harry potter fans

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

There's supposed to be a huge spoiler warning here.
I refuse to read this thread...
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Then dont read it.....
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

exactly what I would have answered to myself...
:shock: :oops: oh shit...I'M READING IT! WHAAAAAAAAA!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Then we agree....
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

TheDarkness wrote:so did frank herbert.... but he did more... he created an entire galaxy, a whole new form of politics. He created several religions...

The only thing Tolkien invented was the setting. The rest was all kinda taken from that which is almost a rule book in terms of fantasy worlds... The whole goblin thing and all
you do realize that Tolkien invented the languages seen through-out the books don't you? i'm sorry but that is simply badass.

sorry to stray off topic...
*SPOILER*
psi29a wrote:The wife is reading the first HP book now, says its a fun read.
i'd wait to start reading them until after JKR comes out with the last book, i wish that's what i would have done

RAB= i assume that it is Sirius's younger brother Regulus (not sure what his middle name is). only the Death Eaters called voldemort the "Dark Lord" and Regulus was a death eater who we know left the group and the belief is that voldemort killed him. it would fit quite well except for the fact that Regulus is believed to be a fairly week wizard, so how did he manage to get the horcrux out of the cave by himself?
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

TheDarkness wrote:
Nazgûl wrote:My theory is that Dumbledore ordered snape to kill him...using occlumency,Since both of them are good at legilimency and occlumency it would have easily gone unnoticed by low level death eaters ,Because Dumbledore knew that he might not survive anywayz after drinking all that green potion and he didnt wanted to blow up snape's cover.

How did i came to this conclusion? cuz he didnt kill Dumbledore as soon as he got on the roof, he looked at Dumbledore for a moment (communicating using occlumency) and felt disgusted at the thought that he had to kill Dumbledore then Dumbledore beged him and he used the Avada Kedavra curse on Dumbledore.

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/8067/snape5xj.png[/img]

This would be correct if occlumency was indeed a technique to read minds.... however by reading book 5 you know that Snape was teaching Harry Occlumency to PREVENT the reading of his mind.
Didnt harry use Occlumency accidentally on snape and saw little bit of his childhood,so i think it can work both ways.
Last edited by Oro on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Yea thats true. *loves the quick reply^^*
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

nope harry used the pensieve (or what it was called) that snape was storing his memories in... And snape hated that. Inside the persieve he saw how his father was dangling snape from his ankle... and harry's mother made his father stop
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

I think you should read those Occlumency chapters again.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

Mind reading is possible if you connect to the mind of someone. But that connection works both ways. Because snape had certain memories that he did not want harry to see he stored them in the pensieve. But i am getting the book this instant so that i can verifie it...

I'll edit this post in a few minutes

Edit: On page 563 of the order of the Pheonix Harry discovers the Pensieve in Snape's classroom. He takes a dive into it and discovers the memorie in shich snape is bullied by James, Sirius and Lupin. Snape first was immobilized and then was cursed to have pink bubbles come from his mind.
Lilly (harry's mum) urged James to stop. He however as a reaction on a curse thrown by Snape used the curse to make Snape dangle upside down from his ankle in the air. Lilly then forced James to stop and said she hated James. At this point harry was discoved.

And the second to last chapter in which Dumbledore explains everything about the prophesie to harry he also says that Harry and Voldemort shared a mental link. The occlumency lessons were arranged to help Harry protect himself against this link and close off his mind to Voldemort. In other words is was to PREVENT the reading of thoughts and emotions.

So I was correct on both parts :wink:
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

Actually you are wrong,harry DID broke into snape's mind in an occlumency lesson and saw him as a kid around 5 or 6 crying before snape stopped him.it happend before Pensieve thing,like i said you should read those chapters again.maybe i'll just post those lines here after i wake up,too sleepy right now.
A hundred Dementors were swooping towards Harry across the lake in the grounds… he screwed up his face in concentration… they were coming closer… he could see the dark holes beneath their hoods… yet he could also see Snape standing in front of him, his eyes fixed on Harry’s face, muttering under his breath… and somehow, Snape was growing clearer, and the Dementors were growing fainter…
Harry raised his own wand.
‘Protego!’
Snape staggered - his wand flew upwards, away from Harry -and suddenly Harry’s mind was teeming with memories that were not his: a hook-nosed man was shouting at a cowering woman, while a small dark-haired boy cried in a corner… a greasy-haired teenager sat alone in a dark bedroom, pointing his wand at the ceiling, shooting down flies… a girl was laughing as a scrawny boy tried to mount a bucking broomstick -
‘ENOUGH!’
Harry felt as though he had been pushed hard in the chest; he staggered several steps backwards, hit some of the shelves covering Snape’s walls and heard something crack. Snape was shaking slightly, and was very white in the face.
The back of Harry’s robes was damp. One of the jars behind himhad broken when he fell against it; the pickled slimy thing within was swirling in its draining potion.
‘Reparo,’ hissed Snape, and the jar sealed itself at once. ‘Well, Potter… that was certainly an improvement…’ Panting slightly, Snape straightened the Pensieve in which he had again stored some of his thoughts before starting the lesson, almost as though he was checking they were still there. ‘I don’t remember telling you to use a Shield Charm… but there is no doubt that it was effective…’
Harry did not speak; he felt that to say anything might be dangerous. He was sure he had just broken into Snape’s memories, that he had just seen scenes from Snape’s childhood. It was unnerving to think that the little boy who had been crying as he watched his parents shouting was actually standing in front of him with such loathing in his eyes
so you see it works both ways.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

