MMORPGs Discussion.

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't know the numbers, all I know is that WoW is the most popular game today and that it will continue to be popular for a long time to come.

Heck, some analists are worried about WoW hurting the gaming market in general because people don't have to shell out $50 for a 20 hour game and can pay a much smaller monthly fee to play WoW as long as they want.
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

Anybody play galaxies? Is it good? heard it was impossible to be a jedi
Under Construction!
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I find it funny, because I guees that it is like impossible to become a jedi, and the ones who are jedi don't really want to play because they had to do so much shit to get there, and they get like a TON of messages and questions from people about hwo t obecome a jedi. And you know if SWG made it easier even by a small amount, everyone would be a jedi. Kind of a conumdrum they have on their hands.
ImageImage
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Femto wrote:I don't know the numbers, all I know is that WoW is the most popular game today and that it will continue to be popular for a long time to come.

Heck, some analists are worried about WoW hurting the gaming market in general because people don't have to shell out $50 for a 20 hour game and can pay a much smaller monthly fee to play WoW as long as they want.
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

I think future MMORPGs are a no no. No one clicks with them. Im afraid to even try one. Except PSO BB.
Under Construction!
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Femto wrote:Heck, some analists are worried about WoW hurting the gaming market in general because people don't have to shell out $50 for a 20 hour game and can pay a much smaller monthly fee to play WoW as long as they want.
Indeed. Some have said that not only is it hurting the MMO market (games like Matrix Online, which had a feeble opening of only around 50,000 players, and now only has 3 servers running for players. Not to mention the company that originally produced The Matrix Online, sold it to Sony because they considered a wash) but also all PC and Console games in general. Online, and single player.

Indeed who would pay $50-$70 for a new game when you can pay $15 a month and get content patches and updates to continue making your gameplay enjoyable?

And yeah, the figures I gave were correct to my knowledge. WoW currently has 4 million subscribers worldwide (around 1.5 in China alone). Before WoW EQ was the largest MMORPG ever with around 500,000, and all of the experts thought that they had exhausted the amount of people who would ever have interest in playing an MMORPG online with a monthly fee. But WoW just caters to a much larger audience overall than games like EQ and EQ2.

Lineage and Lineage II are pretty close in numbers from what I recall The two of them together come up to almost 3 million subscribers. Most of them in Asian countries.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Damn, I did not know Lineage had that many people on it. I guess I am kinda wrong about US owning the asian MMO scene. 3 mil is not a bad number.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

But it's still less than 4 Million, so the US wins!

AMERICA!

FUCK YEAH!

:PLUS1: :kekeke:
ImageImage
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Heh, seriously though folks, what is so damn great about WoW?? I played it for 4 minutes, did not want to play the game again.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

How about Ultime Online. Must be pretty popular still?

Well I think that it sux in general to pay a monthly fee for a game. First you gotta buy the game aight. And that's like 40-50 €, and if that wasn't enough you have to pay for it every month. I fail to see the reason to waste 100 € a year on a game like dat.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Interaction with thousands of other players for one, and the fact that the game is virtually endless.
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

WOW was way too easy, i got to lvl 15 in no time. The races looked kinda childish compared to guild wars and EQ 2. The graphics are not that great compared to other MMORPGs. Everyone plays alliance anyways, no evil guys. :twisted:
Under Construction!
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

Ye but then to put in the final touch on it takes way way more time.

Like getting that nice item. In order to get it you need 10-20 people to kill that boss, which has only a 15% drop chance of the item + you don't know if you will be the one entitled to it. ;P
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Rosiel wrote:WOW was way too easy, i got to lvl 15 in no time. The races looked kinda childish compared to guild wars and EQ 2. The graphics are not that great compared to other MMORPGs. Everyone plays alliance anyways, no evil guys. :twisted:
Umm anyone can get to lvl15. As you get higher it gets tougher and tougher. Thats like someone saying

"ninja gaiden is sooooooo easy, i mean i killed like the first 3 enemies that attacked me"

Horde for the win anyways. Alliance is just strait up gay.

p.s - Is SWG any good. I mean i know its hard but thats why i wana get it? Does anyone currently play it?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

I personally can't stand the Horde. Their opening levels just bore the crap out of me. I only partially enjoyed leveling my Undead at the start, but that was the only Horde race that I can say that about. The rest of them is more like torture than leveling.

As far as the graphics and them being too "childish", it's based on the previous games' lore, so Warcraft 1, 2, and 3. I see a lot of similarities in graphics between Warcraft3 and World of Warcraft. I personally like the WoW graphics however. They aren't as hardware intensive, so where on a game like Lineage II or FFXI you might have to lower your graphics settings all the way down because you have an older video card, you can get away with higher detail in WoW.

As far as needing a Raid group to kill certain enemies which drop the better items, welcome to the world of MMORPGs. Every MMO I've ever played does this. Possibly not quite the the extent that WoW does since you need upwards of 40 players in your raid group for some bosses, but quite a few games have enemies that require parties to kill, and ave a very small chance to drop items.

Ragnarok Online for one, has bosses that require several players to band together. However, in Ragnarok Online the very rare items are usually placed at a .01% drop rate. So where as in WoW, usually when you're going after these extremely rare items you go into an instance where it's just you and your party, in Ragnarok Online, the bosses respawn once an hour, and you have hundreds of people competing with you to find that boss before others do. Which one do you think you'd get the item from first?

Oh, also: WoW Article
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I played the WoW beta for a month back then. Was fun but nothing I would pay for, especially after they translated the Warlocks into "Hexenmeister" in german. Another reason to always use english versions.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

Hmm, interesting post. I play EQ 2 so i give it my love, but still 4 million? Did I miss some sweet option when i was playin :shock:
Under Construction!
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I just don't understand it. I've play WoW and I don't see how it has 4,000,000 users. That's really crazy.
Lord Aaron
imanewbie

Post by Lord Aaron »

I have a friend that got to lvl 60 in a week on WoW. Power leveling^2.

On another note, anyone here play conquer online?

I'm looking for folks to join me on the newest [just opened last month] server.

The game is completely free too, if you can handle the 509 MB client download.
>.< I need to make yet another signiture.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I have never even heard of Conquer online.
Lord Aaron
imanewbie

Post by Lord Aaron »

Not surprising. But it is a major MMPORPG. Though its original version if full chinese and nearing 4 years old, an english version was released about a year ago.

BTW: 4 Million on WoW? Half of china plays CO2 China, figure THAT subscriber number.
>.< I need to make yet another signiture.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Well I play WoW out off two reason´s
1. I dont get as addicted (Theres not much depth in WoW) to it as I was in Anarchy online so I can focus on other things, like my studies for example.
2. I love the fantasy setting and the warcraft lore.

And well I can´t say wich side I like the most, I mean there is noone else that looks more Badass then a Human in mail/plate.
But on the other hand UD mages looks so Evil :D

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Rosiel
Beware my tactical spam

Post by Rosiel »

Isn't Square Enix coming out with MMO? If its for the PS2 i dont see a future in it. :cry: I still would like to try it though.
Under Construction!
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Square Enix has
Fantasy Earth
Front Mission Online
New Final Fantasy Online project
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus will have online play also.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I am not surprised that WoW is so popular. Its based on a series of great games that already had a huge following. And its is a easy game to get into. Unlike other MMOs, the average gamer doesnt have any problems jumping right in and playing. Nearly all of my friends got the game and played it for a few months and none of them had ever played a MMO before, but they had all played Warcraft 3. I played a bit at my friends, but never got into it because I lacked the funds at the time it was released and then I just never got around to buying it.

I am planning on getting Phantasy Star Universe, it should be out next month. I loved PSO on my Dreamcast. Anyone else considering PSU?
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry