this because I thought the set-up seemed similar to that of Aishiteruze Baby. Turns out it's a little different, with the guy's sweeper job and the horn growing out of his elbow. Almost Zetman-y. Good stuff.

The Tower of Druaga --
One of my staffers gave me a crunchyroll link the other day and told me to watch the vid. I clicked, watched the first five minutes and knew I definitely had to download this. Easily the best this season has to offer. Great comedy gold, sweetened by a little romance and heroism. Add in good animation, a catchy OST and CG in bearable measures (Hey, at least it's not the flashy type. GitS2/Appleseed anyone?) and you have a reeeeaal good and enjoyable show.

Mahou Shoujotai --
AKA Magical Girl Squad. This is something I stumpled upon while browsing AnimeForever-Fansubs' website. The latest news post had some cryptic message about them picking up a new series after lots of hardships about obtaining the DVDs for the project. Not even having read its title, I clicked on the comments section to see what people thought about it, mainly because I was bored. Then I saw someone saying how Mahou Shoujotai was their absolute AF-F favourite and that they really loved the group for picking up the follow-up story as well. So far, so good. Now mildly interested as I was, I went over to AniDB to see what the ruckus was about. Turns out it's about a girl called Alice who wants to become a witch to make people happy with magic. I didn't really have to read much more than that, being a great fan of anything "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." Thus, I downloaded the first ep and was -utterly- impressed. First off, it has no catchy JPop/Rock intro -- it's instrumental. I suppose that alone is not that uncommon in itself, however when combined with what you see on the screen, it feels monumental. Epic. I'm being serious here, be the anime about little girls and magic however much it likes, it's got AWESOME music, an artsy touch, cute, lovable characters, a somewhat non-shallow storyline and only very little CG (compared to other shit that's floating around). I'm recommending this to anyone who doesn't need gore-spitting monsters being slashed in half by huge, blood-splattered swords to enjoy an anime. Here's a link to the intro I was referencing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Do--TgdUk0g. Go watch it. Right now.

Abenobashi --
Haven't seen much of it yet. A friend recommended it to me last night, so I took a look a the first ep. Apparently it was an instant-classic at its time, and I can already see why. Lotsa comedy, good artwork and nice characters. No angsty shit or anything so far, but I can totally see the theme coming up in the later eps.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I'm watching a couple as well. I'm only going to mention Macross right now since I'm a Macross Whore!. Anyway it somewhat reminds me of Plus with the valkyrie designs and what not. We shall see with the action and the singing as well.
"Context is for Kings"
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just finished watching Baccano!

I loved it. It has the right amount of everything, ranging from simplistic humor to extremely gory fights.
Once you get along with the fact that nothing happens in a chronological order, it becomes one of the most enjoyable series I have ever watched.

Everyone should watch it. Seriously.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Well if you havent watched Baccano yet, your late... Thats how good it is. Here is a little more encouragement, a little bit false but not too much. If you watched the Berserk anime a year or more after it came out, you know how much being late means to your crackhead life.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just started watching Trigun.

I am not sure yet if I like it or not. Its pretty fun to watch, albeit a little too childish.
The main character's description sounded a little like gatt's, but it turns out they are nothing alike. Too bad.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The King
imanewbie

Post by The King »

bleach naruto shippuuden and berserk again..lol
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Code geases I am watching
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Finito wrote:Well if you havent watched Baccano yet, your late... Thats how good it is. Here is a little more encouragement, a little bit false but not too much. If you watched the Berserk anime a year or more after it came out, you know how much being late means to your crackhead life.
Oh shit, I´m really late then :shock:

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Vexille.....just watched it. I thought it was beautiful to watch.

The movie had an interesting perspective considering it was a Japanese production. If you've seen it you'd understand what I mean......hopefully.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I picked up Code Geass when it started on Adult Swim. It's so weird, I've always been way ahead of Adult Swim, but since they started showing something I hadn't already seen for once, I can't fall behind. It seems alright so far.

