Berserk Chapter: 281

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Turd Ferguson wrote: However, I retract my earlier statement about the lancers dropping in from above on flying demon horses.
I was just liking the idea of flying demon horses actually. lol
"Context is for Kings"
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Thanks EG! This is an awesome thing to find.
I was just liking the idea of flying demon horses actually. lol
Nah, it might freak out his regular troops too much.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

If you check out page 11...the main panel on the page... 3rd from the top and the biggest one on the page you can see the lancers on the sides of the troops before they begin to line up in front.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Good catch, Lord Rae, I'd missed that. It seemed clear they must have come in from the sides, but I didn't notice them there. Well spotted.
Gemino
imanewbie

Post by Gemino »

Thanks fellas and pefect timing. We haven't had a clear demonstration of Griffith's God Hand Powers yet (except for the arrow evade shortly after the eclipse). I'm sure it will come thru in the near future.
donny
imanewbie

Post by donny »

yes nice to have more berserk...
and nice to see new mosnters, especially seing zodd is always good with an axe that really looks that could handle the outputs of power that zodd releases...

but on the other hand I am hoping that they will speed up the pace of the events... I mean we had an enourmous pause and now two chapters in which half of the pages was just troups marching. over two pages. not much of a development. actually none development. we all knew that griffith is there and that he'll jump in.
I think we need more battle of giants thing - like somebody said see griffith against the kushan emperror and such.

hope you won't hang me for the critics...
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

donny wrote:

no, on the contrary I think that you hit the nail here. It's about time for Miura to show us some genuine plot development. We have had little genuine overall progress ever since SkullKnight informed Guts about Elfhiem (or however you spell it). Yes Guts-Serpico battle, firewheels, Guts-Zod combo were all impressive, but story-wise we are pretty much exactly where we were several volumes ago.
What is good?-Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man.
What is evil?-Whatever springs from weakness.
What is happiness?-The feeling that power increases-that resistance is overcome.

Nietzsche
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I hear what you are saying and I agree that there needs to be some more plot development but be thankful you are getting any berserk at all I know I am. I will take anything berserk right now even if its just battle sequence with no word for four or more chapters I would still read (well analyze it) and enjoy it.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Gemino
imanewbie

Post by Gemino »

I hear you.. I'm a Berserk Crackhead even if it isn't Pure Main.. I'm still gonna smoke..
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

42ndEndOfTheWorld wrote:
donny wrote:

no, on the contrary I think that you hit the nail here. It's about time for Miura to show us some genuine plot development. We have had little genuine overall progress ever since SkullKnight informed Guts about Elfhiem (or however you spell it). Yes Guts-Serpico battle, firewheels, Guts-Zod combo were all impressive, but story-wise we are pretty much exactly where we were several volumes ago.
umm i think you missed all the chapters that came out since then.

If you paid attention, Guts lost farnese and had to fight (serpico) to get her back (thats a big sign to me since its like Griffith), Guts and Shierke were able to control the berserker armor when they united, Guts WORKED with zodd to hurt the emperor, Guts told the emperor no, Guts and Co. found a boat (or are at least almost there i forget which), Guts made an appearance in front of all of the court. the pope was made an apostle or something, shit the list goes on and on. you mentioned some of these, and i guess i agree in story progession it's been slow, but in plot development it's been quite eventful
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I don't remember the Pope becoming an apostle :? Where was that?
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

We didn't see him become an Apostle, and I'm kind of doubtful that he did. What did happen is that after a (Femto inspired) dream, the Pope went off with Mule and the psychic girl (I forget her name) to join Griffith. Obviously, he's going to bless Griffith's cause, giving him the mantel of devine favor.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Yeah the major plot really hasn't moved much. But Mr.F says there were many tasty little developments and situations along the way.

I can't wait till it comes time for Gats to reveal his past to his companions.
"Context is for Kings"
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

LOL,thank you for such great work on berserk.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Story-wise there IS a great development, because we finally see Griffith come closer to what he wanted all the time. This is an important part of the Berserk story, it could not be omitted.

However, I also want him to go back to Guts, or at least, show some dialogue from Griffith and people around him.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Well, for almost two volumes now (maybe more) it's been non-stop action, so the characters haven't really had a chance to properly interact. I also heard that in this YA, Miura said that all he did during those 4 months was draw soldiers, so this particular battle could be a long one. :)
Gemino
imanewbie

Post by Gemino »

Aren't we about due for another Patented Berserk Rape scene. HAHA. How about that for some Plot development. :lol:

I can't see this battle lasting too long with the way the NEO-Hawks are demolishing the human troops. The Daka should be called Dodos. I think the emperor knows that he needs a strong ally to stand a chance. Which is why he asked GUTS to join him at their previous engagement.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I don't think the battle lenght is the most important thing. I really can't wait to see how people will react to Griffith :)
The end of the battle will be priceless.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Khelegond wrote:I don't think the battle lenght is the most important thing. I really can't wait to see how people will react to Griffith :)
The end of the battle will be priceless.
Thats the weird thing. After the battle ends do you think that the story will stay with Griff? or would it go off to Gats? Another thing I keep forgetting to bring up Griff has to know exactly where Gats is going right now. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he knows why he is going either.

Perhaps he gets his own Country and then goes to meet up with Gats. Then gets (the repaired) Caska to come along fresh off his triumph and realization of his dream. :roll:
"Context is for Kings"
Gemino
imanewbie

Post by Gemino »

Besides Griffith flexing his Femto Muscles I would like to see more of Rakshas power. I find this dude mysterious and intriguing like the ninjas from G.I. Joe back in the day. His cutting off Griffiths heads dream might lead to his downfall.

After the battle the story will most likely go back to GUTS' journey. Griffith and the apostles will have some down time after the victory, so they will prob go out and devour some children and play spades somethin along those lines.

And I concur that GR will prob get bored and stop through to visit Caska and GUTTS since the vessel that he occupies long for his parents.
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

To me was just great to see the Neo Hawks fighting, never thought Griffith would use the apostles too, but he did, seeing Grunbeld and Zodd fighting is just awesome.There is a big story development going there, first Griffith is trying for the first time to defeat the Kushans ( just like the hero he wants to be ) , second after seeing that Griffith went with all the mighty Neo Hawks army to that battle makes me think that he is gonna show some of his real power ( at least when he is gonna fight the Emperor ) or at least is what I hope to see in the upcoming chapters.

EG rocks! :D
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Despite the complaints about it being nothing but action, these last two chapters of "action" are crucial to the plot, it wouldn't work without it. Griffith and the Emperor needed to have a huge showdown here in order for Griffith's dream to advance. Especially in this manga, a lot of times plot development is action sequences, the two don't really have to be seperated.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

But does Griffith's dream end with getting himself a kingdom now? That dream was made by a man. Now that his powers is godlike what happens now?

I'm still worried about the other godhand members not being around. :?:
"Context is for Kings"
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think we'll still a bit off with Griffith being king and all. He doesn't suddenly become elected King after the battle is over. He's going to use the princess like a puppet until he gets what he wants, but that won't happen immediately, it's a gradual process, and right now, anything can happen.

I'm interested in the aftermath of the battle as well. I wonder what politics Griffith will spin, especially when it seems all the cards are in his favour.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Azrael
notanewb

Post by Azrael »

Woo, I'm so glad to have Berserk back.
EG, keep em coming. You guys are awesome.

This battle's outcome and repercussions are gonna be interesting, because it's pretty much certain that Windham is gonna support Griffith after saving their asses...
"For you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly."
- From Alan Moore's The Watchmen