Berserk-themed musical project, would you find it interestin

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

RanShi
imanewbie

Berserk-themed musical project, would you find it interestin

Post by RanShi »

Well, I get this "skill" temporarily when I'm under the influence of Berserk.

The music I compose kinda give me the same feeling I get from different parts of the series.

So one night, I was playing this weird part I made up on my own, and visualized Griffith lying in the prison cell, the evil minions speaking to him; and suddenly that scene where he tries to kill himself but in the end he finds the egg of kings.

Sad, and dark. Acoustic.

So I've written lyrics for it, it's not finished, but would it be interesting to listen to? Just asking.

Kinda feels like a weird way of making music; but if people can make songs and tell the tales of old fantasy characters, hell, the characters from Berserk deserve that aswell.

If people think it's a good idea, perhaps I'll get more motivated to finish the lyrics and record the whole thing.

I've written the first verse (the story begins inside of the prison cell), and another verse which I'm gonna put somewhere in the middle, referring to the "stony path made by dead people that leads to the castle" dream or hallucination.

The song is written from Griffiths perspective, he's telling us the story while it's happening.

Suggestions on what I should mention further and your own theories would be appreciated, for example:
- how much did he really know at the time when the minions visited him in the cell?
- the fight against the ugly ass "I-wanna-rape-Caska" apostle, did this later on only reinforce the thought of sacrificing because they had gotten so far or did it confuse him even more and made him value his friends even more?
- did him seeing Guts and Caska like that REALLY start the chain of events just before the Eclipse?
- the dream with caska, with the dog and son as guts and pippin?
- do you really think I should mention his kinda inferiority complex/rivalry/weird love towards Guts?
- should I refer to Guts as the Hawk of Light? They kinda always said the Hawk of Darkness was one of the five angels and that the Hawk of Light was his opposer...

I won't make it obvious that it's about berserk either, just to confuse people, plus, that would be so fanboyish and boring.
"And now Guts, by some alien logic, I own you."
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk-themed musical project, would you find it interestin

Post by The Prince »

Here's a bone.....Good Luck!

A crippled Griffith upon overhearing Guts and Caska's discussion outside the wagon (if only for a fleeting moment) seemed resigned to his fate (something Griffith later resented Gut's for allowing).......A.K.A, living out a peaceful quite existence with Caska in that scene with their dog and kid. Yet it appears the "idea", in the form of an armored Griffith wouldn't allow him to forego his destiny.

In the scene where he confronts the "Idea" it seems that with the last tear shed, Griffith's empathy is turned to apathy and is the true moment he gives himself up to the "Idea". And is the moment he becomes evil, where before in the early moments of the eclipse he seemed confused as anyone else and still beholden to Guts.

IMO the straw that pushes him into sacrificing everyone was his acknowledgement and resentment that Guts was the better man. As well as blaming Guts for putting himself in harms way when he left the Hawks, as without Guts by his side, he was left a broken man......a man without a dream.

Its ironic that when Griffith was caught by the castle guard upon leaving the Pincesse's quarters, we saw him reaching for a sword which he no longer had (briefly forgetting it was lost in his fight with Gut's). IMO the missing sword in fact symbolized Guts, who over the years had become Griffith's "sword", a "sword" no longer at his side.
Last edited by The Prince on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

If I were you, I wouldn't even mention the Griffith = hawk of darkness / Gutts = hawk of light thing, because here the main issue is Griffith despair and final resolution to sacrifice everyone, the prophecy part would be a little out of context.

The Prince interpretation of the sword thing.....simply awesome. Its at the same time deep and simple.

IMHO, the way in which Griffith reached the conclusion that the destruction of his dream was Gutts fault would be awesome to hear about.

I have always thought that Griffith considered his affection towards Gutts as a mistake, because it made him vulnerable, and that was the reason he wanted his heart to be frozen, so he could never be hurt again.
This is how I would put it on a lyric (please try not to laugh too hard, I have feelings :oops: ):

For letting my heart be gotten
My dream was forgotten
So never again
To my feeling I will give free rein
I cared for you
I have shown to you
my lonely true self
And how did you answered...
You LEEEEEEEFT!!!!!
Whoaaaaaaaaooooaaaa!!!

You get the idea.....

I sincerely hope your lyric writing skills are better than mine........for your own sake....
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Rolos wrote:If I were you, I wouldn't even mention the Griffith = hawk of darkness / Gutts = hawk of light thing, because here the main issue is Griffith despair and final resolution to sacrifice everyone, the prophecy part would be a little out of context.

The Prince interpretation of the sword thing.....simply awesome. Its at the same time deep and simple.

