Berserk Cosplay

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Re: Berserk Cosplay

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Well Silat isn't much of a friend with the Emperor himself and always had the impression that he was a nobleman himself.
But it's like they say, war make strange bedfellows or so i was taught...
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

oh yeah, i know Di who cosplayed Judeu. she was at AX and we planned on doing a photoshoot together but we ran into some problems and so no go. but she is very nice and cute in person. i also met 2 or 3 gutss there. i had a shoot with 1 and the other one left too soon, (didnt seem too into the berserk, more of the attention he got) and another i saw as i was running off to dinner one day and i couldnt say hello. there was another caska who ran up to me while in Anthy(utena) cosplay and told me she had a caska too and wanted to hang out. i gave her my number and i dont quite remember but basically she lost it and didnt come to meet me. although she had naturally tan skin and i saw a picture of her later that she sent me. she was very nice. berserk cosplayers are fun, no matter how crappy the costume. because they put in X-hours of time to be a chracter from it at AN ANIME CONEVENTION. conclusion:you meet so many fucking people at AX
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Although i bit cliché, it would be fun to see Silat joining Guts...
I can't really see it. Because what Silat really wants is what's good for his entire clan, not just himself personally. Gutts simply lacks the resources to support/care for an entire clan the way the Emperor could. That's why I can see Silat joining Griffith, but not Guts. Which is too bad, he is kind of cool.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

He might be a companion of Guts in an 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' kind of way. Though, once Casca's regained her mental composure I can see Silat being warm to her. I was thinking Silat would be a pretty cool costume to make, other than his chest is exposed. Though, I bet anyone looking at him would guess he was from Prince of Persia or something.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

What Itsvan said makes sense, but I don't think thats the reason Silat will join Griffith.

La'Kushas (the dark formless guy that wears a mask) showed Silat all the atrocities the emperor was committing to shake the very foundations of Silat loyalty towards the emperor. Its obvious that Silat thinks of Griffith as someone with supernatural powers, and, knowing that the emperor is evil, he will probably think that the enemy of such an evil creature must be the good guy. Therefore, he will consider Griffith the supernatural power opposing the supernatural evil power, and he will join him.
Once the Emperor is finally defeated Silat will swear allegiance to Griffith, who will put him in charge of the remaining kushans.

About Cosplays.......down here in Chile we don't have any anime conventions (at least i don't know of any), so there is little chance i will ever see someone cosplaying here.

Besides.....me, wearing a disguise in front of people i dont even know......there is no way in hell thats gonna happen.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
Although i bit cliché, it would be fun to see Silat joining Guts...
I can't really see it. Because what Silat really wants is what's good for his entire clan, not just himself personally. Gutts simply lacks the resources to support/care for an entire clan the way the Emperor could. That's why I can see Silat joining Griffith, but not Guts. Which is too bad, he is kind of cool.
- Seeing Silat team up with Guts seems not so far-fetched to me. They both have a long going history with one another, and both have shared similar interests in regards to pursuing Griffith.

As things currently stand Griffith and Silat have completely separate interests, not to mention are on opposing sides of the war.

Miura has definitely featured Silat's character in a way to suggest him playing a more prominent role in the future. Lately he has been shown in a relatively positive light with a noble cause. That's why I can't see him teaming up with Griffith against Guts. For Miura to invest so much in Silat's character, for Silat to suddenly join the ranks of the apostle army, his character would be rendered insignificant amongst the ranks of Griffith's hoard.

- We all know that Silat thinks the emperor to be insane, but nothing suggests he would be warming up to Griffith. If Silat does decide to turn on the emperor, it will be d/t his distain for the emperor, rather than an allegiance with Griffith. Remember Griffith's band currently flies under the banner of the Vatican, representing a doctrine (I would assume) Silat and his clan would directly oppose. Also, it is clear that things will soon come to a head btw the Midland Army and the Kushan Army, in other words the Emperor's reign is about to end. Thus leaving Griffith as Silat's biggest adversary and threat to his clan, as opposed to Guts who serves as no direct threat to him at all.

