French Fusion

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

French Fusion

Post by Killfile »

France is going to start building a Fusion reactor. Check out the BBC's story on the topic here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4629239.stm
France will get to host the project to build a 10bn-euro (£6.6bn) nuclear fusion reactor, in the face of strong competition from Japan.

The International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (Iter) will be the most expensive joint scientific project after the International Space Station.
or my blog post here

http://www.nephandus.com/blog.php?blogentry=242
It's been said that there exists enough energy in a glass of water to power Chicago for a century and enough power in the top inch or so of late Michigan to power the United States for about the same length of time. A car running on a fusion power plant could pull down about 50,000 miles per gallon and would produce only helium as a byproduct.
Cool stuff, or hot stuff I suppose. This could mean big things for all of us.
Carthago delenda est!

--Killfile @ [Nephandus.com]
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

hrrrmmmmm fusion.... we can only do fusion with fission before it... (hydrogen bomb) god forgot my chem and physics, but isnt like fusion the same thig that happens on the sun??

either way, if they screw up, bye bye france!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

It could mean a possible everlasting energy source. Right?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Fusion -- How it works, what it means

Post by Killfile »

Fusion doesn't require fission first, it requires a huge energy density. Huge energy densities can be creations with a fission bomb, yes, but that leaves big holes in things... so it's not much good for peacetime use.

You can also create fusion by dumping a bunch of energy into a contained system, which is what a fusion reactor seeks to do. Up until quite recently, we've put more energy in than we've gotten out. That sucks if you're trying to make a power plant. The hope is that this new reactor will be more efficient and will show an energy profit (more than we put in)...

Now -- what it means. Since Fusion require hydrogen as fuel and we've got lots and lots of hydrogen sitting around, a working fusion power plant does mean, essentially, limitless energy.... .. ... And limitless helium balloons.

Everyone loves balloons.
Carthago delenda est!

oneofakind
Found the Edit button

Post by oneofakind »

Yep, it is what happens on the sun. As far as i know it happens when, well see it yourself:

The conditions to produce a fusion (at least with suns) is when a gas "cloud" rotates at high speeds. In the center the H atoms collide at high pressures and speeds initiating this way a chain reaction creating a new sun.
I really do not know how they´re going to initiate a reaction, and moreover how to control it. In my notion H bombs ARE fusions, but they´re not controlled that´s the reason for that massive destruction. Well. for better understanding of the bombs i recommend reading:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... /bomb.html

And for the creation of suns visit:
http://ippex.pppl.gov/interactive/fusion/

And yes, it would mean an everlasting energy source, at least until all the water of the world is consumed for that purpose.

edit:
Well, Killfile explained it way better than me...

You were faster Killfile... :cry:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Wasn't there those 2 French guys like 8 years back that said they could do fusion?? and Honda gave them like 3 billion dollars to work on it.. and nothing has shown up?
oneofakind
Found the Edit button

Post by oneofakind »

I remember something like that but really don´t know what happened or what they´ve done
Sykes
imanewbie

Post by Sykes »

Wow. Fusion that would be awsome, I wonder if it will be like in spiderman 2. lol.

"The darkness in my soul is the only thing yet to be consumed by the fire."
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Fusion eh? Always wanted to try it. But the dance is kinda wierd

FUSION HA!!
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Haha buz :D

Who cares about a thing that will be finished in 2050....
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Because it is cool, because it is out of the hands of USA's corporate interests, because of your children, and the future of humanity as a whole.

You should care, because you are human. You should care about how life develops. If you don't, then why even live at all? Go shoot yourself if you don't care.

^_^;; <--- my don't beat me face. Seriously, that is how I feel about such endeavors like this. I'm in awe that such a project is taking place right now in the world.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

LOL buzkashi
"We all know oil and gas depletion will start in 2030 or 2035," said Peter Haug, secretary general of the European Nuclear Society.
I took this from the related New York Times article. It highlights the importance of this project.

Here is a link to the NY Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/29/inter ... REOVERNEWS
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

psi29a wrote:Because it is cool, because it is out of the hands of USA's corporate interests, because of your children, and the future of humanity as a whole.

You should care, because you are human. You should care about how life develops. If you don't, then why even live at all? Go shoot yourself if you don't care.

