Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

eldur
notanewb

Re: Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Post by eldur »

Hey, I went crazy for the manga because I couldn't watch the whole anime at TV... good luck I couldn't watch chapter 1 and some filling chapters... and the epilogue after the last chapter (didnt noticed)... so the plot for me was so intense.. didnt know anything of cobra man or fake hands... I only watched the Hawks story.

And its a perfect way to become a berserk maniac: "Errr... what happened to this guys!!??" -later- "Woooot???!! The story continues!?? " -orgasm- Nowadays: "Nooooo I have to wait for the next chapter OMFG."

This is my summary of 'Berserk fan: How it was made'
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Nice to meet you, eldur, and welcome to EG. It's always nice to meet another fan.
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Thank you! In fact I've been here for a long time, but didnt register, so I read you many times. Youre like a big family haha.

I've been in Tunisia til sunday, and I was waiting for 302, but it seems ill have to wait more...

P.D.: I didnt see anything but kushans right there in south Tunisia! lol
Shizuka
imanewbie

Post by Shizuka »

i hate being called a newb, but if its worth it to talk about berserk with people who actually know about it and respect it. all i got is my anime friends, and all they talk about is yaoi. i hate yaoi, and i think that berserk yaoi doujinshi is stupid. my friends always ask me to draw yaoi for them because i can, well, draw and i just wont. why do most girls like yaoi? i'm a girl and i hate it. anyways, about berserk (and i guess about yaoi) do you think there is or ever was a homosexual tension between guts and griffith
Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half is physical - Yogi Bera
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

No. I honestly believe that they were just very good friends. The "sexual tension" between them...existed only in the minds of certain fans (mostly fangirls, no offense intended) and cheap jokes.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Istvan wrote:No. I honestly believe that they were just very good friends. The "sexual tension" between them...existed only in the minds of certain fans (mostly fangirls, no offense intended) and cheap jokes.
I concur completely.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Lolicon is the one that I think is really fucked up, even in the non-sexual way. When I see someone's drawing book filled with mostly lolicon my first instinct is to say "what the fuck, man?". Yaoi I can understand because it is done with the perverted intent, two dudes going gay for each other might be interesting (sexy?) for some people, but lolicon is really pushing it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Lolicon is illegal in Canada, yay.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Newbie moment:
I was using the compare anime thing on anime news network, and it had same voice actor in 2 things for a character name "Suran" in Berserk. It took me like 5 minutes of trying to think of minor characters that had a female voice to realize that it was just Suran = Slan.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

War Machine wrote:Lolicon is the one that I think is really fucked up, even in the non-sexual way. When I see someone's drawing book filled with mostly lolicon my first instinct is to say "what the fuck, man?". Yaoi I can understand because it is done with the perverted intent, two dudes going gay for each other might be interesting (sexy?) for some people, but lolicon is really pushing it.
Sadly, I wasn't exactly sure what you were referring to, so I looked it up. Ahem, yeah, I see what you mean there, heh. I'm a boob guy anyway, but I don't even like it when chicks look really young in some animes but they're supposed to be like 16 or 18 or some crap. You're just thinking, whatever man, she looks like a 12 year-old. Yeah, no thanks, I like the more mature looking chicks. It's like, I don't care how old Schierke is, I'll take Tsunade-hime over her any day. XD
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I think you mean "Schierke" Starnum. Either that or some character I've never heard of. :)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Uh, that's what I said? >.>

Hush you! I haven't written her name in a while, sue me! XD

Nah, it's cool. Even I slip up sometimes, but I'm a spelling nazi too, so I corrected it and added the "c", thanks.
Shizuka
imanewbie

Post by Shizuka »

really, lolicon is illegal in canada? in what capacity? that means shotacon is illegal there too, good thing my one friend doesn't have a passport, that's all she draws. it's kind of disturbing.
Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half is physical - Yogi Bera
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Starnum wrote:Uh, that's what I said? >.>

Hush you! I haven't written her name in a while, sue me! XD

Nah, it's cool. Even I slip up sometimes, but I'm a spelling nazi too, so I corrected it and added the "c", thanks.

I am truly disappointed, Starnum.

I mean, yeah, as a spelling nazi you can make mistakes, but failing to correct the errors of others?
You read Slan and fail to jump up with a "I think you meant Slaan"?

Come on dude, thats rock bottom.

May be all that Dragon Ball crap is really starting to get to you.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, yeah right. Slan is fine with me. I say Guts' name as Gatts, the Japanese way, because I think Guts is a stupid name. At least Gatts sounds more like a name. So I don't really like to correct people on their Berserk names anymore. Besides, I originally seen it spelled "Slann" so take your pick. :P
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I personally like Guts better than Gatts, I always found that the second one sounded nasally and not as tough. But with other characters like Schierke, Casca, or Slan who really gives a royal fuck how you spell their names anyways, at least they still sound the same. Berserk is supposed to be medieval right? Well even Shakespeare, the greatest wordsmith of them all, spelled his name like 20 different ways. Comes with the era. Now, in my last name if they even mess up one letter I can't get verified for something legally (which has happened on a report card once in grade 11, that sucked).
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Sounds nasally? Well it depends on how you say it. I say it like the Japanese, with a short "a" like, "Gah-ts". Now if you say "Gats" like cats with a "g", then that sounds funny. The way I say Gatts and the way you say Guts are actually similar, but anyway, the spelling of Casca is important to me because that's what I named my daughter. I think using the C's instead of a "c" and a "k" is more consistent. Also, some people say her name like, "Cah-sca". Which is okay cuz that's how they say it in the anime, but I believe it's actually pronounced "Cass-ca", with a long "a" sound, and that's how my friends and I say it, so that's how we say my daughter's name. I don't really correct people on it too much though since I say Gatts. I think both ways of saying Casca sounds fine. However, I draw the line at Isidro, his name is not Ishidoro. XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

... You named your daughter Casca? Wow, you sure do love Berserk. I think Starnum wins all Berserk related arguments from now on.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Besides being awesome that you named your daughter after a Berserk character, it's just a good name anyways.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, we thought so too, thanks.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

To be clear I'm not judging or anything, I think it's a good name for a kid too. My cousin named his son Link, which was inspired by Zelda, but ultimately is a good name as well. Grffith may be an okay name for a kid too, but not so sure about Guts (or Gatts :P). If I were to take a name from fiction I'd like either Luke (if you don't know where this is from get your head out of the gutter) or Taran (Chronicles of Prydain). Never really thought about what I would name a girl though.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I agree that it's a great name...but does anyone else get the feeling that it also really needs an entry in the "You know you've read too much Berserk when" thread? Or is that just me?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Istvan wrote:I agree that it's a great name...but does anyone else get the feeling that it also really needs an entry in the "You know you've read too much Berserk when" thread? Or is that just me?
Heh, I already made that joke in that thread long ago. So yes, that's how you know when you've read too much Berserk, when you name your offspring after one of the characters. XD
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

You know, if that local chick I did on my vacations to Argentina comes to my house carrying a baby claiming its mine, I will accept the little bastard, even though I used protection, just so I can name him Judeau. Judeau has to live!
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

If you used protection then your chances are very low, so I wouldn't worry. If you do ever have a son though, you are now bound by the wheels of fate to name him Judeau, and if you don't then the apostles will come for you, so don't forget. ;)