miura's absence

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

now that's hawt!

Now, can you guys be creative enough to make a better logo for Mindwerks?

:D

If you want to help, here is the template banner image, try to keep EG and elements on the top part.

For example Eldo is currently working on this, its beta but you get the idea.

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Sorry, I have no artistic ability at all (stick figures are about my limit). I'll have to leave this one to the others.
Nekomimi
imanewbie

Post by Nekomimi »

I've done tons of signatures (for me and many many MANY other people)
But I've never even tried something like this =D
So Im not quite sure if there is some kind of rules for making logo for web site or what?

So I made kind of.. "try" :P
Is this the style, I want to ask ^^'

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

thats pretty damn good *wakes up eldo*...

*saves link*

i like how the title overlaps everything and you kept a thin border, that is very class.

Can you try something similiar but do Evil_Genius instead, I handed the Mindwerks forum over to EG since there wouldn't be a forum to speak of if it wasnt' for EG and it's fans. :D

Also, could you also add EG's scanlations's man characters?

Thanks! :smoken:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I can use more ideas like that. I liked the name placement, I had no idea how I could make the EG name stand out. More ideas could be great.

My beta one looks kind of bland at the the moment, if there's any other banners out there that I can emulate, that would be great. It'd be even better if someone else did the banner for me, I'm incredibly lazy and somewhat busy as time progresses.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

Well, on the ordeal with or when the, by far, best manga ends, is actually pretty unknown. Yea, I would love it to end after another 30 or 60 more novels... but... why would it last that long?
Currently, in the lastest chapter, Griffith is now facing off with the emporer, who should most likely die in the next chapter. Then we have the kushan army falls apart, griffith becomes king, guts going to elfhelm, Caska might or might not regain her mentallity. Then we have guts going after the "white hawk." Then its revealed who is the real white hawk (for those who like the theory of guts=white hawk) Then Guts takes on neo hawks... in the end guts wins. And then, we have to have guts take on god hand...(somewhere in there we find out everything about skullknight, since he pops up randomly)
I cant see it going past another 15 volumes if it stays to that exact story line. The reason behind this, is because since the eclipse, the kushans have been a major "character" in whole and we are at the demise of that empire now. We do not have a King for midland, and, well, the princess has already chosen her lover and new king. So, currently, it is all down hill from here.

On the side note,Miura is the greatest artist and mangaka of all time =) he could be using cheap computer graphics (naruto/bleach) but he is keeping it hand drawn... which i love =) I do not care if he takes another 3+month leave to draw another 1000 troops
SONGSAN
imanewbie

Post by SONGSAN »

Miura is indeed a unique character. He just refuses to do what the entire Japanese manga industry do. It's an honor being his fan through these years :D.

Berserk could very well end soon. I'll be happy to reread it a thousand times and at the same time enjoy his new one. No point in extending it to 20 more volumes, it ends when it ends.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Berserk could very well end soon. I'll be happy to reread it a thousand times and at the same time enjoy his new one. No point in extending it to 20 more volumes, it ends when it ends.
I doubt it will end anytime "soon", at least as most people use the word. Even just another 10 volumes (and I can't possibly see it being less then that if Miura is going to do a decent job, but I could easily see it being much more) would take years. Which is just as well, since I'm not in any hurry to loose one of my favorite series.
Ollie
imanewbie

Post by Ollie »

Istvan wrote:
60 - 90 volumes, eh? It's taken over 15 years to get where we are, so can we expect another 15+ years of Berserk? I don't see why not.
I'm certainly not objecting. Something this good deserves to be worked out in loving detail, with every plot thread dealt with.
Although I certainly won't mind going along for the ride, I think another 30 volumes isn't a good thing, simply because less dedicated people will grow out of it and stop reading, and a HUGE number of books like that can be really discouraging for anyone interested in checking it out.

Hell, the only reason why I even started reading Berserk was because a friend of mine told me about Schierke and made a sort of comparison of her to one of my characters; I wanted to find out more about this witch girl, and the art looked decent, so I gave it a try. Although I definately enjoyed reading the volumes I did get a bit restless at times because it was taking so damn long for that girl to show up! And for some reason the religious arc where Farnese comes was one that kind of annoyed me for some reason. I guess I just don't like religious fanatics.
Botch
imanewbie

Post by Botch »

Yea, that arc really pissed me off. I found myself at times wanting to strangle that Nina chick...

"Sink, suffer, self destruct. Rise, stronger, reconstruct." - Lamb of God
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Ugh, yes, that girl was incredibly annoying, and so was the priest who was in charge of the inquisition. I didn't like large parts of that arc, either, but other parts were good, and by the end it was very clear why the arc as a whole was important.
freegood
imanewbie

Post by freegood »

Am I the only one who thinks that he should've let computers or minions draw that army? Miura is a known perfectionist, but come on... we could've had 3 or more issues in that time.

The visual payoff wouldn't have been hit as hard. Personally I wouldn't tell the difference.

As for the series extending another 15 years, I'm mixed on that. I get impatient for the battles, but if the quality maintained then who wouldn't want the series to last long.
Botch
imanewbie

Post by Botch »

freegood wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that he should've let computers or minions draw that army? Miura is a known perfectionist, but come on... we could've had 3 or more issues in that time.

