Hellsing manga

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

This manga is so slow, it feels even slower than Berserk. Can somebody remind me what's good about this manga, I trully forgot. Rare fact, the art is getting worse by the chapter.

Granted, Alucard is badass. Oh. maybe that's why...
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Albator wrote:This manga is so slow, it feels even slower than Berserk. Can somebody remind me what's good about this manga, I trully forgot. Rare fact, the art is getting worse by the chapter.

Granted, Alucard is badass. Oh. maybe that's why...
I know what you are talking about. There was a time when Hellsing was one of my favs. But now it's like "I still read Hellsing?". The fact that Hellsing was fast to read was one of the reason I liked it, but now it keeps getting slower. The release dates keep getting bigger. But yeah Alucard owns
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

I think one of the reasons i still like this so much is because i only started reading it in only a few months and read it straight to book 8 and didn´t wait that long for the chapters.

But apparently the chapters are being released monthly again altough Hirano will always be a fucking slacker, he himself admited that.

About the art, i don´t think it´s worse.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Take Anderson in the latest chapters. Can you really sort out his form?

And now Hirano found it was a good thing to show the character's eyes to show their amazement. Alright. Problem is, who does the fricking eyes belongs to?

Other thing, the character's silhouette. Alucard used to look strong, imposing. Where did his shoulders go? Now he looks more and more like a travestite or a matchstick man. Fortunately his attitude is still there.

It was better at the beginning, maybe he was putting more efforts into it.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

I still love Hellsing more than ever, but I'm following the story closely. It's also just as fun to reread.
I love it because it's fuckin crazy.
Berserk is crazy on a differant level.

[edit] any1 know when the next chapter should be out? How about news on the OVA?
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

This chapter was short as hell but it compensated by being so fucking awesome.

Hirano took this small plot hole from the first book and turned it around into a amazing plot twist.
Last edited by Deathbringer on Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

There's a new chapter out?

omglinkplz
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Thank ye kindly.
SarahofBorg
This is my new home

Post by SarahofBorg »

How do you find these things? Max 7 is the only hellsing scanlation site I think still exists.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

I bought the first four volumes quite some time ago and i wanna get the rest. but i dont want to download em as hirano is one of my favourite mangakas and i want to support him by buying his books. But darkhorse is so expensive(but i guess you can survive that for the sake of the quality)
Groovy!
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

the hellsing project are still around but they're slower than pond water... and max7 lost their young king ours scanner... so who knows now
Bow to Golbez
Arngrim
Mastered PM

Post by Arngrim »

One of the main reasons the Hellsing manga is taking so long is that (well, in comparsion to Berserk and last I checked) Hirano is practically begging for staff aid, being by his lonesome. I'm not keeping up with Hellsing atm, to many other things, but when I do I still am under the impression I'll love it all the same.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Hirano was at Otakon. I missed him because of the hot girls(there were some and I'm really picky) and because of my cousin. She ruins everything.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

This manga takes waaaayy to long to be good. It's so short when it's released too.
Unlike berserk when released comes with like 30+ pages. Hellsing will be done in 15 or less.
Alucard is ok. I liked walter more, before he turned into a gay vamp
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:This manga takes waaaayy to long to be good.

Best argument ever to describe why a manga is bad, you win.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

Deathbringer wrote:

Thanks, What I meant was. Waiting a month for a piece of crap like hellsing ain't worth the 5 mintues of download and 1 mintue of reading.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

thats true, and thats why i dont follow many ongoing series.

hellsing is great aslong as you read the old issues over and over instead of sit and wait for new stuff :P
Groovy!
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:

Thanks, What I meant was. Waiting a month for a piece of crap like hellsing ain't worth the 5 mintues of download and 1 mintue of reading.
I was being sarcastic genius, slow or not, Hellsing is still great.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Well Im running out of good action series to read, so I guess Ill start this one.
Hopefully this series wont be as bad as I imagine.
ZombieToaster
Mastered PM

Post by ZombieToaster »

And why do you imagine it to be bad?
Groovy!
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

I imaginated it bad because ive already read it a little before and dropped it because it looked so bad.
Well Im at v07 for now, but heres a resume:

Childish author, emphasizing on gore too much, hes trying too much to make his character look "crazy cool" like!! The character developement is totally lame. We know almost nothing of them. Also their mentality is so simple, predictable, childish...(with the gore its should be rated 18+, but the mentality looks 15 or less). The art is not bad but its not great either, so it isnt helping.
Whats irritating is wasting 9 pages on Anderson reciting lame bible lyrics or the Major talking shit or some soldiers wreaking havoc during a whole chapter(we got the point after 3 page max...), using the 1st pages of chapters to resume where he left, even though the chapters are short he still wastes so many pages... and only managed to release around 10 volumes in 10 years.
I dont really care much about plots, but its nothing great too.
The action is appreciable, but hes no god at it, gory but he keeps it simple, childish, predictable, repetitive.
Overall 5/10 is generous enough. Naruto beats it...
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Finito wrote:I imaginated it bad because ive already read it a little before and dropped it because it looked so bad.
Well Im at v07 for now, but heres a resume:

Childish author, emphasizing on gore too much, hes trying too much to make his character look "crazy cool" like!! The character developement is totally lame. We know almost nothing of them. Also their mentality is so simple, predictable, childish...(with the gore its should be rated 18+, but the mentality looks 15 or less). The art is not bad but its not great either, so it isnt helping.
Whats irritating is wasting 9 pages on Anderson reciting lame bible lyrics or the Major talking shit or some soldiers wreaking havoc during a whole chapter(we got the point after 3 page max...), using the 1st pages of chapters to resume where he left, even though the chapters are short he still wastes so many pages... and only managed to release around 10 volumes in 10 years.
I dont really care much about plots, but its nothing great too.
The action is appreciable, but hes no god at it, gory but he keeps it simple, childish, predictable, repetitive.
Overall 5/10 is generous enough. Naruto beats it...
This post blows my mind.

And cements Finito's position as the worst poster ever.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I can relate to some (emphasize some) of his points though. Is there some irony/parody in Hellsing that I missed too?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Albator wrote:I can relate to some (emphasize some) of his points though. Is there some irony/parody in Hellsing that I missed too?
Kinda. Hirano takes the whole vampire mythos for a spin; the wikipedia entry does a good job of highlighting this.

EDIT:
Wikipedia wrote:The story behind the manga breaks many stereotypes and clichés associated with traditional vampire stories in any medium. Some examples are the use of independent, strong female characters (most notably Integra Hellsing), the modernization of the outlook and opinions held by the vampires of the cast, and minor use of parody when compared to other vampire stories; it also features many hallmarks of traditional stories, such as making a distinct edge between the 'good' characters and the 'bad' characters, normally through having the antagonists being the direct moral opposites of the protagonists. For instance, Seras (one of the main protagonists and a female vampire) is portrayed as being unnaturally good-willed, tomboyish and erotophobic, whereas typical female vampires are very sexually active, amoral and very feminine.

The story begins as a mystery genre story with the main characters scrambling for answers portending a dark apocalypse and then develops into a unique war story which centers equally around the hardy soldiers who suffer and toil in the ditches and trenches of the battlefield to the mad leaders who revel in the bloodshed of the war. The story also presents several interesting and diverse philosophical themes and phrases riddled with possible alternate meanings. One of the most noted examples is the question, "Are you a dog, a man or a monster?" Alucard often raises this question as well as the concept of being 'Human'.