About Griffith...

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

I seriously doubt common people had underwear at that time xD!!
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I was just trying to get the topic back onto Griffith that's all.
Luck-
Mastered PM

Post by Luck- »

Lol. Nice try man. But isse-pisse-päron-pung wants to get back to the underwear issue.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

DarkenRahlX wrote:Guts is never gonna be shit because Griffith is going to kick his ass.
Bwahahahaha! Okay, I'm better now. :P
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Luck- wrote:
Lol. Nice try man. But isse-pisse-päron-pung wants to get back to the underwear issue.
That's getting interesting. :P
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Darkshine
imanewbie

Post by Darkshine »

"off topic" Dont think guts ever will be king or want to, but he would been an great general.

"not off topic" I really hate that bastard griffith, always hate dose pretty boys, he think he is superior (well ok he his efter he became a guds hand), but in the end guts will defeat him (but that dosent mean gatsu wont die to=¤)
When the light is out, there will still be a Dark little shine out there(or will it?)
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Mmmmm. Gatsu :|

All I know is that this topic should have died a long time ago.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Yeah, what's up with "Gatsu"? I mean Gatts, or even Gattsu, yeah, but it wasn't even spelled "Gatsu" in kana last time I checked.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I blame the fansubbers. They had Gatsu for the first couple of episodes, and I think Hawks or some other group had it at the beginning as well, until it was changed later.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Luck-
Mastered PM

Post by Luck- »

Darkshine you got some nice spelling.
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

Well the japs pronounce it as "Gattsu" so I think it's ok imo and Gattsu sounds better than "Guts" xD!!
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Miura says it is "Guts". Thus, it is so, read the faq.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

and psi spoke and it was good. im guessing no one ever saw Woody Alens movie Banana's...
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I usually write it "Gatts", but that's because I'm influenced by this (clinically insane) guy who translates most of the Swedish version of Shounen Jump. He's a great fan of Berserk and is lobbying to have the manga translated and the animé subbed, but the people in charge deem it too big a gap between One Piece/Naruto/DragonBall to Berserk.
He also romanizes Femto into "Phemt", arguing that it originates from some general germanic expression for "five" or "fifth". But anyway, he's crazy, so perhaps I should not be listening to him. :P

EDIT:

Psi: On the other hand, Miura also states it's "Schierke". There is no way I am going to just accept that. Even Schierke's voice actor in the PS2 game pronounces her name as "Silke", clear as day. I sound like a n00b for arguing about romanizations now, so I am just going to stop.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Japanese is a different fucking language that doesn't pronounce words and syllables like english. And who cares how it's pronounced anyway? If Miura says it's "Guts," then that's how it's spelled, and if it a word originated in the english language (which Guts no doubt is), then that's how it must be pronounced.

Now STFU with all this Gatts, Gattsu bullshit. That's not how it's spelled or pronounced. Period.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Actually, it is spelled Gattsu and pronounced Gatts/Gattsu. In japanese, that is. And, as I stated in my previous post (although I do not remember the finer details), Gattsu has a slightly wider range of meaning in japanese, and is in the end sort of a different word. But I should STFU.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:Actually, it is spelled Gattsu and pronounced Gatts/Gattsu. In japanese, that is. And, as I stated in my previous post (although I do not remember the finer details), Gattsu has a slightly wider range of meaning in japanese, and is in the end sort of a different word. But I should STFU.
Of course it's written "Gattsu" (in romanized japanese of course) and of course it's pronounced "Gattsu," because the phonetics in japanese are different that those in english. From what little I know, the japanese alphabet is composed of syllables (ka, ma, sa, tsu, etc.) and no "letter" in this alphabet is a stand-alone consonant (except for "n" and vowels I believe). The japanese language can, thus, not have consonants by themselves, so, whenever they try to pronounce a word in another laguage (i.e. english), they end up adding an extra "u" at the end of each consanant to make up for the lack of true syllable to define the sound. Everything else is just conformed to sounds that exist whithin the japanese alphabet. That's why the japanese accent is distinct when they talk english, because the phonetics are not the same. That's why they can't pronounce "computer" like a regular american would, because they don't have the syllables necessary to say the word correctly, and instead end up saying something like "ko-mu-pyu-taa."

That's why Guts is written "Gattsu" (in romanized japanese of course, there is no way of writing an english word correctly in japanese due to the different alphabet) and why it's pronounced "Gattsu" by the japanese, because there is no sound for a stand-alone "s" or a "u" the way americans would say it. If Miura says the the correct spelling for the name is "Guts" then it stands to reason that the word is english of origin and it should be pronounced as such, regardless of whether japanese have enough syllables to spell/say it correctly or not. I was discussing the same issue with a friend of mine on Arucardo/Alucard from Hellsing a while ago, there is no "l" sound in japanese you see, so they make up for it with a similar sounding japanese "r."

In other words, you are wrong, so STFU. :kekeke:

EDIT: That's also why "Schierke" sounds like "Silke" in the japanese PS2 game, because japanese have no way of defining every sound in the word Schierke, so they simplify it to something that fits in their alphabet. Jesus man, have you ever heard a japanese person speak english? Come back after you do, you'll see how much sense this stuff makes.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:
LordMune wrote:Actually, it is spelled Gattsu and pronounced Gatts/Gattsu. In japanese, that is. And, as I stated in my previous post (although I do not remember the finer details), Gattsu has a slightly wider range of meaning in japanese, and is in the end sort of a different word. But I should STFU.
Of course it's written "Gattsu" (in romanized japanese of course) and of course it's pronounced "Gattsu," because the phonetics in japanese are different that those in english. From what little I know, the japanese alphabet is composed of syllables (ka, ma, sa, tsu, etc.) and no "letter" in this alphabet is a stand-alone consonant (except for "n" and vowels I believe). The japanese language can, thus, not have consonants by themselves, so, whenever they try to pronounce a word in another laguage (i.e. english), they end up adding an extra "u" at the end of each consanant to make up for the lack of true syllable to define the sound. Everything else is just conformed to sounds that exist whithin the japanese alphabet. That's why the japanese accent is distinct when they talk english, because the phonetics are not the same. That's why they can't pronounce "computer" like a regular american would, because they don't have the syllables necessary to say the word correctly, and instead end up saying something like "ko-mu-pyu-taa."

