Hellsing manga

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

This post blows my mind.

And cements Finito's position as the worst poster ever.
Thats a little overrated :oops: , Ive seen worst posters.
Like people who says worst posters ever just because they dont think like the poster, and doesnt explain exacly why.
What im saying can you defend your point of view a little more instead of just using that sentence, it would save some time.

Id like to know what you dont relate to in my post and also what do you consider to be worst poster ever.

About the wikipedia reference, I dont see how breaking a 10 years old cliché would make me appreciate the manga more, but ill go with it.
When did they write that description is a mystery, but I dont call using strong independant female characters breaking any cliché or stereotype. On the contrary, it is one of the most used cliché these days...
I dont really read more vampire stories except VHunter D and Blood, so the vampires doing parody is a first for me too I guess, but it didnt make me laugh much till now.
Vampire modernisation and opinions change? I suppose weve all seen Blade or Underworld...

The rest of the paragraph is filled with inconprehensible elements like:
"making a distinct edge between the 'good' characters and the 'bad' characters" which is suppose to be a good thing that the author does. That part, his distinct edge between good and bad characters, is explained with the antagonisme and protagonisme of Seras compared to other vampire girls who are normally sexually active and very feminine?? I must not read enough vampire hentais to understand this part...

Mystery about an apocalypse, is there ever a clear apocalypse.
The unique war story part is true... Its one hell of a unique dumb war story... Most partically using the dirigeables for an assault... Supposedly paralysing every english armies and allies before hand, the part where only Europe countries knows of the vampire threat is so bad. Not sending someone to pickup Alucard was pretty intelligent too, there are too many dumb war actions in the manga to describe them all.
The madness of the leaders is so spoiled by their childishness and their acts motivations are so dumb its hard to believe people think its philosophical, but if you like to define philosophical meaning or comcepts in mangas, go ahead and mentally masturbate yourself, but thats not what I read mangas for.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

... I'm sorry, are you taking Hellsing seriously?
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Finito

Post by Finito »

If I was, I would have to believe in the existence of vampires... So no.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

I do admit I did like the nazi werewolves in hellsing. They brought a smile to my face :lol: Then Alucard killed one :(. Then he came back to life and teleported to Germany in a second. :!:
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

Speak of the devil and double posting, new chapter out yay!
http://anip.homeunix.com/manga/index.ph ... ing_vol09/
Careful with the site tons of pop ups, I usually use firefox and right click or (3rd wheel mouse click) To open the page in another tab to stop pop ups.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Read the FAQS, no double posting, if you need to bump copy your previous post into the new one, then delete it.

We don't like double posting.
Finito

Post by Finito »

The latest chapters were better drawn and had more character developpement and I havent read Dawn yet, but with the latest chapters and Dawn's supplement, it should help in making me appreciate it more, probably a 6.

But Shini, those werewolf were pretty lame(Hunter, Zorin, Schrodinger), but the Captain and Tulbalcain are ok.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

Schrödinger is my favorite, I never really thought of those other guys are werewolves.. guess they were.
Is Schrödinger a dude or a girl?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

As far as I know, there is only one werewolf in Hellsing (Montana Max' bodyguard or whatever he is), and one tomboyish catgirl (Schrödinger- I assume she's a she).
I must not read enough vampire hentais to understand this part...
It is commonly accepted vampire lore. Other than this, I can't really find anything concrete enough to reply to in your post, so I'll just rant in a tone contrary to your post's.

Hellsing is not about character development, intelligent dialogue, or indeed any of the things you mentioned. Hellsing only has as much depth as its reader gives it.

Hellsing is about NAZI VAMPIRES invading England.

As a manga bout NAZI VAMPIRES invading England, it has an amazingly engaging plot and characters that have actual emotional clout.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Aah finally a reply with more context, you deserve gratitude and a reply for this thinked post, I mean your the only one who dared to defend the manga too, I was feeling a little harsh on Hellsing fans.

About the Seras thing, I was only joking with the vampire hentai stuff. What I didnt understand was the link of the distinct edge between good and bad characters and the example about Seras used to explain the protagonist-antagonist in Hellsing. I wasnt insulting the manga, but more like the Wikipedia text.

