Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Re: Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Post by Sandman »

Love me some Berserk :twisted:

Can't wait to see what they do with the intro into the next arc they better not fuck it up this time :evil:

I really cant believe Muira would have let them do half the things that they have did to the series with the whole first couple of episodes, the rest was on point for the most part.

The last episode I think that the tower fell too quickly and the goo was not as ominous as it should have been but puck and Ishidro were awesome.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

I agree with War Machines assessment. My main issue is not so much with the animation, though it was an issue for me especially at the beginning, I found the direction and pacing of key parts of the story to be off. What made the 90's anime work so well, was how well it was directed. The pacing was spot on, and the amazing soundtrack really allowed pivotal scenes and imagery to sink in with the audience, irregardless of what some may consider animation that is somewhat antiquated by today's standards. The new anime, even with the later episodes which actually stayed relatively true to the manga, failed to capture the tension of what was playing out. The leading up to and confrontation with Mozgus and his minions was a highlight for me in the manga, but it seemed lacking something in the anime.

Even more so the chaos leading up to and the pinnacle moment of Griffiths rebirth played out so well in the manga, but just didn't reach me at an emotional level in the anime.

In this anime I never got a sense of the stakes Guts is facing, where he is basically up against insurmountable odds where failure leads to his death and likely death of his comrades and beloved. While facing eternal damnation in the process. He came off like a force of nature, something we all know Guts isn't.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I agree with the general vibe around here regarding the series.

It had some high points (Guts rushing in to save Caska), some low points (fights tended to be super chaotic and messy) and some weirdness (Zodd looked almost like a kitty cat) but it was good overall. Not great, but not bad either.

I think, ultimately, the source material raised it way past mediocrity.

Which is another way of saying that I'm super biased.

Hopes for the next series?

1. Let scenes breath a bit more.
2. Get rid of the 2D stuff altogether, it's super jarring and mostly terribly animated.
3. Make your 3D models more expressive.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I admit, it wasn't perfect. I generally agree with the animation, sound, and pacing issues. However, with that said, personally I loved it. I'm definitely biased. I never even expected to see more Berserk anime at this point, so it's beyond my expectations to be honest. Maybe icing on the cake is a better way of saying it. Anyway, I was stoked when I saw the preview for next season. I can't wait to see more, definitely excited to see the Berserker Armor. I'm read for this new game to come out now too. This new chapter about to come out should be really good tho, so look forward to that!
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

Only watched the first episode. It sucked, even more so than the crappy movies. It's another shallow adaptation with no depth, no structure, an ugly animation and even a white-washed Casca to top it all off..
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Just finished up the last episode... :shock: MOAR!

There are times where the CGI/3D work and there are times where it just doesn't. I just hope that in the future, they can mask where it doesn't better.

The winged kitty-kat Zodd coming out of no-where threw my son for a loop "what the hell was that". I had to give him a bit of context there. Especially with who was what and why. This series is going to leave people behind who don't know the personages. I had to spend a bit of time explaining why the good looking guy is the real bad guy. I already bought him Berserk volume one in Dutch. ;) Told him if he wants to read the rest, learn either Japanese or English.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

Voldo wrote:Only watched the first episode. It sucked, even more so than the crappy movies. It's another shallow adaptation with no depth, no structure, an ugly animation and even a white-washed Casca to top it all off..
If you only watched the first episode, I don't see how you could be qualified to make such sweeping remarks about the character of the whole show. If you even read only a quarter of the posts in this thread since the show started airing you would see positive feedback from the rest of us after the first 2-3 episodes (which were admittedly somewhat bad partly due to animation, partly due to story though I can understand the reasons for the story changes).

Was it the new anime everything it could have been? Honestly, it was not but it was still good and if they are moving forward with the second season it must have been successful. It is so easy to sit back and criticize what was wrong instead of celebrating what was right. I sometimes think if the 90's anime was released today we would all be sitting here complaining about the filler episodes and how they cut out Wyld instead of praising it and holding it up as the standard to which we judge all subsequent adaptions.

