Berserk Stupid theories

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

is this thread useful?

Yes
51%
No
15%
You should die Dark for reviving this shit
34%

Total votes: 248

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk Stupid theories

Post by The Herald »

Vivioch wrote: She might have survived that fight without the hawks help but the point still remains that if you are exhausted then you are basically shit out of luck and jolly well fucked (its funny because she was nearly raped).
That was really bad taste, even for a forum dude.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Vivioch
imanewbie

Post by Vivioch »

Last edited by Vivioch on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lara Skadi
notanewb

Post by Lara Skadi »

Vivioch wrote:It doesnt matter how talented you are with a sword if you cant swing it. Recall when Casca ran from Adons group and was nearly killed by 3 absolutely pathetic soldiers. She might have survived that fight without the hawks help but the point still remains that if you are exhausted then you are basically shit out of luck and jolly well fucked (its funny because she was nearly raped). What about the time when Guts nearly got taken out by some of those weak ass spirits that were defeated by Puck? Now more than ever you need endurance in a fight. I dont think a girl who has spent her last 3 years spilling food on herself has much in terms of fighting stamina, whereas Isidro has spent much of his life running, throwing, stealing, and fighting. Additionally, hes been training a lot with Guts, Azan, tiger and crocodile pischacha, trolls, various astral spirits summoned by the brand, apostles, and pseudo apostles. This is very different from the vast amount of experience Casca has in killing humans which is becoming less and less useful what with the dragons, giants, and hydras roaming about.
Just because Isidro has been training a lot lately against the ones they should fear most right now, it still doesn't exclude the fact she's a better swordsman than he is - and that can't be argued. He obviously knows more about them then her (common attacks etc), but she'll eventually know about them too (and when she does it, she'll most probably know what to do better then he does). Remember in vol 23 (i guess) when she, despite her mental state, was able to kill those three guys that were all over her, with their own weapon? And they probably weren't Farnese-like, that only has a sword to show she has one. You can't discard her skills so easily. (yeah, Casca for president! :evil: hahaha :lol: )
About the stamina, yeah, you're right, she'll get tired more easily - but the only way to recover that is either fighting or practicing (or farming a lot XP), what gets back to the point of fighting because she can be usefull.
Plus, it wouldn't be a bit practical or interesting if she couldn't do what she does best when they need it, even if she doesn't make all that difference like Guts or Schierke.
Vivioch
imanewbie

Post by Vivioch »

Just because Isidro has been training a lot lately against the ones they should fear most right now, it still doesn't exclude the fact she's a better swordsman than he is - and that can't be argued. He obviously knows more about them then her (common attacks etc), but she'll eventually know about them too (and when she does it, she'll most probably know what to do better then he does). Remember in vol 23 (i guess) when she, despite her mental state, was able to kill those three guys that were all over her, with their own weapon? And they probably weren't Farnese-like, that only has a sword to show she has one. You can't discard her skills so easily. (yeah, Casca for president! :evil: hahaha :lol: )
About the stamina, yeah, you're right, she'll get tired more easily - but the only way to recover that is either fighting or practicing (or farming a lot XP), what gets back to the point of fighting because she can be usefull.
Plus, it wouldn't be a bit practical or interesting if she couldn't do what she does best when they need it, even if she doesn't make all that difference like Guts or Schierke.
Its not as if I expect her to sit on her ass and watch everything happen for the rest of the manga. Obviously over time she will build strength and grow accustomed to fighting these creatures. However, I believe it will take a significant amount of time. The point about Isidro is that he has experience coming into this major event and already has the stamina to fight for a long time. In all likelihood the astral beings Guts is going to be fighting will be very powerful and Casca doesnt even know the basics. She can learn about elementals, astral beings, silver, etc.. but there is an overwhelming amount of information shell have to process and learn to apply in combat. Even if she knew all of this already, what happens when she gets exhausted and the things just keep getting worse (which tends to happen a lot)? It would be better for Casca to conserve her stamina, maybe guard Schierkes body, so she can avoid dying when battles inevitably get out of control.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Vivioch wrote:
Its not as if I expect her to sit on her ass and watch everything happen for the rest of the manga. Obviously over time she will build strength and grow accustomed to fighting these creatures. However, I believe it will take a significant amount of time. The point about Isidro is that he has experience coming into this major event and already has the stamina to fight for a long time. In all likelihood the astral beings Guts is going to be fighting will be very powerful and Casca doesnt even know the basics. She can learn about elementals, astral beings, silver, etc.. but there is an overwhelming amount of information shell have to process and learn to apply in combat. Even if she knew all of this already, what happens when she gets exhausted and the things just keep getting worse (which tends to happen a lot)? It would be better for Casca to conserve her stamina, maybe guard Schierkes body, so she can avoid dying when battles inevitably get out of control.
Two points I think are worth considering. First, it's possible that Caska will retain her memories of the last few years (the time she's basically been mindless) in which case she would already have all of the information on astral beings, fighting methods, and so on, because she'll have been right there with them as they were learning it. Second, you seem to be assuming that they'll get into battle the moment she regains her mind. If they hang around on Elfheim for a bit, say a month, she could probably regain most of her strength/stamina if she worked at it. For that matter, depending on how long the sea trip is, she might be able to regain quite a bit of it just be exercising on board the ship. These "handicaps" aren't necessarily as insurmountable a problem as you seem to think.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i think that the island is going to be a total clusterfuck, casca won't get healed, she'll just have to grow up again normally, if a child's mentality is what she has, and guts will be reminded that he's fucked and he'll never have it easy. ever. again. what i mean by clusterfuck is that the island is barren and then the first thing they see will be a bad monster type thing
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

it is really all up to how the author want to write the stuff of course but being there and not really paying attention is not very productive to learning ANYTHING. and it has been along time since see has done any sort of fighting not to mention exercise. it takes alot of training to get back in form, but it would not be very unbelievable for her to hold her own, i'm just saying she would have a long way to go before being back in her top form.

(not to mention inthis time she has had a child kind of, although im not sure how much that could effect the female body but it is another possibly pertinent fact)

i would be suprised if things went well on the elf island. but then again maybe the author will make it go ok just for that fact ( especially after all this stuff with Griffith i foresee some nice action/ character development)
Vivioch
imanewbie

Post by Vivioch »

Two points I think are worth considering. First, it's possible that Caska will retain her memories of the last few years (the time she's basically been mindless) in which case she would already have all of the information on astral beings, fighting methods, and so on, because she'll have been right there with them as they were learning it.
I definitely overlooked the first point. Though if she does retain her memory she might become preoccupied with crippling embarrasment :lol:.
Second, you seem to be assuming that they'll get into battle the moment she regains her mind. If they hang around on Elfheim for a bit, say a month, she could probably regain most of her strength/stamina if she worked at it. For that matter, depending on how long the sea trip is, she might be able to regain quite a bit of it just be exercising on board the ship. These "handicaps" aren't necessarily as insurmountable a problem as you seem to think.
I do assume theyll fight soon after. I expect them to fight before reaching Elfhelm, while on Elfhelm before meeting Hanafubuku, and after meeting Hanafubuku. I tend to assume that things wont go smoothly in Berserk because things rarely do go smoothly. Just because the residents of Elfhelm are powerful doesnt mean they are fully prepared for the consequences of the worlds merging.