I also just started watching Zegapain. It seems really freakin awesome and interesting.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Dude, you shouldn't just watch that crappy dubbed version they re airing on Adult Swim.
I, having already watched the original Japanese version, watched it while I was staying on NY and it left me wondering if it was really the same anime I had enjoyed so much back home.

If you want, I can send you the direct download links via PM. Believe me, its worth the hassle.
~Diogenes of Sinope
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I watched If You Listen Closely (Whisper of the Heart) on a big-ass screen yesterday. All I can say is holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Halfway through it dethroned Spirited Away as my all-time favorite Ghibli movie, and by the end it had killed an cannibalized Laputa and Nausicaä.

If you've never been to Japan but want to go there, just watch Whisper of the Heart and save yourself a plane ticket. Because that is exactly what Japan looks like. The grass and leaves are a bit greener than reality, but other than that it's almost eerie how well they've managed to replicate a (relatively) small, mountainous Japanese cityscape without resorting to live-action footage.

It really is too bad that the director, who was slated to succeed Miyazaki as Ghibli's moneymaker, died in 1998. Mimi wo sumaseba/If you listen closely/Whisper of the Heart was the only film he directed.

It's also the prequel to The Cat Returns, which was released before Whisper of the Heart in the US. The Cat Returns is quite, quite different from Whisper as I understand it, though I have yet to see it myself.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:Dude, you shouldn't just watch that crappy dubbed version they re airing on Adult Swim.
I, having already watched the original Japanese version, watched it while I was staying on NY and it left me wondering if it was really the same anime I had enjoyed so much back home.

If you want, I can send you the direct download links via PM. Believe me, its worth the hassle.
I'll consider it, but right now I'm only casually watching it. I hate most American VA'ing but I'm not too worried about it right now, b/c I'm so busy watching other things. Mainly Zegapain...did I mention that it totally kicks ass. The plot is really interesting IMO, and it has mecha, and I do love me some mecha. :)
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

The only series I'm watching that's currently airing is Gintama..other than that, I've been casually watching Spice and wolf and Planetes on the side. I caught up with the releases of Vagabond this afternoon so I'll probably look for something else to read or watch.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Watched the first 8 episodes of Claymore the last few days. It's awesome. Somehow reminds me of Berserk... huge zweihänder, killing demons, first a little story of the here and now, then 6 episodes flashback of how the hero(ine) got where (s)he is now. Until now I really love it.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

My problem with anime is that I enjoy the anime from the late 80s, early 90s too much so I'm so out of the loop with con goers. The newest I've seen is Deathnote, and even that's a little aged by people's standards. Could someone tell me something that's new that's good? Doesn't matter what genre, though I don't really like hentai, yaoi, or yuri. I really need to get up on current anime.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Well from what I've read Claymore just finished airing in japan fall 2007. Relativly new so, and if you love Berserk you sure will like Claymore too.
Lucky Star is also almost brand new, extremly funny, but pokes a lot of fun onto other animes (even Berserk in one instance) like Haruhi, so you'd have to watch them (especially Haruhi) before Lucky Star to get all the references.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The one anime im watching right now is Darker Than Black. Saw ep 5-9 last night. Now i will watch ep 10-15.

Whats Baccano ? A fight anime ?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

some dude on wikipedia wrote:Overview

"Baccano", which Narita translates as "stupid commotion", is Italian for "ruckus". Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.

[edit] Story

In 1711, a group of alchemists seeking eternal life gathered on a boat to summon the "demon" that held the secret. The demon agreed to give them what they wanted—an elixir of life, the method to create more, and the secret to ending their new-found existence. The following night, alchemists began disappearing, "eaten" by one of their own. Realizing the threat posed by being close together, they decided to scatter across the world.

Centuries later, in Prohibition-era America, the immortals have come together once again, and the "stupid commotion" starts.
That's Baccano. Haven't seen it myself but it is definitely on my need-to-watch list.