i think you misunderstood this section. In order to read minds Snape was using a spell. Harry was supposed to use occlumency to ward of the mind reading caused by this spell... However since harry used a Shield Spell (litterally from the part you posted). The spell reflected back to Snape (this has been done a lot of times before.... Also in book 6). Because of this Snape's mind was read. So he did not break in using occlumency but using the rebound of snape's spell.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

This is a pointless discuassion. I can almost guarantee that those skilled in occlumency are skilled in ligilimency as well. I can imagine Harry learning ligilimency in the next book.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Who could teach him though? And since he's not going back to Hogwarts (or it's closed down) there aren't many people who are "known" to be good at Occlumecy/Leg.. Legil... mind reading.
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

Artezul wrote:Who could teach him though? And since he's not going back to Hogwarts (or it's closed down) there aren't many people who are "known" to be good at Occlumecy/Leg.. Legil... mind reading.
Hogwarts will be open, and Harry will go back. Why? Because otherwise it's too hard to bring in the characters we expect to see in these books. Ultimately, the politics of Hogwarts is important to this series. Without Hogwarts, we'll miss a lot of the flavor and depth that makes these books appealing.

Now I don't think that Harry will spend all that much time at Hogwarts in the next book - I think JKR has successfully set up Harry as now knowing a great deal more about Hogwarts than those that will be running it. Between that, the invisibility cloak, and Harry's vast store of data on the dark arts and defense against them, he'll be free to move about as he sees fit.

I think we'll see more of Hogwarts, but it will be an interesting place without Albus Dumbledore there to protect it.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

well the last part of The Half Blood Prince did say that harry didn't plan on comming back to Hogwarts. And the only reason people actually did entrust their children to Hogwarts was because Dumbeldore was there. And he was the only person that Voldemort ever feared... Still whatever turn or twist the story may take i don't really mind... I just wanna now it a little faster cause waiting till the book is finished will take 2 years again
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Dont remind me man. Just thinking about the 2 year wait makes me very angry and sad.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

well thn i'm glad i am not the only one.... i already started with the movies again.... probably will be reading all the old books aswell.... sigh.... waiting sucks
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Killfile wrote:I think we'll see more of Hogwarts, but it will be an interesting place without Albus Dumbledore there to protect it.
Yes... I can actually see Hogwarts more or less turning into a complete warzone in the next book, and Harry is forced to return whether he wants to or not- maybe just for a short while, but I doubt we won't be seeing Hogwarts again.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Sykes
imanewbie

Post by Sykes »

Waiting does suck. I read the book so quick cause I was so interested, then at the end I was like... Well, I hope it doesn't take 2 more years.

"The darkness in my soul is the only thing yet to be consumed by the fire."
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Haha, it would be suspenseful if Harry was off on his own when an owl reaches him that Hogwarts is under attack. Hopefully by then he'll have enough power to actually make a decent entrance when he attempts to go help them.

JKRowling said it might take about 2 years. She said she has everything in mind, but won't start working on it until after Christmas.

I wonder how Harry will react when/if he bumps into Draco. :?
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

He should beat his ass.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

i think draco will be reduced to a puddle of frag meat... I mean harry has hated Draco for ages and all and now that it is clear that Draco is on te side of voldemort... well i don't think that will speak to well in his defense :P
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Killfile »

TheDarkness wrote:i think draco will be reduced to a puddle of frag meat... I mean harry has hated Draco for ages and all and now that it is clear that Draco is on te side of voldemort... well i don't think that will speak to well in his defense :P
My wife's prediction on this one is that Draco will be redeemed -- as evidenced by his inability to kill Dumbledore at the end of THBP. I'll be curious to see what happens there.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

as are we all :P .... and i like to dream.... i hate malfoy's char so i really hope there shall be no redemption.... but who knows perhaps Voldemort will even dispose of Malfoy for beeing unable to do what he was ordered.... I mean voldemort doesn't really value the life of his followers so that might very well be possible