Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Grahf »

I just started watching Major. I'm impressed on some fronts and not on others. But its great overall.
"Context is for Kings"
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Begun to watch Major, but I cant find any english subs after episode 27.
And whats the deal with 2nd season and 3rd season?
Are all episodes in total 70 or are 2nd and 3rd season not part of the 70?

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

27 - 53 is season 2. and 53 on is season three. IMO I liked season 2 the best I found it somewhat realistic to an extent. I'm just interested on how things will work out with him after highschool.
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Of course season two is the best when he is in middle school, going after Kaido and co.

I just watched ep 70. Its very scary that only a couple of eps are left. They havent said anthing about season 4.

Grafh what did you like and what didnt you like?

I cant complain about the sport part,the game trainings,how much better some players get. You know why? Cause its not like POT where everyone is super geniouses. People like Toshi,Komori worked their way up from sucky kids to top players in their teams. Even Goro has worked hard for his pitching and its like not he is unstoppable like the usuall main character in sport anime/manga.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Well when I made that other post I wasn't up to where I am now. I really can't complain except for the fact that Honda is soooo stubborn. He becomes so focused on whats in front of him that he doesn't listen to reason. Of course the parents and everyone else have just accepted it which is somewhat bush league. But at least you could assume that he rest his arm now. Just when you want more of his family they show the family, just I want more Shizimu and so on. There is a nice blend of everything in there. It would be nice to see Goro learn another pitch (change up) instead of 120 fastballs. But this anime does show how strikeout pitchers from Japan tend to have short selflives. Then again Matsuzaka might prove that wrong hopefully.

Toshi is just a straight beast. It would be nice to see him be a bit less robotic but what the hell. It just makes him that more the ying to Goro's yang.

It would be nice to see Shizimu and Goro given a bit more "screen" time together. But I'm sure that would come back eventually. Though it might not be her but someone (assuming a female) is going to have to slow him down and get ahold of his ear. Though I don't think it could be anyone other than her for many obvious reasons.

Well the place where I watch streamed episodes were saying Jan 08 for season 4. But who knows how true that is.
"Context is for Kings"
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I got so used to Goro stubborness so long ago. His family is too soft on him cause of what happened to his real father.

I also think its one of the thing that makes him interesting. When he set something on his mind you cant stop him. You will see more of that when you have seen him when he is with Kadio and what happens there.

Have you seen Muyumara? The first time He met Goro's team? What happened then has changed Goro's goal forever.

I really hope the rumour S4 is true. Cause according to Manga raw readers. S4,S5 will the anime catch up and prolly end.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Really there is no coach that would just let a pitcher of his talen ruin their futures. Thats the only thing I can't stand, I understand Goro's take. He doesn't care but at the same time if he was to lose baseball again he wouldn't be able to recover at all.

Muyumara is alright. Though I remember them saying that he has breaking pitches so that should make things interesting during the actual game. Well if Season 4 and 5 is suppose to it all. I'm guessing at the end of 5 he will be a pro or have some sort of injury to slow him down. maybe he'll have a "professional ball players wife" to help him through it.

edit: when he hit that slider in epis 70 that was fucking hillarious. That pitcher definately looked like he blows
"Context is for Kings"
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Begun to watch Major, didnt expect it to be such a sad anime. Its just one bad thing after another.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Grahf wrote:Really there is no coach that would just let a pitcher of his talen ruin their futures. Thats the only thing I can't stand, I understand Goro's take. He doesn't care but at the same time if he was to lose baseball again he wouldn't be able to recover at all.

Muyumara is alright. Though I remember them saying that he has breaking pitches so that should make things interesting during the actual game. Well if Season 4 and 5 is suppose to it all. I'm guessing at the end of 5 he will be a pro or have some sort of injury to slow him down. maybe he'll have a "professional ball players wife" to help him through it.

edit: when he hit that slider in epis 70 that was fucking hillarious. That pitcher definately looked like he blows

He never has been in a serious team with a good coach. He hasnt been in Yokahoma little like Toshi, He wasnt long in Kadio. So no coach has tried to change his mind and make him afraid of what damage he can do to his future.

I meant in season 2 i think it was when Goro met Muyumara for the first time with Kadio united and got crushed by him and his pitches. Without that he wouldnt be so hot to go after Kadio.

I was actually surprised how long it took Goro to beat that Slider. Katori wasnt that great. Goro only struggled for a time cause he wasnt used to Sliders. I was more impressed with Karasawa in the same team, he hit Goro's fastest pitch several times and scared the hell outta of Goro.

I want Goro to humilaite Kadio and their annoying manager but so far Major has been very realistic that the weak team cant beat the stronger team magicly. The only way they can beat Kaido is if Goro pitches doesnt give them runs.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I finished Sousei no Aquarion, so I'm going to begin Basilisk soon, since I've heard good things about it. I'm also now on the Asgard arc of Saint Seiya, so I'm still watching that.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Katori wasn't that great? Are you kidding? For a High Schooler to throw a sliders with that kind of a break? That thing was breaking at least 12 inches and lacing the outside corner (right handed batters) of the plate. Its not like he was just throwing a slider all game long he was mixing it in with other pitches as well. Then eventually a slider can hang and that turns into a batting practice fastball (evident on the last shot that was given up).

As far as Taiga is concerned it seems like he eats left handed pitching being a left handed bat. The slider broke towards his inside strike zone so he was able to handle it better than the other right handed bats. Plus he is a contact hitter with speed those are usually the guys that screw up No-nos and perfect games. The little guy has been rather interesting thus far it seems that him doing anything depends on his mindset. He has been the most realistic baseball player in the manga thus far.

As for weaker teams defeat stronger teams. That is true as far as baseball is concerned but.... This manga doesn't illustrate the fact that sometimes pitchers just don't have it. They make it that a guy comes out and its already slotted to have a dominate performance and that isn't always so. Especially when you only throw fastballs.
Last edited by Grahf on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Context is for Kings"
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Watched the first season of Major, isnt the beginning of season 2 a little weird?
You never knew if they won or not. Or maybe that will show itself in season 2 in flashback style perhaps.
oh well, will find out tomorrow I guess :P

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Grahf wrote:Katori wasn't that great? Are you kidding? For a High Schooler to throw a sliders with that kind of a break? That thing was breaking at least 12 inches and lacing the outside corner (right handed batters) of the plate. Its not like he was just throwing a slider all game long he was mixing it in with other pitches as well. Then eventually a slider can hang and that turns into a batting practice fastball (evident on the last shot that was given up).

As far as Taiga is concerned it seems like he eats left handed pitching being a left handed bat. The slider broke towards his inside strike zone so he was able to handle it better than the other right handed bats. Plus he is a contact hitter with speed those are usually the guys that screw up No-nos and perfect games. The little guy has been rather interesting thus far it seems that him doing anything depends on his mindset. He has been the most realistic baseball player in the manga thus far.

As for weaker teams defeat stronger teams. That is true as far as baseball is concerned but.... This manga doesn't illustrate the fact that sometimes pitchers just don't have it. They make it that a guy comes out and its already slotted to have a dominate performance and that isn't always so. Especially when you only throw fastballs.
Yeah the fact that Goro throws only fastballs is a big weakness. Im not expert on Baseball but i have seen in this anime and other places how important it is to have different pitches. Its why his team has lost to the best teams. Its why even though i want him to destroy the annoying team of Kadio and their annoying manager i fear Goro will lose cause his team is weak and he isnt physically 100% and his fastballs arent exactly unstoppable Karasawa has shown that.

I heard a rumor from the manga reader that in his minor league days prolly next season he is gonna try to learn other pitches than only fastballs.

Yeah Taiga are interesting. He seems to know the game better than a kid in his age. Katori i meant wasnt that great compared to what Goro has faced. Didnt say he was bad. I remember the first Goro and Toshiya faced him and Karasawa.
wotjesus
imanewbie

Post by wotjesus »

Just finished watched both 'phases' of the Gantz anime. I know the manga continues and all, but I have to say the closure in the anime was really rushed. Nonetheless, still very entertaining.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Yeah Goro should lose eitherway. That isn't a teamt that loses to another team like Goro's.
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

wotjesus wrote:Just finished watched both 'phases' of the Gantz anime. I know the manga continues and all, but I have to say the closure in the anime was really rushed. Nonetheless, still very entertaining.
Yeah, the ending of the anime (last 3 episodes) are full of crap too (filler). I mean, there was some interesting dialogue between Kurono and the younger bad guy, but for the most part it was just a rushed filler ending. Check out the manga, it gets a hell of a lot better from there. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Grahf wrote:Yeah Goro should lose eitherway. That isn't a teamt that loses to another team like Goro's.
After seeing the cocky way Toshi acted in ep 71 like you win a game cause you are the favorites i dont care what Goro have to do i want to see the big and mighty Kadio go down burning.

If his team fields decent, he has a chance with his battting and picthing specially if Taiga keeps batting as good as he did in this ep.

I hope Goro shows all he has learned and beats them.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

I'm new here so I might as well jump in. Found this place two weeks ago after desperately searching for Welcome to the NHK manga after being blown away by the anime... holy sh*t, I cried at the end. The manga is way different... the characters are more f*cked up and less likeable, which I think is cool too. (I'm still on volume 7 though)

I'm currently watching Claymore (Freaking awesome!!!), Hayate no Gotoku (started off really strong), Heroic Age, Naruto (it's getting old), and bleach (I think I'm quitting it though... I just don't care about any of the characters anymore).
I'm in the middle of black cat, but got bored half way through and don't know if I'll complete it any time soon.
Recently finished Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya... so awesome!!!

BTW... Battle Angel Alita was the first anime I ever saw and the one that got me hooked on anime. I cried at the end of that as well. So it was tres cool to see Fuji cosplay Alita! so so awesome!!!
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

oh yeah... since we're talking about Gantz I recently watched the all 26 or so episodes in one day on Veoh (They take 'em down pretty fast, although not as fast as youtube). I had to watch the dub (which killed me) and the last four episodes with spanish subtitles because I couldn't wait until the guy got around to posting the final episodes (which was the next day).

*spoiler alert*

I really liked it, but had to search the internets for what the final message might have been.
The ending seemed to suggest the whole scenario had been the delusion of a dying brain.
Not an entirely bad way to end a series that hadn't been ended yet... I was glad to read that the manga continued the story. I ended up spoiling myself by reading the entire wikipedia entry so I'll probably spare myself the manga until the story is concluded... it seems like theirs a lot of questions and not many answers so far.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Tonbo wrote:it seems like theirs a lot of questions and not many answers so far.
Yeah, that's basically the case. However, there's been lots of cool and interesting things that have happened after the anime too. So make sure to read the manga sometime. :P

Though, there definitely have been some answers. Like what really happens when you get to 100 points, and so on. ;)
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is without a doubt the best show of the 21st century.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Catching both old and new shows:

Old shows
-Urusei Yatsura
-Maison Ikkoku
-Master Keaton

New Shows
-Lucky Star
-Darker Then Black
-Mononoke (awkward animation maintains me glued)
-Kenkoo Zenrakei Suieibu Umishou
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LordMune wrote:Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is without a doubt the best show of the 21st century.
Care to elaborate on that? What's it about, and why is it so good?
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Starnum wrote:
LordMune wrote:Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is without a doubt the best show of the 21st century.
Gainax lastest mecha show if i'm not mistaken.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=4575

or

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=6698
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Starnum wrote:
Some internal Gainax circlejerking, some burning passion the likes of which haven't been seen since the '80s, and a story that not only dares to be epic but pulls it off with panache. Watch it, you'll thank me for telling you to. :)
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012