IMHO, the way in which Griffith reached the conclusion that the destruction of his dream was Gutts fault would be awesome to hear about.

I have always thought that Griffith considered his affection towards Gutts as a mistake, because it made him vulnerable, and that was the reason he wanted his heart to be frozen, so he could never be hurt again.
This is how I would put it on a lyric (please try not to laugh too hard, I have feelings :oops: ):

For letting my heart be gotten
My dream was forgotten
So never again
To my feeling I will give free rein
I cared for you
I have shown to you
my lonely true self
And how did you answered...
You LEEEEEEEFT!!!!!
Whoaaaaaaaaooooaaaa!!!

You get the idea.....

I sincerely hope your lyric writing skills are better than mine........for your own sake....
Rolos what ya think of this line?

Here to gaze beyond this crimson veil....
Born from death, providence frailed

Griffith as Femto........
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

The Prince:
Awesome. Thanks alot.

Rolos:
Cool, I wasn't gonna go all poetic and shit; I'll try to tell the whole story in a "compact" way, I'll post some of the lyrics later if you're interested =D
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I have always thought that the lyrics are an important part of the song.

I would really love to hear the song and see the lyrics posted !!!
If its not a problem, could you post the lyrics along when you upload the song? That would be simply awesome.....

Pd: thanks for not making fun of my lyrics writing skills...... :thumb:
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

Kinda sucks that I've had 67 views and like 5 comments.

Ye, the lyrics = the core.

Well, I'm only finished with the guitar part, I'm considering some piano, bass and slow drums.

The lyrics are NOT done, I'm still redoing the 2 verses I've written and I'm planning on writing like five or six.

No problem, that was a kinda weird "poem" thingy, gave me the shakespearefeeling in the beginning and the ending was like..Jerry Springer.

Thanks for commenting and supporting the work =D

I'll keep on posting updates in this thread.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

I like idea, especially since you are writing it from Griffith's perspective. He is very complex character and not even Miura dares to dwell too deeply into his head, so beware. Remember, he is the smartest guy in Berserk and one of the smartest characters in mangas. He can read people easily (just remember when he had killed Queen), and had a way to sting where it hurts, which means that his take on events will probably be much more insightful than ,say Guts (who is not stupid either). You can't just write a verse about his feelings or whatever you'll have to show us his insight.

Sorry if I seem too demanding or something, but this thing can really turn out great if done properly :D
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

Yeah man, I kinda agree and I think I get ur point.

Most of the lyrics will be..more like...descriptions..of the situations...Griffith telling us what happens..but not letting us into his head, just his take on it, and then what he decides to do, but he doesn't explain the process going on in his head.

Thanks for the comment =)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

RanShi wrote:Yeah man, I kinda agree and I think I get ur point.

Most of the lyrics will be..more like...descriptions..of the situations...Griffith telling us what happens..but not letting us into his head, just his take on it, and then what he decides to do, but he doesn't explain the process going on in his head.

Probably best since I doubt anyone besides Miura can truly claim to fully know what goes on in Griffith's head.

If done well, this could be really awesom. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
Probably best since I doubt anyone besides Miura can truly claim to fully know what goes on in Griffith's head.
I have to disagree with this statement.

RanShi wrote:Yeah man, I kinda agree and I think I get ur point.

In the scene while in his prison, preceeding his rescue.....I recall Griffith vividly describing the thoughts playing out in his mind, as well as his feelings for Guts.

I actually assumed it was that scene which would have inspired you.

See Chapter 1: Infiltrating Wyndham; Vol.10
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

The Prince wrote:
Istvan wrote:
That's great and all, but can you give a reason as to why you disagree? By all means, be pedantic.

I would like to know how anyone other than Miura can truly claim to fully know what goes on in Griffith's head.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Was this really necessary?

Post by The Prince »

psi29a wrote:
The Prince wrote:
Istvan wrote:
That's great and all, but can you give a reason as to why you disagree? By all means, be pedantic.

I would like to know how anyone other than Miura can truly claim to fully know what goes on in Griffith's head.
Did you care to even read the rest of the post?

Here is a link to save you the trouble. :?
Click here for "Link" to rest of post --> http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... 76#p106876

-If you want to get into semantics, that's fine.

As for what goes on at any particular moment in Griffith's head? = Whatever Miura wants it to be.

Is that the point you're trying to make? I sure hope not.

-Seems pretty "spelled" out.....

