Ch 263

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Well I think you can reassure yourself that the ending isn't coming any time soon, at least.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

haha who else thinks of starwars when you hear "millenium falcon" and i think he might have met how long to you think this cycle or whatever is going to go on befor the next one starts...not before the manga ends...
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

Heh, I remember when I first saw in the scanlations the title Millenium Falcon, and thought "that has to be a bad translation", but after seeing the raws, I saw sure enough that that is precisely what is written in furigana as part of the chapter titles. (Furigana is a spelling out of some kanji words that are either deemed too advanced for the intended reader base, are using an obscure or unusual pronunciation of the kanji compound, or are using an entirely different pronunciation from another language, with the Kanji shown in order to give the Japanese a sense of what the foreign word/s mean.)

Where the chapter titles for this current arc of Berserk say in furigana "Millenium Falcon," the kanji actually convey the following meaning: "Compilation of the Thousand Year (Millenium) Empire of the Falcon/Hawk"

Similarly, the "Falconia" part of the chapter title is also a case of it being written as such in furigana, while the kanji more clearly means: Falcon/Hawk capital.

This lesson was brought to you by the letter "F" and the number "1000"
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

That is very cool, I didn't know the real meaning behind this story's arc title. :D
kasgarinn
Found the Edit button

Post by kasgarinn »

well, it's interesting that they're moving again.. but otherwise this chapter wasn't too exciting, great ending though, someone finally recognised him.

I'll be interested in seeing what the guy expects or asks of gutts and whether gutts will actually acknowledge his old title, but I'll expect gutts to show no interest in either helping the guy, acknowledging what he said or to do anything other than to get to the ship.

Good old evil gutts, let the fire burn the city and the corpses of the innocents.

K.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

kasgarinn wrote:Good old evil gutts, let the fire burn the city and the corpses of the innocents.

K.
Yes, the same old evil Guts, who just saved the entire ball :)
kasgarinn
Found the Edit button

Post by kasgarinn »

Only because he was forced to.. he didn't really want to do it. :twisted:

K.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I hope Farneses brother will die soon.
Hes such a pansy, hes gonna go on Guts nerves when he runs away everytime they smell a fight coming.
Gonna be really sweet by the way when Guts and Cascas protective auras on their brands disappears.
Farneses brother is gonna shit in his pants when that happens, literally :kekeke:

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
|||||||
Mastered PM

Post by ||||||| »

O wonder what'll happen if Cascas and Guts Talisman disappears while they are on the sea? Seamonsters? Guts shouldn't wear his armor too (since he swore not to swim in armor again). Or is the sea though connected to the astral world free of souls?
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

||||||| wrote:Or is the sea though connected to the astral world free of souls?
I think it could be a little easier than sea monsters. Maybe a ghost ship will appear, and dead pirates/sailors will jump on their ship, and combat will start. Oh, and for sure Manifico (or Magnifico, not sure) will shit on his pants. But I think Roderick will do quite well...like that guy that loved the prostitute when they were fighting those weird "angelic" apostles :)
Last edited by Khelegond on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Roderick seems to be quiet reliable, and that thing about the pirates sounds likeable to happen.
But then again, maybe not.
As long as the ship dont sink in a storm off some sort im happy.

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I just got to say "I told you so"... although they are not out of the city yet i am pretty sure they will be soon and with little resitance. I also dont think that Rod knows where elfheim is he just said that to get them on his ship. Who knows what he has in store for the crew??

P.S. You know I looked at that guy from that tower where griffith was reborn and that guy and Rod look almost exactly alike!!
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

And they act somewhat the same...not scared to death of the creatures, and wanting to help Guts because of his loved one :)
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Wandering_Mystic wrote:Heh, I remember when I first saw in the scanlations the title Millenium Falcon, and thought "that has to be a bad translation", but after seeing the raws, I saw sure enough that that is precisely what is written in furigana as part of the chapter titles. (Furigana is a spelling out of some kanji words that are either deemed too advanced for the intended reader base, are using an obscure or unusual pronunciation of the kanji compound, or are using an entirely different pronunciation from another language, with the Kanji shown in order to give the Japanese a sense of what the foreign word/s mean.)

Where the chapter titles for this current arc of Berserk say in furigana "Millenium Falcon," the kanji actually convey the following meaning: "Compilation of the Thousand Year (Millenium) Empire of the Falcon/Hawk"

Similarly, the "Falconia" part of the chapter title is also a case of it being written as such in furigana, while the kanji more clearly means: Falcon/Hawk capital.

This lesson was brought to you by the letter "F" and the number "1000"
thats what i assumed it meant. so good to know i was right :D.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Sandman wrote:I just got to say "I told you so"... although they are not out of the city yet i am pretty sure they will be soon and with little resitance. I also dont think that Rod knows where elfheim is he just said that to get them on his ship. Who knows what he has in store for the crew??

P.S. You know I looked at that guy from that tower where griffith was reborn and that guy and Rod look almost exactly alike!!
Hmm, never thought off that possibility before that he might be setting them all up.
Perhaps hes a spy for the Kushans.

Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Sandman wrote:I also dont think that Rod knows where elfheim is he just said that to get them on his ship. Who knows what he has in store for the crew??
He never really said he knows where elfheim is, he only said he heard about that island they mentioned where elfheim should be.
And yeah maybe he'll fall in their backs.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I just get a weird feeling when he looked at Guts and flick his own nose or something, something is not right...
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Well it was a pretty long time ago Guts killed an apostle. Maybe hes an apostle that Guts can slice up

MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

no, guts would start bleeding if they were apostles. but from DAY ONE i said i never trusted that guy. I think he is a spy or something for ganishka...
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Its like 80% chance he is a spy.

It can also be easier than that maybe he is just greedy and wants Farnese for himself so he can become one of the Vandemon family and become very rich and powerful.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

He's probably some sort of spy, but it's at least possible he's being honest when he says he loves Farnese and so the look he gave Guts was because he thinks Farnese might love Guts (though this possibility seems doubtful since he doesn't appear to know anything at all about Farnese). Remember, he told Guts that he couldn't stay back because he'd fallen for Farnese.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

He is talking bull he isnt in love with Farnese he just met her. He is in love with her family name.

Also Farnese has feelings for Guts even Roderick can see that.

He came with them cause he needs her but he is a fool to think that Guts will let him take her against her will.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

The love triangle between Guts, Serpico and Farnase has become a love square by including Rodrick.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Thanks for the great release as usual. EG rocks.

I'm really busy right now so I'll not join the discussion this time :)
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

Sandman wrote:The love triangle between Guts, Serpico and Farnase has become a love square by including Rodrick.
hm, i don't know if you could call the bond between Serpico and Farnese "love"; i sense more of a protective attachment at least from Serpico.

BTW, much thanks EG.