Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:The first issue of Secret Invasion left me completely uninterested in the entire event.

The first issue of Final Crisis, while perhaps a little bland, has me excited for things to come.

[spoiler]The Martian Manhunter's death was bullshit though.[/spoiler]
Most people say that with Secret Invasion, the Skrulls has been used repeatedly in plot points and are unoriginal. I haven't read much about Skrulls besides in Runaways and Annihilation, so I'm liking it so far.

I think they're trying to hype the powers of Libra by the death of that character. I thought it was bullshit too, but it could be misdirection though. I mean, if Barry Allen's coming back, then I'll guess we'll have to wait 10 more years for the characters that die in Final Crisis to come back to life. At this point, I don't know what the purpose of Anthro's story was (besides him linked to Metron) and its relevance, so I guess we'll have to wait until Morrison unveils the plot points.

I think Final Crisis would read well in trade, but Secret Invasion, at least for me, reads better in single issues.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The part about Darkseid's army of anti-life endowed kids really piqued my interest in the series.

And I don't think they're overhyping Libra at all.

He did say that he wouldn't look forward to taking on the Martian Manhunter at full strength.

He's just trying to organize the bad guys, kinda like what Bendis is doing with the Hood.

And there's definitely something being set-up with Anthro as well.

It was a good issue just mostly set-up.

Crazier shit happened in the first issue of Secret Invasion but I still found it rather boring.

I think I've just fully converted to DC.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

MournfulWoods wrote:I need some suggestions as to what I should be reading, nest. I love Brian K. Vaughan's stuff, even though I've only read Y The Last Man and Runaways Vol3 HC. I'm not sure about Ex Machina, at first Glance it looks kinda weird. I also love The Walking Dead, The Luna Brothers' Stuff as well as alternative comics like The Pushman and Other Stories. I'm searching for Standalone Graphic Novels or collected HC that have strong stories and characters, dark mood, apocalyptic fiction or Film Noir/horror kind of stuff. Weird stuff, like 20th Century Boys.

Any Suggestions ?

Marvel Zombies 2 was horrible.
Ex Machina is a very good read. Its BKV good. Read also his The Hood mini which was very good.

Film Noir ? There is no better crime writer than Ed Brubaker. Sleeper(spy),Scene of The crime(crime),Criminal(great noir crime),Gotham Central(crime in Gotham but about cops and not superheroes).

Sin City is great Film Noir too. Not only about violent like the movies. There are some real good stories collected GNs. 100 Bullets is good too.

Hellblazer and John Constantine is the best horror/supernatural comic there is. Dont think about the stupid american movie....
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Final Crisis #2 knocked the ball out of the fucking park.

Insane stuff happening.

Everyone's fucked.

Can't wait for the next issue.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Issue two was a vast improvement over the first issue. This is what issue one should have been. I felt that issue one should have more pages and more action, but that's the problem with setup.

I'm also partially enjoying Trinity: I dig the characterisations, but not too sure I dig the story.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Have you guys read World War Hulk ?

I need help, i finished Planet Hulk arc and starting to read WWH but i dont know what is important. Other than IH main series and WWH mini are anything else important ? Any of the tie ins ? I couldnt carless about Ghost Rider,X-men and co.....

Also is it only me who thought it was lame how Hulk only got three days to rule and be in peace before they destroyed his world. I would like a couple of more issues of King Hulk and Hulk jr and Cairna before everything got back to smash puny humans again...
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Romita jr.'s art almost made WWH unreadable to me. The x men tie in was pretty sweet tho, you get to see hulk seriously fuck up all the xmen + juggernaught.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Just read the latest part of the R.I.P Batman story. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This is either the coolest storyline ever or the dumbest storyline ever. I keep flip-flopping.
ImageImage
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I just read RIP today. Methinks that Jet has something to do with the Black Glove, when the Black Glove ransacked the place, we see Alfred beaten up, but nowhere do we see Jet. I was so close to saying that 'Jet is a product of Bruce's mind', until I reread an issue where the guy with eyes on his fingers talks to Jet about it. However, it is pretty suspicious; how is a woman like Jet be able to avoid all those glamourous stuff when her country, allegedly, owes a huge national debt?

I don't really know about the golden age references, but I do think that the same story could be told without them. Is it some sort of editorial mandate to have all the books somehow linked to the golden age? My thoughts are similar with yours, Tempest. There's something I don't like about it, but I'm leaning towards 'awesome' for now.

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Final Crisis: Requiem = Image
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Tomasi is a quality writer. I wish he gets more books to write, maybe stuff like JLA or something (because the last couple of issues has been majorly disappointing).

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

He's writing Green Lantern Corps now, I think.

I've only read his Prime vs. Ion tussle from the Sinestro Corps War in that series and I thought it was pretty good.

Can't wait until Ring Quest is collected.

And speaking of GLC, Patrick Gleason is a fantastic artist.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Is it wrong that I'm only browsing Marvel comics now just so I can go on the back page and read Mini Marvels?
ImageImage
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Don't blame you. Mini Marvels are pretty damned funny. Go to the guy's website and read his free stuff. They're pretty good.

darkdarkasian
imanewbie

Post by darkdarkasian »

is final crises new reader friendly?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

darkdarkasian wrote:is final crises new reader friendly?
Not at all.

In fact, to fully enjoy most DC books, you need to know a lot of DC Universe history and lore.

That's pretty much DC's only weak point as far as I'm concerned.

It's totally worth it once you get into it though.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

DC Universe #0 was supposed to be a jumping point for new readers, but it really wasn't.

That said, Final Crisis does not require a phD in DC lore, but there are a lot of golden age and other references that people won't get unless they're acquainted with the characters or if they've heard of it. But there's always wikipedia, I guess, if you're wondering 'what the hell is that/who is that character'.

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Invincible is fucking great.

You guys should check it out.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Flash: Rebirth.

Fucking awesome.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Man too many DC fans here :P

Myself i have become a Hulk fan for real after Pak's great writing in Planet Hulk,WWH,Incredible Hercules,Son of Hulk etc

Shame Loeb and McCartooney are wasting the new Hulk series.....
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:Flash: Rebirth.

Fucking awesome.
I actually don't care for this. What's with all the Flashes in the one place? I can accept multiple Green Lanterns each protecting a sector of the universe, but I feel that having three Flashes is a bit too much. If one of them were to change their name, however...

Is it strange that they get Geoff Johns to write all the retcons?
Libaax wrote:Man too many DC fans here :P

Myself i have become a Hulk fan for real after Pak's great writing in Planet Hulk,WWH,Incredible Hercules,Son of Hulk etc

I'm a Pak fan too. I think he's the Geoff Johns of the Marvel Universe, because the way they write dialogue, to me, is similar.

Loeb's Hulk is bad, I'll admit. Loeb has never been a fan of continuity, so he's really does not pay attention to the previous writer or issues and just write his own stuff (eg. Hulk, Ultimates). Which is bad, considering how awesome the previous writer made the series and brought it to the peak of popularity, and having Loeb trash that all in one issue. I also don't mind McGuiness and Mad. I grew up reading Mad's stuff on X-Men, and McGuiness' Deadpool is pretty damned awesome.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Eldo wrote:
Femto wrote:Flash: Rebirth.

Fucking awesome.
I actually don't care for this. What's with all the Flashes in the one place? I can accept multiple Green Lanterns each protecting a sector of the universe, but I feel that having three Flashes is a bit too much. If one of them were to change their name, however...

Is it strange that they get Geoff Johns to write all the retcons?
Libaax wrote:Man too many DC fans here :P

I'm a Pak fan too. I think he's the Geoff Johns of the Marvel Universe, because the way they write dialogue, to me, is similar.

Loeb's Hulk is bad, I'll admit. Loeb has never been a fan of continuity, so he's really does not pay attention to the previous writer or issues and just write his own stuff (eg. Hulk, Ultimates). Which is bad, considering how awesome the previous writer made the series and brought it to the peak of popularity, and having Loeb trash that all in one issue. I also don't mind McGuiness and Mad. I grew up reading Mad's stuff on X-Men, and McGuiness' Deadpool is pretty damned awesome.
McGuiness DP was good because DP is cartooney like and the art style fit like a glove. But his cartoony hulk is too much for me.

I want the hardcore Hulk of Frank,Romita jr,Sandoval etc

Do you read Herc ? Its bloody awesome. One of my favorite reads currently in superhero. They way Pak writes Herc and Cho are great. The retelling of Herc mythical history is so fun. Even the current SI event tie in story isnt bad despite i found the event itself so lame.

The Skrulls was awesome in Annihilation but the premise of SI is too stupid. Im waiting for Annihilation Conquest TPB vol 2 before i can enjoy my two trades and the event.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

WWH= fucking hilarious

"hulku" not a killer? wtf? i want to see WAR HULK! either i digged the little bit with Frank Castle and the "venom" suit.

im waiting for all of DC to end their runs. I cant stand waiting for a next issue, the wait kills me!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:Is it strange that they get Geoff Johns to write all the retcons?
What's being retconned here?

If it's half as good and does to the Flash universe half as much good as Green Lantern: Rebirth did to the GL universe, it'll be awesome.

The more Flashes, the better.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:What's being retconned here?
Barry's resurrection when he died back in the original Crisis. Much like Hal Jordan return was written by Geoff Johns, now Barry Allen's return is as well. You could argue that it's Grant Morrison that's bringing him back in Final Crisis, but as Geoff Johns is writing Rebirth, I'll have to say he's handling the finer details of it.

GL works because as I've said before, they have different bases of operation (the entire universe), so they are not too clustered together and are scattered throughout the universe. With Flash, they're all based on Earth. I feel like there are too many Flashes in one place. Having three heroes with the same superpower is a bit lazy. Imagine if there are Superman 1, 2, and 3 operating on Earth and being heroes (yes, I'm aware of Power Girl and Supergirl, but I'm specifically saying Superman, and yes, I'm aware of Kingdom Come Superman, but he seems self contained in JSA). Wouldn't that be boring? And why the hell would there be crime on Earth?

As for WWH and Hulk, the moment that Hulk becomes a killer is the moment that readers stop reading. Hulk is still a 'hero'. It works in the Ultimate Universe because he's not set on the regular universe and does not have decades of continuity behind him.

I'm not liking Loeb as well. At least Herc is great. I hated Herc way back then when he was shaved, but now I love him. He was a Thor ripoff then, and now he's bloody awesome.