Vagabond

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

I can see him getting drunk and fucking bitches again. No for real, hes an unexpected factor in the story, he could actually do anything to surprise us and the author is keeping him alive for that.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've finally come up to date with Vagabond again, and I'm surprised how little happened in the three whole volumes that I had missed up to now. The pace is really terribly slow, but then it's good to take time sometimes.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I kind of know what you mean. Hopefully it picks back up soon. ;)
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Well he just jumped right into the middle of a group of Yoshika elites, and chucked a rock at one of them. How's that for a pick-up. :)
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I wonder what is going to happen in that love triangle?? Kind of weird that he would be thinking about that will doing his intel :D
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That's true, but Musashi's always had a hard time not thinking about Otsu. I hate to say it, but Matahachi deserved that other black eye. Anyway, this really is the best course for Musashi. He should be able to take these guys, but I'm thinking it's going to be an awesome fight. I can't wait.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

how many people have we seen Tanezo (SP?) fight? I forget, I remeber on the battle field they face a lot of horse men but I cant recall how many... going to have to dig to find this one :evil:

Well new chapter out the only thing I can say is that Tanzeo might have his work cut out for him one way or another :twisted:
Lungs
notanewb

Post by Lungs »

When the fuck're we gonna see more chapters/volumes released?

Alternatively, have there been any new releases that have taken a route, of which I'm unaware, because I'm sitting still on volume 25; chapter 221 and it's been weeks... months, even.

THERE is going to be a 70 MAN brawl with Tazeko as the target. Jesus, that's cool.
zindryr
imanewbie

Post by zindryr »

The latest chapter is 224 and yes, the later chapters take a fun route.

Sadly, there's going to be a break until March, 22nd before chapter 225 will come out.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

New Chapters were just released 225,226 and 227... I found them on http://www.Mangahelpers.com
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Well today I am about to read the first volume.
I am really looking forward to read it.
Though I am curious: how accurate does the manga portray Musashi and his historical journey?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Mm, the new chapters were hawt. I can't wait to see more.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

I read the first nine chapters of Vagabond and so far it has been, at least to me, somewhat slow. Well that is to be expected from a manga with so many Volumes (you do not want to rush the story). The art design is quite different than what I have come across. It looks very realistic (just one glance at the women would suggest the realistic representation the artist was trying to achieve). It certainly differs the usual look one receives in Manga's/Anime's.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I really like that aspect of it actually. It makes the art very detailed it seems, like in Berserk.
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

Vagabond is kinda like Berserk in that it reads better in large chunks, where the occasionally glacial pace is more appropriate. When you're waiting 4-8 weeks between 16-page chunks, you want each dose to be really filling. I think this is one reason why serials like One Piece and Naruto do so well, their pace is much more rapid (though I think their content is less rich than in books like Vagabond and Berserk).
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

inkthinker wrote:Vagabond is kinda like Berserk in that it reads better in large chunks, where the occasionally glacial pace is more appropriate. When you're waiting 4-8 weeks between 16-page chunks, you want each dose to be really filling. I think this is one reason why serials like One Piece and Naruto do so well, their pace is much more rapid (though I think their content is less rich than in books like Vagabond and Berserk).
Very true

Well the new chapter is out and holy shit this fight is the best yet... so hurry up and get to the current stuff J/K

take your time you will get there soon enough.

Edit: 229 is out... I wonder how many chapters its going to take to cut all these Guys down??

Edit: 230 and 231 are outs he is still swinging away, but he picked up his third injury :shock: so I wander how long he is going to last???

Edit: 232 is out and he has finally draw his own sword, instead of robbing dead guys of theirs :lol: but now he is going up against the skilled people hope he has enough stamina for the big endding :twisted:
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Vagabond

Post by Starnum »

Am I the only one being greatly impressed by Musashi vs. The Yoshioka 70? This battle is freaking awesome, the art is amazing, and the depiction of Musashi's form is breath-taking. The way he moves and counters, it's genius. Of course we're seeing his nitouryu as well, a famous Musashi trademark. He would block with his kodachi and then counter with his katana. Though he can always evade and use both swords at the same time. Like when we seem him duck forward and dash passed two different attacking foes, avoiding their strikes, and slicing each of them with one of his swords, all at the same time. These are lethal strikes mind you. We see a similar move in the latest chapter, but with just a katana. He dashes past two men, and with one arcing slice, lays open the first guy's stomach, and cuts the other man's artery under his left arm. Killing two foes with one slash, priceless. I mean, this isn't Gatts with the Dragon Slayer here. It was just the fluid movement and lethal precision that was impressive. I also liked the counter at the end. The guy is attacking his back, and he just pivots towards him, narrowly avoiding the blade, and then grabs the guy's arms with his left. You want to talk about some Aikido, Musashi was the best. Then he just slams the bottom of his hilt into the dude's head, probably killed him with that one shot. We're also seeing him use the Isshin technique, of fleeing from a group of foes, and fighting the fastest one who can reach you, one at a time. It's great for Musashi, because he can still take several of them at once. Divide and conquer baby. Yep, the man was a legend. We can only imgaine if he was as bad ass as they say, but so far I haven't heard or seen anything too unbelievable. Just simply amazing and inspiring.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

I love the fight, really great, but if they could remove the random sentimental memories of the people dying to make the fight more detailed, because I think we see a lot of killing strikes which doesn't reflect the skills like it should, we can only guess what happened and it ends up for a lot of the enemies, that Musashi won by speed and sharpness instead of technique.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm pretty sure this battle is based off of historical Japanese events. I had already heard of this battle long before it started in this manga. Though, the way I heard it there were a hundred men. Regardless, we have a single martial-artist defeating around 100 men, in a row. It's real, it's possible; it has and can happen. It's really amazing to think of one man facing a hundred. Not just anyone can do it.

I still want to see Kojiro's Scissor Tail Swallow Strike. Some of the details I've heard about that maneuver are acutally pretty unbelievable. Supposedly Kojiro had a secret duel with a man in the woods. When Korjiro emerged from the woods, he told them that he defeated his opponent with that technique. His foe's body was found severed into pieces, and scattered over a few miles of forest. Who knows what the hell happened there, lol.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, I won't dwell on the historical correctness. Both Inoue and the book the manga is heavily based on are taking large liberties. But that doesn't make the mange any less awesome.

You might also see one thing from this huge fight: The Yoshioka are not trained to fight as a body. Probably any average infantry platoon with spears or Naginata would have cut Mushashi down, but the Yoshioka were all duelists, just like Musashi himself. Fighting within a body and fighting by yourself are totally different things, and unfortunately a nihontou is not ideal for infantry fighting.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You make a good point, however, I still wouldn't count Musashi out so easily. The man was a monster. Ah, I love the naginata. I'm probably more skilled with one of those than I am with a katana.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I just started reading vagabond recently, and I didn't know it was based off of a true story.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Sasaki Kojiro 9 times out of 10 > Miyamoto Musashi

The Drying Pole > A seven foot-long, water-logged oar

Otsu > Caska
Let's put a smile on that face...............
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Yeah Otsu while Caska is umm retarded.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:You make a good point, however, I still wouldn't count Musashi out so easily. The man was a monster. Ah, I love the naginata. I'm probably more skilled with one of those than I am with a katana.
In the actual story toward the end of the fight Musashi was benefitted by a team of warrior monks that entered into the fray. Can't remember the exact reason for why the monks were there or why they joined in, but I know they belonged to a certain sect in that region proficient in martial arts. I assume that it had something to do with taking issue of the one-sided nature of the battle, along with an agenda against the Yoshioka regarding past shady conduct in that region.
Let's put a smile on that face...............