Waiting on Miura is a bitch

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Waiting on Miura is a bitch

Post by The Herald »

And then a few after that in the coming weeks, and then another 3 or 4 months of waiting. I'm almost ready to give up on Berserk, but no other manga has made me feel this much in a long time. Since university anyways.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

The Herald wrote:And then a few after that in the coming weeks, and then another 3 or 4 months of waiting. I'm almost ready to give up on Berserk, but no other manga has made me feel this much in a long time. Since university anyways.
Yes, I was thoroughly engrossed the first time I read through it. I see it getting really good based on recent chapters, or at least it has the potential too. It is only unfortunate that this series is in the hands of an author who doesn't care to give us, the readers, new chapters in a reasonable time frame. I personally think I will abstain from reading the next chapter just out of frustration over these unnecessary delays.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

turkey wrote:I personally think I will abstain from reading the next chapter just out of frustration over these unnecessary delays.
So you're so frustrated over the delays that you decide to not read the chapter when it comes out, effectively delaying it even further.

I think this is the modern equivalent of those monks who lit themselves on fire to protest.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

War Machine wrote:I think this is the modern equivalent of those monks who lit themselves on fire to protest.
Hahahahahahahahahah! Yeah, those were hilarious. turkey's funny, too.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I'll definitely read them when they come out, only because of the amount of time i've already put in. But yeah, I don't think I'll step down off the fence (between Berserk worship and casual reading) until I see Miura releasing at a consistant reading pace. And that pace shouldn't include months in between releases.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Nyst
imanewbie

Post by Nyst »

Hello everybody,

In my opinion, new Berserk chapters are just bonus. The author could be already dead, or the manga simply finished or cancelled by the editor. It's been such a long time since it began ! When i think about it, i discover I've been a Berserk addict for almost ten years.

Nevertheless, waiting for new chapters really is a bitch (i don't understand properly that expression, cause i'm french, but it sounds good to me :o ). What kills me is that i ignore the reason for the delays. I'm gratefull to Miura, and i'll always will, but i think we fans ought to know.

For instance we know why there are delays for Hunter X Hunter (though we can't compare those manga) : the author has health problems.

Well... I guess i just have to stay quiet, and wait :(
BaNaN
imanewbie

Post by BaNaN »

Found this text at a Japanese newpaper

"今日2010年 6月22日健太郎三浦の死が確認された。彼は病気しばらくしていた後、彼は自宅で死亡した。 長い漫画シリーズベルセルクは今ではリリースされて停止するように三浦さんは彼の人生を逃される。"

Use google translator and it says Miura has died.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Post a damn source. Seriously if this is a joke I'm gonna ban you.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Nah. I doubt that.
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

DrPepperPro wrote:Post a damn source. Seriously if this is a joke I'm gonna ban you.
Even if this is a joke, I think that it will be a learning experience for you. See? Do you see now why it is important for Miura to continue his work, instead of blowing it off? I hope you learned your lesson and see the wisdom in the view that this title be transferred over to the hands of a more capable author.

I look forward to the prospect of this title going over to another author. Someone serious about working on it
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Having more assistants is reasonable, but another author being given Berserk is probably the most retarded option I've ever heard. If Miura comes out and says he's not interested in working on it anymore, then sure. But otherwise, as long as he is still making it the best story he can (to his own desires/dreams, not the fans'), then I don't think any other author should take over his work.

And I could handle it if Miura dies, in that case, another author taking up the work would be very reasonable. But fooling people into believing he's dead is a terrible thing.
turkey wrote:Do you see now why it is important for Miura to continue his work, instead of blowing it off?
There's another of those unreasonable assumptions again. You imply that everyone believes he's not dedicated to his work. You are only guessing at that, remember.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

turkey wrote:Even if this is a joke, I think that it will be a learning experience for you. See? Do you see now why it is important for Miura to continue his work, instead of blowing it off? I hope you learned your lesson and see the wisdom in the view that this title be transferred over to the hands of a more capable author.
Yeah, shame on all of us for wanting the author to continue his work. Everybody calm down, the professor has arrived and he is here to instruct us on proper impatience and teach us how to blame the others for our self generated frustration, as if most people had any sway on what Miura does.

