Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Post by Femto »

Yeah, they're moving pretty quickly which I have mixed feelings about.

The orgy scene loses a lot of its impact because it breezes by. But maybe that has to do with how much they can show of that kind of stuff.

I didn't like how shiny Skull Knight was and I think his voice was pitched better in the movies but still, Skull Knight.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

It does seem like they are moving a little too fast, like there was a sense of passion in the manga but now it is just happening...not sure what they can do to fix it but it makes me feel like I am watching everything in fast forward like the high capture rate camera's they used in Hobbit... which ruined the film for me, not so much with Berserk but still not impressed...

As for Skull Knight, the coloration is not something I would have chosen but the eye were cool the green effect of the mist was eerie not sure if that is the intended affect... all in all not a bad scene... starting to hate Casca's little guuuh and gaaah noises, thinking that she sounds more like a baby than a crazy person... or whatever she is.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

She's always doing that in the manga too tho, you may notice. I think it's meant for her to sound like a baby. I agree the pacing is still a bit rushed. Did they even set up the miscarried baby ghost before or in the movies? I forget. I wonder if they're trying to get to a specific part or just as much as possible. I do hope they take their time with some of the best scenes though, like the meeting on the hill of swords, the acquisition and subsequent use of the Berserker Armor, the meeting with Slann in the troll cave, Schierke summoning the elementals, the battle with the various apostles and things of that nature.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hey.

I don't know who's still on the fence about this show but the last sequence in the latest episode was brilliantly executed.

Was literally giggling like a school girl.

Helps that they pretty much copy-pasted one of my favorite panels in the manga.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Okay, yeah, for sure. They nailed it with this episode. Talk about bringing it to life right off of the page. That was freaking great! Looks like they're getting into their stride now. If the rest of the series carries on like this, then we're in for an epic ride folks. I like how they didn't rush through the fight with the goat apostle. It seems like they were just looking for a way to transition into the Retribution arc without having to show the Lost Children and such. So hopefully from here on out they continue to establish the story as it was written, because if we're in store for more of what we just saw in episode 7, then I'm fucking all about it! LOL XD
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

I can't believe this iconic scene has finally been animated.

And it looked SOOOOO good :shock:
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

I'm happy to see the production value keeps improving with each episode. At this rate, assuming the anime keeps improving like this, the Hill of Swords fight is going to make my head asplode.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

All I can say is AWESOME :twisted:

This last episode has renewed my faith in the series :D
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

BigSassy wrote:I can't believe this iconic scene has finally been animated.

And it looked SOOOOO good :shock:
Quoting again for how awesome it was. This one scene brought it all back.

Funny how this Anime is bringing life back to forums again. I wonder who else is going to crawl out of the wood works.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

Wow the fight with the goat demi-apostle was perfect and the fight with Serpico was just as awesome. The anime has really hit its stride - I can't wait for the troll hunt now.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Those battles were epic :twisted:

Loved watching Ishidoro trying to run down the mountain and getting all tangled up that was fucking hilarious, then Guts getting mad and you can see him go "fuck I am the idiot for trusting a kid with my women damn it!!"

Fuck that troll hunt I want to see the Ogre fight and the Kelpie, That whole arc is nothing but awesome so bring it on :twisted:

I also wander how much enrolment has went up at Crunch roll, they got me because of berserk :evil:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Don't get too excited guys, sadly, the series has only been confirmed for 12 episodes as of right now.

Whether they go ahead with more or not depends on the reception it gets.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

How are they going to measure that??? Cause I will vote as many times as they let me, make up fake users then vote again, make my kids vote (even though I will not let them watch) and then sacrifice my wife for more Berserk... although Berserk doesn't get all hot and bothered when I rub on it so Berserk cant have my wife :twisted:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What!? Only 12 episodes!? NOOO, it was supposed to be 24! T.T
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:What!? Only 12 episodes!? NOOO, it was supposed to be 24! T.T
According to who? Was always 12 from what I was aware. BTW this first season will crescendo with the Hill of Swords confrontation. I believe this was confirmed somewhere.

