Dangu and other Manhwas

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Whats Chunchu about?

Is it sword action ala Ares,Dangu?
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Yeah, heres a little intro

Chunchu was framed by his brother to be the demon child, he is cursed by the demon's curse and everywhere he goes means blood and death to the people around him, he was sent by his father, the king, to the Myrmidon tribe, a tribe whos only purpose is fighting, to die on the field. Instead of dying he turns out to be one of the 5 Myrmidons survivors after so much battles. While he was growing on the battlefield, his demon brother became king and wants Chunchu dead. While fighting all the assasins he also has to fight against his curse which ends up slowly killing everyone he knew.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Hmm interesting.

Sounds like just the reason i like Manhwas.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Pergatory
Mastered PM

Post by Pergatory »

just so u guys know volume 4 of dangu is now out, unfortunatly they said its now licensed and they migh not keep carrying it so i suggest any of u who like this manga email nextgear and tell them its worth it.
The Sea At Night Time Makes Me Shiver...If You Stare At It...It Feelis Like You'll Get Swallowed...Into The Depth Of This Dark Wave... Image
Finito

Post by Finito »

I had already read v4 at the store(in french), I love Dangu, but nexgear is too slow at releasing anyway.

About some other manhwas, MangaFreak is about to restart some projects, their is a poll in their forum about which one they should revive, I doubt they will reach 100 votes without some advertising so heres a link to the thread. Go vote now! Zombie Hunter!
http://mangafreak.monkey-pirate.com/ind ... topic=80.0
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Finito what's the name of Dangu in french? Couldn't find it. So annoying that they feel compelled to rename the manga/manhwa, usually in a retarded way. It may means the same thing, but it sounds just cooler in the original language (Like Dangu will become Shaman Warrior in english...Well I guess this one is not too bad). Took me some time to figure out the name of SAO, but for Dangu I'm at a loss.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Lol, pretty simple, its Dangoo :P in French published by Soleil editions.

Edit: "gu" in french and english have the same pronounciation, "goo" also has the same pronounciation in french and english, dont know why they diverged in its translation...
Last edited by Finito on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Alright thanks, I'll look into it.
Edit: is it the same editor as Angel Heart? They're thiefs man, thiefs!
Finito

Post by Finito »

Nah not the same lol, Angel Heart in French is Angel Heart :lol: ...
The editor is Marvel Panini France, Generation Comics collection.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Ah man i have missed Dangu.

Nexgear sucks bigtime i mean now that HXH is slow, Dangu is the only good series that have and still they cant realese more often.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

For what I've read here and there, it's the serie itself that is slow, and relatively young too. Seems that they only work with the volumes scans too. At least their releases are top notch.

EDIT: some posters at DP suggested that this serie is planned to be 16 vol long. Dunno if it's legit info but it's a good length if you ask me, especially if you consider all that happend up until vol4.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I hate groups that wait for volume scans when they have the choice of weekly scans. Cause they dont understand we dont care about MQ or HQ as long as it isnt too LQ.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Don't misunderstood, I assumed most of it, but the scans definitively look like book scans. And the fact that they got the whole vol out at once suggest it.

I tried to locate the raws just to figure out if the group was just slow or if the raws were just not too far ahead, but didn't succeed (well, I just looked into UR-DAN, as I don't know any other place :shock: ). Guess manhwas are more difficult to obtain than mangas. Do you know how much ahead the raws are?

EDIT: to answer your question, maybe they just don't want to bother with this shit called cleaning, as books scans require close to none. :P
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

My fav Manwhas are Priest(Obviously), Island and King of hell(Altho the last one did turn kind of repetetive with only fighting after a while so i stopped reading it. Bet alot of you guys in this thread would love it tho ;) )

Also, there is a long list of manwhas on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ma ... lish_title

Most titles could use more (or any) info.

Ive read many other manwhas(ok maybe not that many but still) but except for Rebirth none has had me captured for more than an issue or two. Wich i think is sad because most had realy excelent art.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Have you read Shin Angyo Onishi,Change Guy?

There are so many great manwhas you should try all of the manhwas you see in scan or book form.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

Well i just downloaded the first four volumes of Shin Angyo Onishi because i love the creators so much.
Will probably start reading them tomorrow.

I usualy tend to stay away from mangas/manwhas that is more than ten issues because they often turn into pure fight fests.(I dont mind lots of fighting in a comicbook but there is a limit.) The big two exceptions are Priest and Berserk for their great stories.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

You know there are long manwhas that arent only fights.

Ares is the best shonen and sword action there is and its 13+ vols.

Change Guy is mostly fights and 30 vols but still great.

Most manhwas are long so dont miss out on them just cause they arent short.

Island would have been one of my manhwa/mangas if it was longer damn thec creators for destroying it like they did :evil:
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

So far the only manwha that i read is Warcraft: The Sunwell trilogy but i always was interested in picking up Priest, heard good things about it.
What do you guys think?
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Priest is in my top ten Manga list so i would recomend it highly.

Also its out in book by Tokyopop so you dont have to wait for crappy scans.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I´ll check it out then, thanks Libaax.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Dont forget telling us what you think about it.

I wonder if you will like the diffrent art specially for a manhwa.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

I think the art in Priest is some of the best ever. DSure it is sketchy. But thats the point. It has a drawing style that no other comicbook has ever had(well maybe som of that creators other comics have had it, idunno). Originality is a good thing. And dont you forget it.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

I have the first volume of Priest, but I wasn't impressed very much with the characters and story... Does it get better later on? :)
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

Hello fellow segal fan.

The first two issues are pretty much just action. Its first in the third book that the story realy starts developing. (the first two books are in the middle of the story. Kindof like the first 3 vols of berserk was.)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

ddem1 wrote:I have the first volume of Priest, but I wasn't impressed very much with the characters and story... Does it get better later on? :)
You cant judge any story by the first part, its just introducing characters,often it takes a little time before the story starts appearing.