Berserk chapter: 290

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk chapter: 290

Post by The Prince »

Rolos wrote:
Istvan wrote:The beast itself mentions that the armor is part of what's allowed it to grow so powerful/developed. Or, another idea, his beast can't actually think/plan/talk, but Guts is worried about his beast, and so he had a nightmare featuring it, in which it could do all of these things. I admit though, I don't much like the second theory, since it would seem somewhat of a copout, and a waste of chapter space if true. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
I think the conflict of interests within Gutts mind, plus a constant influence to spiritual energy (you know, because of his constant permanence on the intersice) finally made his personality split.
I assume most of you have seen (at least on a movie) how a splitted personality generates 2 or more consciousness within one individual, each consciousness acting (and thinking) totally separated from the other, as if it was a complettely diferent being. In Gutts case, the beast represents...you all know what the beast repressents, lets skip that part.
Reminds me of Superman 3 when Richard Pryor gives Superman the Kryptonite laced trophy that makes him go crazy. Then in one of the most epic scenes in movie history, Superman's alter ego Clark Kent separates from SM in a junkyard and they duke it out with one another. Finally when Clark wins the battle they reunite back into Good Superman. Just in time to battle that crazy robot woman at the end in one of the most epic finales in movie history.

IMO Superman 3 was among the best superhero movies of all time, perhaps second only to the epic Superman IV.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Prince wrote:IMO Superman 3 was among the best superhero movies of all time, perhaps second only to the epic Superman IV.
What I always loathed most about Superman was the fact that he was just like "Oh i'ma gonna wipe the grease outta ma hair and put some oldschool glasses on and surely Lois won't think I'm Super-duper-man although she is in love with me and was face-to-face so often with me".

There's only so much suspension of disbelieve I have before it gets rediculous. Batman and Spider-Man were always better in that regard. Especially in Batman Begins when Christian Bale lowered/roughened his voice when in Batman style so people wouldn't recognize his voice.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
The Prince wrote:IMO Superman 3 was among the best superhero movies of all time, perhaps second only to the epic Superman IV.
What I always loathed most about Superman was the fact that he was just like "Oh i'ma gonna wipe the grease outta ma hair and put some oldschool glasses on and surely Lois won't think I'm Super-duper-man although she is in love with me and was face-to-face so often with me".

There's only so much suspension of disbelieve I have before it gets rediculous. Batman and Spider-Man were always better in that regard. Especially in Batman Begins when Christian Bale lowered/roughened his voice when in Batman style so people wouldn't recognize his voice.
Everytime someone suspects Clark Kent as superman, all he has to do is kiss that person and they forget. Also Kent's character is the polar opposite of Superman and is portrayed as such a buffoon and wuss, perhaps this fools people.

BTW....Superman is one of the only (or few) comic book superhero's who's actual disguise is his pedestrian ego, instead of vice versa. Unlike Batman or Spiderman who are actually Bruce Wayne/Peter Parker in disguise, the true form of Superman is Superman not Clark Kent.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Prince wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:

Everytime someone suspects Clark Kent as superman, all he has to do is kiss that person and they forget. Also Kent's character is the polar opposite of Superman and is portrayed as such a buffoon and wuss, perhaps this fools people.

BTW....Superman is one of the only (or few) comic book superhero's who's actual disguise is his pedestrian ego, instead of vice versa. Unlike Batman or Spiderman who are actually Bruce Wayne/Peter Parker in disguise, the true form of Superman is Superman not Clark Kent.
And Batman doesn't need superpowers, he wins. Don't make me do a poll to show you how much Batman rules over Superman. :D
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Turd Ferguson
notanewb

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Istvan wrote:The beast itself mentions that the armor is part of what's allowed it to grow so powerful/developed. Or, another idea, his beast can't actually think/plan/talk, but Guts is worried about his beast, and so he had a nightmare featuring it, in which it could do all of these things. I admit though, I don't much like the second theory, since it would seem somewhat of a copout, and a waste of chapter space if true. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
I agree more with your second theory, and don't believe it is a copout, nor a waste of chapter space. I'm assuming you say that because you feel the Beast's threats carry less weight if it was only a fever-induced dream rather than a fully developed seperate entity. But regardless of whether or not it was just a dream or an autonomous being speaking with Guts, it can still be used by Miura as an effective litterary device for foreshadowing future events.