She can workout on the boat, but she doesnt yet possess the forethought to. Besides, running and swinging a sword strengthen very different muscles. How would Casca know what areas to workout and why if she doesnt know how to fight?
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

Vivioch wrote:Bad taste? I alluded a Carlin joke using another unrelated Carlin joke within the context of Berserk. Regardless, Ill try to tone it down in the future. I shouldnt have written it in the first place as this is only further derailing the topic =/.
the ultimate weather forecast: "The weather... will continue to change, on and off, for a long long time."
"Never dance with a girl who's older brothers have knife scars." - Matrim Cauthon
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

it wasn't funny because it was about rape, and rape's never funny
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?
Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.
Hedley Lamarr: You said rape twice.
Applicant: I like rape.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

She can workout on the boat, but she doesnt yet possess the forethought to. Besides, running and swinging a sword strengthen very different muscles. How would Casca know what areas to workout and why if she doesnt know how to fight?
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that she could exercise on the boat on the way back from Elfheim, as they return to the continent. And if you really, really work at it, you can develop a surprising degree of strength/endurance in a couple of months. It's all in how motivated you are. I don't mean to say that she could be back in perfect condition in that amount of time, but at least enough not to be slowing anyone down/being a burden would be entirely possible/realistic.

Also bear in mind that Caska (like Guts) has the brand and so has been half in the astral world for years now. That might influence things as well.
Vivioch
imanewbie

Post by Vivioch »

Istvan wrote:Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that she could exercise on the boat on the way back from Elfheim, as they return to the continent. And if you really, really work at it, you can develop a surprising degree of strength/endurance in a couple of months. It's all in how motivated you are. I don't mean to say that she could be back in perfect condition in that amount of time, but at least enough not to be slowing anyone down/being a burden would be entirely possible/realistic.

Also bear in mind that Caska (like Guts) has the brand and so has been half in the astral world for years now. That might influence things as well.
Well, it is a little too early to say if they will return by boat. Its fairly possible the people of Elfhelm have a faster means of travelling that is much safer than the ocean. Guts ability to move over water is severely limited and if all the nightmares that have haunted sailors subconscious' for centuries are to materialize, they could wind up shipwrecked.

If Casca really works at it then eventually she might be able to fight effectively, but how many significant events (and dozens of chapters) are going to occur in those couple months? Not to mention Miuras frequent breaks. I just dont see her killing much for quite awhile
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

She may not have atrophied as much as you think. Remember when Casca, that one girl and Isidro were trying to get down the side of a cliff while Gutts fought the goat monster? The rope snapped and she hopped down with no apparent strain.
Vivioch
imanewbie

Post by Vivioch »

Mail wrote:She may not have atrophied as much as you think. Remember when Casca, that one girl and Isidro were trying to get down the side of a cliff while Gutts fought the goat monster? The rope snapped and she hopped down with no apparent strain.
Im sure Erica walked Casca around and didnt keep her cooped up in the mine all the time. We also know she can walk long distances and probably has to run on occasion. Her leg muscles likely havent atrophied much (some of them might even be stronger considering she doesnt ride a horse anymore), but that does little to help her use a sword. Her arms, chest, back, etc have not been used to exert large amounts of force for any prolonged period of time. Though Im not sure how much the lower body is used in wielding a sword, walking or jumping dont necessarily build the same muscles as those needed to perform the maneuvers Casca used to be capable of doing.
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

I also feel I should bring this up.... Casca wasn't even that good to begin with. Between Guts, Griffith, and her, she was ranked 3rd. And that was back in the day when they were just ordinary people. That was back in the day with Gutz was a wussy, at least compared to the Guts now. So, even if Casca didn't lose much muscle mass, even if she didn't lose any of her talent. She still would not even come close to comparing with Guts or Griffith.

The only thing that allows Serpico and Ishidori to even compete as underdogs, are the magical weapons they have. If they didn't have the magic relics, they'd be troll poop right now.
"Never dance with a girl who's older brothers have knife scars." - Matrim Cauthon
tsubaimomo

Post by tsubaimomo »

Casca will call upon their
powers in times of great peril.

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Born_Loser wrote:I also feel I should bring this up.... Casca wasn't even that good to begin with. Between Guts, Griffith, and her, she was ranked 3rd. And that was back in the day when they were just ordinary people. That was back in the day with Gutz was a wussy, at least compared to the Guts now. So, even if Casca didn't lose much muscle mass, even if she didn't lose any of her talent. She still would not even come close to comparing with Guts or Griffith.

The only thing that allows Serpico and Ishidori to even compete as underdogs, are the magical weapons they have. If they didn't have the magic relics, they'd be troll poop right now.
And the reason that Caska can't get a magical weapon of her own is...what again? I mean, they are going to Elfheim which has (apparently) numerous wizards and witches on it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Honestly I think some of you might be underestimating Casca's skill a little bit. Sure she's got some catching up to do, but I think if she regains her memories, she could become a real asset to the team in just a short amount of time, especially if she gets some magical gear of her own. This is a manga after all, even though it's more realistic than some, I just don't see her needing months of exercise to get back into shape. Remember how she freaked out and slaughtered those thieves that were trying to rape her? They stood no chance, even in her current state. I think she could easily take Isidro, even now, if she had her sanity. Remember when she killed Adon, not that he was any good, but she displayed some pretty impressive agility then. Sure she's no match for Gatts or Griffith, but who is really, besides perhaps one of the greater apostles? She'd kick Farnese's ass three ways to Sunday. Farnese can't really fight. The only thing she has going for her is magic, and she's still a beginner at that. Give Casca her memories back, and a little time to knock the rust off (it's like riding a bike after all), and I think she'll be kicking ass in no time, if that's the route she decides to take anyway. Also, that's not counting any kind of mental recovery she might need time to take, we'll just have to wait and see. Will she instantly be okay, or will she go into a deep depression and start pushing everyone away. We don't really know how she'll react, but I think she could get back into things relatively quickly if she decides to. Oh yeah, she caught that bird too, pretty impressive if you think about it. Have any of you ever caught a seagull with your bare hands? :P
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Birds just love magical and retarded people. Duh.
papasith

Post by papasith »

so here is a stupid theory for you. caska get her memories back and realizes she loves Farnese for takeing care of her for so long
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

Or maybe she's love ishidori, since he's not big, strong, nor demonic. You know... non-threatening sexual contact.

Caska was good when she beat Adon... but if you were to guage her skill and strength against Guts and Griffith, even in the beginning. We'll just go ahead and chalk Gutz and Griffith up as 10/10. Caska was about a 6, or 7 at very best. It's like... in Claymore. You had those original 14(I think it was 14...) chicks, and they were super-powerful. And then that one chick explained that the difference in power between #14 and #15 was like an ocean. It's like that with Gutz, Griffith, and Caska.

Now, I did a little thinking about the magical weapon stuff. My thoughts are.... magical relics aren't just lying around everywhere. Maybe Scherike is strong enough to make one, but I dont know. I really don't know a whole lot about how the Magic works in the story. I got the basic concept down, but some of the details are kinda blurry. I'm not the sharpest light in the shed.
tsubaimomo

Post by tsubaimomo »

Well having a fairy around can help out in the magic department, and there's bound to be large clusters of them on Elf Island, so Casca can just grab one up! But then every other character and their seagull will have a fairy. Puck can even have one too... Still, a fairy isn't the same as having a weapon to wield, but I'm sure those will be lying all over the place. See, the way I figures it, after all their struggles in Virtanis and this upcoming battle on the high seas, the party deserves a big sparkling treasure chest. And, just as in so many RPGs, you always get a ton of good items before fightin' the final boss! I don't really know what expect, but with Berserk, my expectations are always high as the sky, but they always seem low in comparison to the real deal. Go Berserk!
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Of course, after the Great Big Astral Splosion, magical weapons might not be as uncommon and special as they were before. For all we know, ALL weapons are magical now. We know so little of what that thing actually did, it's too big an X factor to really make any good predictions.

This has probably been brought up before, but how about this: there's got to be some reason, plotwise, why Guts has been carrying that Behelit around for so long. A writer like Miura doesn't set up a Chekhov's Gun like that unless he means to fire it off. It's unlikely that Guts is meant to use it for reasons too various to get into here. What if Casca does?
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Casca can't use the behelit for the same reason that Gatts can't, they're both sacrifices, and it's already been stated in the story before that once you've been offered as a sacrifice, you can't use a behelit. I think it'll be used for something or someone else.