Seeing how the OP goes on to specifically mention visualizing Griffith lying broken on the floor of his cell, as a source of his inspiration for what he is proposing, and the fact that throughout the entire Berserk Manga, the one true instance where Miura takes the reader into Griffith's "head".....just so happens to be a scene with Griffith lying broken on the floor of his cell. A scene where the reader is taken through a stream of conscious that is all well too human. A window into the mind, not of a ruthless, charismatic, soon to be God, BUT of a bound and broken man. A man struggling to maintain his sanity by grasping onto the only thing that remained "real" (yet to be stripped away) to him.....blah....blah....blah.....(to be continued)

see Vol.10 Chapter 1:Infiltrating Wyndham (p28-36)

Was that pedantic enough for you Noah?

By all means feel free to correct any vocabulary or spelling gaffes as you see fit. :sleep:
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

The Prince:

I think I expressed myself in an akward way. I'm gonna tell everything from Griffiths perspective, but thats like..only restricted to the things we get to see.

Which means I'm gonna be very careful when it comes to how he feels; but like in the chapter you mentioned, you kinda get a sneak peek into his mind..:
"I thought I had him, but he got control over me blalbalb" something like that.
And then, we have the first real "confession" Griffith makes about Guts making him forget his dreams..

Still it's kinda sick, how he still lies thinking about that when he's trapped in a dungeon and kinda doomed.
psi29a
Godo

Re: Was this really necessary?

Post by psi29a »

@RanShi: I like what you are doing, keep it up. :)

@The Prince:
The Prince wrote:
psi29a wrote:That's great and all, but can you give a reason as to why you disagree? By all means, be pedantic.

Click here for "Link" to rest of post --> http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... 76#p106876

As for what goes on at any particular moment in Griffith's head? = Whatever Miura wants it to be.

By all means feel free to correct any vocabulary or spelling gaffes as you see fit. :sleep:
*flexes fingers* Thanks for playing, but did you read and understand my question or did you assume that I didn't read the rest of your post considering that I only quoted the important part that I wanted answered.

You disagree, that is great but you still haven't expressed why you disagree how you or anyone else would know what is going on inside Griffith's mind.

It is true that we can infer a lot with the information given to us by Miura, but we can't possibly know, without doubt, especially in an unfinished work of fiction. We (you, I, everyone) need to treat Berserk differently than Fundamentalists do the Bible.

Re-read what Istvan said.
Istvan wrote:Probably best since I doubt anyone besides Miura can truly claim to fully know what goes on in Griffith's head.
Now, I ask again... why do you disagree with his statement?

Is there some bit of knowledge that only Miura has imparted to you?

Also, be careful how reply because it is off my dime that this whole place even exists, which makes it trivial to prevent people from enjoying their time here let alone access to Berserk. This isn't a pissing contest, I really want to know. Your reply was dripping with sarcasm, and the use of pedantic was not meant in the negative. I apologize if you took it that way. :)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Also, to The Prince, I think you are perhaps missing the word fully in what I said. Even in that one scene, where we get a direct view into his mind, I wouldn't claim to "fully" know what's going on with Griffith. I can make a lot of (fairly informed) guesses, based on that scene and his actions both before and after it, but one brief glimpse into the mind of someone like Griffith hardly qualifies one to claim full understanding of what's happening in his mind even right then. Thoughts are heavily influenced by previous thoughts, there are many levels of thought (we only got the very top one) and so on. You seem to be missing all of this, which leads me to really doubt you can claim true understanding of someone as complex as Griffith.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

psi29a wrote:@RanShi: I like what you are doing, keep it up. :)

@The Prince:
The Prince wrote:
psi29a wrote:That's great and all, but can you give a reason as to why you disagree? By all means, be pedantic.

*flexes fingers* Thanks for playing, but did you read and understand my question or did you assume that I didn't read the rest of your post considering that I only quoted the important part that I wanted answered.

You disagree, that is great but you still haven't expressed why you disagree how you or anyone else would know what is going on inside Griffith's mind.

It is true that we can infer a lot with the information given to us by Miura, but we can't possibly know, without doubt, especially in an unfinished work of fiction. We (you, I, everyone) need to treat Berserk differently than Fundamentalists do the Bible.

Re-read what Istvan said.
Istvan wrote:Probably best since I doubt anyone besides Miura can truly claim to fully know what goes on in Griffith's head.
Now, I ask again... why do you disagree with his statement?

Is there some bit of knowledge that only Miura has imparted to you?

Also, be careful how reply because it is off my dime that this whole place even exists, which makes it trivial to prevent people from enjoying their time here let alone access to Berserk. This isn't a pissing contest, I really want to know. Your reply was dripping with sarcasm, and the use of pedantic was not meant in the negative. I apologize if you took it that way. :)
Well upon the following account, it appears you're not the one who should be apologizing.

