Shooters (Gradius V, Ikaruga, and the like...)

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I can only pull that off on the first stage. I'm allright on the 2nd stage. But after that....I can't handle it... and usually end up dying soon afterwards. I'm gonna be straight up though. If it wasnt for infinite credits I don't think I would have ever beaten the game. I've had the game going on 3 or 4 years now, and have only put about 23hours. I just picked it up after I started going crazy with shooters.

It amazes me that this shooter came out in 2001 and it still looks better than any other shooter that's been released since...except for maybe Senko no Ronde...and that's a big maybe. Hell RS looks better than most shooters released since then. I don't see how they were able to make the Saturn push those type of effects.

I've been watching alot of vids recently and I've noticed something. Theres a Chain counter in the top left...is that only fro the GC...because I have the DC version and it doesn't have a counter.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

The Saturn is an amazing machine with tons of power. Way more than the PSX. It is unfortunate that more developers did not push its amazing hardware.

Any who, I finally got a hold of some good recording programs for my PC, just have been lazy. Some time I will make a video of how I play Ikaruga or Gradius V. I am not a pro or any thing, but maybe my play will show you how to do some things different.

Oh, and as for the DC version of Ikaruga, I don't know. To be honest, I have the DC version but have never played it because I have a couple of good sticks for the GameCube. :P
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

Ayanami wrote:And Kccttzj should put up her score for Gradius V. It is pretty damn good. Not as good as mine though... :kekeke:
Ha, you're so FUNNY! =P I don't have my memory card at the moment, so I can't post my score yet since I don't know exactly what it is. I admit it's not as good as yours, but when I get my memory card back (David beat a ton of my high scores by the way :( :) ), I'm going to beat it!

I can't say I've tried chaining much in Radiant Silvergun. I tried a few times, and I just got annihilated. I've mostly played it on two player, but I think it's a fun two player game. I just have a ton of fun dodging some of the bullet patterns. I love those homing bullets! I would like to try chaining more, but most times when I play I just want to see everything, so I pay a lot more attention to that.

I like playing games for score, but I end up having a lot more fun when I'm not paying attention to my score. There's so many times I beat my high scores when I just pop in a game and play it.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Chaining the first couple sections of the first stage of Silvergun is not that hard. You just have to let a lot of shit pass on through. Unless you know exactly how to chain it so you can get the absolute perfect score by destroying every thing. I looked it up on some site once. It is very difficult to do so.

Delete and Repost revive. :D

Any who, my Jap PS2 has come in and I got Ibara as well as KOF XI. I have to say, at first the game is not all that impressive, but the more I play the more I think this game is just fantastic. The fiendish difficulty just makes the game more enjoyable to me. And I don't care what any one says, I think the patterns are possible to dodge for normal humans unlike Mushi which I just could not comprehend how a human can beat that shit.

God damn it, Cave needs to port ESP RaDe god damn it, god damn it.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

I don't think the patterns in Mushi or Ibara are possible. =P Nah, I know they are for some people, just not for me. I think Ibara is alright, but it's definitely not my favorite. The difficulty is probably what makes me keep going back to it, since it frustrates the hell out of me. Try playing Mushi on arranged mode, it's pretty fun.

Cave needs to port all their shooters they haven't ported. I'd really like to finally get to play Ketsui.

Ayanami, are you getting any other shooters that you know of yet? I know you said something about getting a few of them, but I wasn't sure which ones you were going to get. How far have you gotten in Ibara? I still can't get past stage 2.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Depending on what my brother decides to send me, I will get either...

Strikers I and II
Sengouku Blade and Ace
ESP Galuda
Dodonpachi Daioujou

Honestly, I hope that it is Dodon. That game is fantastic.

Any who, I still can't get past stage 2 consistently, but I have done it about 3 times now. It be hard work. And some times I will throw down in KOF since I like my fighters and all. And isn't the only one you guys don't have of that list Sengouku Blade/Ace? If my brother decides to get me that one I will have to bring it to the gatherings some time.

I have not actually been able to sit down with Mushi yet. Too busy keeping friends entertained and going to bars. You see, the cool thing about drinking is that it is almost as fun as shooters but takes absolutely no skill. :D
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Mushihimesama 2 coming out this year.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Found a used copy of Rez at the local Gamestop for $40. Awesome condition. I am psyched. :thumb:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I downloaded the ESPGaluda II OST.

God, the boss music kicks so much ass.

I'm afraid I don't have anything more meaningful to add to this thread at the moment.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

Tempest wrote:Found a used copy of Rez at the local Gamestop for $40. Awesome condition. I am psyched. :thumb:
:shock: :evil:

I check for this game every single time I go into a game store, and have yet to find it. I'm guessing you found it somewhere in my area too. I'm so jealous.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

It was at the Gamestop on Wayne road. Some dude came in I guess and dropped a whole bunch of games. There was a copy of Persona 2 I picked up in premium condition.

I just ordered Dodonpachi Doioujou. Should be here in short order. :headbang:
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Anyone seen any footage of Raide IV? I bet it's going to be just like Raiden III.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

I haven't seen any footage, but from what I've read, people seem to like it better than Raiden III. The ship speed is supposed to be faster and I guess the graphics are better, but it looks like they kept the same scoring system as Raiden III, so that's a little disappointing. I'm not sure about what weapons you get or level design though. It's cool they're still making shooters, and I did like Raiden III even though the ship speed is too slow IMO, but I would rather see them port some Raiden Fighters games first.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

The Raiden that needs to be ported on console is the Raiden in your avatar K.

Does any one know when the American Raiden III port is coming out?
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

I wish they would port RFJ. I can't really see why they wouldn't.

According to Gamespot.com, Raiden III is supposed to be out sometime in August or September. They could be wrong though.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Fuck Nanostray, look at this short but sweet tech demo for this shooter on the DS:

http://www.nibris.net/rotr_tech_demo.avi

Joystiq article.

It's called Raid Over the River and it really looks amazing.

I just hope the game itself plays well.

EDIT: ESPGaluda is awesome.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

I have to use a different PC to watch the tech demo, so I haven't seen it yet. Regardless, I'm excited about another shooter for the DS.

Milestone is working on another shooter. There's a link to the page for it, but all they have on it so far is just the announcement. Hopefully they'll have some more on it soon.

http://www.mile-stone.co.jp/product/krs/krs_top.html

ESPGaluda is awesome. I think the scoring system is a lot of fun. Kakusei mode seemed a bit strange at first, but once I got used to it, I thought it was awesome. I got to the point where I could get to stage 5 consistently without dying, but it gets all crazy. I don't know if you've credit fed it or not, but the last boss is just evil.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

kccttzj wrote:I don't know if you've credit fed it or not, but the last boss is just evil.
The first time I played it, I just continued until I finished the game.

I don't even know how you're supposed to beat that last part.

I've only played 3 lives/single credit since and can get to Stage 3 somewhat consistently.

My high score so far is about 7 mil.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

It took me a second to figure out how to kill it's last form, and it sucks.

There are some secrets you'll probably come across soon that'll help you out.

My high score is around 12 million up to Stage 5. I got to that point where I wasn't doing any better than that, so I stopped playing for a while. I need to get back to it though. I haven't played many PS2 games lately.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Got 9.3 mil today.

Died in the last form of the Stage 3 boss.

I'm not really using the shield to it's fullest, i.e. at all, so I need to work on that.

I also saw the DVD that comes with the game.

It has perfect runs of both Ageha and Tateha that near 60 mil.

My jaw has not yet returned to it's natural position.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Damn Femto, 9.3 mil, I can only get around 5.7 mil. I need to watch that DVD, I could probably see some good scoring strats in there.

Any tips on scoring in this game. I am getting better, but I still need a lot of work. Is it better to use Kakusei a ton even when you don't have many green gems, or should you wait till you have about 300 of those bad boys and then kill something nasty to get a ton of points?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Ayanami wrote:Damn Femto, 9.3 mil, I can only get around 5.7 mil. I need to watch that DVD, I could probably see some good scoring strats in there.

Any tips on scoring in this game. I am getting better, but I still need a lot of work. Is it better to use Kakusei a ton even when you don't have many green gems, or should you wait till you have about 300 of those bad boys and then kill something nasty to get a ton of points?
I've found out that it's better to use gems in chunks of 200-300 in specific areas of the level to get most points. It's not the perfect way to maximize gems, but it works for me and gives me a decent score for my level.

The life on the 3rd Stage is a must and be sure to kill enemies with the regular shot at the very top of the screen whenever possible, you get more gems that way.

The whole scoring mechanic in this game is just really well put together.

It requires a lot of thought but doesn't force to slow down and be super careful with what you shoot and when like Ikaruga.

I'm liking this game a lot.

Mushihimesama is meh.

UPDATE: I almost broke 10 mil.

I got all the way to Stage 3 without dying and proceeded to lose 3 lives in the most stupid ways. That completely killed my gold counter and really hurt my score. I killed that boss without dying too but I had no hopes of getting through Stage 4, which I'd only played a couple of times before.

Also, weed does not make you better at Mushihimesama.

Just a heads-up.

UPDATE 2: Got over 12 mil.

Screwed up a few times scoring-wise, died halfway through the Stage 4 boss.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Got 8.7 million the other day and can't beat that. :cry:

Too busy with class right now, will try with more gusto on the week end.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Mushihimesama Futari locations tests pics and videos:

http://www.nozomi.nl/2006/09/11/mushihi ... /#more-265

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=x60DPWfxWQI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=onVmo0x1p5I[/youtube]

That's all cool and all but where's the ESPGaluda II PS2 port?
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Exactly. I've been waiting for ESPGaluda 2, but no announcements have been made. Maybe we'll see something at TGS about a PS2 port.