^_^;; <--- my don't beat me face. Seriously, that is how I feel about such endeavors like this. I'm in awe that such a project is taking place right now in the world.
Its too early to happy about it since nobody knows if it will even finished one day or that when its finished there wont be another way better to get energy.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

now, does anyone know a way to convert the helium back into hydrogen? if so, then it truly would be a limitless fuel.

it's also extremely expensive to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen gases and extracting the hydrogen from fossil fuels isn't very "clean" either. I'm all for the process but you have to look at every step before and after the process before you say it's environmentally friendly or profitable... like if we can't find a use for all the helium produced, what are the environmental effects years down the line?
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

I don't think you grasp this

Post by Killfile »

[quote]it's also extremely expensive to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen gases and extracting the hydrogen from fossil fuels isn't very "clean" either. I'm all for the process but you have to look at every step before and after the process before you say it's environmentally friendly or profitable... [/quote]

I think you misunderstand the implications of hydrogen fusion. The fusion of even a very small quantity of hydrogen, say, 1000 Gallons of water worth, exceeds the energy expended by all the weapons and armies in all of human history.

We're talking about a staggering quantity of energy. We're talking about getting it from the single most abundant element in the universe. It's not expensive to extract hydrogen from water, you can do it with a nine volt batter, two wires, and a glass of tap water. What does that take, energy... what does fusion give us lots of?

As for the helium, this is helium we're talking about. It's not the hideously toxic chemicals that belch from coal fired plants, it's not glowing radioactive waste, it's helium. It's already an appreciable portion of our atmosphere and has so many industrial uses that people pay a fair amount of money for it.

How much do you think we're going to produce? This is matter to energy conversion. We get to multiply by the SPEED OF LIGHT...... .... ... SQUARED.
Carthago delenda est!

calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

the helium was just an example. we don't know all the details of this process. the article does say that radioactivity/waste is produced and even though it might be minimal, it should still be heavily considered as problematic.

and you can't quantify the hydrogen in gallons because we're talking about a gas. 1000 gallons of a gas can be a minuscule amount or a lot depending on the pressure involved.

and I'm not arguing against the project, I'm just saying we shouldn't take it's hazards for granted just because it's potential is huge. if they can find a way to achieve fusion in a way which reduces the environmental effects already inherit in a fusion reaction, then I've no argument at all
Killfile
Flexing spam muscles

Ludite

Post by Killfile »

the helium was just an example. we don't know all the details of this process. the article does say that radioactivity/waste is produced and even though it might be minimal, it should still be heavily considered as problematic.
Ok, first off - yes, we do understand all the details of the process. That's part of the point. Atomic Reactions are fundamentally a lot less complex than chemical ones. Second - cat litter is radioactive. Radioactivity isn't such a big deal if there's a low concentration of it. The ratio of radioactive waste to energy produced by fusion reactions is orders of magnitude lower than those produced by fission reactions. It's comparable to the amount of radioactive waste vented to the atmosphere by burning coal.
you can't quantify the hydrogen in gallons because we're talking about a gas. 1000 gallons of a gas can be a minuscule amount or a lot depending on the pressure involved.
No one did. If you'd read my post you'd have realized that I said 1000 gallons of water worth. Water is essentially an uncompressable fluid, so we're talking about a very specific amount of Hydrogen there.

That point aside, everything is a gas at some pressure and temperature. When we measure things by volume it's pretty much a given that it's at some temp/pressure at which that substance is a liquid. If it's not, we specifically say "gallons of gas at X pressure"
Carthago delenda est!

calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

OK, so the 1000 gallons was a misunderstanding, my bad.

do you have any sources on the amount of radioactivity produced by fusion? or the type of radioactivity?
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Here you go: http://www.pppl.gov/fusion_basics/pages ... _pict.html

also the NY times article I posted earlier has a better table comparing wastes produced by fusion, fission and coal...
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

so according to that Princeton Physics pic it doesn't produce any radioactive materials at all?
BBC article wrote:Fusion does produce radioactive waste...
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I think Princeton Physics pic only focuses on the reaction itself. Following is the explanation for the radioactive waste:

Will Iter produce radioactive waste?

Yes. The neutrons produced in fusion reactions will "activate" the materials used in the walls of Iter's plasma chamber. But one of the project's tasks will be to find the materials that best withstand this bombardment.

This could result in waste materials that are safe to handle in a relatively modest timescale (50-100 years), compared with the much longer lived radioactive waste (many thousands of years) produced as a direct result of splitting atoms in fission reactions.

It has been calculated that after 100 years of post-operation radioactive decay, Iter will be left with about 6,000 tonnes of waste. When packaged, this would be equivalent to a cube with about 10m edges

This is from Q&A section of the BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4627237.stm
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

thanks redeyes, thats a big cube
oneofakind
Found the Edit button

Post by oneofakind »

Wasn´t the Helium produced from the fusion a radioactive isotope???
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

it might be only due to the radiation from neutron
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Omg, I know nothing of chemistry or fusion.
I just wanted to add that in 2030 our cars will be driving on alcohol. It's allready started in some countries.