HELP ME!!

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

HELP ME!!

Post by Buzkashi »

Hey. alright check it.

Im trying to make a wee bit more room on my comp so what Im planning on doing is saving all my manga to an outside source. Now my cousin hooked me up with a 64mb memory chip but it takes forever to transfer files onto it. Like when I was trying to save my berserk manga on it . I also tried it with blank cd's (gets the same long ass time results...)

So basiclly what I am trying to say is that is there anyother way to save my files w/o having have these long ass waits?!?!

Thanks in advance,

-The Man You Admire Most- Buzkashi
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

*Bows down in admiration*

Wait a second takes back bow.

DVDs. But that requires you buying a DVD burner. I got nearly 10 GBs of manga on my computer, I am assuming you probably have around the same or more. Berserk alone is like 2 GBs. Well a CD is 700 MBs where a DVD can get you 4.35 GBs on a single layer and like 8.5 GBs on a dual layer. The dual layers are crazy overpriced though. But that is probably more expensive than what you need. CDs are probably the fastest way to do it without a DVD burner but that will take a while.

Convince you parents to by a DVD burner. They have many wonderful uses. But if you are not going to use a DVD burner for anything else then probably no point in getting one. You could always just buy another bigger harddrive. That will make the problem go away. Probably cheaper than the DVD solution.

Someone else might know a better solution.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Another novel solution is to buy a USB 2.0 enclosure and put an IDE harddrive into it. Find yourself one of those 400GB Seagate or Maxtor monsters... then buy one of those $40 USB 2.0 enclosures and use that to store you loot. Whenever you want access to it, just plug in the USB cable. Make sure it is USB 2.0 because, anything less than that is very slow. (~10mbps as compared to ~450mbps)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

When I ran out of space I rushed out and got myself a DVD burner. And 50 blank DVDs. All those cost me less than $300 US.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

If you do buy a DVD burner one of hte best places to get good DVD prices as well as CD prices is http://www.shop4tech.com/.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

DVD burners are nice and all... but damn dude, why do that when you can get 400GB of storage on a FAST device that is portable for the same amount of money. *scratches head*
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

That is true. But I use my burner in ways that the 400GB harddrive can't help me. But as far as backup storage I woudl say it is much better. I need more HD space myself, just too lazy to get out and buy new stuff. I like HD better then DVD for storage of files and stuff. And portable is really nice. I got a friend who has that setup, but my computer doesn't even support USB 2.0, its old.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I dont have that kinda money... Oh well I guess I'll just go one by one with CD's and waste a day of my break...
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Evanidus
"Natural" Genius

Post by Evanidus »

psi29a wrote:DVD burners are nice and all... but damn dude, why do that when you can get 400GB of storage on a FAST device that is portable for the same amount of money. *scratches head*
Heh, given the choice between a fast 400GB or dvd burner for _storage_, I'd take the burner, because 400GB fills too fast for me ;)

*looks at his >3TiB of anime on dvd-rs*

I used to download nearly 300GiB/month

lately it's only 100GiB/month usually though

And beside, I never really trusted these huge storage drives.. if I scratch a dvd, I just lose 4.3GiB, if I somehow break the drive, have to go through painful restoration processes or lose 400GB ;)

What I'd rather have is _both_ anyhow... big drive for easy reading/serving of usual files, and dvd-r for backup/storage. Heh.

Anyway... fine fine... /me goes back in his corner
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Evanidus wrote:I used to download nearly 300GiB/month

lately it's only 100GiB/month usually though
:shock: Wow.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I download 60 gigs/month.

Until I switched to a new plan that capped me at 40.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
yupachups
notanewb

Post by yupachups »

psi29a wrote:Another novel solution is to buy a USB 2.0 enclosure and put an IDE harddrive into it. Find yourself one of those 400GB Seagate or Maxtor monsters... then buy one of those $40 USB 2.0 enclosures and use that to store you loot. Whenever you want access to it, just plug in the USB cable. Make sure it is USB 2.0 because, anything less than that is very slow. (~10mbps as compared to ~450mbps)
or else for 300 bucks, you can a new pc as a file server.
a usb flash mem key of 2gigs from 159bucks.
i'm Here !!
Griffith

Post by Griffith »

buy 5 gb cds and save to dics is what i do only have berserk and music on my computer th other 300 gb of media is saved to disc.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

hmmmmm Where can I see one of these Seagate 400 Gig drives?

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Seagate (ST3400832AS) 400 GB Hard Drive

5 Year warrenty on all Seagate drives.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Heheheh its to late, been to late for a while actually. I cleared out my whole comp. Thats why i cant do any 0make. And god i have ideas. So many ideas.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Buzkashi wrote:Heheheh its to late, been to late for a while actually. I cleared out my whole comp. Thats why i cant do any 0make. And god i have ideas. So many ideas.
thats what you said last time... ideas... sure....
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Buzkashi wrote:i cant do any 0make. And god i have ideas. So many ideas.
I bet your ideas are like this page:

Or, as blank as it. :wink: :P

Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Format c:

Your best friend to clean your main HDD. :P
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
azncloud
imanewbie

Post by azncloud »

[ELdo] When I ran out of space I rushed out and got myself a DVD burner. And 50 blank DVDs. All those cost me less than $300 US. [Eldo]

=/ i wonder why it could be quite an amount rite here =)
in case u live in the us, the total amount adds up to 70 or max 80 bucks (even the price was 2 months ago) with taiyo yuden DVD or ritek.

if you guys could wait, jus wait for blueray, then you should be able to store hecka lots.

if you do not want to wait, and want big storage, just like psi said, buy a big monster [Seagate 400GB] and store wutever you have,
since hard drive is more reliable than DVD and the price is just droppin like crazy,
yes, you only lose 4.3gb with a DVD but its more likely to happen.
i suggest seagate harddrive though, you got 5 years
warranty rite there =)

i got 600gb seagate on my desktop with nearly 60gb of manga, i don't store anime though, except slam dunk, one piece and very few others,
my comp has been on 24/7 for the past 5,6 months (except some restart after installing new warez) and it has not given me a single problem at all.

though cost is literally more expensive to DVDs, with 100 blank DVDs (~ best quality) - equals ~ 430gb - is only ~ 33 - 35 bucks hehe ;-)

another situation is you want to brings it with you, just buy the usb2 pocket harddrive - i think retailers are selling it at 120-150 bucks for 20gb, online retailers should be cheaper, around 80-100.
and if you ebay it, you could buy a 40gb or even 60gb for that amount
the drive is pretty small itself, i recall the dimension is only about 5 x 3 x 0.5 inch, and weight for only 5.5 ouch

cheer,
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

In my experience CDs/DVDs are more reliable then hard drives. I have seen many harddrives go bad, and the only time I have seen CDs or DVDs go bad is when you scratch the hell out of them. Even then you can sometimes still recover your missing data.