Vampire Hunter D

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starlore
This is my new home

Vampire Hunter D

Post by Starlore »

[Note: Ok, sue me if this has already been posted, but I did search for it & had no luck finding anything...but then, my net connection is severely fucked the past 2 days--searching anything is just a no go as my connection shits out completely every other minute ugh. If this has been mentioned before, please feel free to delete this thread & if possible, link me via PM. Thanks :) ]

I've been itching to get my hands on Vampire Hunter D, since I first viewed the original, long ago. To my dismay, there were no translations to be found ANYWHERE. Years passed & that remained the case...Now, finally, it seems DH is bringing it to our eager shelves. The question is, has anyone picked up a copy & if so, what was your initial impression of it??
"Your father sucks the flaking cocks of lepers in the lowest circle of HELL!!!"

..."Does he swallow?" ~Hellblazer

"Imagination is intelligence with an erection"~Victor Hugo

"Life is a disease...Sexually transmitted & fatal"~Neil Gaiman
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Theres a vampire hunter manga....Thats news to me.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I thought D is a novel series, 17 books or something like that...

There is supposed to be a 1 volume manga version of the first D movie, but I couldn't find its translation. This manga is based on the movie, not the other way around, so it might be called movie sketchbook maybe XD
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

I didn't know anything existed novel/book wise...
I am without a home and in that I find my place in it all.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

1st one should be out there on the shelves already. I remember reading something like movies being adaptations of 1st and the 3rd novels.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Yeah I only know of the novel but don't know where to find it.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I checked Amazon and the 1st vol is pretty cheap as expected
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Just saw the 2 Movies, I never knew there was a manga or Book. I'll have to check it out, D rocks!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

RedEyes wrote:I checked Amazon and the 1st vol is pretty cheap as expected
1st vol of the manga or the novel?

EDIT:

I saw in DH site that there will be 13 vols of the manga vol 2 is out august 11 2005. this manga is written before the movie the mangaka started writing them in 1983.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

novel with few illustrations in it, not manga. here is a scanned page from the first one:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/V ... 01xt01.jpg
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

So there is no manga which is a shame.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Better late than never...

Yeah, I'd originally expected it would be released in a manga format, here in the US. But goddamn am I happy it wasn't! Nothing against manga, but I'd wanted the novels (supposedly there are 22 by now) since I first saw the anime in '80 something...to no avail. It's ridiculous that it took this damn long to be released, but I'm not complaining. I've bought it & read it, in one day & it's absolutely great. The anime of course, pales in comparison...but agh, now I have to wait til Sept. for the 2nd >.<

Don't be discouraged, the novel does the story more justice than a manga could. Much more detail & there actually are a few illustrations by Amano, so it's tasty. Pick it up, D is teh sex! lol

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I would like it it was a manga cause D looked so damn cool in the anime.

But books are my nr.2 hobby after manga so i'm gonna get this because i wanna know how thing goes for D.

Is the story similer to anime? I mean its D going after vamps just like the anime?
Last edited by Libaax on Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Yeah, pretty similar. Actually book 1 generally carries the story that the original anime carried...Just fleshed out much better. The story is greatly expanded upon, as can be expected, & you really get a feel for the characters. One thing that I missed most from the anime, is the lack of insight into who D & the others really were. The first book doesn't get horribly into his history, but you get a better feel for him, personality wise, etc. Doris & Dan actually take the stage as the main characters, as far as that goes. But it's great to see Rei-Ginsei, Greco & the others, in full bloom. Rei is a great villain in his own right...The anime did him little to no justice. Still, D reigns supreme heh.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Heh thats great thats what i wanted to hear about the book.
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Yes yes...very much worth the $8.95. Buy it up, if for no other reason than 'D' is teh SEX. LOL

RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Starlore wrote:Yes yes...very much worth the $8.95. Buy it up, if for no other reason than 'D' is teh SEX. LOL
I don't care, as D is a male .lol. but I'll be glad to spend some money if you know a manga / anime where a female char is teh sex. My favorite so far is Seras from Hellsing

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/V ... -07-11.jpg

hmmm, she is yummy...
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Hmm, actually, I've been meaning to nag you newbie style about your avatar...pretty boys sprinkled w/blood are teh SEX! LOL. Ok, really, I'm done mocking that phrase into the ground now..

Yeah Seras is ok, but there are TOO many hot chicks in manga & anime to even count. Its absurd. Doris, in Vampire Hunter D is made out to be damn near a Goddess...apparently much much more than the homely girl she was portrayed as in the original anime. Tho there's a sad lack of Amano's illustrations (there are a few, but not nearly enough if you ask me), you catch a darkly shaded glimpse of her early on...but don't get your hopes up, your imagination will have to do most of the work, as the illustrations are very dark & details are lost.

Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Starlore wrote:Yes yes...very much worth the $8.95. Buy it up, if for no other reason than 'D' is teh SEX. LOL
I agree. D rocks, he is my No. 2 after Guts.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I'm glad you like the ava xP The original pic had extreme amount of blood and I edited it a bit. The original pic is at http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~solid/e04/04-12-27.html This site is by far the best (Hellsing) fanart site I've ever seen. If you're into bloody-pretty boys, make sure you check the Hellsing gallery at http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~solid/e-new/e.html

Yea, you're right. Too many hot chicks around, it's even getting boring after a while. I kind of like the the tough & mysterious ones. My fav from the D movies is Leila, she should be in the 3rd book...

OK, that does it, after all these posts, I'll buy the 1st book tomorrow. BTW, where is your ava from, -no wonder- I like the redeyes :wink:

* EDIT * D is really cool, but my favorite one is Alucard - simply because of the mistress Integral, chained monster Alucard relationship going on. Otherwise, I admit that Alucard is ridiculously powerful, making him kind of boring
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

Ooooh thanks for the links, they definately do have some nice stuff up there..

You're right, Leila is in the 3rd book, from what I know...She's a tough gal alright, but she irked me much in Bloodlust (it couldn't be helped, she was being such a pain in the ass to my 'D'...er...). Yeah, but I think my fave tough gal is Motoko Kusanagi. I've had a fetish for her since I saw the original GITS. She's major eyecandy now, but it was always about her demeanor moreso than anything else, I think.

My avatar is actually a fan render taken from a Lineage 2 poster. I tinkered w/the eyes in Photoshit, w/the gross lack of skill I have lol!

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Redeyes: the site is really cool, but damn you should have left the blood in. Either way, ive always liked your avs. And since your soo good at editing and what not. Why not do an old pal a favor and edit one quiky for me :D .
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Buzkashi:
I don't know man, I thought it might be a bit bloody to use as an ava. I've prepared a nice Alucard ava & sig combo, and I'm not gonna edit them this much.

Starlore:
Ok, Ok, I won't favor gals who mistreated your D ;) I have the book now, I'm going to start reading it tonight. Do you like vampire/undead literature & movies in general or just Vampire Hunter (and couple of others)?

Nice choice; Motoko is a major hottie. Masamune Shirow knows his job. I know that you're not just talking about the looks, but I'll still post some pages from Masamune Shirow Calendars:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/V ... 200009.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/V ... 200307.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/V ... 200412.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/V ... 200402.jpg

don't over-criticize yourself. Your ava is cool and smexy & redeye thingy is not that bad...
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

AGH damn post got eaten >.< bleah

Anyway...

You have good taste kid! Thrilling is great stuff, got a good chunk of it on my HD....The 3rd link you posted, is one of my faves. I'd had plans to work it into a sig' or avatar, but Photoshit hates me, so it didn't happen.

By the way, have you seen the Gal Grease or Hell Hound posterbooks yet? If not, DO so, hehe.

I like 'some' Vampire stuff. Depends on the material, but overall, the 'typical' stuff, I don't get into much. White-Wolf does a knock-up job w/World of Darkness (tho Kindred of the East & Werewolf are my faves, the Vamps aren't half bad). 'D' is an exception from the norm for me. But he's genuinely earned it.

Here's a present...My original avatar pic (before stupid Photoshit decided not to let me do what I wanted w/it, ugh!)

Warning: Wallpaper largeness & boobies, ahead.

Enjoy

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/S ... dtiger.jpg

RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

OMG! Maya Natsume is out of this world hottie. Maya is the reason why I ever read Tenjou Tenge. Aya is also good, but as I said I prefer the tough ones. BTW you don't need to warn me for boobies, I'm holding myself not to post hentai versions of Shirow calendars :wink:

the reason why I asked is I would like to read some non-manga stuff about vampires/undead but I'm picky and wanted to get some names.

I'll definitely try to find Gal Grease and Hell Hound posterbooks :insert curiosity emoticon:

what was your ava plan with that pic? I might help you if what you think is not too complex.