Dead Leaves

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Dead Leaves

Post by Femto »

How many of you know about this awesome movie?
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

Not me, mind filling us in?
I am without a home and in that I find my place in it all.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Just buy it/leech it/borrow it/whatever, get your hands on it and see it. It's what anime should be, not lame/gh3y stories about pretty and silent teenagers full of angst and dram4, but stylized, crazy, over-the-top shit.

I highly recommended it. Here are the covers from the american and japanese DVDs taken from amazon:

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B0 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

Leeching it is.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Are there spinal deaths with lasereye ninja pirates(best guild ever)
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

Femto wrote: ... stylized, crazy, over-the-top shit.
The way you explain and posters reminded me of FLCL :)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

RedEyes wrote:The way you explain and posters reminded me of FLCL :)
It's funny you mention that, because the guy that recommended Dead Leaves to me is an FLCL lover. I haven't seen FLCL myself though.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

You have to watch it. It is one of the most stylized, crazy, over-the-top shit out there. It is a 6 episode OVA.

I've checked the AnimeNFO and the production studio for FLCL and this one is the same !!
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

Erk, don't do it man, FLCL will make your sight go... Its like looking into the ARK of the Covenenant; only the crazies should do it.

EDIT: Ok, so maybe that was a bit impolitic, but seriously FLCL made me want to hurt things... and people. Mostly whoever made it and whatever equipment was used... and if Dead Leaves is on the same tangent, I'm out.
Last edited by martyr3810 on Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I haven't seen FLCL yet, but I have heard lots of recommedations for it and also some people trashing it. I guess you can either love it or hate it. I presume if you did enjoy FLCL, then Dead Leaves would be perfect for viewing, and vice versa.

Yeah, I checked the animenfo as well, the design/director of Dead Leaves is the same person responsible for the animation in FLCL. That could explain the same style and the similarities both anime share.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Well, I saw the first FLCL episode and, visually at least, Dead Leaves is so much more different. It uses strong blacks against flat colors and is much more simplistic and coherent IMO. FLCL looks like generic anime from what I saw and that was a turn-off for me. Dead Leaves is different and, even though it's limited animation (mostly keys with no animation in between and lots of cycles), it's very over-the-top and intense. There's some awesome character designs in there too. I mean, how can you not love a guy that has an old-school TV for a head and is called Retro?

Everyone should give it a try at least. If you don't like it, you can always come back to bitch at me for having bad taste. :D
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

Sounds like FLCL with a graphics upgrade and more interesting characters hm.

Meh, put aside my bias for now... Back to leeching it... Now just to remember where I found it lol.
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

As Eldo said, most of the people either say FLCL is great or they hate it. As FLCL is intense, it is hard to stay neutral. I liked the creativity & energy in the anime and the crazy character Haruko.

At the end, it's a matter of taste and I'm happy to find a somewhat similar anime. 10 more min and I'll be done with leeching :)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Post your comments when you're done. :D

It's a quick movie too, it just flies by. I guess it's more of an OVA technically but meh, details.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think this is the first time you posted in the anime forum, Femto. :P

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Well I downloaded it but it's a .ogm and .sfv so now i can't play it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I read about it anidb.net and the way they described this anime made wanna download it right now :D
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

Shrug if you need something to play OGM and whatnot grab the core media player (found it when I had the same problem with the Gensoumaden Saiyuki episodes...) >> free, works great etc etc yeah you know the deal >>> http://www.divx-digest.com/software/tcmp.html
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

OGM is awesome. You get freakin' soft subtitles and different audio tracks in the same file for god's sake! I hope you didn't delete it Malvado...

Eldo: Yeah, I rarely venture into the Anime or Manga forums, but I think more people should know about this particular anime, so I conquered my fear and started a new thread here about it after seeing it last night.

I didn't get flamed either. :kekeke:
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:I didn't get flamed either. :kekeke:
Which comes as a bit of a suprise, considering this statement;
Femto wrote:FLCL looks like generic anime from what I saw and that was a turn-off for me.
You don't, ever, nearly-bad-mouth FLCL. Never. :evil:

EDIT: Don't take this too seriously. But FLCL is not generic in any sense of the word. Judging from the DVD covers, Dead Leaves looks like some FLCL-wannabe that didn't dare go all the way. But I will save my definite verdict 'till I'm done leeching it...
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I meant in terms of aesthetics only. As I said, I haven't seen all of it, so I can't say if it's good or bad.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Ok. I suppose. While the actual concepts may not be that far out, the animation often is... You'll see, and should have already.
Anyway, .ogm is the shit. Too bad they often come with an english track and not just soft subtitles- I often have to endure a couple of seconds of a relentlessly agonizing dub before I manage change it to japanese.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I dont have a clue what OGM is but can i play played it with VLC or classic media player?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

They can if you download the correct codec.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

You basically just need codecs, I think. VobSub and FFDShow and the like. Try DivX-Digest or google it.