Gundam Anonymous

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

If everyone agreed, then the world would be very boring. Go experiment and find out for yourself. :)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, when “Kill ‘em All” Tomino wrote V Gundam; he really earned his nickname with that one. It probably made Psi cry a whole bunch, and that’s why he doesn’t like it. :P

Nah, it just depends on what you’re going for. Tomino stated that he felt he had finally relayed the message about war that he’d been trying to convey, after he finished V. He then took like a vacation for several years. The reason for that was because he felt like he had accomplished something. He had been writing Gundam for years without stop before that. As you can imagine, the message about war is that it’s very tragic, and ultimately pointless. However, I felt the series was incredibly deep, and the ending was nuts, and I like that kind of thing, so that’s just my opinion. I say, it’s worth giving a chance. Check it out, and if you don’t like it, then I won’t hold it against you. It really is a very sad series. Not like Tomino’s latest work, King Gainer, which is bright and happy. It’s also a very cool series for those of you who haven’t seen it. ;)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I was dissapointed in the mobile armour design. Very weak. I don't like movies or series to preach morals at me, I know better. Tomino took a crap on my eye-balls.

Sorry if that offends you Starnum, just my gut-reaction. To each there own. :D
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I'm a little disappointed right now with the action in Wing. It's all very basic, no interesting 1on1 duels, and lots of reused scenes of the same types of MS being cut up or shot up or exploded in some way, not even mentioning the "good" gundams standing there all the time, totally motionless, while 20 hostile suits consistently miss even using tracers.

Now if the story were catchy enough to distract from the poor action then that would be good, but in the first 10 eps so far no luck.

When I have space on my HDD again I'll try to get one of the newer series, maybe the animation will be more detailed there.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Trust me the action is better in Seed and Destiny just cause there are new. For example in Destiny who is the newest gundam, the "bad" guys and the "good" guys have tied every battle in 26 eps the characthers are just screaming in thier Gundams without doing anything :P

Gundam Seed has pretty good action.

in Wing there will be alot 1 one 1 you just have to watch more and when they show alot MS blown up all the time they are just showing how much death there is in war and which side that is winning the battle.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Wing is vastly over rated. :lol:
"Context is for Kings"
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

psi29a wrote:To each there own. :D
Oh, definitely.

I can see how you felt some of the mech designs weren't all that great, but I thought the V2 Assault Buster was the shit! Not to mention the suit that Katejina piloted. I do like deep meaning and morals in my plot. It doesn't necessarily have to be there, but I enjoy it when it is. I also really enjoyed the feel of the characters, and I'm a fan of tragedies. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Grahf wrote:Wing is vastly over rated. :lol:
If Wing is then what is Seed and Destiny which every noob to Gundam shows thinks it the best Gundam ever ;)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I never denied that :lol: Though I rather watch GSD anyday of the week. XP

I like the older series better.
"Context is for Kings"
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Hmm, the fights get a little better later on, but the characters still all bug me as strange. It seems very much like they do whatever the story requires of them, always somehow manage to mess up in some way, and change their character according to popularity polls.

I'm sure the creators changed Lady Une halfway through the show because she got high popularity scores. At least she was the only really evil villain character at the beginning, then. Zechs is one of the very few who stays true to character, but even Treize is unrealistically reformed half-way through. I mean he's the guy who plotted for the gundams to destroy the pacifists within the earth alliance, and then suddenly he turns all goody goody (a slightly militiaristic goody goody though :)).

Well, like in ZZ, it all feels a bit constructed. The characters are not given enough time to show their development, and the story just rambles on.
So even though ZZ is supposed to be so bad, I haven't found anything better story/character-wise than the earth/desert stretch in ZZ, which easily beats all the main story arcs in ZZ and Wing so far.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I kind of know what you mean about the characters. That’s why I like most of the older UC stuff more myself. Like throw down with some Zeta, Victory, and of course the premium First Gundam shit.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I definitely have to get Zeta, still. Now if only my HDD was just around 200GB bigger.....
Brainpiercing
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

I believe u guys were talking about making a gundam live action movie in CG... Well they have done that and it was a disaster. It's called G-Savior and man oh man did it suk ass. Sunrise took a shit and forgot to flush... and i ate it raw.

I agree with Starnum that UC is the best. But I don't think V was all that good. My favs are 8th MS team, 0083, and Z.

I think there's too much money involved in the Gundam franchise now. All they care about now is the copyrights to the plamos and the games. So the quality of the plot and the character developement goes down the drain while they focus more on the eye candies.

I'm a huge gundam fan but these days I'm slowly beginning to lose interest. GS and GSD is so horrible in my opinion and can never match the greatness of the original gundam and Z.

