Fan Art

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Gattsblackfalcon
This is my new home

Re: Fan Art

Post by Gattsblackfalcon »

Neat stuff as always, keep it comming
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

I've been working some more with photoshop lately, so I figured I'd take a stab at coloring some manga. And of course, if I was going to try coloring something it'd have to be from something from berserk, a scene I hadn't seen colored before. I toyed around with filters some after finishing, and rather liked this result:

At any rate, here's the actual picture. It's an example of the most basic sort of coloring you can do, nothing too fancy; I had a fun time figuring things out as I went.

I might go back and add in a background or some blood, we'll see.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

His armor looks really good, as does his skin... pretty damn good job! :)
mwraiden
imanewbie

Post by mwraiden »

Dagda Mor wrote:I've been working some more with photoshop lately, so I figured I'd take a stab at coloring some manga. And of course, if I was going to try coloring something it'd have to be from something from berserk, a scene I hadn't seen colored before. I toyed around with filters some after finishing, and rather liked this result:
**img***
At any rate, here's the actual picture. It's an example of the most basic sort of coloring you can do, nothing too fancy; I had a fun time figuring things out as I went.
**img***
I might go back and add in a background or some blood, we'll see.
Thats a really nice work.. I do like it. The filter didn't helped though. :S
You should try adding also some shadows or highlights... that would be awesome.
:) :D
Great jobs last ones.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I actually like the filter effect, except the part on Gutts face where its all brownish. Great work. Can I ask how much time each one took? (coloring, and then getting the effect?)
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

The coloring may have taken as long as ten hours; I wasn't keeping track. Again, I'm figuring things out as I go, so I'm continually getting more efficient at this. The filter took about 60 seconds to drag the sliders around.

In anticipation of the upcoming release, I sat back down and powered my way through coloring a full page featuring Caska. I also had the idea of altering the color scheme to have her be a little more in line with Guts' current appearance- a "black swordswoman", if you will, or at least a step in that direction.

And while we're at it, have the final version of the first image...

...and the version of the second image using Caska's standard color scheme.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

These are great, although, as a personal preference I would prefer the light version. There's just more contrast and it looks prettier.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Brainpiercing wrote:These are great, although, as a personal preference I would prefer the light version. There's just more contrast and it looks prettier.
Yeah, I'm actually inclined to agree, if only because of the way the image is set up in the first place. Still, it's fun to try out something you wouldn't normally see.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

great job on the colorings and the full page coloring was awesome also... your right you dont see many full page colorings around here much, way-to put in the effort :cool:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
EvilDmitri
Mastered PM

Post by EvilDmitri »

citanuzuki666
notanewb

Post by citanuzuki666 »

Great job, But I'm curious to why you picked that picture?
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

I'm interested in how he did the clouds. Did you actually make those or did you use a picture?
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
EvilDmitri
Mastered PM

Post by EvilDmitri »

I can make clouds from scratch, but with this I thought it would be neat to use a photograph and modify it to make it look like a graphic. I like how it looks, saved a bit of time as well, but I might make a scratch background later and use it instead.

And in response to the other guy, I didn't chose it for any particular reason. I was bored and had the page sitting around so I decided to take an hour or two and color it.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Great job EvilD... got to love the clouds

hey buuhan1 awesome sig and AV I like Pucks aura... not traditional but I like it

Here is the reason why it is taking Miura so long to get out a chapter... I couldnt imagine drawing Guts all fucked up like he is... this was a challenge to color and I didnt do that great of job but oh well.

EvilDmitri
Mastered PM

Post by EvilDmitri »

Sandman wrote:Great job EvilD... got to love the clouds

hey buuhan1 awesome sig and AV I like Pucks aura... not traditional but I like it

Here is the reason why it is taking Miura so long to get out a chapter... I couldnt imagine drawing Guts all fucked up like he is... this was a challenge to color and I didnt do that great of job but oh well.

:P

To do all of that scarring, if you want to, try this. Lasso all of the scar marks at once on the linart layer, should only take a sec, and when all of the scars are outlined, go to Select and chose Modify => Expand and expand by say 2 pixels. Then take your selection and feather it by 1 pixel to give a fading effect to it. Now just paint on the scar color of your choice to the selection (in a new layer, under the lineart of course) and set the opacity and an overlay blend to make it fit in with the undercoat of color.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Dude Lassoing all that would take for ever well for me atleast, but sounds like a good Idea... I will keep that in mind when I color his massively scared body :lol:
EvilDmitri
Mastered PM

Post by EvilDmitri »

Sandman wrote:Dude Lassoing all that would take for ever well for me atleast, but sounds like a good Idea... I will keep that in mind when I color his massively scared body :lol:
Just lasso around everything, you don't even have to zoom in, then nudge it one space right then left to get the selection and it will select all of the scars.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I will have to try it... in hid sight I should have put alittle more red in where there were big groups of scars... and made the Slan and puncture wound older looking
mwraiden
imanewbie

Post by mwraiden »

It's been a while...
Here's my last work.. took me about a couple of weeks.. but I think its finished now.
It's exclusive for this forum since I am too lazy about posting in other sites...
Just one thing.. I cant exactly remeber when did Guts appear with the white hairs... I think it was after getting the new armor, but whatever. Enjoy!

I did two versions for I couldn't tell which one was better(Night and Dusk).. it is up to you now.
For full size click the link bellow the images(they are big images).

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115 ... rNight.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115 ... erDusk.jpg

I think they could be some nice fan wallpapers or somecrap like that ;)

Edit: Now that I watch the images in another PC they seem a LOT lighter than I thought they were... but whatever, if you dislike it, feel free to balance them at your choice.
Thats all guys and keep up your works too :)
Last edited by mwraiden on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

That is simply amazing!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

F-ing A Cotton!! That is F-ing amazing!!!

Is that the Sword of Darness 1 I see between his legs?
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Arcandus
notanewb

Post by Arcandus »

Very nice. I like skulls.
mwraiden
imanewbie

Post by mwraiden »

Thanks everyone for your support...
TheDrizzit wrote:F-ing A Cotton!! That is F-ing amazing!!!

Is that the Sword of Darness 1 I see between his legs?
ahaha.. you noticed it.. U_U.. It is.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

mwraidan, that is simply beautiful (and reminiscent of a zodd pose). did you draw that yourself?

edit:

upon closer inspection is almost looks like you got it from the video game.
mwraiden
imanewbie

Post by mwraiden »

MrFelony wrote:mwraidan, that is simply beautiful (and reminiscent of a zodd pose). did you draw that yourself?

edit:

upon closer inspection is almost looks like you got it from the video game.
Hi... I did the image thinking in originality.. seems I failed :S .. anyway, I didt it myself... Its a complex process though. First started with Poser for Guts human body shape and characteristics(Musculature, face, things like that) then Exported the mesh into 3DSMax to put the model in the final pose and arranged the textures and lighting of the model plus a base armor(Not detailed at all, just for sketch purposes)... then when all was ready I started to do some photoshop work for the full armor, background, details, etc. In fact, I added Casca to the scene, sitting by his side. But she looked like a poor beggar in rags and crap, so I removed her from the final scene(I still have her in my files, but sucked for the image). The DragonSlayer; I did it by first modeling it on 3dsmax (and some texture, bump and crap) then working on it on photoshop for details and blood. The skulls.. the same. The rest, just photoshop.

Sorry if I bored you, but this should help people to improve themselves (I would like to others share their technique too).