That's why Guts is written "Gattsu" (in romanized japanese of course, there is no way of writing an english word correctly in japanese due to the different alphabet) and why it's pronounced "Gattsu" by the japanese, because there is no sound for a stand-alone "s" or a "u" the way americans would say it. If Miura says the the correct spelling for the name is "Guts" then it stands to reason that the word is english of origin and it should be pronounced as such, regardless of whether japanese have enough syllables to spell/say it correctly or not. I was discussing the same issue with a friend of mine on Arucardo/Alucard from Hellsing a while ago, there is no "l" sound in japanese you see, so they make up for it with a similar sounding japanese "r."

In other words, you are wrong, so STFU. :kekeke:
Correction: You usually don't add a U when an english word ends with a T or D; you add an O instead, since there is no real TU or DU, only TSU/DZU. I was already ShuttingTFU, but you made me talk again. :(
And you just sidestepped my actual point. :OWTH:

EDIT: Also, N is commonly used instead of MU, due to its slight nasal M-like nature. It's konpyuuta, not komupyuuta.

Counter-EDIT:
Femto wrote:EDIT: That's also why "Schierke" sounds like "Silke" in the japanese PS2 game, because japanese have no way of defining every sound in the word Schierke, so they simplify it to something that fits in their alphabet. Jesus man, have you ever heard a japanese person speak english? Come back after you do, you'll see how much sense this stuff makes.
Berserk obviously has quite a lot of european middle-ages and ye auld germanic influences- which leads me to believe that Schierke is actually Silke, a name which actually sounds sensible, and Miura chose the spelling of "Schierke" simply because Schierke and Silke are indistinguishable in japanese. So there.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I don't see how I'm sidestepping the point, and regardless, are you saying that the correct pronunciation of Guts is Gattsu? That the correct pronunciation of an american word is the japanese one?

That's bullshit lie.

EDIT: If Silke and Schierke sound the same in japanese, then why the fuck didn't Miura just stick to Silke which is much easier to pronounce/write in japanese?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Femto wrote:I don't see how I'm sidestepping the point, and regardless, are you saying that the correct pronunciation of Guts is Gattsu? That the correct pronunciation of an american word is the japanese one?

That's bullshit lie.

EDIT: If Silke and Schierke sound the same in japanese, then why the fuck didn't Miura just stick to Silke which is much easier to pronounce/write in japanese?
I'm saying that Gatts means... more in japanese than Guts does in english. I don't know what I'm on about TBH, I'll get back to it later.

As for Silke, it's all about romanization. I'm looking through my Berserk raws right now, give me a moment and I'll give you a demonstration.

EDIT: typo
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

hmm...i wonder how griffith pronounces guts' name...and how would he start it if he were to write guts a letter.
Griffith wrote:Dear Guts,

I raped Casca again.

respectfully yours
Griffith
+1 (happy femto :roll: :wink:)
Last edited by MrFelony on Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:I'm saying that Gatts means... more in japanese than Guts does in english. I don't know what I'm on about TBH, I'll get back to it later.

As for Silke, it's all about romanization. I'm looking through my Berserk raws right now, give me a moment and I'll give you a demonstration.

EDIT: typo
Gato from MOTW means 'cat' in spanish, and that means more than whatever Gato means in japanese (probably nothing), does that mean that the word comes from the spanish language? Of course not, it's just a name some japanese came up with. Discussing whether "Gatts" makes more sense than "Guts" as a name is pointless, because the goddamn author of the series has stated that the name is spelled G-U-T-S.

As for Schierke/Silke, save yourself the trouble, I've explained before why it has to be romanized in a different way. It the same situation than Guts, how the hell are they going to spell Schierke in japanese? They can't, so they just stick to using similar sounding vowels.

I don't see what your are trying to prove here, man.

And that was a completely useless post Felony, I'm tempted to delete it.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

As you wish. I still know I'm right though. ;)
As for what I'm trying to prove... Did I even start this?

You may as well delete these last few posts, as they are utterly useless if we're not going to continue.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

arguing a moot point is pointless as well, especially when no one is gonna change their minds.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:As you wish. I still know I'm right though. ;)
As for what I'm trying to prove... Did I even start this?

You may as well delete these last few posts, as they are utterly useless if we're not going to continue.
Right about what? That it's "Gatts" and not "Guts"? Wait until Starnum drops by, he won't give you a chance to breathe on the subject.

As for who started this, I think it was isse if I'm not mistaken, but only the two of us have kept the flame alive. I don't see what that has to do with anything though, you said something I thought was incorrect and I posted my thought on the matter. We've been trying to prove each other wrong and that's how the whole discussion started. I don't get how "who started this discussion" has anything to do with what you are trying/not trying to prove.

I still don't get why you want me to remove these posts, afraid of being proved wrong? :kekeke:

I'm up for a discussion as long as you are.

Felony: If you're talking about this discussion here, then don't give me that "moot point" bullshit. A discussion is better than fucking spam any day of the week.