Most overrated anime ever

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

mrJotaan
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by mrJotaan »

The thing about Dragonball is that people come along and see a groundbreaking anime and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. The same thing happened with Naruto, I actually preferred it when it wasn't well known. It was only natural for the same thing to happen with Naruto when Kishimoto said that his main influence was Dragonball. An old joke but still applies to both Dragonball and Naruto: How many dbz characters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Just one but it takes about 15 episodes to do so.

By the way, on a somewhat related topic, what's the most underrated anime series you can think of?
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

mrjotaan wrote:I guess you haven't watched GITS SAC 1st gig and 2nd gig because there's nothing overrated about that, it's just simply great. To me, it's not even about the animation, it's about the story which is pretty deep
well, i said i saw some of it and that was enough for me to come to the conclusion it sucked ass. Besides, i have further reason not to watch since people i know also hate it.

Evangelion is one of the best out there.
People have been dissin on DBZ for ages, but i will always like it no matter what. There are some great moments in there. Besides it was my gateway anime.

An underrated anime that i ve seen is Vampire Princess Miyu ovas.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

My gatewat anime was either DBZ or Ronin Warriors.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

You're probably the first person that I've come across that hates Gits Sac, I love it with all the politics/deep topics, it's exciting. To each his own I guess. I admit, I first started watching dragonball a long time ago when I was a kid and that's what got me into it originally. I actually hated anime for a while, even after watching dragonball but I didn't really know about the Japanese scene since I was 10. I hated it up until like 4 years ago, my ex made me watch Kenshin and it got me into anime. It was just that before that, everyone I knew was into it and it seemed to be a trend and I'm not trendy at all.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Trog: Wow, your last couple of posts impressed me. They were very well done and made excellent points. Like I said, you have a good point. Although, I never really thought to much about what was actually physically taking place during Instrumentality, as that was just plot, important, but even more important, was just the philosophies being spoken of. You know what I mean?

“Sometime people are so busy looking at all the details, that they fail to see the big picture.” – Kaji

Indeed an interesting discussion though. I’m glad you elaborated on why you feel the way you do, Trog. Now I actually value your opinion on this matter, as it seems to have true depth. I agree that Shinji was a whiny, annoying little bastard, but he actually didn’t ruin anything for me *shrugs*.
Shade
This is my new home

Post by Shade »

Final Fantasy Unlimited or whatever it was...
It was supposed to be so so good but it really was just crap.
And sailor moon... don't get me started... jeez
~http://www.thecenternetwork.com/forum/~
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Ninja Scroll is underrated very underrated, its very good show and movie but you dont heard people talking about it so much.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Dark_Zilo

Post by Dark_Zilo »

Ninja Scroll really kicks ass although few people know it

NGE was not to bad but not to good either, because my brother saw it before me and was all like "it's excellent" and "you've got to watch it" and stuff
when i watched it (maybe because i rised my expectations too high) i didn't seem an outstanding anime to me
all of it's Shinji battle with is father really sucked. i think they focused too much on it
also when Asuka comes to live with him and a lot of things happen he doesn't show any reaction at all
more: the only thing that appealed to me was the love story involving Shinji, Asuka, Misato and that guy that Asuka likes in the beginning (can't remember his name)
The most beautiful thing in life is life itself
Get bitten by me
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Dark_Zilo wrote: that guy that Asuka likes in the beginning (can't remember his name)
Kaiji, if I can recall. I enjoyed the series, but hated the movies. I accepted the ending because it explored Shinji in his inner psyche, and it was a lead up to the movies.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Most underrated has to be Legend of the Condor Heroes...the animation was pretty terrible, but the plot was brilliant. Romeo and Juliet's Forbidden love in crouching tiger style. Where love between a master and pupil cannot exist...

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
mrJotaan

Post by mrJotaan »

It is a really good series, I saw some on the chinese channels here, unfortunately I'm not fluent in Mandarin or Cantonese so I can't really watch it. The problem was, Live-Evil, the group that did most of it, wasn't really well known and then it got licensed so we all had to dig up what we could find. I'm waiting for the second season to start :D.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

mrJotaan wrote:It is a really good series, I saw some on the chinese channels here, unfortunately I'm not fluent in Mandarin or Cantonese so I can't really watch it. The problem was, Live-Evil, the group that did most of it, wasn't really well known and then it got licensed so we all had to dig up what we could find. I'm waiting for the second season to start :D.
hey, if you know how to use emule, i'll PM you the site with the ed2k links...season 2 has just started! Episode 27.

Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Well i loved Eva and the endings full of nothingness, but this isnt' about Eva it's about other overrated things.

Record of Lodoss War must die!, .Hack//sign must get pissed on, Naruto anime is horrid, and Ruroni Kenshin is no where as important as people say. I could throw Dragon Ball Z out there too but I like Trunks before I could spell his name.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, this Malvado guy apparently has no taste.

Why do people slam on good anime when their's shit like Yugioh out there.

The guy that Asuka liked was named Kaji, not Kaiji. The reason Eva focuses on the character's problems so much is because it's all a big setup for Instrumentality. It shouldn't surprise me that people don't understand that *sigh*.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Malvado wrote:Well i loved Eva and the endings full of nothingness, but this isnt' about Eva it's about other overrated things.

Record of Lodoss War must die!, .Hack//sign must get pissed on, Naruto anime is horrid, and Ruroni Kenshin is no where as important as people say. I could throw Dragon Ball Z out there too but I like Trunks before I could spell his name.
I don't know why you didn't like Kenshin...the only episodes that were the weakest part were the last ones with the Daoists....

ROTW wasn't that bad...Hacksign was indeed terrible, the animation in Naruto may be slow paced, but the story and fights are awesome. Now, DBZ is the only anime that I didn't fancy. I liked the original DB, when Goku was a kid. I'm a big fan of Dr Slump.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Dear God *Beats his head against the wall*! Anything in the Kenshin anime past episode 62 wasn't even written by Nobuhiro Watsuki! So it can go to hell and die for all I care!

Other than that, Lodoss War is awesome! Naruto is one of the best animes out there! Finally, DBZ revolutionized the industry. It's got its bad sides, but because of it we've got things like Naruto and One Piece! Stop being over judgmental critics with no real sense of taste and bash the really shitty stuff all ready!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Beyblades is one of the worst anime I have ever seen. It's a craze with little kids, and it's sad everytime I hear the words 'let it rip!'

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

There you go, that's better. What about that show Rave Master. I've never actually watched it, but I heard it sucked too.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Rave master wasn't too bad. It had its moments.

I didn't really enjoy Crystania, the sequel to ROTLR, and lots of people recommended it to me. It lacked the substance of the first one.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Um, I seriously doubt Crystania had anything to do with Lodoss War...but I could be wrong. I doubt it though. It's kind of like how Ninja Resurrection was supposed to be the sequel to Ninja Scroll. That is such a lie. That is like the worst anime ever too!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:Um, I seriously doubt Crystania had anything to do with Lodoss War...but I could be wrong. I doubt it though. It's kind of like how Ninja Resurrection was supposed to be the sequel to Ninja Scroll. That is such a lie. That is like the worst anime ever too!
There's a few characters from Lodoss War that comes back in Crystania. So, they are related, but the story is way different. I can't give you the names, (because the version I have isn't in English) but the dark elf returns...and her sire is possessed, and she fights alongside others in order to beat some sense in him. It's quite a medicore story, but the animation wasn't bad.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, wierd. I'll check into it and see if it's official, but I'm betting it's not.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Is there subbed version of Crystiana, im a big fan of Lodoss War ova. It has always bugged me how nobody punished the witch.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Well I put Lodoss up there because it couoldn't keep my interest at all. I like manga more then anime so of course I'm going to dog Naruto for not being as good as the manga, could do the same with hellsing anime compared to the manga.

I dislike Kenshin's character throughtout the series unless he was berserk. It's like I liked trigun but the main character's "i'm so happy" presentation pissed me off. I know they are hiding some bad history and what not but that "happy" emotion just upsets me.

And overrated doesn't mean I hate it, I believe Cowboy bebop is overrated but I still like it.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:Hm, wierd. I'll check into it and see if it's official, but I'm betting it's not.
Here Starnum, here's some info on Crystania:

http://animenfo.com/animetitle,313,xmwx ... cryst.html

It's by Ryo Mizuno, the same person responsible for Lodoss War. I guess you can and cannot call it a sequel, since it's a new story set in Crystania, but the characters Ashram and Pirotesse return (trying to find a new home for his people)