Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Re: Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Post by Sandman »

Leave it to a new series of Berserk Anime to necro Old Users :twisted:

And bring in new ones :evil: JK :lol:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Hey, Femto, I disagree with whatever you're saying.

Episode 3 of the anime is amazing. We got rape horse, Farnese's crazy possession, and back-story to the first apostle to get killed by the dragon slayer. The hype is real.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

ehhh I think they also shifted the 3rd apostle's, (lord slug) daughter design onto the 1st apostles oujosama

is it me, or are farnese's nipples skin color and not pink? =\

Anyway. good episode. Ye, they are skipping 2nd, 3rd, and 4th apostle... and how he got the behelit =\ Unless there was something in the movies i missed.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

War Machine wrote:Hey, Femto, I disagree with whatever you're saying.
:smoken:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

There are no nipples on Farnese she is like a Barbie which is ok for me I guess :evil:

Not to sure I like how they set this one up its ok I still have hope :twisted:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

With so much Berserk activity lately, the gang is re-grouping. ;)
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

ahhh 4th episode went well, kept to the story pretty well, rather than changing much. They did change the apostle, was piggy, that attack them to a nameless red one. For a second, it looked like snakey, but nope. Completely nameless.
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Yup, I'm fully on board now. I mean, Mozgus is animated!! I never EVER thought this day would come :D
flashmozzg
imanewbie

Post by flashmozzg »

luciferian wrote: They did change the apostle, was piggy, that attack them to a nameless red one. For a second, it looked like snakey, but nope. Completely nameless.
The "piggy" (actually hound) apostle was given bigger role in Episode 3. The apostle we see in a flashback is the guy from Eclipse which attacked Judeau and Cacsa (he even has a knife in one of his eyes!).
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

I'm a bit sick of the anime backlash. There's no pleasing Berserk fans.
flashmozzg
imanewbie

Post by flashmozzg »

thepeaguy wrote:I'm a bit sick of the anime backlash. There's no pleasing Berserk fans.
It's justified though. Not some reactions, but overall. They've made some horrible decisions and it is inferior in many ways both to movies and 97 anime (especially in OST). The only good thing gooing for it - it's Berserk and finally getting that part of the story animated.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I think it's way too early to call it inferior. We're only 4 episodes in, people. Can we at least see how it pans out?

Most people are warming up to it already and these "horrible decisions" make sense if you think about it.

CGI is the way to go because nobody will draw those intricate armor and Apostle designs and make it look good on a budget. Again, the 2D stuff mostly looks bad in comparison (off model, bad anatomy, badly animated). It makes me cringe honestly and totally justifies the CGI stuff, which isn't perfect but has it's moments.

They cut Snake Baron, Count and Lost Children? Hate to say it but they don't add anything to the story. Neither did Wyald and he got cut twice already. Lost Children is a wonderful, touching, Berserk-ass Berserk piece of the storytelling and I absolutely love it but Guts is, arguably, in the exact same place emotionally before and after it. Would've loved to see it but, again, makes sense to me to have it cut.

Clang and music? Can't argue here, this is just preference really. 97 OST is godlike but I'm quite enjoying this one and won't fight to the death if you don't like it.

THAT'S MY TAKE ON BERSERK 2016 SO FAR, MOTHERFUCKERS!

STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES!
flashmozzg
imanewbie

Post by flashmozzg »

Femto wrote:I think it's way too early to call it inferior. We're only 4 episodes in, people. Can we at least see how it pans out?

Most people are warming up to it already and these "horrible decisions" make sense if you think about it.

CGI is the way to go because nobody will draw those intricate armor and Apostle designs and make it look good on a budget. Again, the 2D stuff mostly looks bad in comparison (off model, bad anatomy, badly animated). It makes me cringe honestly and totally justifies the CGI stuff, which isn't perfect but has it's moments.

They cut Snake Baron, Count and Lost Children? Hate to say it but they don't add anything to the story. Neither did Wyald and he got cut twice already. Lost Children is a wonderful, touching, Berserk-ass Berserk piece of the storytelling and I absolutely love it but Guts is, arguably, in the exact same place emotionally before and after it. Would've loved to see it but, again, makes sense to me to have it cut.

Clang and music? Can't argue here, this is just preference really. 97 OST is godlike but I'm quite enjoying this one and won't fight to the death if you don't like it.

THAT'S MY TAKE ON BERSERK 2016 SO FAR, MOTHERFUCKERS!

STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES!
2D stuff looks godly (albeit a little underanimated and not in the OP) compared to CGI. Guts CGI model had something horrible happen to his face, even PS2 game had model that looke more like guts. He has like super thin chin. Also, 1997 version has one of the best anime OSTs out there (though some of it was only used once or twice sadly). 2016 version has really "out-of-place" feel for its sound usage. Or like they didn't have something better (like Gut's theme from 97). It's either unnecessarily dramatic or just out-of-place guitar (they have some nice pieces but not used very well). (Btw, just realized that we both agree on that aspect ;P)

Lost Children Arc was important for GUts character development/introduction. He slowly loses it throughout this story arc, killing all the children and such. It's not THAT important to the overall story (so that's why I guess they left it out), but first 3 episodes felt VERY awkward and cringy for the most part because of how they butchered and stitched the original story together. Pucks is super out of place. Like he just appeared and everyone accepted that he is now part of the crew.

Btw, I think Clang is OK in general, but they way overuse it. I mean fighting knights/some apsotles? - FIne. But clanging while fighting ghosts? Wut?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Fair points all. Most of it is indeed preference, I suppose.

But I totally agree on Puck. In the third episode he's all like "Guts, do what you always do!" and I thought "what? Didn't you guys just meet like 3 hours ago?"

I still enjoy it a bunch regardless.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Loved the Berserk dog... hell hound... that was bad ass although they could have did the fire reflecting off his eye which was one of the coolest panels in the manga IMO... that is what I think is lacking so far is some of the greatest drawn stuff in berserk is not going to get its day to shine on the big screen... or little screen... I guess it depends on what you watch it on :twisted:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I'll say this about the animation which I noticed as I watched the last episode: I'm no longer thinking about it as I watch the anime. I've gotten used to it to the point where it's not pulling me out of it anymore.

My only problem now is that the subtitles sometimes go real fast and I can't look at the anime cause I'm concentrating on reading the subtitles.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

It has stopped bugging me too, but I have not had to much trouble with the subtitles... although I wish they would subtitle the intro song, sounds cool and all but it doesn't do much for me if I don't know what you are saying :evil:
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Watching episode 5, and had to pause to comment here. I'm moving on from being on board to getting fucking HYPE for this anime! Either I'm getting used to the 3D or the studio is getting better at animating the series. Probably a combination of the two.

Anyway, back to watching.
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

I was always fine with the 3d/2d, as long it doesnt look bad. As to the anime, its been good. Really good infact.

I am now waiting for the uncensored episodes to get released. The no nipples is bugging me =\ Its not that I need the nudity, it just feels off for me.

really liked the episode =)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah I agree about the clanging noise, it's nice when used properly, but sounds off when used against something like a ghost. Overall I've got a lot of nit-picks about things like the animation, the use of certain sounds and music at certain times, the pacing, the continuity, but overall I still think it's pretty great, and I'm loving it! Can't wait to see more. BTW, welcome back, Femto. Glad to see the smoke signals and ravens we sent out finally reached you, lol. :P
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hey man, this place has always been my favorite to talk Berserk and there's certainly a lot of Berserk to talk about these days.

By the way, can I say how much I loved that Guts vs. Kushan scene? That Susumu music never fails. I literally search for it on YouTube daily.

I was never against this new series but I'm liking it more and more with each episode. They seen to be getting their footing.

I hope they make it to the Reunion on the Hill of Swords at least.

Still my favorite scene in the entire manga.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

The Kushan fight was great. I'm pretty sure they're rendering more frames per second of the CG now- it looks way better, and while it's still not very smooth (and thus could look even better) it's definitely closer to 24 frames than the traditional <12 frames of 2D anime.

EDIT: Femto my dude, they're moving along at a brisk pace and I think 2 cours (~24 episodes) are confirmed, so I'm fairly sure we'll be seeing the reunion on the Hill of Swords. Possibly even Qliphoth, though that'd be a tight squeeze.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Mune, my lover, I've heard mixed reports about only 12 being confirmed as opposed to 24. Who knows?

If they make it to the Slan stuff I'll be pretty excited. If they make it to Berserker armor I'll probably wet myself a bit.

Really want to see how they handle Zodd too.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I'm particularly anxious for when Guts meets the Witch and her Apprentice (Schierke/Silke). This is when the shoe drops, apostles on their heels and Guts makes the choice to done Skull Knight's old armour... and release his inner hound. They hinted to this in one episode already. That was the high point for me post Golden Age.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

We got the goat man fight next episode, right? This is gonna be good.