Little disappointed with this most recent episode. Involves one of the most iconic scenes with Guts busting in and destroying that pillar whip. Also is when Farnese starts to question just who are the bad and good guys playing out before her. The pacing and buildup to this initial confrontation between Guts and Mozgua was epic in the manga, but seemed off in the anime. It seems some weeks they kind of get it right, then stumble.....
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Prince wrote:According to who? Was always 12 from what I was aware.
I don't know. I could've swore I saw that somewhere before the season started, but I can't figure out what it was that made me think this, so maybe it was just me, lol.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Don't worry there will be more there is no way this series is not getting continued... ok don't know that for sure but if you have watched the last one you would know :twisted:

So I guess they will probably get to the semi eclipse and then a little of what comes after, which is a good ending spot for the series I guess :evil:

I have figured out what it is that is different about this series they blow right past the build up (example: [spoiler]Ishidoro and crew are between the two portions of goo and they are trapped I remember in the manga he looks for a rock and finds a pebble in that instant I thought they were goners but not in the anime. Also there was the emotional tie between Casca and the demon baby but that was not portrayed well either and the part where they are holding Luca and the guy with the chain claw throws the second pillar and you think they are toast and you see the pillar and Guts cuts right through it without even a pause... they need to find away to build tension :evil:[/spoiler] )

But how ever this thing goings I am behind it 100%

I hope someone else does some off shoot anime with the different stories of Guts like the Count and Baron and Lost Children arc... I vote Netflix or hulu they really have impressed me.
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

If it's only twelve, then hill of swords won't get animated. I just saw 11, and it looks like Griffith being reborn will happen in the next episode (i.e. 12). It'd be a shame if they don't get to the Hill of Swords fight.

By the way, episode 11 was AMAZING! I never thought I'd say this, but the 3D made a huge positive difference. First, Isidro dropping down to rescue Casca was animated very very well. It's hard to imagine a 2D rendering of the same scene packing the same punch. Second, smoke coming off Guts after getting up from initially stabbing Mozgus. Third, Mozgus attack with the thousands hands or whatever it was called. I was really worried how that attack would get animated (2D or 3D), but the animation team delivered.

Jesus, I hope they don't stop after episode 12. They've really hit their stride now, so I can only imagine how awesome future episodes are going to be.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Looking forward to the last episode.

If they do Hill of the Swords, I honestly don't know how they're gonna squeeze all of it in less than 25 minutes knowing that they still have to get out of the tower.

Hope they don't rush it.
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Anime continues spring of next year. Looks like they'll make it to the berserk armor in the next season.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

It's okay guys - we just have to wait about 6 months for more episodes. I think we have enough practice, this should be easy.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

somefatman wrote:It's okay guys - we just have to wait about 6 months for more episodes. I think we have enough practice, this should be easy.
So, for these next few months of waiting, whose turn is it to post about finally loosing hope in the series?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

All things considered, I was pretty okay with this adaptation, to my surprise. I maintain that the first episode was really bad, and some others were quite sketchy (the one with the pagan ritual, and the anime original one). But the last 6 episodes or so were actually pretty good imo. Much better than anything I was expecting. Not an ideal adaptation, mainly due to the short episode count and poor visuals. But I can see myself watching this again honestly, and I'm looking forward to the next season.

Overall - as a supplement to the manga it was very entertaining, but as its own thing... I wouldn't suggest it to someone that only watched the 90s anime as a legit sequel.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

brunoafh wrote:All things considered, I was pretty okay with this adaptation, to my surprise. I maintain that the first episode was really bad, and some others were quite sketchy (the one with the pagan ritual, and the anime original one). But the last 6 episodes or so were actually pretty good imo. Much better than anything I was expecting. Not an ideal adaptation, mainly due to the short episode count and poor visuals. But I can see myself watching this again honestly, and I'm looking forward to the next season.

Overall - as a supplement to the manga it was very entertaining, but as its own thing... I wouldn't suggest it to someone that only watched the 90s anime as a legit sequel.
Agreed. The second half was actually pretty good , AS LONG AS you were already familiar with the manga. I would never recommend this to anyone who hadn't read the manga, since too much was left out/compressed. They wouldn't be able to properly follow everything without that background.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I think the biggest problem was direction. Pivotal scenes weren't given enough time, there were quick changes in mood from one scene to another with no transition (the music goes from sad to action to sad again too quickly), and over all the episodes just felt hurried. On the plus side, the action is great and the story progressed coherently, in that I didn't feel anything was missing or not explained.

I'd really have to ask someone who hasn't read the manga for their opinion on it though, cause I really have no idea what they'd think.

The one undeniable great aspect of the anime was definitely Puck and Isidro, their comedic timing and antics really kept the crazy moments grounded.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel