Japan can suck my wang (derailed into comic book discussion)

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

i guess if u havent lived in an asian country or know some 21st century of asian u wouldnt understand the hate between japan and korea and china. the thing that pissed off korea and china is that the japs wont fucking admit that they were acting like hitler in the way that they were exterminating koreans and chinese. wouldnt the western world be pissed if ppl said hitler was a great man and helped society? hell ya. same thing for the japs. they wont admit their mistakes. every year they change history a bit to make them look like victims of war.

and yes being a female in japan sux. many family friends that r scientists that go to japan come back saying how much it sux there because ppl wouldnt listen to them or look them in the eye. their culture is very patriarchal(sp?)
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:Maybe that manga is the japanese equivalent to our say... Southpark?
I don't see the relation.

South Park is edgy, but it never goes as low as racism.

It's actually a very smart show.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

If one knows enough of Japanese culture,this shouldnt be a suprise at all.Ispecially regarding their appalling behaviour towards Korea and China as panasonic mentionned(They think they are so superior to China,when its China that has such a rich history and culture.True Pioneers throughout history).Imagine Neo nazis' saying the holocaust never happend(Except they killed ALOT more then the Nazis').Thats exactly what the Japanese goverment are doing,teaching their youth.No matter how great of a education,its means nada when they brainswash their citizens like that.

Their Patriarchal society leaves alot room for criticism too.Like their working conditions.Employee's basically having no rights at all(no union.Your employer can force you to work overtime without pay),and being slaves to your boss,regardless of high position you have,and well off job you have.They are so busy trying to be as respectful as possible,that they end up disrespecting everything and everyone in some way.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

South Park doesn't do blatant racism, and it's all in gest, but they make fun of everyone and everything. I'm reminded of the episode where they seem to be making fun of anime. There's also an episode where these pokemon type things are brainwashing kids, and these Japanese guys keep referring to how American penises are so much larger than their own. Isn't South Park great? :P
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

It sure is.
8)

Never thought something as simple as "Screw you guys,I'm going home." will make me laugh record breaking amount of times.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

Now this is stupid.

http://imdb.com/news/sb/2005-11-28/#2

That short article does support Femto's Japanese-Chinese racism theory. That's just horrible. Some Japanese and Chinese people are both pissed off at the film Memoirs of a Geisha cuz there are Chinese people playing Japanese roles ... it's just a movie! Zhang is a good and very well known asian-american actress, so naturally she was chosen for the part instead of some japanese-american nobody. I really can't beleive someone was racist enough to make a comment like that, at the bottom of the article.

I'm more pissed off that they had Chinese actors playing the characters from Initial D. Why aren't they all pissed off about that?:lol:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

BasouKazuma wrote:I'm more pissed off that they had Chinese actors playing the characters from Initial D. Why aren't they all pissed off about that?:lol:
Because it's a HK movie. You know, with HK stars and other people in it. There's some Japanese actors, that's just trying to appeal to the Japanese market and not HK alone. And Jay Chou is a fag. When you have to pay a hefty sum for the license, who gives two shits? Everything can be brought for money, even morals and ideals.

I don't find it surprising there's racism in mangas, I mean, I've read quite a lot of them back in my day, and there's racism towards Chinese, Koreans, and most particularly in the recent times to Americans, and it has indeed pissed me off. Especially in some mangas where they glorify their role in the war.

This is coming from a country that has left out a chunk of their history in their textbooks, because it 'shames' them. There's no history about their involvement in the World War, and most recently, omitting a vital part of history which involves a massacre in China (which is the reason why the Chinese were so pissed off).

I personally don't mind any type of parodies in the mangas or any other format (bowling king, southpark) as long as there are no major hints of racism in it. The more recent mangas have little or very subtle racism, but the older generation tends to believe their reason for the war is justifiable and stuff like that, and since they lost, they can only take their anger out on their mangas.

Don't forget the 'buy war stamps and bonds' and recruitment for the war on the covers of American comics too.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

This is the longest post I've seen you type in quite a while Eldo, and I approve of it.

Still, you can't compare the war propaganda in comics from 50 years ago to what is seemingly going on in Japan today.

Not because they're any different or more justifiable, but because they were very different circumstances.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

BasouKazuma wrote:
That short article does support Femto's Japanese-Chinese racism theory. T
The fact that Japanese are openly racist,and has been sense WW2(to my knowledge.Can be longer then that) isn't a theory,but Femto's article about the manga being openly racist to koreans is(as we dont know the contents of the manga,and the tone), but I knowing what one knows of their society, I'm not suprised at all.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:This is the longest post I've seen you type in quite a while Eldo, and I approve of it.

Still, you can't compare the war propaganda in comics from 50 years ago to what is seemingly going on in Japan today.

Not because they're any different or more justifiable, but because they were very different circumstances.
There were only some war propangada in comics, but there were still some racism in it after the war too. I'm just trying to say that American comics weren't too innocent either. The victor of course, doesn't really have to say dick to anyone, and Japan being the sore loser can only take their frustrations on another medium, like mangas.

I remember reading a Phantom comic where the Phantom was fighting alongside an American army bashing the shit out of 'nips' and calling them 'small eyed nips' and stuff like that. Although they are under different circumstances, you can't deny the racism that are present in two different formats of comics.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The difference is that american comics were racist because of the war situation and they haven't been like that ever since the war finished. I mean, if an american comic even tries to put any sort of remark against another race, you can bet your ass every organization in the country will be tearing it to bits. A great reason why the situation is Japan is so disturbing is because the title is a best seller and, from what I've gathered, no one has a problem with such a title being on the market over there.

As I said, I'm not justifying the content in american comics back then, it's every bit as wrong as what Japan is doing right now, but it's been a while ago and it's different than printing racist material in 2005 and it being embraced that well.

You do make a good point about Japan being the loser in the war and resulting to frustration and whatnot, but what about the Germans? I'm sure Hitler's doing's are a great cause of shame and frustration for them but they don't print racist material towards the English or the French there.

I don't know. This manga, coupled with some of the other stuff I've mentioned, makes Japan seem like a backwards country in a lot of ways.

As for racist, american comics from WWII, look no further than superdickey.com
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Femto wrote:.

I don't know. This manga, coupled with some of the other stuff I've mentioned, makes Japan seem like a backwards country in a lot of ways.

A bit harsh wording, but certainly agree. Sense they as people and society doesn't change with the times, and learn adjust to certain things.Like its not so cool to be a xenophobic society for one.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Their mistreatment of women is terrible IMO.

Old men in the train looking up high schoolers' skirts?

That's just fucking ridiculous.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

I suppose in a way you have to look at how the japanese society has been built up in a whole.

This example with having a special view at women, is something we wouldn't call equality. However I guess like in a muslim country or in this case Japan I don't think they would call it necessarily a bad thing.

Another example of how we view things differently.

America has built up their country on a vision called 'the american dream' which many would call bollocks.

And the Japs has their own system.

My point overall is that we shouldn't be so hasty to judge without knowing how others from japan view their things.

Anyway to the topic. I agree to the fullest. It's plain sick how something like that can turn out to be a best seller.

They are full of their pride and really denies their past "mistakes" or whatever they call it.

Nice thread <(^-^)> <-- mr jap.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I haven't read the article you posted (since I had to login in to NY times and stuff) or know when that manga was printed. I'm not quite sure how recent the manga was.

I guess that American comics didn't have any racism content because they won the war. There's no real need to rub it in their faces in the comics. There are still some subtle hints of racism though, I can't say that it's been completely abolished of them.

Manga is a popular thing and part of culture in Japan, so it's easy to spread the word of hate even after the war. I'm not quite sure what popular medium or material Germany had that could last, besides newspapers and all. Most Germans just let it all go and dropped it. Nowadays, they learnt from history their past mistakes, not to mention that they had to pay a shitload of cash for compensation and other stuff. Japan had no history to learn from, only resentment passed down from one generation to another. I bet most people don't even know why they dislike a particular culture or race.

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

isse: This 'american dream' is not perfect from what I gather, but my boss proved me that it does exist, just like Bill Gates proves it or any other rich man that started from zero.

And even if the Japanese can relate to the muslims in how they threat women, it still seems all very wrong to me.

Eldo: X-Men dude. A whole comic dedicated to how wrong it is to judge people based on their appearance, which is consistently at the top of the charts. Sure, you can interpret a line or something just about anywhere as being racist, but I really, really doubt that it was in the original creator's intention. We can talk about the reasons why some Japanese act the way they do, but the bottom line is, it's just not right.

I'll avoid talking about Germany at the moment, since last time I was there I was like 12.

That manga has been a best seller for 4 months now according to the Times. Registration is free, so you should check it out if you have the time.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

Your right of course Femto. I too think it's wrong to treat them the way they do it.

Still I think we shouldn't try to change them if themselves can live with it and don't complain.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Eldo: X-Men dude. A whole comic dedicated to how wrong it is to judge people based on their appearance, which is consistently at the top of the charts. Sure, you can interpret a line or something just about anywhere as being racist, but I really, really doubt that it was in the original creator's intention. We can talk about the reasons why some Japanese act the way they do, but the bottom line is, it's just not right.
I know X-Men is a great comic with plenty of controversal issues that reflect with real life (although the plot lines are so shit lately). I was referring to the other comics I've read from the 70's to 80's from DC that had some subtle hints of it. But nothing explicit though. Can't really remember where it's from, I think it was Superman. America can't afford to have any explicit racism terms or anything because it's a multicultural nation with many different races and backgrounds, and it's supposed to appeal to all different types of audiences. Whereas mangas are limited to only the Japanese audience, so little people really care or mind it enough to complain about it.

I can't say that because of this best selling manga, the bulk of the people in Japan are racists. There may be some other appealing factor in the manga like humour or something that most people could look beyond the racism and enjoy it nevertheless, since the targets aren't themselves, they don't care about the racist references or whatnot. I can tell you that the Japanese probably dislike some other cultures due to political reasons only, and the Japanese politicians are a bunch of fucks. They govern the country, they can spread the fire through political dicisions. Case in point is the removal of histoy conerning the massacre in China by Japanese soldiers from textbooks. They decided that, which got China riled up, big riots ensued which involved the public getting pissed off at everything Japanese, and Japan maintained their stance on the issue and demanded an apology from China. The nerve of them. There's also a ceremony that the PM attended that honours the dead of the soldiers who fought in the war, you know, the Nazi equivalent of the war, after he promised not to attend it. Well, he broke it, alot of countries got pissed off.

It's mainly about politics and pride where racism resides from, in my opinion. But that doesn't make any affect on me though, I love manga altogether, I just avoid the racist ones.

panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

adding to the post above, he went to a war memorial of a man which basically should have been tried like the nazis for crimes against humanity instead of a meeting a very high profile chinese politician for peace talks because the politician was a woman.
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:
Eldo: X-Men dude. A whole comic dedicated to how wrong it is to judge people based on their appearance, which is consistently at the top of the charts. Sure, you can interpret a line or something just about anywhere as being racist, but I really, really doubt that it was in the original creator's intention. We can talk about the reasons why some Japanese act the way they do, but the bottom line is, it's just not right.

Actually, if you think about it, many marvel comic heros in some way has the heros covering up their idenities because of the public's lack of tolerance towards people who are different. X-Men, all of their spin-offs (X-Factor, New Mutants, Generation Next, etc.), the Hulk, Ghost Rider, Spider-man, The Fantastic Four (In their earlier days). IN fact, if you are in the Marvel universe and NOT an Avenger, God help you.
ImageImage
evilester_me
This is my new home

Post by evilester_me »

Tempest wrote:
Actually, if you think about it, many marvel comic heros in some way has the heros covering up their idenities because of the public's lack of tolerance towards people who are different. X-Men, all of their spin-offs (X-Factor, New Mutants, Generation Next, etc.), the Hulk, Ghost Rider, Spider-man, The Fantastic Four (In their earlier days). IN fact, if you are in the Marvel universe and NOT an Avenger, God help you.
Not just in Marvel, what about DC? The only reason the authors do that is to liven up the story a little, b/c then the heros have to save ppl while keeping their identities secret plus love life, etc.

But back to the whole Japanese sucking Basous wang thing... Its the Japanese culture mostly. They are very by the book, "inside the box" type people (one reason why they treat women differently, my mother works largely with people in Hong Kong and Japan so she writes to them as a 'Mr.' because they didnt respond to her emails otherwise). I mean no offense when I say this, but they are not only stubborn and very proud, but they aren't quite the most accepting people either. China and Japan and Korea all have major culture clashes because many Asian cultures are also proud races. Also, Japan tries to cover up its mistakes (like in WWII) because of honor and their pride. Chinese do similar things though, like with the whole Bird Flu--they lied about the number of deaths for a while relating to that because it makes them look bad. Overall im not saying that its right but it has reasons.
:wink:
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

evilester_me wrote:But back to the whole Japanese sucking Basou's wang thing...
Oh, ha ha ...

Edit:
There was this japanese movie I watched, about high school girls who would prostitute themselves. I forgot what it was called and it did kinda suck (no pun intended) but it did give some incite into the underbelly of japanese culture.

Young and old men would pay them lots of money just to be escorts, talk to them, or suck them off (they never do any actual sex). Also, the girls would sell their panties and whatnot for money at these funky shops. Most of the movie is about the girls just screwing (once again, no pun intended) over the guys that order their services by taking the money and running.

Yes, this movie was kinda sick though it doesnt really show anything gratuotis, it just eludes to a lot of nasty stuff. I don't remember the name cuz my bro just popped it in without telling me and we started watching it.

So yea, women are kinda treated badly but some women use that to their advantage. Any way you look at it, the situation is screwed up.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

evilester_me wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Not just in Marvel, what about DC? The only reason the authors do that is to liven up the story a little, b/c then the heros have to save ppl while keeping their identities secret plus love life, etc.
I always felt that DC heros were, for the most part, adored and loved. When was the last time in a Marvel comic you saw a guy on the street say, "Oh I hope the X-Men will come and save the day!" More likely it was "Hey, those mutants saved the day... KILL THEM ANYWAY!" Superman, Wonder Woman, etc., even Batman to a certain extent, in their worlds the general public welcomes them and actually likes them and in fact calls on them to help them. I think that's why I typically like Marvel comics more than DC, it seems more like what would happen in the real world.
ImageImage
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

DC kills marvel when its about thier heroes Batman and Superman are the best ever! But the world in Marvel where everyone hates the mutants unlike the DC world is more realistic.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'd just like to add that, after thinking about it long enough, Batman is the best superhero ever.

That is all.