"Hellsing only has as much depth as its reader gives it"
Well its true, it can be a great manga, if you think about the Nazi ways, personnalities and you start matching it with the vampire characteristics, heartless, souless, evil, but there are limits to these things determined by every mangas greatness(kind of potential the author give to their mangas) and the majority of the readers dont bother to go that far, and those are the ones I blame most for liking this manga more than other uninteresting mangas like Narutard. But everyones tastes are different and all Im saying is my opinion, so to those people, dont feel down just because someone else doesnt agree with you.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

You can feel any way you wish about Hellsing, all I ask is that you, please, do not draw parallels to excrement like Naruto so wantonly.

Hellsing never demands any sort of involvement from the reader at all, while Naruto necessitates reader-identification with a bullied retard with a fox in his stomach in order to be enjoyed at all. It gets old quick.

From a purely observational standpoint, very little actual physical movement happened in the latest chapter of Hellsing; and there was only 'much' talking in contrast to the lack of action. And yet, there was a whole lot more plot development and progress being made than in a six-chapter fight sequence in Naruto.

EDIT: I don't get that good/bad thing in the wikipedia entry either. It was better written when I first read it.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I´m a huge lazy bastard and i didn´t want to bother myself posting but whatever, i´ll defend Hellsing.
The character developement is totally lame. We know almost nothing of them.
Integra had like 4 Flashbacks so far, and she´s constantly having meetins and reunions with other figures of power, she´s probably the one with better development in the manga.

Seras had a very slow development and Pip had pratically none, expect in volume 7 which is pretty their own volume, we now know why Seras wnated to be a cop, what happened to her parents, why she´s so fucking stupid and childish, is it really that important to know more about her or Pip at the present state of the story?

Alucard got his flashback in volume 8 and we learn about his main objetive in his life but since you haven´t read volume 8, i´ll let him slide.

And for Walter, we have the prequel Dawn, which also serves to highlight the latest plot twist in the story.

We get to see how their characters are throughout the manga anyway.

Also their mentality is so simple, predictable, childish...(with the gore its should be rated 18+, but the mentality looks 15 or less).
Why?
The art is not bad but its not great either, so it isnt helping.
It´s true that, at first, his design was simple and even crude sometimes, but then again, so was Berserk, and like Miura he developed that style to a much more smooth, stylish and cool design, and unlike Miura, he did it totallyalone, he did 7 volumes in a half with no assistants at all, and considering the complexity of the art, that´s awesome in my book.
Only recently he got one assistant.
Whats irritating is wasting 9 pages on Anderson reciting lame bible lyrics or the Major talking shit or some soldiers wreaking havoc during a whole chapter(we got the point after 3 page max...)
Yeah...those speeches before the actual battle are always there in Hellsing, that can stall the fights and it can get a little irritating.
About the Major, i think Hirano wanted to show how Charismatic the Major is and how he sends 100 soldiers to their deaths without any second thoughts.
using the 1st pages of chapters to resume where he left, even though the chapters are short he still wastes so many pages...
He rarely does that.
I dont really care much about plots, but its nothing great too.
Probably one of the reasons you don´t like it, considering there are entire chapters where no one points a gun and just talk to advance the plot.

Like LordMune said:"As a manga bout NAZI VAMPIRES invading England, it has an amazingly engaging plot and characters that have actual emotional clout."

And i totally agree.
The action is appreciable, but hes no god at it, gory but he keeps it simple, childish, predictable, repetitive.
I get what you mean, usually a fight with Alucard involves people shooting the him, then he revives, scaring the shit out of everyone and kills them.

Is it repetitive?

Yes.

Is it boring?

Hell no.

Also, let me ask you this, how many times have you seen like 20 fuckers throwing themselves at Guts and getting themselves killed?

Overall 5/10 is generous enough. Naruto beats it...
See, i´m trying to respect you opinion here but when you say stupid crap like "naruto tops it" or "they´re using zeppelins, that´s so dumb lolarz!!", i just want to flame the shit out of you.

Hellsing is not perfect (No manga is) and slow as fuck but as long as it entertains me, i´ll consider one of the top mangas out there because that´s what i want in a manga, entertainment.

Plus Alucard is badass.
Last edited by Deathbringer on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

Deathbringer wrote: Plus Alucard is badass.
:headbang:

BTW could anyone help me out where I need to continue? Been a while since I read Hellsing you see :oops:

Anyways last chapter I read was with Anderson stabbing himself with that thorn thingie :)
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I don't see the logic in criticizing Naruto/Hellsing when one use Berserk to compare to Hellsing. Depending on who you are talking to, you can get the same lameass criticism in return.

About the art: I don't care if he's alone to draw, the art is getting worse and worse, I said it before. It's hard to sort out anything in the mess, and all the characters are androgyns and lookalike. Hard to follow what's going on sometimes. And he does the flashback thingy at the beginning of the chapters, but I think it's only been lately.

Maybe it's irony.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Well first to LordM.
Hellsing never demands any sort of involvement from the reader at all, while Naruto necessitates reader-identification with a bullied retard with a fox in his stomach in order to be enjoyed at all. It gets old quick.
Let me just say Naruto "only has as much depth as its reader gives it." :P

do not draw parallels to excrement like Naruto
From a purely observational standpoint, very little actual physical movement happened in the latest chapter of Hellsing; and there was only 'much' talking in contrast to the lack of action. And yet, there was a whole lot more plot development and progress being made than in a six-chapter fight sequence in Naruto.
Your comparing them, and your comparing a Hellsing less action/more talking part with a Naruto action sequence...
Your contradicting yourself and not making good comparaison or not well explaining.

And now to DeathB.
About the character development, I said it got better and changed my rating after reading up to the releases. Ive read Dawn now too.

It got better, but what I find the most horrible is not only the few quantity of it, but more the lameness of those developments,
Ex: Seras developpement is still lame even though we know she suffered when she was young, it doesnt justify that she would become an extraordinary vampire or why Alucard chose her, and losing its parents is a cliche... Becoming a super powerful vampire just because of a guy she hardly knew kissed her and died is pretty lame too, he was hardly developped and their relation was hardly thinked.

Mentality, why?
Ex: Seras again, you killed my boyfriend Im mad and stronger, now die yaaah!
or Anderson and Alucard, being the opposite, each time they see eachothers theyll fight... immature act, there to make it look cool and form a bond between eachothers. Simple, repetitif, childish.

Comparing the art to Miura is not helping, Miura's art is way way way better in my book...
Having assistants might be an excuse for not drawing fast, releasing slowly and short chapters at that, but not for drawing badly.
I also dont know enough about their working ways to compare them accordingly when it comes to art and productivity.

1st pages waste,
He really does more than rarely... And rarely is already too much for the already rare chapters.

The plot,
Not great because its full of holes and dumb events like I pointed out in an earlier post. The Nazi's only goal is to create a hell on earth by having constant wars forever, which is impossible and apparently not dumb enough.

The action gets boring, if you know everything thats going to happen.
About Berserk, apparently not enough, more dispersed and varied. Miura does a good job of mixing alot more elements in the fightings and not making it a one way fight most of the time.

The rating is only my opinion, and you shouldnt flame people because they dont think like you do, flamme the manga or the opinion but not the person. You flamming the shit out of me not only would it be a big mistake but also totally out of line...

Yeah Alucard is bad and as an ass, but hes not really badass in my book.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

Jesus christ for a manga you hate so much you've put so much thought into it. Read it or don't no one is going to lose sleep because fimito thinks everyone is lame in a comic book.
Finito

Post by Finito »

Who said I hated it?

I didnt put much thought into it... This is really nothing.
Read it or don't no one is going to lose sleep because fimito thinks everyone is lame in a comic book.
Your point shinygamiguts? You want us to stop arguing? What is it?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Finito wrote:Well first to LordM.
Let me just say Naruto "only has as much depth as its reader gives it." :P
The fundamental difference between Naruto and Hellsing, which you sort of comment upon, is that Naruto requires long-term emotional involvement from the reader for any of the events in the manga to actually mean anything. Without emotional investment, Naruto is just page after page of fairly basic (both ideologically and visually) character archetypes fighting-monologuing-flashbacking it out. In short, boring as fuck.

