Religio-Scientific Ethics of Cooter Burning (Split Thread)

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I personally believe that everything happens for a reason. But i also believe that everyone has there own beliefs which you should respect
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

I agree mostly, some beliefs need to be extinguished though.
I am without a home and in that I find my place in it all.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Buzkashi wrote:I personally believe that everything happens for a reason. But i also believe that everyone has there own beliefs which you should respect
I don't. Letting people believe their life is on a track only causes them not to take responsible for their mistakes.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

no it doesnt...i believe everything happens fora reason have i havent once (in memory) not taken responsibilty...oh wait...well, not taken responsibility for somthing ive been caught doing haha :P.
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

I've got to agree with you there, i think things DO happen for a reason. When something horrible happens you'll find yourself blessed in other ways.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

then who's gettin' all my blessin'?

but I also believe that things happen for a reason...but sometimes we can change the reasons!
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

You guys need another way to couch that philosophy, saying things happen for a reason.. is well just blatantly obvious... of course things happen for a reason, that reason is called... action. Action by you, action by another... action by nature...
Last edited by martyr3810 on Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

chill out new guy, not a good way for a first impression
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

That was chill, the conversation was going nowhere and it really is obvious... just think about it.

On a different note I jus re-read what I typed and I really should have said THAT philosophy not YOUR philosophy... it comes out like an accusation of stupidity... My apologies.
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

of course things take ACTION for something to happen. What I'm getting at is the possibility of different ways that things unfold. There are many types of ACTION in a given situation, so why did THIS certain one happen in THIS certain situation. May be a bit confusing but oh well.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starlore wrote:I'm sorry you see it that way hun. Personally, I didn't used to believe it myself when I was younger, but eventually, I started to recognize otherwise. It at some point, became painfully obvious that every event I seriously looked back upon, had a pertinance or a relevant result. Ultimately, it ended up something I could no longer deny.

Whether you choose to see it as such or not, is your own choosing. But as for myself & a plethora of others I've conversed with in regards to such things, it's been proven time & time again. But I'm not about to get into a debate on what in life is fiction & what isn't. What's true to each of us, is all that matters...What I'd stated, was my own perspective to add to the mess of other voices being heard. Sorry if you can't relate, but that doesn't hold any sway over my own life's truths :wink:

I don't need 'excuses' to deal with the shit that life has thrown at me. In fact, I'm a buddhist & acceptance is a very very VERY solid lesson you learn as one. I've dealt with a large number of fucked up situations & truths in my life, as many of us have. It's learning to accept shit for being just that...shit, that has gotten me thru it all without killing myself, or someone else LOL. Denial gets you absofuckinlutely NOWHERE in life. Those who know me, know that I'm painfully & brutally realistic in terms of society & life's most negative aspects. In that, there's no room for me to 'hide' from any bullshit, hah >.<

& moving right along...Welcome back Sir Dos of Azn lol :D
I guess this discussion will not lead anywhere since your beliefs are tied to your religion, but I would like to mention why I think this "theory" doesn't work in real life. The next example is an interpretation of something Shisho said when I was having a discussion with him back in DP. It was a discussion about the elections that derailed into I-don't-know-what, if I'm not mistaken and I was arguing against him. He made a great point and I was forced to stand down because of it. I think Starnum and psi were part of that discussion too. Be warned though, I do get very, I don't know, passionate maybe, when I talk about my beliefs like this, so apologies if I offend you at some point, especially since you are a woman (unless I'm confused or something) and I'm against being an asshole to women. You can call me sexist if you want to. :P

Answer me this, where are you right now? Not your location, but where are you sitting? Do you have air conditioning for this hot summer (I'm assuming you're in NY or someplace similar here, where it's getting pretty bad)? How about a TV? A computer? The fact that you post on the internet and write in a relatively educated way means that you at least have access to the internet and a decent education. You're in a message board about manga and anime, and that's a pretty expensive hobby last I checked (unless you leech your life away) so you're probably not that bad off. You might be rich, you might be middle class, but you are definitely not poor, not like the poor I know at least. It's easy for someone like you, who is in a privileged position, to say that everything happens for a reason, because you've had a comfortable life. I'm not saying that you're life has been beautiful or without problems, I'm sure you've had many, but the truth is, it's nothing compared to what happens in the real world. In fact, I could say that everything happens for a reason too, and I could probably make up some reasons to back that up, because my life, with a couple of bumps here and there, has also been pretty good. Anybody that posts in a place like this and says otherwise is a hypocrite, stupid or in dire need of help, plain and simple.

What about the people in Africa with aids that get the disease just because they don't know better? What about South America and those children that die because they have no food to put in their mouths? What about the situation in Colombia? And I'm sorry this is a little too close for some (it is for me), but what about the people that died in the WTC? What's their reason for just dying like that? I dare you to tell some kid in South America that goes out to sell candy every day, only to give back what little money he earns to his parent, who will beat him up in return, that "everything happens for a reason." You may or may not have experienced something like this, but I have, and something like that can break a person. You can say that "everything is good" and "everything has a purpose" because you've had a good life, as I'm sure your friends that believe in the same bullshit have. The truth is, "everything happens for a reason" is selfish thought, one that places yourself at the forefront of the world as the main evidence supporting it. Heck, I think that "don't worry, be happy" is a better way of dealing with shit that happens in life. At least you're not deluding yourself into thinking that everything that has been shitty in your life is OK, because it's really the master plan of what some great force has in store for you.