In regards to the rest of your response, let it be known, it has been probably an hour since I have clicked the reply button; the better part which has been spent staring at the screen.

Seeing how you pretty much covered all angles, in having to account for all of this, I feel somewhat condemned into re-formulating my argument in directions that I don't want it to go.

I am at a point where, I'm not even sure where our argument lies anymore. :nosebleed:

Anyway that is where it ends as far as I'm concerned. 8)

No hard feeling from this end.....Enjoy your weekend! Image

Istvan wrote:Also, to The Prince, I think you are perhaps missing the word fully in what I said. Even in that one scene, where we get a direct view into his mind, I wouldn't claim to "fully" know what's going on with Griffith. I can make a lot of (fairly informed) guesses, based on that scene and his actions both before and after it, but one brief glimpse into the mind of someone like Griffith hardly qualifies one to claim full understanding of what's happening in his mind even right then. Thoughts are heavily influenced by previous thoughts, there are many levels of thought (we only got the very top one) and so on. You seem to be missing all of this, which leads me to really doubt you can claim true understanding of someone as complex as Griffith.
First let me apologize for how I may have come off in mischaracterizing your statement.

Admittingly (is that a word?) if it were anyone else, I probably would not even have bothered making it an issue to go out of my way to disagree with your statement. A statement probably the rest of this forum would find irrefutable in both content and context, yet leave it to me to go and refute it. :stupid:
Last edited by The Prince on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

:beer:

Now back to the song making musical project of doom!
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

psi29a wrote::beer:

Now back to the song making musical project of doom!
:PLUS1:

BTW....I did a little re-editing, to account for any possible ambiguity in my response.

Cheers.
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

haha peace and prosperity =D

btw, psi29a, I'm kinda new here and from what I've understood ur a part of the crew here, since you're the one updating the news =P

when the song is finished, if you think it's good enough, could it get somekind of ... front page publicity ;D?

Now to the song.

I've written the 2 first verses and another one that's somewhere in the middle..
The first one is basically him just lying there..pointlessness, darkness, a tortured body.
The second one is from the v.10 part someone told me about; with Gattsu as thunder in Griffiths head.
And the other one is the cobblestone path metaphore-LSD-hallucination-thingy.

I don't wanna copy/paste the lyrics, it'd ruin the surprise, although I'd love it if someone interested in Berserk (of course) and also the english language =P voulenteered to help. I could for example show you the lyrics, share some of the melodies I wanted to use in the song etc. All I need is feedback.

The tower that used to stand where griffith is being held, was is called the tower of retribution or is it just my mind that tells me that?

The castle town...he's playing there right?
Later on he kinda gives up and forgets his dreams even more when he sees Guts and Caska and kinda "dreams" he and Caska are together and blalbala...

And when he sees the behilit and understands how much power he could choose to have, does he change his mind there or do you think his mind was already set and that he was really focused on that from the beginning?

I don't, but I wanna hear some opinions, people.

And for those who wonder..the style. It's kinda sad, melodic and very confusing - I hope that won't make it boring, I guess I'll have to try different things, drums, bass and shit like that. Songwise it's a little..Glenn Danzig if u've heard him. Think "How the Gods Kill" (before it explodes). I'm trying to stay original and not get inspired by others too much, but I'll let the audience decide whether I have succeeded or not when the time comes.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

RanShi wrote:haha peace and prosperity =D

btw, psi29a, I'm kinda new here and from what I've understood ur a part of the crew here, since you're the one updating the news =P.
Well, actually it would be more accurate to say I'm a part of the crew here. Psi29a actually owns the place. Well, in a way we all own the place, it's here for all of us...but he actually pays for it. So everyone be sure to give this man the respect that he deserves. ;)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Later on he kinda gives up and forgets his dreams even more when he sees Guts and Caska and kinda "dreams" he and Caska are together and blalbala...
I don't think he was actually forgetting or casting aside his dream in that instance. To me, it looked like he was imagining the way the future could be, with him in the condition he was in. The fact that he immedietly tried to commit suicide after that imagination indicates to me that he found such a future totally unaceptable. But he didn't really want to commit suicide either (look at the fact that he jerked aside his neck at the last moment), and not because he feared death (or he could never have done all that he'd accomplished), but because he still wanted to achieve his dream. The drive to live and succeed was still as strong as ever for him.
And when he sees the behilit and understands how much power he could choose to have, does he change his mind there or do you think his mind was already set and that he was really focused on that from the beginning?
I don't think he "changed his mind" or anything, it's just that that making the sacrifice was the only way he could continue to persue his dream, and he didn't have it in him to abandon his dream. If you look at what he said to Charlotte after Guts assassinated the King's brother, and also at his comment to Guts on the Hill of Swords, such an action seems completely in character for him. I doubt he'd have made the sacrifice if he hadn't been crippled, because he'd have wanted to achieve his dream himself not by leaning on the powers of the God's Hand, but when such was the only way to reach his dream, he took it.

That's my interpratation anyway, although as I already mentioned, only Miura can claim to truly know what's going on in Griffith's mind.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
That's my interpratation anyway, although as I already mentioned, only Miura can claim to truly know what's going on in Griffith's mind.
-Damn it all, there you go again!

j/k.

-O.P good to hear you're following through on your idea. Seems things are coming along.......BTW sorry about the prior BS.

Looks like we're back on course.
RanShi
imanewbie

Post by RanShi »

Starnum wrote:
RanShi wrote:haha peace and prosperity =D

btw, psi29a, I'm kinda new here and from what I've understood ur a part of the crew here, since you're the one updating the news =P.
Well, actually it would be more accurate to say I'm a part of the crew here. Psi29a actually owns the place. Well, in a way we all own the place, it's here for all of us...but he actually pays for it. So everyone be sure to give this man the respect that he deserves. ;)
Hahahah I'm a little nooblet. Well then, I'm honoured to have the owner and a crewmember here, commenting and helping.
Istvan wrote:
I don't think he was actually forgetting or casting aside his dream in that instance. To me, it looked like he was imagining the way the future could be, with him in the condition he was in. The fact that he immedietly tried to commit suicide after that imagination indicates to me that he found such a future totally unaceptable. But he didn't really want to commit suicide either (look at the fact that he jerked aside his neck at the last moment), and not because he feared death (or he could never have done all that he'd accomplished), but because he still wanted to achieve his dream. The drive to live and succeed was still as strong as ever for him.
I don't think he "changed his mind" or anything, it's just that that making the sacrifice was the only way he could continue to persue his dream, and he didn't have it in him to abandon his dream. If you look at what he said to Charlotte after Guts assassinated the King's brother, and also at his comment to Guts on the Hill of Swords, such an action seems completely in character for him. I doubt he'd have made the sacrifice if he hadn't been crippled, because he'd have wanted to achieve his dream himself not by leaning on the powers of the God's Hand, but when such was the only way to reach his dream, he took it.

Thanks alot. That's just me not paying attention to other ways of seeing it; I just saw it as him giving up, hating Guts but still clinging on to the only thing he had left , Caska. But before in the prison cell, he said Guts is the only thing that matters to him and Caska and the others were just pawns and normal people..so I guess you win there.

And the way you see it really makes it much more understandable!
The Prince wrote:
Istvan wrote:
-Damn it all, there you go again!

j/k.

-O.P good to hear you're following through on your idea. Seems things are coming along.......BTW sorry about the prior BS.

Looks like we're back on course.
Haha, no problem, you're making a big deal out of it =P
The prior bullshit still lead to something, I'm just glad people care and wanna help me get things clear.

Once again, everyone, thanks for posting.

And now, the demon minions appearing in Griffiths cell and Guts saving him..those scenes will be DIFFICULT to write about.

The fact that he helped the party when they were fighting their way out; Pippin smashed the roof open and ballba. indicates that he just wanted to get outta there and didn't really think about suicide as the better option.

His "dream" with Caska where they have a kid...that's just kinky, caska making love to a cripple.

Back to buisness, the real sick thoughts only seem to appear when they're taking care of Griffith after the fight with the apostle, where he tries to grasp his sword, but he can't hold it properly..

That reinforces Istvan's argument.

And a question from my last post, still not answered:
The tower that used to stand where griffith is being held, was is called the tower of retribution or is it just my mind that tells me that?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The fact that he helped the party when they were fighting their way out; Pippin smashed the roof open and ballba. indicates that he just wanted to get outta there and didn't really think about suicide as the better option.

His "dream" with Caska where they have a kid...that's just kinky, caska making love to a cripple.

Back to buisness, the real sick thoughts only seem to appear when they're taking care of Griffith after the fight with the apostle, where he tries to grasp his sword, but he can't hold it properly..

That reinforces Istvan's argument.
Right, I think it was listening to the comments of how he would never heal, and then being helpless when Wyald showed up, that drove home in his mind his inability to achieve his dream. Before that he had some level of hope, but those events made it absolutely clear that he'd never be able to achieve his dream. But he still wanted to, desperately.
And a question from my last post, still not answered:
Sorry, can't help you here. I don't have access to my stored Berserk manga for about a week, so I can't look it up.