And I really have absolutely no idea what the fuck you mean by a white washed Casca.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

I heard people whining that in the previews and opening scenes they showed a lighter skinned Casca, as if somehow the animators were going out of there way to make Casca white. As if this somehow there were racist undertones to this. Which is complete horseshit and who gives a flying fuck anyway. Also lets be honest if you're stuck in a cave for god knows how long there is a good chance you're gonna lose that golden tan acquired while fighting on the battlefield most your young adult life.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

somefatman wrote:I sometimes think if the 90's anime was released today we would all be sitting here complaining about the filler episodes and how they cut out Wyld instead of praising it and holding it up as the standard to which we judge all subsequent adaptions.
Fucking totally, man.

We love that show because it was the gateway into Berserk for many of us.

Maybe in a few years the same will be said of Berserk 2016.

I love that psi is encouraging his kids to read Berserk, btw. That's good fucking parenting in my book.

Also, I think I realized why Zodd looks like a kitty cat. They drew his pupils, he doesn't usually have them in the manga.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I always felt the '90s anime was bad.

: |
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:I always felt the '90s anime was bad.

Yeah but you've always been anti-establishment.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

... Is it too late to have Lord Mune sent to Mozgus as a heretic?
:D :lol:
bhaal
imanewbie

Post by bhaal »

At last, another soul that share the same view from that thing.
Don't fear the darkness until you see what light can do.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Istvan wrote:

... Is it too late to have Lord Mune sent to Mozgus as a heretic?
:D :lol:

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

bhaal wrote:

At last, another soul that share the same view from that thing.
So you found the other guy.
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

Only half of new anime have just come out , carrying the signs of being better than good-old one,and the seeds of dissent is already among the forum. :)
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Texanian wrote:Only half of new anime have just come out , carrying the signs of being better than good-old one,and the seeds of dissent is already among the forum. :)
It has already split the forum in two, those that like the new anime and heretics.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

Ohou !
Sooo ... does it mean another "Civil war" is coming ? )
What do the prophets say about that ?
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
bhaal
imanewbie

Post by bhaal »

Texanian wrote:Ohou !
I'm not a prophet, but let me make this observation:
Judging the current state of the forum, next civil war is gonna be fought with canes, walkers and portable medical ventilators, just saying. :shock:
Don't fear the darkness until you see what light can do.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

So whats the consensus guys? I've only watched the trailer and am def gonna watch what's out soon but I gotta say based on the trailers I'm not digging the animation style.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

bhaal wrote:
Texanian wrote:Ohou !
I'm not a prophet, but let me make this observation:
Judging the current state of the forum, next civil war is gonna be fought with canes, walkers and portable medical ventilators, just saying. :shock:
Haha. That would be quite a sight: Image
it is kinda hard to believe in this on this forum. ) Re-reading(or re-watching) Berserk always brings spirits back to teenage. I think, it's the fact we can't deny. :lol:

Peace !
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Buzkashi wrote:So whats the consensus guys? I've only watched the trailer and am def gonna watch what's out soon but I gotta say based on the trailers I'm not digging the animation style.
Consensus is positive throughout. Just watch it and come back with your impressions. We have the guillotine ready in case you come back blaspheming.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Well, lather up my neck and sharpen that blade, gentlemen, because I come bearing incontrovertible, blasphemous facts: The new anime looks like hot street garbage.
The old one was occasionally campy and silly, but at least it looked nice (when it was animated, that is. Lots of moving shots over still images).
This one looks fucking terrible. It's choppy, ugly and confusing.
I could have forgiven it all had they not cut the Lost Children Arc out, but as it is, I'm thinking to call it a wash, buy the DVDs and wait for the next adaptation.

Loved the sound design, though. I've been cooking while half-watching it and I can almost trick myself into thinking it's good when looking away.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Rolos wrote:I've been cooking while half-watching it and I can almost trick myself into thinking it's good when looking away.

This... it is distracting to watch sometimes, jerking/stiff animations. I'm wondering if this 3D thing was forced or rather they have a neat tool and want to use it everywhere. I'm really curious to know what the design decisions were... was it cheaper to do with fewer animators with CG? Did the studio working on it only do these kinds of things and Miura was interested, so why not?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it has happened and there will be more... but I had hoped for something less jarring/stiff.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Someone did a piece on what's wrong with the new anime, in terms of cinematography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kVU8uNdic

Honestly, the horrible fake-anime 3d cutscenes in Valkyria Chronicles looked better than this turd. At least you could follow what was happening in those. I just watched episode 5 and genuinely couldn't follow what was happening. I don't mean to be facetious, but how about we all acknowledge that this is bad, buy the damn thing to support it and hunker down for a remake?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope