Shooters (Gradius V, Ikaruga, and the like...)

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Hah hah, I'm actually playing Gradius V right now. I got it with Radiant Silvergun.

I thought there was supposed to be a way to customize you ship in Gradius V? But there isn't. Am I supposed to beat the game?
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

If you are speaking of weapon edit, then yeah, you have to beat the game to do that. I am a fan of just picking one of the 4 types though. Type 4 all the way!

I am surprised you didn't have Gradius V actually Darken, but those are two awesome shooters to get. My two favorites actually.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Yeah,

I never knew it existed until I went looking for Radiant Silvergun....

And just a few minutes ago I read the whole heading to this topic and saw Gradius V up there....How shameful.

I'm waiting on Taito's Legends II...it's going to have Darius Gaiden, G-Darius, and Raystorm all there...plus a couple of other shooters I've never played. I've only played G-Darius out of the 3 I mentioned. You know anything about Raystorm and Darius Gaiden? Any good?

*Back to RS* I swear that the game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I was thinking about grabbing the Taito memories versions. But if Legends 2 is gonna have all that... perhaps I will just wait for those.

Any who, I like Darius Gaiden more than the much more appreciated G Darius. Mostly because of the much smoother cleaner pre rendered graphics. But is extremely hard, and I am talking cheap hard.

And as for Ray Storm, I have not played it so I don't know. Every one says that Ray Storm and Ray Crises don't hold a candle to Ray Force. Which makes me wonder.... is Ray Force on Taito Legends 2, and if not, why?
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Rayforce is only on PC and Xbox versions, but the PC and XBox versions don't have G Darius or Raystorm. To solve this problem I'm goign to buy the PS2 version and d/l the PC version.

So is Ikaruga a Sequal to RS? I mean I don't know the story of either since both version I have are Japanese.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

You should actually get a hold of Ray Force for the Saturn. American = Galactic Attack, Japanese = Layer Section. Probably the best version of the game. And it is very much so worth it. There is also an American Darius Gaiden on Saturn. Hell, Ray Storm is on Saturn as well, Japn only and it is called Layer Section 2.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Can burned games be played on Saturn with a Cart? What program is best suited to rip a Saturn .iso? I don't what to even handle this Radiant Silvergun CD much. I think I'm going to find a special place to put it.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

DarkenRahlX wrote: So is Ikaruga a Sequal to RS? I mean I don't know the story of either since both version I have are Japanese.
Radiant Silvergun! I love this game.

From everything that I have read/heard, Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun are a part of a trilogy. I've seen an interview with Treasure that said too. I'm not really sure how the story matches up, but there's that diamond/pyramid thing that's present in both games, and the endings are also similar. I've never actually seen the ending if Ikaruga though.

The chaining in this game is really hard, but it's a lot of fun. It's cool, bcause it's a game that I can pick up and play for fun or for score and I still have a lot of fun playing it. I think it's also fun to play on two-player. Some of the bullet patterns are insanely awesome, and the music is awesome too. It does suck that it costs so much money. It would be nice for more people to be able to enjoy the game, but with the price being so high a lot of people can't/won't. It's hard to justify spending that much on a game for a lot of people, no matter how great it may be.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

So...If it's part of a trilogy...there's still one more game to be made...awesome. Maybe when the third game is released they will include all of them on a single disc.

Just found out Treasure developed Gradius V.....cool. Did not know that.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

Yeah, they mentioned something in the article about the third one. I'll have to find that article again to see exactly what it was that they said about it.

They're supposedly working on a game for the 360, but I've heard that it might be a sequel to Sin and Punishment... Nobody has said for sure what it's going to be though.

I'm still wondering who was planned to develop Gradius 6.

Speaking of Gradius, just wanted to mention that the Gradius Collection for PSP will be out on June 6th. It has Gradius 1, 2, 3, 4, and Gradius Gaiden. :D
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

DarkenRahlX wrote:Can burned games be played on Saturn with a Cart? What program is best suited to rip a Saturn .iso? I don't what to even handle this Radiant Silvergun CD much. I think I'm going to find a special place to put it.
All ya gotta do is make a copy of the game with a burning program, I use Nero. Then, you have to open up your Saturn and tape the button down that tells the Saturn the door is open or closed. After that, you do a swap trick. If you have a model 2, it is pretty hard, you have to listen to the motor. I would google it, that is what I did when I was trying to get it down. Some dude made a video of the swap trick, I will try and find it again.

EDIT - Be warned, swap trick cuts the life span of the motor on the Saturn, I would do it on a spare if you have one. If you could find a spare model 1, then you would be in buisness considering the lights tell you when to swap the discs in and out.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Sounds like too much of a hassle for me ><. I have a Model 2. I'll just stick to playing the real version I guess.

I'm all psyched up about the final game to the trilogy.

Radirgy comes out to PS2 on the 25th...it's some kind of cell shaded shooter. Pink Sweets and Espgaluda 2 haven't been announced for PS2 yet. There's sure to be more shooters pop up at this years TGS.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Radirgy is already on Dreamcast if you want it.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Wow I did not know that. You don't think the Gamecube or PS2 version will have extras?

Have you played it yet? Is it worth the money?
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I have no idea about the PS2 or GameCube versions actually.

I like Radirgy though, it is cool and very relaxed. The bullet patterns are slow and the style is unique to shooters being cell shaded and all. I would get it to try it out, but you may want to grab the PS2 or GC versions if they are cheaper. Isn't the Dreamcast version expensive as all hell? I can't remember. I have not bought a shooter in a while. So I don't know what the hell it is going for now a days.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

What shooters are you guys currently playing. I want to do some high score runs against you guys.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

DarkenRahlX wrote:What shooters are you guys currently playing. I want to do some high score runs against you guys.
I am up for every thing and any thing. I could play Silvergun for points, but it has been a while and I am not the greatest at it.

My Saturn's rom slot died on me so I can't play my legit jap titles. I could try to burn and do swap trick, but I have not had too much luck with the swap trick on my Dodonpachi. (Which makes me very, very sad...)

Any who, I am always down for Gradius V, Ikaruga, Silvergun, Dodonpachi, Battle Garrega (I only have the MAME version...), and Ray Force or Galactic Attack. Hell, I am down for any shooter score war pretty much. Just name one you want to play and I will tell you if I have it or not. :D
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Gradius V.

Also, you know if Psyvariar 2 is any good. Man I don't know what it is... I got the shmups bug or something... I can't stop.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

There is nothing wrong with the Shmups bug. It is a very healthy thing actually. :D

Gradius V eh? Hope my score does not intimidate you... :kekeke:

I have played this game a monstrous amount of time though.

Ayanami - Gradius V - 1,665,920 - Stage 1-6 - Type 4 :headbang:

EDIT - Psyvariar 2 is pretty damn good IMO. But I wouldn't shell out more than a $100 for it. I think it was going for something like $75 on Dreamcast last I checked. I don't know about the other versions....
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

What difficulty did you have Gradius set on?
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Normal. I play on all defaults.

EDIT - Except controls because I use a hori stick.

And Kccttzj should put up her score for Gradius V. It is pretty damn good. Not as good as mine though... :kekeke:
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

I haven't picked up Gradius V in a while. I'm going to have to play it again. I doubt I'll get any good scores on it, but I like playing it.

I've been playing a lot of shooters lately. I was playing some of my PS2 shooters for a little while, but I've been playing Space Megaforce and some older shooters a lot too. I posted my scores for a few of my PS2 shooters on the last page I think.

I'd be up for some high score runs, but I don't usually get good scores. It's cool though, because it gets me back playing games I forgot about or haven't played in a long time. :)
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

This is what I was able to do in Silvergun.

Ayanami - Radiant Silvergun - 1,708,780 - ARCADE - A=9/B=5/C=11

It says stage - when I go to my rank. It is pretty much the first stage that you play though. Hard as shit this game. Especially when you are trying to chain. I imagined that if we were to do some score play on Silvergun, that we would stick to Arcade to keep things even. Considering who knows how powered up your guns are and stuff.

I need to work on using my other guns more. :cry:
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

I don't remember well but on Gradius V I had a score of around 920,000 Stage 1-4. I suck

I'm not even posting my RS score...shameful. I still need to do a couple of runs through the game.

Ikaruga

Stage 1 - 3,014,070 Chain 94 / Boss 69 sec.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Considering you have had Gradius V for only a short time, I say that is a damn fine score. Be proud Darken.

Any who, that is a mighty fine Ikaruga score, I will have to flip my TV and start playing that sweet action again. I will have to dig up my score for Ikaruga, give me a little while to clean my room and shit. It is an abyss right now.