ANYWAY: Though this is conjecture at this point....I believe when Griffith's underlying motives are revealed upon gaining back Midland from the Kushans, Griffith will be the last person I'd trust my clan's (or anyones) survival to.

Rolos wrote:What Itsvan said makes sense, but I don't think thats the reason Silat will join Griffith.

La'Kushas (the dark formless guy that wears a mask) showed Silat all the atrocities the emperor was committing to shake the very foundations of Silat loyalty towards the emperor. Its obvious that Silat thinks of Griffith as someone with supernatural powers, and, knowing that the emperor is evil, he will probably think that the enemy of such an evil creature must be the good guy. Therefore, he will consider Griffith the supernatural power opposing the supernatural evil power, and he will join him.
Once the Emperor is finally defeated Silat will swear allegiance to Griffith, who will put him in charge of the remaining kushans.
- I definitely don't rule out the possibility of Silat turning on the emperor. The last few chapters indicate that Silat is troubled by the emperor's machinations, not to mention the fact that it appears he and his clan have been discriminated against among their Kushan peers, so in that sense I can see Silat siding with Griffith as far as his own personal vandetta against the emperor.

As far as swearing allegiance to Griffith for the long run, I just don't see it playing out that way for a variety of reasons that I mentioned in my previous response.

- Maybe IF we were to assume Griffith goes on to become a benevolent Emperor after liberating Midland and its surrounding territories from the Kushans and marrying Charlotte, then perhaps I could see someone like Silat considering allegiance with Griffith to ensure the survival of his clan. But at the same time what would Griffith have to gain by taking Silat and his crew in at that point, other than being a nice guy?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

- Seeing Silat team up with Guts seems not so far-fetched to me. They both have a long going history with one another, and both have shared similar interests in regards to pursuing Griffith.

As things currently stand Griffith and Silat have completely separate interests, not to mention are on opposing sides of the war.
Granted. I don't dispute that on a personal level, it would make more sense for Silat to team up with Guts than with Griffith. I just think that unlikely because on the coldly practical level, Guts can't really do anything (or not much) for Silat's clan, and Griffith can. So if he came to dislike the Emperor (and his policies) more than he does Griffith, switching sides might make sense.
- We all know that Silat thinks the emperor to be insane, but nothing suggests he would be warming up to Griffith. If Silat does decide to turn on the emperor, it will be d/t his distain for the emperor, rather than an allegiance with Griffith.
See above.
Remember Griffith's band currently flies under the banner of the Vatican, representing a doctrine (I would assume) Silat and his clan would directly oppose.
Why? The rescue Griffith ark proved that his clan were willing to work for the Midland king, so they don't seem terribly opposed to the doctrine of the Vatican nations. It was only after the king turned on them (for harming Charlotte) that they (presumably) went to the Kushans.
Also, it is clear that things will soon come to a head btw the Midland Army and the Kushan Army, in other words the Emperor's reign is about to end. Thus leaving Griffith as Silat's biggest adversary and threat to his clan, as opposed to Guts who serves as no direct threat to him at all.
But Guts also offers no true benefite to the clan. Sure, he's an amazing warrior, but they have plenty of good fighters. That's not what they lack. What they need is support, and a country to base themselves in/be a part of. Somewhere to call home, and be safe (especially for the presumed non-combatants, such as the children). Guts can't offer any of that...but Griffith can. And Griffith would only be an adversary/threat (as far as they know) if they're his enemies; if they allied with him he would instead be their bigest support.
Griffith will be the last person I'd trust my clan's (or anyones) survival to.
Absolutely. But you're speaking from the perspective of the reader, who has a lot of additional information. The question we have to ask is does Silat possess enough information to know that trusting Griffith would probably be a really, really bad idea?
But at the same time what would Griffith have to gain by taking Silat and his crew in at that point, other than being a nice guy?
Plenty. They'd be an asset to him. Not as much of one as the Apostles, of course not. But from what we've seen most of Griffith's army (in terms of simple numbers, not effectiveness) aren't Apostles. They aren't critical or even of major importance to him, but they could be useful enough to be worth supporting (at least for a while). Griffith isn't foolish enough to turn away any asset, no matter how minor, if it could be of aid to him. I think a clan of assassins could qualify as of at least some use.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

