Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

Oh I didn't know that , I stopped reading that thread after the Darkness thing started . lol
Ultra Berserk fan , Gatts wanna be . Image and EvilDmitri rocks ftw.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yeah, well, the Darkness theme ended a while back.
Before the first star flared into life, it was there. When the last light flickers and dies, it will be there. It is beyond all things, consumes all things, for it is the Primordial Darkness, and all things are its prey.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

I've been reading this forum a lot longer than I've been posting, so even newbs should know NOT to ask Eldo for release dates. He'll give an update when possible. Of course, if you want to piss him off...but I'd advise against it :) .
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Yes I know that and I asked that to Eldo because all of us wants to know if Berserk were coming on December's Young Animal issue ( its not an EG realise date question ) so I knew that Eldo wouldn't take it bad .
So, am gonna freeze myself until a new Berserk chapter is realised . :lol:
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

no point in asking even if you wanted to know. you could figure it out yourself, and either way asking wont make it come out sooner ;)
Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

MrFelony wrote:no point in asking even if you wanted to know. you could figure it out yourself, and either way asking wont make it come out sooner ;)
Haha true that's why I am freezing myself ( like Cartman ) , I still have some hope . :lol:
Gundam_Bobcat
Mastered PM

Post by Gundam_Bobcat »

Well if you do freeze yourself, just hope that the future knows what Berserk is.
Romanos
imanewbie

Post by Romanos »

hi everyone
just wondering if anyone knows how often and wich day at the week young animal is beeing released??
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

try going to their website and checking yourself or googling it
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The day the music died.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Gundam_Bobcat
Mastered PM

Post by Gundam_Bobcat »

Eldo wrote:The day the music died.
Music died?

Damn I missed that memo.

Well I better go eat some American Pie to make up for the music.
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

well heres my 2 part question what was gutt's mother convicted of & did she have a relation with an elf?
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

Gutts' mother was part of a band of gypsies, if I recall correctly from either the anime or manga. In medieval times, gypsies were considered both heretics and criminals - I'm sure there was very little trial or real conviction. I don't remember any mention of Gutts being part elf. I'm sure Gutts is 100% human, and I don't think we'll ever know that much about his biological family anyway.
Kshatriya: A protector of lands; one who upholds the codes of honour, bravery and loyalty.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

well heres my 2 part question what was gutt's mother convicted of & did she have a relation with an elf?
We don't have much info about his mother, what Kshatriya gave is about it. As for the question about the elf... if you're talking about a physical relationship (as opposed to say, an elf friend, in which case the answer is "We don't know, but there's no reason to think she did") it should be extremely obvious that that would be physically impossible.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Who knows really its unlikely but his mother could have had a fling with Legolas type elf and produce Gutts :P
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

Who knows really its unlikely but his mother could have had a fling with Legolas type elf and produce Gutts Razz
It's an interesting thought that Gutts might be part elf (or part anything other than human). But I don't think that would flow well with one of the essential themes of Berserk; that Gutts is 100% human, and is still facing down incredible odds - Apostles, demons, huge armies, you name it. That was an important theme from the beginning of both the manga and the anime.
Kshatriya: A protector of lands; one who upholds the codes of honour, bravery and loyalty.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

I don't think an elf has ever appeared in the manga - in art or text. What I think dronedevil was refering to is Guts' pointy ears. :)

It wouldn't surprise me if he was part demon though. It would be ironic if Zodd turned out to be his biological father who had a relationship with Guts' mother. Then the locals found out about a demon and murdered everyone in town...Shoulda put this one in the Stupid Theories thread. :D
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Then Guts must have had quite a masculine mom to supress all the elf gheyness
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Kshatriya wrote:
Who knows really its unlikely but his mother could have had a fling with Legolas type elf and produce Gutts Razz
It's an interesting thought that Gutts might be part elf (or part anything other than human). But I don't think that would flow well with one of the essential themes of Berserk; that Gutts is 100% human, and is still facing down incredible odds - Apostles, demons, huge armies, you name it. That was an important theme from the beginning of both the manga and the anime.
Actually doesnt have to be a 100 % human to be an human ;)

Not saying he is something elfs but even if he was half something else he would be a human who is still is a bug to an apostle.
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

I mustve read vol 14 page 7 wrong thought it ment something else. My mistake :?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Not saying he is something elfs but even if he was half something else he would be a human who is still is a bug to an apostle.
No, it wouldn't be the same. If he's anything other then 100% human, then all of his accomplishments become much less impressive, because you can say it is his non-human blood that makes him so powerful. One of the major themes of this story is that Guts, whose only human, is accomplishing so much. For Guts to be anything other then fully human would just destroy too much of the intensity of the story.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Not really cause right now his fighting abilities arent human anymore.

Yeah before the Berserk armour he was a simple human to apostles but now its like he uses magical weapons ala RPGs. I mean he even uses the witch fire power to attack with his sword.

Another reason why i dont like the merry band and the current RPGs of Berserk.

Earlier it was much less magic and much more simple a human trying to kill huge monsters.

Rereading like i am doing now sadly reminds me how much the manga has become something i cant stand, an rpg.....
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, RPG's kick ass. What's wrong with magic anyway? I like where Berserk has gone so far. Gatts isn't an elf, he's just human. It's just the way Miura draws his ears, it's the art-style, clearly. Anyway, the Berserker Armor doesn't give him any power he doesn't already possess. It just allows him to fully use his potential, and ignore pain. Berserk is awesome like that. However, all that flying around he does, that's all within his capacity. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Nothing against magic, i love that stuff.

But Berserk was at its best and should have been as it was before it got magical just a couple of vols ago.

Its just i loved Guts gritty bloddy way of fighting.

I can stand some magic like the witch but not the armour that makes him to be able stand pain like it was nothing and makes him him stronger in a way cause he wont feel pain that will make him remember his limits.

He isnt human anymore atleast when he is fighting with the armour just like what istvan replied to my post, it isnt about a mere human taking on apostles now.

The armour is to me something that is too shonen a deus ex machina that takes away the struggle that Berserk was about for so long.

Reading the old vols like Golden Age painfully reminded how Berserk should still be.

Nothing against change but this i really hope isnt permantly.

Cause i would feel nothing if Guts killed Griffith like he is now with some kind of new deus ex machina that makes Guts semi god, that isnt Berserk to me.

I still love Berserk cause i know what its capable of.

P.S i cant stand Rpgs and specially a merry band like this group except Puck he has always been cool ;)

Going back to rereading even if its a little painful seeing how awesome Berserk was. The first 20 something vols are still the best manga i have ever read.

Back in vol three when Guts killed the Count and his kid promised to take revenge and Guts says come and get and then you see he is crying. That was so emotional seeing as how Guts was even when he was a coldhearted bastard.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, well that's a shame, but oh well.