I also respectfully disagree with Brainpiercing's assertion that the Beast as a seperate entity is creepier and more interesting than if it is merely Guts' rage given symbolic form. While the idea of a foreign consciousness inhabiting one's body, plotting to someday take control is pretty creepy, I would say it is much more interesting and disturbing to think of the Beast and all its evil, dark intent as an inseperable part of who Guts actually is. I think that adds infinately more depth to his character.

I think if the Beast does turn out to be something seperate that can somehow be defeated, exorcised, or otherwise removed from Guts, that is the true copout.
My stream of conciousness flows into a river of blood.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

edit: The new name for the beast was Hell Hound right?
No. It doesn't become a Hell Hound until after Guts dies, since that's where the brand guarentees he's being sent. Then it can be a Hell Hound.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
edit: The new name for the beast was Hell Hound right?
No. It doesn't become a Hell Hound until after Guts dies, since that's where the brand guarentees he's being sent. Then it can be a Hell Hound.
So then all our friends from the Band of the Hawk.... Judeau, Pippen, Gaston, etc....that died in the eclipse were all damned to Hell as well in the process?

That just makes me feel even worse about the whole thing...... :(
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
I agree more with your second theory, and don't believe it is a copout, nor a waste of chapter space. I'm assuming you say that because you feel the Beast's threats carry less weight if it was only a fever-induced dream rather than a fully developed seperate entity. But regardless of whether or not it was just a dream or an autonomous being speaking with Guts, it can still be used by Miura as an effective litterary device for foreshadowing future events.

I also respectfully disagree with Brainpiercing's assertion that the Beast as a seperate entity is creepier and more interesting than if it is merely Guts' rage given symbolic form. While the idea of a foreign consciousness inhabiting one's body, plotting to someday take control is pretty creepy, I would say it is much more interesting and disturbing to think of the Beast and all its evil, dark intent as an inseperable part of who Guts actually is. I think that adds infinately more depth to his character.

I think if the Beast does turn out to be something seperate that can somehow be defeated, exorcised, or otherwise removed from Guts, that is the true copout.
To me, it seems to be a separate entity. Judging by how the God Hand was trying to discourage Guts into continuing his journey (all the way back in volume 1), the Hell Hound might be some entity brought up by Idea. Maybe that's why the God Hand doesn't bother to pursue Guts; they know that Guts will not be able to control his rage and the Hell Hound will eventually take over. In that sense, Guts has already been taken care of.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
jistanidiot
imanewbie

Post by jistanidiot »

The Prince wrote: So then all our friends from the Band of the Hawk.... Judeau, Pippen, Gaston, etc....that died in the eclipse were all damned to Hell as well in the process?
Isn't that the fate of all who become involved with demonkind?
yep it's pretty :censored: awful.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

jistanidiot wrote:
The Prince wrote: So then all our friends from the Band of the Hawk.... Judeau, Pippen, Gaston, etc....that died in the eclipse were all damned to Hell as well in the process?
I assumed this was in reference only to those people who chose to become apostles
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Thanks for the release EG, cant believe I forgot about it :evil: oh well I have it now it was awesome...

I had to DL Corel Painter X trial so I can color some of the panel ahahahahahah :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The Prince wrote:
jistanidiot wrote:
I assumed this was in reference only to those people who chose to become apostles
Nope, you get involved with demons (or apostles) and you go straight to the vortex (hell).

Just remember Vargas........poor little bastard :(
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Prince wrote:
Rolos wrote: I assumed this was in reference only to those people who chose to become apostles
Nope, you get involved with demons (or apostles) and you go straight to the vortex (hell).