Istvan wrote:Plenty. They'd be an asset to him. Not as much of one as the Apostles, of course not. But from what we've seen most of Griffith's army (in terms of simple numbers, not effectiveness) aren't Apostles. They aren't critical or even of major importance to him, but they could be useful enough to be worth supporting (at least for a while). Griffith isn't foolish enough to turn away any asset, no matter how minor, if it could be of aid to him. I think a clan of assassins could qualify as of at least some use.
Another thing to note is that it seems like most of Griffith's Apostles' strength lies in straight up battlefield combat. Silat's crew could be very useful to him in stealth and scouting roles for which his heavy hitters wouldn't necessarily be best suited.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Istvan wrote:Plenty. They'd be an asset to him. Not as much of one as the Apostles, of course not. But from what we've seen most of Griffith's army (in terms of simple numbers, not effectiveness) aren't Apostles. They aren't critical or even of major importance to him, but they could be useful enough to be worth supporting (at least for a while). [...]
They maybe worth sacrificing at least. With the darkness coming over the Midland capital I sense another eclipse...
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

An eclipse for a Godhand member or for another apostle? Ever since I saw that Guts had been holding onto a behelit I thought that maybe he would take the tragic hero route and turn into the things he hated most. But then the Skull Knight took it away and well, problem solved. But there's still the animal part of Guts that has to be controlled, and right now it's eating away at him. The Elf King may be able to help with that, but there's no telling what could happen.

In another case, Silat is a good character because he is a third party. He is neither on the main protagonist nor antagonist's side and has fought both of them separately. Chances are that he will join up with Guts briefly, and may be drawn in like others have and stay with him, but only if his body guards are killed. Silat may be smart enough to figure out that Griffith is a ruling force behind the demons, but right now chances are that he may join him if he offered amnesty within Midland. Though, once Guts kills Griffith there's no knowing what could happen for folk like the Bakiraka. Chances are that Roderick will stay on and may grant all of Guts' companions amnesty within Eath, though yet again once they are back on land there's no knowing what's going to happen with him.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:An eclipse for a Godhand member or for another apostle? Ever since I saw that Guts had been holding onto a behelit I thought that maybe he would take the tragic hero route and turn into the things he hated most. But then the Skull Knight took it away and well, problem solved. But there's still the animal part of Guts that has to be controlled, and right now it's eating away at him. The Elf King may be able to help with that, but there's no telling what could happen.
I'm foreseeing a situation comparable to what happened 1000 years prior with the destruction of Gaeseric's kingdom.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

-you never sawy more than a hand of caska's father, so her mother (i think) is most probably dark skinned, and maybe just has a lot of melinin. either way, we'll never know.

-Silat would be great to see as a cosplay, but ia gree that everyone would think him from prince of persia or something.

-I dont see Silat joing up with Guts,(for the same practical reasons mentioned) but then again, not all of us saw the Zodd and Guts team coming up wat before either. I do very much like Silat's character and look forward to more of his development.

someone cosplay him!!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:Though, once Guts kills Griffith there's no knowing what could happen for folk like the Bakiraka.
I think when Guts kills Griffith the story of Berserk will be over, and Guts will die in the process of fulfilling his long thought revenge. Or he could live happily ever after with Caska... but then it wouldn't be Berserk. :D
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Since Berserk is an en medias res type of story, do you think that it's all about Guts' fight with Griffith? Otherwise, he had a life of surviving before Griffith ever came along, and then he ended up changing everything. After Griffith though, even though Guts was emotionally changed, his life went back to the wandering and surviving lifestyle he had been living since he was like eleven. Berserk is all about Guts, and it technically shouldn't end until he dies, which hopefully happens after Griffith dies. Though, it would be good writing if Guts died and Griffith just went back to being a Godhand. But, I personally would rather see a huge epic ending where Guts and the SK and others team up against the Godhand and defeat them all the way.

And now for cosplay, since this is a cosplay thread, I did think of Silat, but his chest is open. Do you think there is a way I could use fabric there and still have a good costume? Like figure skater chicks use?
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

sure, just go to the fabric store. they have plenty of that kind of thing. there are also many ways to color your skin if you wanted.
also, you could just edit the costume a bit. that is always up to the cosplayer. sometimes things are impossible and you must, other times its a bitch to do other wise or it just looks bad. either way, good luck!
marpo
imanewbie

Post by marpo »

my berserk girl wearing the necklace i got for her birthday in a caska ish type outfit

Last edited by marpo on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Hehe, Silat has eye makeup ... and it looks like i'm going to have to wax my eyebrows. How would you suggest I darken my skin? I have freckly/ white irish skin.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

The Herald wrote:Hehe, Silat has eye makeup ... and it looks like i'm going to have to wax my eyebrows. How would you suggest I darken my skin? I have freckly/ white irish skin.
Use that nasty tan/glow shit that's all the rage with teeny-bop japanese girls these days.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

The Prince wrote:
The Herald wrote:Hehe, Silat has eye makeup ... and it looks like i'm going to have to wax my eyebrows. How would you suggest I darken my skin? I have freckly/ white irish skin.
Use that nasty tan/glow shit that's all the rage with teeny-bop japanese girls these days.
Although that will look really freaky.
Don't you got any store that deals with skin coloring products (more like circus make-up or simple cinema make-up)?
As for eyebrows, doesn't Silat has them? i think they are a bit thin, but you can always compromise a bit without having to wax them partially or completely.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Here, this should do the trick. Use this special ointment I have concocted for you.

*Starnum hands you a strange vial of some kind of putrescent bile.*

Don't worry, the intense flesh melting burning sensation is how you know it's working. ;)
dialdfordesi

Post by dialdfordesi »

If you do go as Silat, you should try to get some ripped friends to go as the people that accompany him. That would be sweet as hell.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Holy shit, my buddy is in professional wrestling! That would be too awesome! I totally have to pitch this idea to him! Ok, someone flip a coin for me, should I do Silat or Desert Punk?
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

cosworx has the kryolan make up that many people use but the thing is, its online. although the quality is good, you dont know quite what you are getting and how it will react to your skin. but its very popular. you can go super simple and use concealer. there are many types and shades in america, so just go to the make up section of a store (sometimes targets or the like are good for this) and look ever everything and buy whatever you want. i suggest liquid or cream as the consistancy.(there are a few basic types of concealer. powder, cream, liquid, moose) liquid is harder to make it not have streaks, but cream can make your face look pretty dry and stuff...depends on brand and all that. also, if useing concealer, i suggest buying (although i know this sounds girly) a finishing powder.it just tends to make everything even and stuff. you can ask someone who works there about it.

going to a costume shop is good, but sometimes their make up isnt such good quality, only meant to last a few hours at best. but it depends on the shop.

as for the eyeliner. for the love of whatever you put faith it, use liquid eyeliner. its usually easy to wash off and fix and its super clean edges make for a good anime/manga look. because you would be wearing concealer under, i would first outline the general idea in pencil eyeliner, maybe a dark brown shade, then get into it with the super black liquid liner.

whew!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Wow, I feel like doing Silat just because Fuji said all of that. I like the idea of her creams, then they wouldn't stay forever like that tan glow stuff.
Fuji Nagase

Post by Fuji Nagase »

good to know the rant was appriciated! be careful of it smudging on the clothes and depending on how much you sweat and how hot it is out, it could run if you dont get a good finishing powder.

do iiiiit!!