Great Series: Gundam, 8th MS, 0080, 0083, Z, Char's Counnterattack, Wing, Turn A

OK Series: F91, V, X, God (It's funny to watch, what can i say?)

Bad Series: GS, GSD, ZZ

DON'T WATCH G-SAVIOR
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Well thats the problem are you going to get kids to go back and watch that?? I know a ton of people that loved Jet Lee's movie "fist of legend". What little did they know that it was really a beefed up version of fist of fury. ;)

Look at the movie industry nowadays "Amityville Horror", "The Longest Yard" and whatever else. They're all putting out these remakes. No shame in doing that my friend it is the nature of the beast. BTW GSD has plot and character developement. ;)
"Context is for Kings"
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

That is precisely the reason why i don't like the industry now. They do remakes just to make the money and because of that, alot of substance is lost in the process.

I also hate GSD for the fact that Kira has an Game Shark installed into Freedom where he has god mode and no clip mode. Asuran is the only character that has actual conflict and is actually interesting IMHO. But since he became a limp-dick he can't even bust a nut anymore which is sad to watch (I'm an Asuran fan)

Seed DOES have its moments... remember when Asuran and Kira both busted a nut and went nazi on each other? That was pretty exciting but that's about it.

I bet they are gonna make a movie called Gundam Seed: Asuran's Counterattack =_=
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

:lol: Asurans counterattack. It does seem like kira does have a gameshark for now. ;) BTW sorry about ASSuran

Anyway I'll be done downloading Zeta in 5 hours then I'll watch it. Though I watched the first 1 1/2 episodes and the subs are poorly done. The words are on top of one another. I hope its because I'm watching in well its downloading (probably not).
"Context is for Kings"
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

Zeta's one of the best series... I still like 0083 and 8th MS better tho... try gettig ur hands on those while ur at it. It's definitely worth the d/l
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Yeah my favorite gundam series is Stardust memory by far. 08th was alright but I don't know. Maybe I need to watch it again. *shrugs*
"Context is for Kings"
SniperTak
notanewb

Post by SniperTak »

Da best gundam series is G-GUNDAM!!! Jk. The worst tho, would be the one where they had real people as casts, and did gundam 3d thingies.... the writer had no concept of what gundam is supposed to be about... the name was G-savior(as To2fpic pointed out). Stardust memories are great, and also 8th ms team was pretty well made(though it seemed short). Of course, mirrars report was crap...
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

It was cool how they used the sabre to make a hot spring :o
The rest was shit tho i agree.

BTW, as of now. Kira and Asuran are both beating Char in terms of popularity. Sigh, the times are changing. (according to new-type magazine)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

DOn't worry once the seed popularity dies down Char will be number one again.
"Context is for Kings"
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Char is the greatest, period. :D Seed and it's spawn have almost 4 series and a movie to catch up on, before they can have enough character development to rival Char.
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

Damn Straight. That's why we see fat ass otakus dressing up as him all the time... *shudders*
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Heh, this thread isn't dead yet, good.

I've read about G-saviour and that it was total crap, and I guess that's sad. However, I still think it's time people made GOOD live-action mecha show. Even if it's not gundam, but any big-robot franchise. Battle-tech, what the hell.
Personally from the coolness factor people should make a live-action version of "Armour Hunter Mellowlink". No gundam character can rival that guy running up to a bigass mech with his anti-armour gun and ramming his rocket powered harpoon thingy into the cockpit. If any of you haven't watched mellowlink, DO, it's a really cool gritty show, even though the animation is dated and the mech designs are rather weak compared to gundam. It's up on Box, too, although the quality is poor. However, it's lucky you can get it at all, since it's so old.

I've watched more of Wing, but don't have enough time to finish it quickly. If you don't watch one episode after another you don't notice the flaws in the animation so much, and also the character changes don't seem quite as radical. Towards the end even the gundam pilots come away as slightly sympathetic, even though the side characters are still mostly better. It still lives by corny moments, though, like Lady Une's sudden revival and her being right on time with the 01 gundam to stop the shot from the big gun on the battleship aimed at Treize, and surviving that totally unharmed. Talk about "situational realism".
Brainpiercing
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

Yea Gundam Wing has its flaws, but i still enjoyed it because Wing Zero Custom is my fav gundam haha. As for Mellowlink, I was responsible for translating for the fansubs for like 3 eps but I got bored of the series and the work. Needless to say i don't have a very good opinion on that show. But I didn't watch it completely so can't say much about it.

PS. G-Savior ass raped me and I never recovered from it.