Just remember Vargas........poor little bastard :(
Yeah, it was made rather blatently clear, both with the Slugg count, and also from some things Schierke said in the forest that having a brand means that when you die your soul is dragged off to hell. Basically the brand marks you as a sacrifice for, and belonging to, evil.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

The Prince wrote:
BTW....during Guts's first confrontation in the presence of Puck, Puck made an interesting comment in passing, regarding the Skullnight, that probably flew under the radar of most readers. Where he mentioned that there was something about the SK that was Elven in nature.....something he just couldn't put his finger on. In time I'm sure this little observation may foreshadow what may be a revelation sometime down the line.
My thought on that point was that after we met the witch and her elf and her association with SK became known I just assumed that line was meant that things like elves leave a bit of a presence on people/things... Like the way Puck was able to feel that Elves once lived in the misty valley.... he also sensed that SK spent time with or was around Elves at least at some point recently.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Lord Rae wrote:My thought on that point was that after we met the witch and her elf and her association with SK became known I just assumed that line was meant that things like elves leave a bit of a presence on people/things... Like the way Puck was able to feel that Elves once lived in the misty valley.... he also sensed that SK spent time with or was around Elves at least at some point recently.
This is how I took it as well.
azn_l10n
imanewbie

Post by azn_l10n »

Hmmm...
Let's entertain a thought...

1. SK is very powerful...he's more powerful than Zodd which is second only to Griffith in the Neo Band...
2. The previous user of the Berserker armor bled to death...
3. Sk is one of the previous users of the Berserker armor...with it being kept by Flora and the shape of the armor prior to Gatts using it...it may be safe to say that SK is the previous user and "bleed to death"
4. Popular theory exists that SK is Gaiseric and chances are...may also be a branded one (as he knows so much about the brand) and Void may be the one that branded him...
5. SK is quite knowledgable about everything including Hanafubu King...

Could it be that Gaiseric in the berserker armor died...or was on the verge of dying...and was transformed in to what he is...the Skull Knight...by the power of the Hanafubu King???
If that is the case, I wonder what the King could do for Gatts. Perhaps, Gatts would have a white armor upon his return with the healing of his spirit wound (the one across his chest and back).
I always believe that he white hawk refers to Gatts, not Griffith. Because there was a mention of the black hawk as well and I don't think Gatts it the black hawk. It is too convenient.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I agree with your points, and I think it's an interesting theory. I don't know if the Elf King will enchant the Berserker Armor, but that would be interesting if he helped make the Skull Knight.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

azn_l10n wrote:Hmmm...

1. SK is very powerful...he's more powerful than Zodd which is second only to Griffith in the Neo Band...
3. Sk is one of the previous users of the Berserker armor...with it being kept by Flora and the shape of the armor prior to Gatts using it...it may be safe to say that SK is the previous user and "bleed to death"
4. Popular theory exists that SK is Gaiseric and chances are...may also be a branded one (as he knows so much about the brand) and Void may be the one that branded him...

Could it be that Gaiseric in the berserker armor died...or was on the verge of dying...and was transformed in to what he is...the Skull Knight...by the power of the Hanafubu King???
If that is the case, I wonder what the King could do for Gatts. Perhaps, Gatts would have a white armor upon his return with the healing of his spirit wound (the one across his chest and back).
I always believe that he white hawk refers to Gatts, not Griffith. Because there was a mention of the black hawk as well and I don't think Gatts it the black hawk. It is too convenient.

Very interesting.....I like it.

How ironic........the BlackSwordsmen is in fact the White Hawk. While the white-haired, effeminate guy in white-armor, with a hawk helmet in turn is the BlackHawk. Actually didn't Schierke already confirm Griffith was in fact the Black Hawk. In addition to the fact that those gathering around Albion during his rebirth were referred to as the blinded-sheep?

I always wondered about the whole yin/yang concept regarding the legend of the White/Black Hawk would play out? Was one a pagan legend, and the other a Christian one.....or part of the same prophecy?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The Prince wrote:
azn_l10n wrote:Hmmm...

Very interesting.....I like it.

How ironic........the BlackSwordsmen is in fact the White Hawk. While the white-haired, effeminate guy in white-armor, with a hawk helmet in turn is the BlackHawk. Actually didn't Schierke already confirm Griffith was in fact the Black Hawk. In addition to the fact that those gathering around Albion during his rebirth were referred to as the blinded-sheep?

I always wondered about the whole yin/yang concept regarding the legend of the White/Black Hawk would play out? Was one a pagan legend, and the other a Christian one.....or part of the same prophecy?
I always thought that the white/black hawk theory was a part of the book of the Apocalypse (at least in the berserk version of the book)
~Diogenes of Sinope
Azrael
notanewb

Post by Azrael »

The Prince wrote:BTW....Superman is one of the only (or few) comic book superhero's who's actual disguise is his pedestrian ego, instead of vice versa. Unlike Batman or Spiderman who are actually Bruce Wayne/Peter Parker in disguise, the true form of Superman is Superman not Clark Kent.
Actually, one of the popular Batman storylines/themes, is that Batman must learn to discover who he really is; is he the dark knight of Gotham, or the millionaire playboy of Wayne Industries? Which is his disguise, and which is his true identity?

Anyway, great release, EG!
"For you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly."
- From Alan Moore's The Watchmen
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

About the armor and the hell hound...
As far as I recall, Gutts was having dreams/visions of the hell hound way before he put on the armor.

Though in this release while Gutts is dreaming you hear "With such a yoke, don't think you keep me in chains...."
My understanding of this is the hell hound, which I always believed to be Gutts manifestation of hatred and his drive to go kill Griffith. The hell hound, not the armor is letting Gutts know he cannot tame it, perhaps referring to his new crew or Caska.

The next panel it states "The instant you gained that shell, I was already unleashed." This HAS to be referencing the moment he put on the armor, as somewhere it was said that the armor brings out your inner most feelings/desires.

Next panel "That sly witch thinks she has tamed me, but that was only a temporary thing." This is when Gutts was going berserk, pun intended, during that battle and she brought him out of it. Now the armor is not the cause of him going nuts, but it is a catalyst to his actions.

Then it goes on saying his new comrades are the only thing keeping him from being taken over by it, in my opinion anyway.

And unfortunately it goes saying he will suffer their loss once again, like the eclipse, so I'm not getting attached to any of the characters now. Other than Gutts and Caska that is.

So basically the armor and the hound are two separate entities, though I'm sure the armor does not have a being. This brings me to a conclusion that unless Gutts refuses to ware the armor when fighting, he will let go of himself totally, possibly bringing everyones demise including his new company.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

And unfortunately it goes saying he will suffer their loss once again, like the eclipse, so I'm not getting attached to any of the characters now. Other than Gutts and Caska that is.
This might just be the negativity of Guts predicting that if they keep hanging around him for very long, given the life he lives, they're going to die soon, which will (of course) greatly strengthen this portion of his self.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Just downloaded this and a bunch of chapters I needed to catch up on. Thanks a bunch EG as always.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Brainpiercing wrote:Great chapter, thanks EG and Miura-san.

I found the bit with Guts' beast more interesting than the insane ramblings of a disempowered noble. Well. What is disturbing here is that his beast is acting like a seperate entity. I used to think it was just his own rage, materialized, but still his own. Now it seems its even capable of rational thought and planning. That's really a lot more creepy than it used to be.
Multiple personality/dissociative identity disorder? After all, Guts is trying to hide some really deep wounds here, it's not surprising that these feelings could manifest as a separate personality within him.

Thanks for the chapter guys, great work as usual.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

MadDogMike wrote:
Brainpiercing wrote:Great chapter, thanks EG and Miura-san.

I found the bit with Guts' beast more interesting than the insane ramblings of a disempowered noble. Well. What is disturbing here is that his beast is acting like a seperate entity. I used to think it was just his own rage, materialized, but still his own. Now it seems its even capable of rational thought and planning. That's really a lot more creepy than it used to be.
Multiple personality/dissociative identity disorder? After all, Guts is trying to hide some really deep wounds here, it's not surprising that these feelings could manifest as a separate personality within him.

Thanks for the chapter guys, great work as usual.

Thats exactly what I have been saying all along. :D Good to see that someone besides me thinks Gatts has developed multiple personalities.
~Diogenes of Sinope