The visual payoff wouldn't have been hit as hard. Personally I wouldn't tell the difference.
blasphemy

"Sink, suffer, self destruct. Rise, stronger, reconstruct." - Lamb of God
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I guess he is the only one :twisted: Anyway I might not have noticed either but its nice to know that he still hardcore :twisted: I cant wait to see how much more this goes on.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

i thought it was worth it because it showed his dedication and skill. i am so happy he didnt computerize it!!!

"The wind whispered,and the world began to change."
Nekomimi
imanewbie

Post by Nekomimi »

Can you try something similiar but do Evil_Genius instead, I handed the Mindwerks forum over to EG since there wouldn't be a forum to speak of if it wasnt' for EG and it's fans.

Also, could you also add EG's scanlations's man characters?
Sorry! Have been away once again, but naturally, I'll see what I can do :3
And I gotta take look at those othe chars xD
I truly am still such a newbie I haven't had the time to see the things yet.

Later~!
Aolsier
Don't mind me, I'm a dumbass.

Post by Aolsier »

Well I just hope that Berserk continues on to another 30 vol, which I think it easily could.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Am I the only one who thinks that he should've let computers or minions draw that army? Miura is a known perfectionist, but come on... we could've had 3 or more issues in that time.

Nah, I'm happy that he didn't. Sure, I might not have been able to tell the difference either, in that instance, but that's not the point. Part of the reason the art in Berserk is so awesome is because Miura is such a perfectionalist. I'm more then willing to put up with the occasional delay caused by that perfectionalism, when the alternative would be a lower quality of art.
Hawk of Darkness

Post by Hawk of Darkness »

Have to agree, I like Miura's art and only Miura's art to be on Berserk if it takes 4 months to make a single chapter so be it, its just the quality Ive come to expect from Berserk and Miura
nightofchaos

Post by nightofchaos »

Istvan wrote:Well, I certainly hope it's not coming to a grand finale soon. I think there's still way too much story left untold for me to want it to end any time soon.
It's called: what they told mister Hideo Kojima. MGS or death! Of course I don't personally recommend that course of action(See what happened to poor snake... :cry: ). But if Miura drinks up his resveratrol, and with advanced tissue engineering just over the horizon, he should be in fine health for quite a long long time. He can't cut berserk short, at least not because of lazyness, if he figured out a way to tell the story in less words, than so be it. But if not he better keep that pen going.

PS
The laws against artistic representations of nude young girls need to go, email your congressmen or something. Berserk can't be made an illegal possesion by some loser corrupted politicians. The supreme court already sided with people like me, but they threw the same law back into action with a different wording!!!

I'm an artist, and I find them to be offensively abusing the power they've been given, and against my constitutional rights.

The laws are by the people and for the people, they're supposed to be representing us up there!

PPS

AT least while I don't directly email them, I do tell this in one way or another in every conversation or board I frequent, day and night. Sorry politicians, it must be a few million that have been exposed to the truth already.(I'm almost 24-7 in front of my pc.)
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

AT least while I don't directly email them, I do tell this in one way or another in every conversation or board I frequent, day and night. Sorry politicians, it must be a few million that have been exposed to the truth already.(I'm almost 24-7 in front of my pc.)
If it's that important to you, why don't you contact you congressmen, or, even better, set up one of those things were you have lots of people contact there congressmen?
nightofchaos

Post by nightofchaos »

Istvan wrote:
If it's that important to you, why don't you contact you congressmen, or, even better, set up one of those things were you have lots of people contact there congressmen?
I'm old fashioned, this is my way. Just like Miura takes his time and does it his way, this is my art my passion.
yume wa kareno
imanewbie

Re: miura's absence

Post by yume wa kareno »

i honestly can't see it going for another 30 more volumes, much less 60-90. that's just making it epic for epic's sake. just because you love something, it can't...it shouldn't go on seemingly forever. that just cheapens the meaning. i know one of Miura's inspirations was the super long manga series (i forget the name right now), but that was planned on being 100 volumes from the beginning. Miura didn't have a plan when he started. he is fantastic, however the best part of a story is the ending. a "life's work" should be the culmination of events, not the detailed retelling that takes more time to tell it than what actually took place.

side note: are there any Yukio Mishima fans out there? "the Sea of Fertility" is a breath taking "life' work" in only 4 books.
ghostdog
imanewbie

Re: miura's absence

Post by ghostdog »

yume wa kareno wrote:i honestly can't see it going for another 30 more volumes, much less 60-90. that's just making it epic for epic's sake. just because you love something, it can't...it shouldn't go on seemingly forever. that just cheapens the meaning. i know one of Miura's inspirations was the super long manga series (i forget the name right now), but that was planned on being 100 volumes from the beginning. Miura didn't have a plan when he started. he is fantastic, however the best part of a story is the ending. a "life's work" should be the culmination of events, not the detailed retelling that takes more time to tell it than what actually took place.

side note: are there any Yukio Mishima fans out there? "the Sea of Fertility" is a breath taking "life' work" in only 4 books.
I believe the 100 volumes series you're referring to, is the novel fantasy series Guin Saga by Kaoru Kurimoto, a book series. Anyway the man should continue the manga as much as he has inspiration but not just for the sake of prolonging the end. Besrerk should end when it should end and I hope that's not in 15 years... Having battles that each one lasts for 10 chapters isn't a nice way to make the manga last longer... there should be more focus on the story.