Really, there's only one thing to say here:

"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Seriously...if someone else other than Miura were to start writing Berserk while he's still alive, I'd probably stop reading it. I'd rather just wait than for that happen.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Miura made Berserk. Transferring ownership of his intellectual property to someone else who can release chapters sooner is a dumb thing because then the everything about Berserk will change. I don't like waiting for Berserk, but I don't hinge my happiness on a new chapter popping up.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Funny for a Japanese newspaper article that his name is written backwards. Fuckwit.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Re: Miura is a little bitch

Post by fujinsan »

tsubaimomo wrote:Miura is just another person, we shouldn't demand too much of him. Most art takes time, and usually isn't fully appreciated until much later. You might compare him to others who make chapters weekly or monthly, but I say that it's better for Miura to not try to standardize his work, let the man relax, let him do his thing, which has brought us greatness so far... Really, what I mean to say is that if Berserk never had another chapter, I would love it just the same. Also, think about this: Miura has been working on this story for over 20 years - it's his life and will become his legacy - that equals dedication. We the readers must also try to have dedication and patience in order to eventually enjoy the entirety of Berserk.
I couldn't agree more, by the time berserk is finished it will truly be one of the greatest arts of it's time. A story spanning several decades in real time just to make sure every single bit of art and story is how the author depicted it. In my opinion, when berserk is done it will be remembered as the greatest manga ever made, and not many people have the right to claim that. Mangas like Bleach and Naruto are only passing fancies, who will seriously remember it when it's over? My expectations of Berserk is very high so when a chapter comes I want it to be the single most defining moment of awesomeness I've read that month, and usually it is. See when it get's down to it, Berserk is an artform in itself, I'm not sure how many people's heart sink whenever they see a new Berserk chapter available like mine does, but I can guarantee most people in this forum are over ecstatic when one comes out. If you do so chose to quit reading it then it's your bad, you'll just be missing out on one of the most thrilling story's ever told, and I won't be the one to say "You missed out."
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Couldn't agree more. Berserk is going to be the Lord of the Rings of Manga, whether retards like the author of this thread acknowledge it or not.
The characterization, the setting, the artwork...everything about it is going to influence this medium for decades. The everyone-rapes-everyone theme might get thrown under the carpet, though.
~Diogenes of Sinope
SilentSnake
imanewbie

Post by SilentSnake »

One of the reasons that the story and the artwork are topnotch is because Miura is taking his time to do the research and draw.

The moment Berserk is transferred to another author is the moment you start recognizing Guts by "this huge swordthing" in his hand and Caska by giant, typical mangaish breasts.

Maybe we'd reach elfheim in an instant, but I don't even want to think what the story would become like without Miura's hand in it...

*shudders*
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

This is in response to fujinsan/Rolos.

First off, Rolos, this manga isn't as big of a deal as you seem to think, so you can stop calling the thread starter a retard.

Now, fujinsan, you seriously need to read some fantasy books or something if you think berserk is so amazing, which i consider to be an average quality story. Miura isn't this genius author you think he is. He's talented, but not anything to get obsessive over.

Don't be so foolish that you presume to know that no other mangaka could continue with a decent story. If a new author took over, you know, they might actually WORK ON IT. derp. This is something that has escaped Miura, it doesn't matter how good the story is so long as he makes a habit of suspending it

Consistent releases is key, people
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

Berserk will obviously be read in the future after ourselves and Miura are gone. I'd want them to appreciate the quality of it as much as possible, which perhaps requires that Miura take his delicate time. I'm willing to wait in order to ensure that quality.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

you cant really compare books to a comic/manga to well. the "art: of the novel is getting you to visualize what is happening, or leave some of it to your imagination. where as in a comic/manga the author has to use the pictures to to not only describe the scenery, the charcaters looks, the characters emotions, and many other things that people might see everyday and not even notice it

imho compareing and saying a comic or manga is not as good as any novel is like comparing an oil painting to a pen and paper sketch.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I'll have to disagree with you on this one, papasith.
As far as I'm concerned, the medium chosen to (1)establish a setting, (2)create characters and (3)tell a story is largely irrelevant when judging whether a work of fiction is good or not.
Granted, every mediums has its own pros and cons, but that's not what's really important.
What's important is creating a world, populating with characters, and telling the events that take place in this "fictional reality".
If done properly, we'll submerge ourselves into this world, and for the short time that we're experiencing this work of fiction, think as if we were part of it.
If done properly, we'll think of this characters as real persons, and care for them (or hate them) as such.
If done properly, we'll care about what happens to this world and its inhabitants.
All works of fiction that fail to accomplish any of this tasks are bad (or at least mediocre) work of fiction, be them comics, novels, movies, etc...
So a novel can be better than a comic.

As for what turkey says, I'd love to hear him elaborate on why berserk is so average and mediocre and "not such a big deal".
I'd like to contrast his arguments with mine.
Since most of his comments so far can be summed up as "Miura sucks because he no longer draws blood and guts and ultra-violence like he used to", I don't expect much.
I mean, how can you seriously claim that a series that so masterfully deals such a wide range of themes is bad?

P.S. Berserk is not really Fantasy, is it? I mean, its dualism is not one of Magic and physical world, it's more like "Ideal world" and "Extensive (physical) world". People in berserk call the "ideal" world "spiritual" because they're ignorant fucks, right?
Shiercke (who seems to be the only one with a basic understanding of how their world works) uses the world "ideal" and "spiritual" as interchangeable, though, but that's because for all practical purposes, a spirit and an ideal form are indistinguishable from one another.
At least that's what I think.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'm completely with you on that Rolos.

I get in lots of discussions about how you can't and shouldn't say compare a movie to a book, a manga to a movie, a reallife movie to a handdrawn one, etc.

Yeah of course, you can't really compare the camerawork and editing of a movie to the writing of a book. Neither can you compare the writing to the stills of a manga. But all those things are just means to an end, which is always: telling a story that is worth telling.

What's the difference between hearing a story told at a fireplace; reading the same story in a book; reading the same story in a manga; or seeing a movie that has exactly the same story? Yeah the medium is different but the essence of the story (characters, plot, setting, etc.) is still the same. So depending on the story, its author usually tells it via the medium is he most comfort with, or the medium that fits the story best. So, the Lord of the Rings was told through a book, while Firefly and Babylon 5 were told via television, while Beserk is told through a manga?

Does that make any of those mediums lesser than another? No, why should it? It's the story and all that it entails that matters, the rest is just (eye) candy.

So, why not compare Berserk to the Lord of the Rings? What are a few things that define the Lord of the Rings?

- It's epic in scope.
- It's very much about the characters and their development throughout the story, and their choices in it.
- Besides an ultimate evil entity nobody is 100% evil. It's all a shade of gray.
- The main characters have to survive in a harsh world that seems to put one obsticle over the next in their path.
- Its author put pretty much his entire lifefforce into it (Tolkien wrote a few other things, but this main work is the Middle Earth Legendarium)
- It's set in an alternate version of the european middle ages.
- A beloved leader changes sides and seems to be in liege with the evil entity, but instead has his own plans for rulership.

Oh look, each of those bullet points could be used exactly like that to describe Berserk! Funny thing...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I agree. Berserk is legendary. ;)

Also, it seems kind of retarded to me when people talk about how much they hate Miura for making them wait for Berserk. We wouldn't even have Berserk if it wasn't for Miura. That's literally some ass backwards logic if you ask me. Like a rabid fanboy who kills a celebrity over a piece of art, like what happened with Dimebag. That's some sad shit, and those people need to get a fucking life. I can only imagine all the hate mail Miura gets from these losers. As if that's going to help at all. There's plenty of things to read and do in the interim, I mean my goodness. Anyway, regardless of whatever stupid shit people may think, he's not just off playing video games. Quality takes time, so be patient and let the man do it right. If someone else started making Berserk instead of Miura, unless he specifically told them everything that he had planned, then there's no way they would know what his vision is, and so it wouldn't really be Berserk. Besides, I doubt there are many people out there that can draw like Miura. Just go back and look at some of the 2-page murals, pay close attention to the level of detail in the art. It's ridiculous, and that kind of attention to detail takes time. I'll post some scans if necessary. I've seen a few other artists come close, but none quite measure up IMO. When people say the art isn't -that- good, I just have to laugh, because honestly the level of detail and skill in the art is downright sick. Plus the story is very well thought out and cohesive. It literally connects to things in the present story that were foreshadowed in the beginning (20 years ago!). The level of detail isn't only in the art, but also the story. It's just harder to tell when you read the chapters spread out over the releases, but go back and read it all at once, and it's all there. Even the pacing is spot on, it's just that the releases are intermittent. Yeah, it sucks to have to wait, but like I said, quality takes time. In the end the quality is worth the wait. Otherwise we get a story full of plot holes, forgotten story elements, and neglected characters who don't get enough development. If you want timeliness over quality, then go read the weekly shonen jump. Otherwise, people need to chill out and let the man work at his own pace.

Also, this comment isn't targeted at anyone specifically, just my personal thoughts and feelings. Well, maybe this guy...

Some fucktard on a different site wrote:you stinking fuck (Miura) !! why the fuck are u taking so much fuckin time in writing ur fucking great manga !!! i hate you asshole ! u should rot in hell ( after finishing berserk ) ...
so much fans hate you .. you stinkin shitty excuse for a human being !!! if you have a slight consideration for your fans motherfucker you would've told us when ur fucking haitus will be over !! i stinkin hateee youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ..
phew :P that was good
I mean seriously, in what kind of retardo universe does this level of wanton stupidity make sense? It reminds me of a repressed homosexual serial killer who kills other gay men because he wants their butt but hates them for making him feel gay. Ah, you gotta love the interwebs. Where emo tweens go to blow off angst. Having a great day and wanna take it down a notch, go read some youtube comments or something.

Phew, there, I feel better. :P
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

While we're on the subject here, EG is working on 313, right?