Your Top-Seven Favorite Movies

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

The evil dead series is tite. Isnt Bubba Hofet suposed to be some sort of continuration or is it just because Bruce Campell is in it?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

mrJotaan wrote:I definitely like any movie by Akira Kurosawa and Takeshi Kitano. I've got a collection of Takeshi Kitano going and I'm gonna start building up my Kurosawa collection. Right now I'm watching Ran and sometime soon I'll watch Kikujiro which is a Kitano film. Stephen Chow is awesome, gotta love Shaolin Soccer and I'm trying to get more of his movies which won't be too hard since I live in Toronto. Lately all I've been watching are asian films like Aniki(Brother, Kitano Film), Ong-Bak with Tony Jaa, Breaking news which is a chinese movie and some others.
I have been watching a ton of asian movies for the past year or two.

I love Takeshi Kitano films. There really isn't much dialogue, especially from the characters he plays, but you can almost always tell what he is thinking or feeling. The violence in his movies is brutal, it really contrasts the long silences and slow pace of the movies. But there is always some comedy in his movies, a strange dark comedy. Like the scene in Sonatine(which came with the Zatoichi dvd) where the Yakuza members are on the beach at night, shooting roman candles at eachother and having a blast, then Kitano's character pulls out his gun and start firing at the guys and he just laughs about it. I have only seen five or six of his movies, and Hana-bi is my favorite so far. Its funny to see Kitano in MXC, if you have cable with Spike tv, check it out, its hilarious.

Kikujiru is different from most of his movies, its less of a Yakuza movie and more of a comedy. I still enjoyed it though.

Damn, I could go on forever about asian films. But I will just post a list of movies I have seen and which ones I recommend. If you have any questions, just ask.

*list moved to foreign movie thread
Last edited by Gaiseric on Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Libaax wrote:Its seems like Asian movies speciely Japanese and Chinese have taking over....
not really, atleast to me

house of flying daggers was a sleeper, crouching tiger was decent but extremely overrated, and although very impressive fight scenes, hero was just horrible
mrJotaan
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by mrJotaan »

I've attempted to watch some of Takashi Miike's movies and I just don't have the stomach for it. I know that despite the fact that his movies are really violent, there are hidden meanings in his films but I just can't seem to sit through them. I can sit through any violence really but when it comes to the violent rape and child abuse it's just too disturbing for me to keep watching.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Gaiseric: Kitano is in MXC???!! Is he one of the judges or something? I'm not familiar with him, but I'd like to see who he is on one of my favorite shows.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

Kitano is the guy they call Vic Romano. It's actually his show, the real show in Japan is called "Takeshi's Castle".
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

non-rated to mrJotaan

you know, its pretty funny how americans misinterpret what a good asian movie is
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

You mean how they go out and see Hero and think it's the greatest thing to ever come out of China? Or how they all see Battle Royale because it's become a cult classic and tell everyone about it? Or are you referring to the movies I watch?
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

nahz i was thinking about my previous post. i mean don't get me wrong, i loved hero's fight scenes, they were jus spectacular and beautiful. however, the movie itself was pretty crappy. it was quite short only being 90 minutes, and there was like zero story since it was basically 3 revisions of one event. and americans find that crap "good", its quite funny when there are tons of asian movies which don't get the recognition they deserve which are easily 10x better
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

mrJotaan wrote:Kitano is the guy they call Vic Romano. It's actually his show, the real show in Japan is called "Takeshi's Castle".
Yep, its his show in Japan. He was actually a comedian and they called him "Beat" Kitano.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

dos.azn wrote:
Libaax wrote:Its seems like Asian movies speciely Japanese and Chinese have taking over....
not really, atleast to me

house of flying daggers was a sleeper, crouching tiger was decent but extremely overrated, and although very impressive fight scenes, hero was just horrible
Daggers was crap but Hero was good fightwise, i loved the scene when Jet Li and the guy with the spear fight in the rain while an old man plays some chinese music. The story itself was nothing speciel.

When i say asian movies taking over, what i mean people i know in this site and my friends enjoy them more and are talking about them all the time . Also im not talking about movies like Hero, just look at the Ring,The Grudge, and all other movies that hollywood copy.

What i like about the asian movies i have seen is that they dont turn out the same as every hollywood movie and they have some new ideas to us who are use to hollywood. For example a movie like Old Boy sounds so intresting when i read about the story.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

Well, they call him 'Beat' Takeshi :P. I actually know a lot of people who didn't like Hero because they didn't understand the symbolism and philosophy of the movie. The 3 revisions are each done in different colors and the meanings for the colors are, red: deception, blue: perceived reality, white: truth and green: enlightenment. It does help knowing this before watching otherwise some people will be confused.
AckeDman
imanewbie

Post by AckeDman »

Buzkashi... take a look at the documentary "how arnold won the west"

most people voted without even knowing what he was running on.... education? poverty? jobs? taxes?

what was it.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Libaax wrote: What i like about the asian movies i have seen is that they dont turn out the same as every hollywood movie and they have some new ideas to us who are use to hollywood. For example a movie like Old Boy sounds so intresting when i read about the story.
its not just that. asian movies have no creativity, which americans have shown that creativity is definitely not a good thing. their simple plots are what makes them shine
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

AckeDman wrote:Buzkashi... take a look at the documentary "how arnold won the west"

most people voted without even knowing what he was running on.... education? poverty? jobs? taxes?

what was it.
Will do.

On another note. I saw Ringu and The Ring. Even though I dont like either particularly I'd say that the American version is much better.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

dos.azn wrote:
Libaax wrote: What i like about the asian movies i have seen is that they dont turn out the same as every hollywood movie and they have some new ideas to us who are use to hollywood. For example a movie like Old Boy sounds so intresting when i read about the story.
its not just that. asian movies have no creativity, which americans have shown that creativity is definitely not a good thing. their simple plots are what makes them shine
Well who cares about creativity when you are watching movies with stories that you arent use to like for example Battle Royale who isnt one my favs movies, its still alot better than movies in the same genre in hollywood. Mostly i think we like asian movies cause they are something new to us who havent wacthed alot of them before.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Well it seems like alot of asian film is done costing alot less, and the outcome is alot better with it being cheaper for some reason.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Maybe the films costing less means more freedom for the directors than they would have if the films was more expensive...
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Libaax wrote:What i like about the asian movies i have seen is that they dont turn out the same as every hollywood movie and they have some new ideas to us who are use to hollywood. For example a movie like Old Boy sounds so intresting when i read about the story.
Watch OldBoy, it is one of my favorite asian movies. If you like it, also check out Joint Security Area and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, other movies directed by Chan-wook Park.

I like Asian movies because of the way that they portay characters and emotions. The characters in Asian movies aren't one sided like most in Hollywood movies. I don't care if the movies aren't creative, thats not why I watch them. But it is nice when they are.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have watched Joint Security Area and i liked it so i will defnitly watch more of the director.

Old Boy comes to the cinema in a couple of weeks so im looking forward to it.
Shade
This is my new home

Post by Shade »

My Top Ten
  • Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas
  • Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
  • Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
  • Secret Window
  • American Psycho
  • Dogma
  • Mallrats
In no particular order... infact I doubt thats my real list. Thats just all the decent movies I can think of at this time
~http://www.thecenternetwork.com/forum/~
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I recently watched Thirteen and I'd have to say that's a really good movie. It's about two thirteen year old girls experimenting with drugs and how messed up their lives become.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, sounds like "Kids".
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

ahh, how could i forget, Collateral has to be in my list somewhere :D
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I love Fear and Loathing. Benicio Del Toro is actually directing the Rum Diaries and I am assuming playing hte same role, as well as Johnny Depp coming back and playing Hunter S Thompson. Should be good. Not sure when it is scheduled to come out though.,

Kids was good. Liked it better than thirteen. Though the scene in 13 with the whippits was funny.