Heavy Metal

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Heavy Metal

Post by Starnum »

Okay, let's talk about the best type of must here, Heavy Metal! All right, to start with, who's your favorite metal band?

Mine is Slipknot! They're my favorite band period.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Gotta go with Tool.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, good choice! Yeah, they're definitely in my top five.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Tool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_band

Hands down, best ever.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Lacuna Coil.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
redria
imanewbie

Post by redria »

TOOL and In Flames
mrJotaan
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by mrJotaan »

Mine would be a crazy tie between Dimmu Borgir/Blind Guardian/Children of Bodom/Old man's Child/Ensiferum. I can't really decide, they're different genres for the most part but Old Man's Child and Dimmu are somewhat similiar since Galder is in both bands and Nick drummed for OMC in their recent album. About In Flames, old stuff or new stuff?
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Gaiseric wrote:Gotta go with Tool.
I never REALLY cared for them or APC, I found them to put me to sleep and be BORING!!!

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Music discussions are the shiznit (whatever that may be... :))

I'd go for:

In Flames (not "Soundtrack...", although their recent tour certainly rocked.)
Edge of Sanity (Purgatory Afterglow, one of the best albums ever, although not perfectly produced)
Benediction (Transcend the Rubicon, THE fucking best pure death metal album ever)
Acid Bath (Very weird but absolutely marvelous southern metal (which has nothing much southern about it))

Iron Maiden (the kings of the older generation, and still very much alive and kicking)

And quite frankly even the new whimps from Metallica did some good stuff in their earlier days.

This is just a brief selection, quite frankly I believe some of the best songs in the world were also made by other bands, and not really metal at all.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Brainpiercing wrote:Music discussions are the shiznit (whatever that may be... :))

I'd go for:

In Flames (not "Soundtrack...", although their recent tour certainly rocked.)
Edge of Sanity (Purgatory Afterglow, one of the best albums ever, although not perfectly produced)
Benediction (Transcend the Rubicon, THE fucking best pure death metal album ever)
Acid Bath (Very weird but absolutely marvelous southern metal (which has nothing much southern about it))

Iron Maiden (the kings of the older generation, and still very much alive and kicking)

And quite frankly even the new whimps from Metallica did some good stuff in their earlier days.

This is just a brief selection, quite frankly I believe some of the best songs in the world were also made by other bands, and not really metal at all.
I seen In FLames Live they were pretty good... And anything reload and before was good for Metallica, before they sold out..

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Tool, because anything else is just "pay me money!".
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I've seen In Flames live twice, once with Iced Earth and Jag Panzer, the other time with Slayer and Soulfly. They used to be my favorite metal band and then everything after Clayman just sucked hardcore. Edge of Sanity is pretty good, the only album I had was Purgatory Afterglow. Any of you guys like At The Gates or The Crown? Anything with Tomas Lindberg in it is awesome but he's a metalslut, he joins a band and leaves em soon after. You guys not into more black/death metal? I've seen one black metal band other than the stuff I mentioned.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Sinergy, In Flames, Childern of the Bodom, Demons and Wizards, Dir en grey (they are metal right?)

and my friends band

Helken. They are crazy good, though they have only 3 songs right now, i just see them in the ranks of the metal genre. ( im getting the cd, so if anyone want to hear it ill upload it sometime or send it to anyone who wants it)
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

Currently my favorite metal bands are Slipknot/Fear Factory/ Muvayne/ Machine Head/ Soilwork. But my favorites continously change.

Tool is very sophisticated music, but their complex melodies sometimes lack the energy/ aggressiveness I like in metal. I love their song "Die Eier von Satan"
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

For me, Sinergy/Children of Bodom go hand in hand because Alexi plays for them since he's married to Kim from Sinergy. It's the same thing for Iced Earth/Blind Guardian/Demons and Wizards since Jon Schaeffer from Iced Earth and Hansi from Blind Guardian are in Demons and Wizards.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Some wicked tunes would be: Fear Factory, And Oceans, Apocalyptica, bauhaus, Beheaded, Blind Gaurdian, Cephalic Carnage, Ceremonial Oath, Cradle of Filth, Cult of Luna, Death, Dimmu Borgir, Gravity Kills, Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Immolation, Jag Panzer, Lacuna Coil, Man O' War, Marduk, Nightwish, Opeth, Order of the Dying Knights, Pitchshifter, Powerman 5k, Rammstein, Helmet, Monster Magnet, Mindless Self Indulgence, Paradise Lost, Rage Against the Machine, Tool....

just the full albums under my Metal directory... have some SynthPop, Video Game Music, Rock, Lounge, Industrial, Electornica, EBM, Classical... and of course... Anime related music. :P So long as it is NOT rap, country, or pop... I'm happy. ^_^

Oh btw, and ALL metal is good metal. Black, Death, Speed, Thrash, Viking, War metal is gewd.
Last edited by psi29a on Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redria
imanewbie

Post by redria »

Rammstein never really sounded like Metal to me :?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

psi29a wrote:Tool, because anything else is just "pay me money!".
Oh, no way. I can think of lots of bands that don't care about the money.

"All the money in the world can't buy me!" - Corey Taylor "Slipknot"

I'm glad to see my thread spawning so much conversation. I love most of the bands that have been mentioned. Shit, I don't even recognize some of them though. Don't forget about Opeth guys! They're the shizznite! Yeah, I like other types of music too. I can get into almost any kind of music, almost. In some cases I can only handle things in moderation though, like rap or country. I'd rather listen to rap than country though. However, my love is for that which is metal!
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

halfnhalf wrote:Sinergy, In Flames, Childern of the Bodom, Demons and Wizards, Dir en grey (they are metal right?)
I like Dir en Grey too.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

I'd recommend Ensiferum and Wintersun (both being the same band practically since the lead singer from Ensiferum left and created Wintersun).
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Musical definitions are subjective, by the same note Rage, Lacuna Coil, Rammstein, MSI and Monster Magnet wouldn't be metal... but rock or bizarre. *shrugs* I lump it in there, because I use rock to define Sammy Hagar, Ted Nuggent, Black Sabboth, Blue Oyster Cult... etc etc. I just might be dating myself though :P
Trog
Mastered PM

Post by Trog »

Rammstein is metal (,especially the older albums Sehnsucht and Herzleid).
Their aggressive, driving guitar riffs, with strong distortion, make it metal.
Since their musik also has strong industrial influences, you can call it Industrial Metal.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Gaiseric wrote:
halfnhalf wrote:Sinergy, In Flames, Childern of the Bodom, Demons and Wizards, Dir en grey (they are metal right?)
I like Dir en Grey too.
WOOO Dir en Grey FAN!!!

pretty hot chicks wouldnt you say??

(be advised... they are not chicks what so ever, they are all men)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I just call it industrial... :P but, whatever floats your boot.

As I've said, music is subjective.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

halfnhalf: They had some good stuff in their chick phase, but I like their newer stuff better. Have you seen the Obscure video?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry