Most disturbing image(s) in Berserk (or other manga)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

hsmith
imanewbie

Most disturbing image(s) in Berserk (or other manga)

Post by hsmith »

I was recently rereading the Berserk manga. And, although I've pretty much agreed with everyone else how dark and mature Berserk is, I was still a little astonished at how utterly depraved and horrific some of the images are. For instance, in Volume 11, Chapter 2, pages 2 - 3, we see Wyld's Black Dogs chasing the Hawks with various dismembered body parts of women spiked on pikes. Somtimes just the lower waist, sometimes chopped parts of the same woman on a single pike, Wyld has a woman (minus her legs) impaled through her pelvis.

I've never been an advocate of censorship or anything, and I understand that these images accentuate the maturity and general dread that outlines Berserk. But man, I gotta wonder, is there a line that Berserk crossed, or have I just not noticed it in other manga?

That being said, I reiterate, I still love Berserk and can't reccommend it enough. But after rereading that chapter, I had to share this thought.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

This is not such a bad thread actually, not even close to n00b standards. You should try to introduce yourself to the community before starting a thread so early on though.

I personally don't think it should be branded. What does everybody else think? Brand or not?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I say we let it stay, unless Eldo or someone is in a bad mood (in which case it will be branded no matter what). Berserk has quite a lot of disturbing imagery, and it's part of the thing.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Seriously. I dont really see where this thread will go though. Everyone knows berserk has disturbing imagry. I dont really care though. This thread will die out eventually.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I think the most disturbing scenes are the ones where guts is with all of his friends enjoying life..i mean COME ON how gross is that. but i agree with Buz and Femto, not a bad idea for a thread, but like most of my threads i made, will probably only have a short life span :P
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

this thread is worthy of not being branded, but no one is gonna spend the time searchin and uploadin a bunch of gross pics in berserk
hsmith
imanewbie

Post by hsmith »

Does anyone think that perhaps Miura has exhausted the majority of the human gore, or do you think it remains (and will remain) relatively constant?

Monster/animal gore will be everpresent, but it seems to me as if extreme human mutilation may serve very little purpose in the Berserk's near future.

I was moreso curious what images other people thought were gruesome and what sorts of scenarios people may expect coming up. I should have phrased my original post to promote discussion better.

Lastly, I admit that I have made relatively few posts, but I do have to say that I think the whole noob/veteran hierarchy I see on other sites is a little over-inflated. I understand that maintaining a peer regulation over a forum/community of common interests or passions, but I don't understand why it's necessary to denigrate a new thread posted by a noob unless you believe it's irrelevant or superfluous. That being said, I take no offense and mean no offense to the moderators and other viewers.

Sorry for the long post, and no, I was not expecting people to upload gruesome imagery, but please at least refer to chapter and page.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

It's not a really a n00b/veteran hierarchy as you call it, it's more of a stupid/not stupid situation. When somebody starts a thread with a stupid topic, or asking a question that is already answered in the FAQ, then it will not be looked well upon other members. We've had many of those threads (see Interstice) and, frankly, most of us are tired of it. If somebody comes here and starts a stupid thread with an unreadable first post, then you can sure as hell expect some flaming. It's just the way things work around here.

It's not just starting of a new thread that'll piss most of us off either, but that's just the most common mistake n00bs make. You did the same thing, but you at least took the time to make your post readable and encouraging discussion and it is potentially interesting topic, so it doesn't really bother me in particular. Things are handled depending on what has been done (I'm missing the correct word for that right now), and I've never seen a new member here flamed just for being new, it's usually because of something stupid they've done.

So don't worry, no offence taken and, as you can see, yours wasn't a really long post (wait until you see some of Arresty's) so no need to apologize for that either. :wink:

On-Topic: While the content in Berserk is really violent, I'm pretty sure Miura's scratched the surface of what can be done. It's not really the extremely gory parts that do it for me, because you get used to it after a while and you realize that things are violent because they're violent times and the story itself is very dark. The really brutal moments for me are the ones that have some story behind them. Sure, having trolls exploding out of a woman's womb is horrible, but it doesn't compare to the part when Guts kills Adonis or when Griffith rapes Caska. That has more impact and is thus more shocking IMO.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

berserk has some pretty graphic scenes, but Ichi The Killer has way worse scenes i think. there is also MPD Psycho, which right off the back is pretty messed up, but awsome at the same time. For some reason to me berserk has that fantasy feel, so i kind of disregad the gore, since i know its coming. These other mangas are kind of put in a real world scence and some are just really fucked up lol... argh i need to post one for you guys, buti dont have my mangas on my comp anymore.. ill find them...

edit ok i found a pic from MPD psycho.. (this is most not messed up pic i could fine)

its hard to see from the small pic, but this girl has all her limbs cut off and was put in a cooler chest. the worst part is that she is still alive. she has a fish tank pump, pumping her blood through out her body. this is like the most non messed up thing i could find, some other pics would be spoilers, and i say everyone should give this manga a shot. Its called MPD Psycho.

Bnyce
imanewbie
Location: In a place that seems surreal, but still so real ...

Post by Bnyce »

It always seems ... that whatever the female character theres something sexual behind her ... except maybe Schierke(sp?) but even she got it in for Gutts ... almost every female character at one point

1.Got raped
2.Got their clothes ripped off
3. and super young

it might just be me, but I think Miura has had women trouble , iono ?

Whene Farnese wanted Gutts to lift the sword slowly I was like woah !? okaaaaaaaaaaaay ... or the goat dude with the serpent penis, its not so much the gore but some of that stuff ... with that being said still the best comic/manga I've read hands down ... I'm eagerl awaiting the next chapter as I'm sure you all are too ...............
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Femto wrote:paragraph one says: noobs are usually stupid and start dumbl, inane threads on first post.

you made a thread early on but the thread is atleast a decent thread and you are polite. im guessing the word you were lookign for was precedence.

you are a cool guy welcome aboard :D
heh just wanted to see if that word was precedence :P.

oh and on topic...this manga would probably attract a lot of fetish people. people into the whole bondage sadism kind of thing...heh that would be interesting if people read it for those reasons...
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

If I do post some gore/disgusting pictures from scenes in Berserk, I'll end up posting 3/4 of the manga, heh. I think those scenes are a bit excessive and sometimes unnecessary, but it does fit the mood of the manga quite well. I'd say that the whole sex orgy with the goat scenes and the 'pirkaf's' play war really disturbed me when I first read it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Yeah, the Pirkaf bit was sort of disturbing.

Anyway, the whole Tower of Something (Punishment?) arc is pretty "bad", imo.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

all the torturing and what not..was pretty gruesome. one of the things i find interesting is how different the manga/anime would be censored. I remmber hearing about how people in some asian countries foudn the anime they bought pretty different from the tv series they watched. and was it true that they canceled the anime because it was becoming too violent?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Koroshiya no Ichi was pretty damn whacked out, no doubt, but I think the level of violence and definitely gore is far worse in Berserk. I’ve mentioned this scene before, but I thought it was pretty crazy in Lost Children when Gatts got set on fire. Then he slit open a cocoon bearing a transforming child, and splattered himself in the falling gore to put out the fire. Then he chews on the kid’s intestine, wild stuff.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

disturbing part was when the armor was trying to squeeze out more power source from gutts by twisting his limbs completely around
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

These "extreme images" in my opinion are some of the elements that make Berserk so great. Miura tries to portray horrific scenes without sugar coating it for the younger viewers.

A few sections of the manga come to mind. Such as as has been previously stated the chapters with Wyld and the Black Dogs, and the room designed for the "testing" of faithful and "pagan" alike in the tower (When the woman called out to Mozgus to have God save her child). Where else could you see pictures of womens' breasts being squeezed and pulled away from they bodies? As well as sharp cones being pushed into their pelvic regions.

A couple other sections that I can think of off the top of my head, are the sections where the pregnant women are being lowered into the bound Apostles in order to turn their children into demons. As well as when Caska and Farneze are washed away by the flood while protecting the church from the Trolls, and find an orgy of women being raped by the Trolls, only to have their stomaches burst with their children once they come to term.

But of course, I wouldn't ever consider that Berserk should be censored. Just like everything else that may be shocking or disturbing, you don't have to read it if it greatly disturbs you.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

newbified wrote:These "extreme images" in my opinion are some of the elements that make Berserk so great. Miura tries to portray horrific scenes without sugar coating it for the younger viewers.
Berserk isn't supposed to have any younger readers, so that's kind of a no-brainer. :D
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I got one, in the first Volume when the snake count is running a muck in the town and he spears a boy ripes him in half and drinks his blood...or when Vargas gets caught trying to escape the fat counts castle and he eats his kid whole that was gruesome.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Ahh once i find some Ichi The Killer pics, then you guys will be like.. WTF??!!?
yupachups
notanewb

Post by yupachups »

Guys last time i read a manga that is really ... really unique on its own. you have to read it !!
It 's called "Shamo" ("coq de combat" in french). Before reading it, i tought that Berserk was one of the most violent rated M book. But for those who don't know "shamo" yet, it's really gore, merciless, full of rage... whatever you want in it.

the picth (small spoiler) :
Narushima Ryô is a teenage issued from a good family but he's sent in teenage prison cause he stabbed his parents for an unknown reason.
The guy is so skiny and shy that he barely can defend himself. He will be raped, beaten by the other boys and his sister became a whore outside...
In the prison he will teach a special martial art based on the karate from a condemned prisoner.
2 years have passed and ryo is free.. but outside he has'nt changed.

vol1

vol3

vol10

there are 19vol in jap right now!
i'm Here !!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Umm i cant see the pics. nvm. So where can i find it?
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

coq de combat sounds pretty cool. The pictures give a weird feeling too. man i need to pick this one up and check it out. Nice find yupachups.
SileNTReApR
imanewbie

Post by SileNTReApR »

Starnum, you found Berserk more disturbing than Koroshiya? I personally did not find Berserk disturbing at all.. to me, they are just drawn pictures. If they were real imagery I might have been phased.
[X] Click for the biggest manga distro group ever!
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Sometimes drawn images can be more disturbing, because it's the idea that counts. In lots of gore scenes in violent movies you can usually see the actors being cut up and maimed and whatever are actually having fun.

I guess rape scenes in movies are disturbing enough, usually, and I guess spitted torsos in movies would be, too, but usually movies like that just come off as so over the top that you don't take them seriously. In a manga I somehow don't have all that distance. And berserk may be over the top in places, but it's still quite serious, mostly.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.