If you think of replying with something that has to do with god to this, then you might as well stop right there. I don't believe in that and I don't consider it a valid argument.

I miss Shiho and his discussing prowess. Image

[/Wyrm]
dos.azn wrote:chill out new guy, not a good way for a first impression
This comment gave me teh giggles. :kekeke:
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I love crime....I used to live in Baltimore City. I like crabs and chicken. Oh and I agree with Femto, I think I couldn't get to the point as serious as he could and did.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I am going to have to agree with Femto as well, because I can't except religion as a logical counter point. Religion has to do with faith, nothing more. I am not going to add to either end of the discussion because I just don't have the discussion prowess that Femto has. Well, unless it is about video games that is. :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Im with starlore on this one. I personally believe that everything happens for a reason. But i have to admit its been a while since ive seen an educated debate in here. Im enjoying this.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Starlore wrote:
& moving right along...Welcome back Sir Dos of Azn lol :D
hahahha sir dos of azn, i like that haha :wink:
Femto wrote: I guess this discussion will not lead anywhere since your beliefs are tied to your religion, but I would like to mention why I think this "theory" doesn't work in real life. The next example is an interpretation of something Shisho said when I was having a discussion with him back in DP. It was a discussion about the elections that derailed into I-don't-know-what, if I'm not mistaken and I was arguing against him. He made a great point and I was forced to stand down because of it. I think Starnum and psi were part of that discussion too. Be warned though, I do get very, I don't know, passionate maybe, when I talk about my beliefs like this, so apologies if I offend you at some point, especially since you are a woman (unless I'm confused or something) and I'm against being an asshole to women. You can call me sexist if you want to. :P

Answer me this, where are you right now? Not your location, but where are you sitting? Do you have air conditioning for this hot summer (I'm assuming you're in NY or someplace similar here, where it's getting pretty bad)? How about a TV? A computer? The fact that you post on the internet and write in a relatively educated way means that you at least have access to the internet and a decent education. You're in a message board about manga and anime, and that's a pretty expensive hobby last I checked (unless you leech your life away) so you're probably not that bad off. You might be rich, you might be middle class, but you are definitely not poor, not like the poor I know at least. It's easy for someone like you, who is in a privileged position, to say that everything happens for a reason, because you've had a comfortable life. I'm not saying that you're life has been beautiful or without problems, I'm sure you've had many, but the truth is, it's nothing compared to what happens in the real world. In fact, I could say that everything happens for a reason too, and I could probably make up some reasons to back that up, because my life, with a couple of bumps here and there, has also been pretty good. Anybody that posts in a place like this and says otherwise is a hypocrite, stupid or in dire need of help, plain and simple.

What about the people in Africa with aids that get the disease just because they don't know better? What about South America and those children that die because they have no food to put in their mouths? What about the situation in Colombia? And I'm sorry this is a little too close for some (it is for me), but what about the people that died in the WTC? What's their reason for just dying like that? I dare you to tell some kid in South America that goes out to sell candy every day, only to give back what little money he earns to his parent, who will beat him up in return, that "everything happens for a reason." You may or may not have experienced something like this, but I have, and something like that can break a person. You can say that "everything is good" and "everything has a purpose" because you've had a good life, as I'm sure your friends that believe in the same bullshit have. The truth is, "everything happens for a reason" is selfish thought, one that places yourself at the forefront of the world as the main evidence supporting it. Heck, I think that "don't worry, be happy" is a better way of dealing with shit that happens in life. At least you're not deluding yourself into thinking that everything that has been shitty in your life is OK, because it's really the master plan of what some great force has in store for you.

If you think of replying with something that has to do with god to this, then you might as well stop right there. I don't believe in that and I don't consider it a valid argument.

I miss Shiho and his discussing prowess. Image
oh man.....

during my absence, femto has learned how to talk out of his ass :twisted:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

dos.azn wrote:oh man.....

during my absence, femto has learned how to talk out of his ass :twisted:
Explanation plz. You probably didn't even read my post, so STFU.

And nobody cares about you coming back or not. :kekeke:
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Buz cares! :smoken:
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Femto wrote: Explanation plz. You probably didn't even read my post
well atleast you know me, OF COURSE I DIDNT. IM NOT GONNA READ THAT GARGANTUAN!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

dos.azn wrote:well atleast you know me, OF COURSE I DIDNT. IM NOT GONNA READ THAT GARGANTUAN!
Gargantuan... what? You're missing a noun there buddy. :wink:

:kekeke:
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Cant it be used as a noun also. Like as form of expression?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Nope.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gargantuan

I know you hate me Buz, but coming with lame points like that is not your style.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

The hell. I dont hate you.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

It's because of my undying passion for you, right?

:kekeke:
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I think ill take back that previous statement right about ..................now.

Haha Southpaw is still rockin the mod hat. Though hes not a mod anymore
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Hate Hate Hate Hate "called a bomb threat to the special olympics"