Berserk 296

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Deathbringer
n00b eater

Berserk 296

Post by Deathbringer »

Here´s the preview.

I don´t know moonspeak so i have no clue what the title is. I´ll leave that to the good staff of Evil Genius.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Re: Berserk 296

Post by lon3vvolf »

Wow. Very very very interesting. Looks like its going to be a while before things with this guy get settled.

Can't wait for the release!
The King
imanewbie

Post by The King »

wow nice cant wait
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

That's some hot shit man.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
zXen
imanewbie

Post by zXen »

That picture looks awesome. Looks like this is going to be an insane battle.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The title is "Thundering Skies" or something, though the "sky" can also be read as "deva", a divine buddhist being. The dual meaning is most likely intentional.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Lucifer
imanewbie

Post by Lucifer »

spoiler pics

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

*looks at the spoiler* Yes plz. :D
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

See spoiler:

Images really give a sense at the scale and size of the emperor. I have no idea how one would go about taking it on, outside of a nuke.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

IMO the emperor is huge, but without the definitive human element to it that Berserk normally has in reaction to such an event, I can't help but feel unattached to what is going on. He's just too big. But it sure is a good build up.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:IMO the emperor is huge, but without the definitive human element to it that Berserk normally has in reaction to such an event, I can't help but feel unattached to what is going on. He's just too big. But it sure is a good build up.
There is a part of me that agrees with you. In fact, I would think that as a fan of Berserk, there should be some degree of reservation toward this recent course of events. Although there are some people that would claim Miura had "jumped the shark" (apologize for using such a trite analogy) long ago regarding Berserk (though I'm not one of them), I don't see how Miura hasn't just about crossed that point of no return as far as what's about to unfold. But there is still a part of me that wants to give Miura the benefit of the doubt, and eagerly waiting to see where Miura plans on going with this scenario that is planned.

On a side note, its interesting how what had attracted me to Berserk in the beginning, which was all about over-the-top action and violence........in time has given way to those points in the story that are way more subtle in nature (far removed from the decapitation and gang rape). For example, I find myself constantly caught up in identifying symbolism that I constantly stumble onto while reading the story (whether imagined or intentional.

But what I have always found most intriquing about Berserk, is the depth in which Miura provides to his characters. Where the reader "isn't told who they are supposed to be", but readers are allowed to come to know who these characters are for themselves over course of the story.....Where IMO this allows the reader to develop there own personal relationship with certain characters, having readers more in tune with identifying with certain character's emotions. Thus providing a rationale basis and level of believability for why each character acts the way they do.

......All of which may help explain why I am so much more drawn into those chapters with Guts and crew on the boat, despite being a relatively mundane setting, when compared to those recent chapters featuring Griffith and co. even with all the battles and bravado these chapter provide.
Chronicle
imanewbie

Post by Chronicle »

Yeah, the emperor sure is big as hell, and i find it hard to believe that they'll be able to kill him with thier army... maybe Griffith will have to use his Apostle form or whatever you now might call it, that would be awsome :P
Triko
imanewbie

Post by Triko »

The Emperor's size is also troubling to me...

Odds are, that Griffith and the Apostles will take down the Emperor, but in order to do so, what kind of god-like power would Griffith have to unleash? Is Mr Miura making the Emperor and Griffith too powerful in relation to this Manga's very own main character, Gutts? Gutts, when healthy and donning the Berserker Armor with Schierke keeping his powers in control, is already much more powerful than many of the Apostles (I can't see Zodd standing a chance against a healthy berserker Gutts now). However, Gutts is a flea compared to an Emperor that's standing a 100 stories tall!!!

My guess is that the Emperor will be killed by Griffith, but many Apostles would fall in the battle, and Griffith's power would weaken to a more manageable level that Gutts can handle without having to go into the Abyss himself to obtain the godlike powers needed to fight Griffth.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I don't feel disconnected to what's going on at all. Ganishka is freaking huge, and I think it's awesome. I think Griffith is still going to pwn his ass, but I can't wait to see how they do it. You think the emperor is scary, but wait until we see what the lord of the God Hand can do. Ganishka needs all the power he can get, but I bet he's still going to lose. Griffith is not only a God Hand, but he's also a brilliant tactician. I can't wait to see a battle of this scale done by Miura.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Triko wrote:The Emperor's size is also troubling to me...

Odds are, that Griffith and the Apostles will take down the Emperor, but in order to do so, what kind of god-like power would Griffith have to unleash? Is Mr Miura making the Emperor and Griffith too powerful in relation to this Manga's very own main character, Gutts? Gutts, when healthy and donning the Berserker Armor with Schierke keeping his powers in control, is already much more powerful than many of the Apostles (I can't see Zodd standing a chance against a healthy berserker Gutts now). However, Gutts is a flea compared to an Emperor that's standing a 100 stories tall!!!

My guess is that the Emperor will be killed by Griffith, but many Apostles would fall in the battle, and Griffith's power would weaken to a more manageable level that Gutts can handle without having to go into the Abyss himself to obtain the godlike powers needed to fight Griffth.
I think you're overestimating Guts, or perhaps underestimating Zodd. Based on the Hill of Swords episode, I'd put a Guts who can fully utilize the power of the Berserk armor as roughly on par with a transformed Zodd. In regards to Guts killing Griffith, it might not be the problem you seem to be thinking. Yes, it would seem to be impossible for Guts to kill the Emperor now. Sheer scale would seem to prevent him from inflicting any significant damage. However, even if Griffith is powerful enough to destroy the Emperor, that doesn't necessarily mean that Guts can't kill Griffith (especially given that he has a sword which can cut a God's Hand). This isn't Dragon Ball. One of the things I love about Berserk is the amazing level of realism. And that means that the "stronger" person doesn't always win the fight. A single mistake can end it. It would have to be done well (this is Miura so I don't foresee a problem there), but I could see Guts defeating Griffith.

As for the many Apostles dying and Griffith being weakened idea...its possible, but I doubt it. First, Griffith is an amazing tactician, and the dream shows that he predicted this event. I doubt he'd be so sloppy as to have something like that happen. Second, from a story perspective it would feel way too cheap. Griffith shows off these amazing powers (and an incredible army) but then they convienently go away so that the main character can come in and kill him? I just don't see Miura as that kind of cop-out, and I'd be disapointed if he did. That's my take on the matter, anyway.
Hugh
imanewbie

Post by Hugh »

Hey guys here's a link to the RAW for chapter 296 : http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=2K6FKEUS
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Chronicle wrote:Yeah, the emperor sure is big as hell, and i find it hard to believe that they'll be able to kill him with thier army... maybe Griffith will have to use his Apostle form or whatever you now might call it, that would be awsome :P
You mean as Femto?.....Don't know if that's still possible. But would be pretty cool.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Hugh, go away, you aren't wanted here.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Hugh
imanewbie

Post by Hugh »

The Herald wrote:Hugh, go away, you aren't wanted here.
Hey sorry, as you can see I'm new to this so I thought some of you would like to know the RAW was out. Simple mistake, I'll remove it if it offends some people or against forum regulations.

As far as the preview goes, the Emperor is big, but I keep thinking the Griffith planned for this, why else would he let him live, so I am waiting to see how he will possibly turn this to his advantage.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

The clairvoyant girl (forgot her name) says that the logic of the world is ending, and I'd like to see this battle fulfill that prophecy.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I wonder if guts could take his big ass out? Probably not how he is now, but I guess he could take out the feet or so.
Triko
imanewbie

Post by Triko »

I think you're overestimating Guts, or perhaps underestimating Zodd. Based on the Hill of Swords episode, I'd put a Guts who can fully utilize the power of the Berserk armor as roughly on par with a transformed Zodd. In regards to Guts killing Griffith, it might not be the problem you seem to be thinking. Yes, it would seem to be impossible for Guts to kill the Emperor now. Sheer scale would seem to prevent him from inflicting any significant damage. However, even if Griffith is powerful enough to destroy the Emperor, that doesn't necessarily mean that Guts can't kill Griffith (especially given that he has a sword which can cut a God's Hand). This isn't Dragon Ball. One of the things I love about Berserk is the amazing level of realism. And that means that the "stronger" person doesn't always win the fight. A single mistake can end it. It would have to be done well (this is Miura so I don't foresee a problem there), but I could see Guts defeating Griffith.

As for the many Apostles dying and Griffith being weakened idea...its possible, but I doubt it. First, Griffith is an amazing tactician, and the dream shows that he predicted this event. I doubt he'd be so sloppy as to have something like that happen. Second, from a story perspective it would feel way too cheap. Griffith shows off these amazing powers (and an incredible army) but then they convienently go away so that the main character can come in and kill him? I just don't see Miura as that kind of cop-out, and I'd be disapointed if he did. That's my take on the matter, anyway.
Points taken, still, I say either Griffith would have to be weakened or Gutts will have to be powered up immensely for their inevitable fight. Even though we don't know Griffith's true strength yet, we already know he can move inhumanly fast (or be able to Warp, or whatever), Gutt's wouldn't be able to get off a swing of his sword if they were to fight now. My guess is that Gutts' power will be upgraded by the Hanafubuku King, and eventually he'll follow the path of the Skullknight when the limit of his humanity is peaked, and is no longer adequate.

Another possibility (just thought of it), Schierke can somehow weaken Griffith enough for Gutts to fight him; Griffith did fear Witches enough to send a small army of his most powerful apostles to eliminate Schierke's mentor.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Triko wrote:

Points taken, still, I say either Griffith would have to be weakened or Gutts will have to be powered up immensely for their inevitable fight. Even though we don't know Griffith's true strength yet, we already know he can move inhumanly fast (or be able to Warp, or whatever), Gutt's wouldn't be able to get off a swing of his sword if they were to fight now. My guess is that Gutts' power will be upgraded by the Hanafubuku King, and eventually he'll follow the path of the Skullknight when the limit of his humanity is peaked, and is no longer adequate.

Another possibility (just thought of it), Schierke can somehow weaken Griffith enough for Gutts to fight him; Griffith did fear Witches enough to send a small army of his most powerful apostles to eliminate Schierke's mentor.
I really hope none of that happens.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

fujinsan wrote:I wonder if guts could take his big ass out? Probably not how he is now, but I guess he could take out the feet or so.
I agree with you man. That guy/thing is huge. Kinda reminds me of PowerRangers when the bad guys transformed into giant versions... not that I watched that show... :wink:
Gats is tiny compared to that, but then again he took out that crystal dragon guy and other monsters bigger than himself. I'm betting on some kind of magical aid(Shirekie sp?) alongside with some help from Zodd maybe?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

fujinsan wrote:I wonder if guts could take his big ass out? Probably not how he is now, but I guess he could take out the feet or so.
I doubt he could even take out the feet, although maybe with Schierke's help (even then it's dubious). It's a simple matter of scale, it would be like someone two inches tall trying to take you out with a pin. Yeah, if they said person what he (or she) was doing it might be possible to cause you some pain, but not to do any true, major damage. Such a person is simply not big enough to cause lasting harm before being stepped on.