Hellsing, on the other hand, is very well drawn (let's leave personal taste out of this; I think most of us can agree that Hirano draws better than Kishimoto), and does not beg you at every turn to (omgomgomg his brother killed his family plz plz PLZ) care (plz). Any emotional investment in Hellsing usually has more or less immediate payoff.
Even without any emotional attachment it is still a manga about ridiculous-cool poses, big guns and nazi vampires, and fundamentally enjoyable.

do not draw parallels to excrement like Naruto
Your comparing them, and your comparing a Hellsing less action/more talking part with a Naruto action sequence...
Your contradicting yourself and not making good comparaison or not well explaining.
I admit I contradicted myself. I continue to do so.

My point is that Naruto's pace is glacial. Hellsing gets things done, albeit the releases are infrequent.

And now to DeathB.
About the character development, I said it got better and changed my rating after reading up to the releases. Ive read Dawn now too.

It got better, but what I find the most horrible is not only the few quantity of it, but more the lameness of those developments,
Ex: Seras developpement is still lame even though we know she suffered when she was young, it doesnt justify that she would become an extraordinary vampire or why Alucard chose her, and losing its parents is a cliche... Becoming a super powerful vampire just because of a guy she hardly knew kissed her and died is pretty lame too, he was hardly developped and their relation was hardly thinked.
YES. The whole Dead Pip -> Pimped-Out Vampire Seras thing is utterly, ridiculously, cliché. We all know this. Kouta Hirano knows this.

Which is why he had it play out just like that.
Mentality, why?
Ex: Seras again, you killed my boyfriend Im mad and stronger, now die yaaah!
or Anderson and Alucard, being the opposite, each time they see eachothers theyll fight... immature act, there to make it look cool and form a bond between eachothers. Simple, repetitif, childish.
Same thing here. Hirano knows what he is doing, and does not ask to be taken seriously. Kishimoto does many similar things in Naruto however, while remaining absolutely stone-faced. Retarded shounen action, serious business.
The plot,
Not great because its full of holes and dumb events like I pointed out in an earlier post. The Nazi's only goal is to create a hell on earth by having constant wars forever, which is impossible and apparently not dumb enough.
Last I checked, the Nazi's motive was a perfectly acceptable raison detre for any manga. 90% of all manga plotlines are retarded, at least in Hellsing it is used as nothing more than a backdrop for VAMPIRES.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

Finito wrote:Having assistants might be an excuse for not drawing fast, releasing slowly and short chapters at that, but not for drawing badly.
Did you just call the art bad? I mean sure Miuras is much better. bu that in no way makes Koutas art bad.

Also, how will the vampires be able to wage war forever when all except like 3 or 4 are already dead after one night? :S
Groovy!
nimrod
notanewb

Post by nimrod »

easy... the war will be Alucard vs the Werewolves that come back to life over and over again... they cant kill him and he cant kill them :P
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Hi, all I have just finished watchung anime, but I don't know a damn about the manga. Tell me one just one thing: Did Integra agreed to became a vampire after Alucard pwned that crazy guy that summoned god of death and tryed to destroy london (I am talking about a totaly naked vampire with absurdly large revolver and one huge red eye and another small green eye)?
What is good?-Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man.
What is evil?-Whatever springs from weakness.
What is happiness?-The feeling that power increases-that resistance is overcome.

Nietzsche
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

42ndEndOfTheWorld wrote:Hi, all I have just finished watchung anime, but I don't know a damn about the manga. Tell me one just one thing: Did Integra agreed to became a vampire after Alucard pwned that crazy guy that summoned god of death and tryed to destroy london (I am talking about a totaly naked vampire with absurdly large revolver and one huge red eye and another small green eye)?
The first four episodes or so follow the manga. The rest is essentially filler bullshit. None of your questions apply; Integra has not, and probably never will, be offered something like that, and the naked guy is not in the manga.

Read the manga, it is infinitely superior. Then watch Hellsing Ultimate.
42ndEndOfTheWorld
This is my new home

Post by 42ndEndOfTheWorld »

Thank you. One more question: Is it possible to a non-virgin to become a vampire in helsing? Is there any way at all?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Aside from chip implantation, I don't think so.

Of course, it depends on where you draw the 'virginity' line.

Alucard is something of a special case.
Dagda Mor
Mastered PM

Post by Dagda Mor »

Heh. "Special case." I really shouldn't be finding that funny.

Anyways, for those of you wanting to track down the rest of the manga, you can find it on ATU-BOTI. You have to hop around a little to track down the latest chapters, though.