Gundam Anonymous

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Mellowlink is very episode oriented and the main arc doesn't appear until later. In the beginning it's just a morose guy going about blowing shit up, which, admittedly, doesn't have much going for itself. However, once the show progresses, it does get really good. Of course it's not realistic, but it achieves a sort of believability, actually more so than gundam.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

Well i guess i'll have to take your word for it then. I'm still a Gundam fan regardless :P
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

turn-a is turning into a letdown for me... ive seen about 24 of the episode by Hero-Legends and seriously... its like they dumbed down the suit designs to borderline retarded just to make the whole thing seem believable... the characters are beginning to piss me off too because they dont seem to be affected by anything thats going on around them at all... i thought it was cool how they put in stuff from other series but it isnt enough to me... all im saying is that its more of an OK series than a GREAT series.... X rocked FYI!!!! >:( "3.4 seconds to microwave!"
To2fPic
Mastered PM

Post by To2fPic »

I absolutely hate Turn-A gundam's design; I think it's atrotious. That's the main reason why Turn A almost bankrupt Bandai because they rely on gundam plamo sales and no one was buying Turn A models.

Anyways, any of you ever played g-generation? I played that game like there was no tomorrow. I dont' think anyone can beat my MS record.
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, I've played that game, it was cool. I like the Super Robot Wars games more though.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ack, you console players....

all PCs have in the way of big robots is mechwarrior.....:(

I've started watching V-Gundam, and Starnum hasn't promised too much. It's the first gundam show that could draw me in within a few eps. It has better characters than Wing, and not the ridiculous comedy style action of ZZ. It still has kids as main chars, but for once that's not so bad. It seems like a more gritty show than the others, which IMHO is good, too. And as for animation quality, for 1993 I don't think it's bad. Now I just hope the story can hold up with the rest of it.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hell yeah, V Gundam is the shit! Just wait dude, the story does get better. Oh my god, the ending climax is just nuts too! All fear the insane power of the Angel Halo! :P
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I'm about two-thirds through the series now.

For once the bad guys aren't even made sort-of good in V-Gundam. This makes the show a lot more believable. But I don't buy the strange ideals that those Zanscare guys follow. They are a lot like the nazis in the end, master-race fantasies tend to be more appealing than motherly love, especially when that weird motherly love is shown by lovingly massacring the populace.

I also hadn't previously noticed in other shows that core explosions are quite that dangerous. In other gundam shows the suits explode all the time, and it doesn't cause whole cities to be destroyed.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, nice insight. Yeah, and you've got to watch those core explosions. ;)
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Well, at least until I've taken a look at Zeta this is easily the best gundam show. At least most things that matter to me are good, which is characters, plot, and the action isn't too bad, although there are some inexplicable plot-devices there, too. However, I won't start nitpicking already, I'll wait until I've seen it all.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, Zeta is really good too. It just happened to come in at a close second for me. Let me know your final review when you finish, and enjoy! :P
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've finished Victory just now. Well, I have to say that while I really liked the series, the ending, meaning the last two eps or so, left much to be desired.
Spoilers ahead

Firstly, there are so many loose strings. What happened to the Halo? What happened to all the people affected by it? And why is this psycommu stuff actually some sort of magic, instead of just psi effects? The whole show gets a bit magical as soon as V2 is introduced, with its weird wings of light (which I must say were kind of corny, although I must say they looked pretty good.)
Secondly the weird way in which it distributes its sympathies at the end. A lot of the enemies get better death scenes than some of the long-time main characters. And for a show that gets so fantastical in the end, why kill off so many characters in such a short-hand manner? And that blond psycho bitch Katejina is even allowed a pathetic ending scene.

I'm not totally dissatisfied with the end, and the final verdict is still positive. The series mostly delivered very well for story, characters, atmosphere, and the visuals were ok, by gundam standards. At least they were mostly better than Wing's visuals, which are very inconsistent in comparison. Wing only ever put a lot of detail into the gundams, all the other suits were bland and generic, while V may not have had the high-detail gundam designs, at least the result seemed more homogenic.
I also found the main battle logic to be more concise in V. In Wing it was basically the gundams surviving because they could take a huge beating while other suits died in one hit. V had a lot of fast-paced battles, while Wing mostly had scenes of the gundams tearing up one wave of enemy suits after the next basically without moving at all.

So, final verdict probably is something like 9/10, with a full 10 most of the way, and the ending dragging it down. Still the best gundam show for me so far.
Last edited by Brainpiercing on Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, well I liked the ending, but to each their own. It seems that you enjoyed it quite a bit though, and that makes me happy. ;)
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ya, now I somehow have to clear 16 gigs of HDD space and get Zeta....
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes, indeed. It'll be well worth it. Where are you getting it from, box?
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Is there anywhere else? Box has the best user base for big downloads like this. So I get a good 50-60K/s average, often more, too. Only towards the end the speed goes down a little. And fortunately most high-profile series always have seeders.
So I already have 4 gigs even though I only started yesterday evening.
Brainpiercing
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I just watched the first episode of Turn A, and so far, it blows every single other Gundam out there out of the water.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I'm so tired of Gundam Seed Destiny cant you gundams fans recomend some other Gundam to me.

I want one that you dont need to watch other gundams of the same era to understand. Also i have seen only Wing,Seed,Destiny.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

Yeah, Gundam 8th M.S. team is sweet. Same Gundam 0080: War in the pocket... Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory.... wait... all the universal centuries are good... except g-saviour... And do not see G-Gundam... that fuckin sucked ass.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Tell me which one has the best action cause i want good action thats why i dont like Destiny anymore cause the action is lame.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

Oh then either Stardust Memory or 8th ms team
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Ok thanks
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

LordMune wrote:I just watched the first episode of Turn A, and so far, it blows every single other Gundam out there out of the water.
In what way? Visuals? Action? I don't think you can say anything else because characters and plot don't really come out until after a few eps.
Brainpiercing
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I would have to chalk it up to the visuals- I love the animation style and character design, as well as the setting. I also like Loran's attitude- he's not an asshole like Heero of Wing, and not as boring as Kira of Seed.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

I've started watching Z, well, I'm almost up to ep. 20. However, to me it's inferior to V. The characters don't seem as catching, the story sort of rambles on, the big picture hasn't developed yet. Also, the fights are sort of weird. In the beginning you don't get why Camille is supposed to be so good, because Quattro is much better in every fight. Then afterwards Amuro is better in every fight.
It also has more of the typical gundam bad guy problems. In one scene a minor vilain lays waste to a town and in the next complains that his boss takes hostages, because that's oh so despiccable.

Well, i'll watch some more and then judge again.
Brainpiercing