Shooters (Gradius V, Ikaruga, and the like...)

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

I hear ya, but I am sooo done with Ikaruga. Maybe I will pick it up again for another play, but I doubt it.
The Fallen
notanewb

Post by The Fallen »

7,589,102 - dodonpachi

I know its nothing to hardcore shooter players but damnit im proud of it.
Greed, Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, Pride, Lust, and Wrath :To you they are the 7 deadly sins, to me they are the very reason of my existence...
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

What stage did you get to??
The Fallen
notanewb

Post by The Fallen »

i think that was my end score when i beat the game. I havent been playing many shooters as of late, i should really get back into it before i get too rusty.
Greed, Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, Pride, Lust, and Wrath :To you they are the 7 deadly sins, to me they are the very reason of my existence...
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

The Fallen wrote:i think that was my end score when i beat the game. I havent been playing many shooters as of late, i should really get back into it before i get too rusty.
Wap, when you get a high score, it is with out continues you moron. I know you did not beat Dodonpachi 1cc. You go untill you run out of lives and then don't continue. Then you post your high score from that.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

http://www.super-play.co.uk/

You can piss yourself now, Ayanami.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Bump.

Alright, here is my first shot at making a vid. A series of vids in this case actually.

This is a Gradius V play up to stage 1-6 that I recorded. This is the first video I made so it is far from perfect. The quality issues I am still working on, I need a better screen capture program, and the sound didn't carry over, so I just slapped some music together. The stages have their own video respectively and I must say I played pretty well with some few major screw ups here and there.

Any who, here is the link for those interested, and the files are tiny, so it should not be a problem to download.

EDIT - File has been taken off because of inactivity. :cry:
Last edited by Ayanami on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Played trizeal for the first time, pretty cool game even though I suck.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

Femto wrote:I've seen vids of ESPgaluda and it seems like the more bullets are on screen when you slow down time and destroy the enemy that sends them, the higher your score. Then again, you probably knew that already.

The bullet patterns in the game look pretty awesome, but I thought that the fact that they're kids with wings instead of airships was pretty stupid.

If you can hook me up with a site that has some decent Cave videos, I'd really appreciate it.

It seems like they're impossible to find.
Wow, this is like 3 months after the fact, so I doubt it even matters now, but I did find a site that might have what you're looking for. You probably already found it, but here it is anyway. I'm honestly not even sure if the videos are still up or anything as I can't DL them to see what they're like.

http://www.super-play.co.uk/index.php?c ... &gameid=40

The PS2 has definitely become the system for shooters recently. Even the ones being released for Dreamcast are getting PS2 releases, except for Under Defeat, I haven't seen anything on a PS2 release for that one yet.

Anyway, about ESPGaluda, the scoring system for it is actually really cool. It seems like a lot of people don't really like this game, but I really like it and have spent a lot of time with it. Basically, you have normal mode and kakusei mode. In normal mode when you kill enemies you get these green gems from killing enemies. Green gems max out at 500. When you're in Kakusei mode, all the bullets from an enemy you kill turn into gold and that number maxes out at 1000. In Kakusei mode everything slows down, but only until your Kakusei bar runs out (which is determined by how many green gems you have and they count down while you're in Kakusei mode), and after your bar runs out the bullets go really fast, and the bullets don't turn into gold, you just get a few pieces from each enemy in the same way you get green gems from enemies in normal mode. You also have a barrier that absorbs bullets, but that can also run out. You do get things to refill it every once in a while though. In kakusei mode you can also get hit by bullets, but it takes away from your barrier and your counter counts down faster for a second. Heh, don't know if any of that makes sense, but it might help in watching the video, or I guess you could figure that out from watching the video. I just like the idea of controlling the slowdown and everything.

I actually got to play Trizeal only once, and I dont remember that much about it except that I did like it. I'd like to get ahold of this game sometime, but with all these import shooters it gets expensive.

Has anyone played Ibara yet, or anything else? Ibara is seriously too hard. I wish I could tate my TV. In games like Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou the bullets are bigger, so I don't have too much of a problem playing it in normal mode, but the bullets in Ibara are SO TINY. Most times it's just irritating because I seriously have no idea what killed me. It doesn't deter me from playing it though. :)
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

It's not that I don't like ESP Galuda, I just prefer other Cave games like Ibara and what not. Been saving up that cash, hopefully will be able to get that jap PS2 with Ibara soon.....

And I liked Trizeal a lot, it is basic as all hell, but I thought it was a cool and relaxed shooter like that Radirgy.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Ibara is the only shooter that really looks awesome to me right now.

Homura let me down

Raiden III was all right

Chaos Field was...something

I've seen some ESP Galuda II...but I don't think it's on consoles yet.

Any other new shooters?
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

DarkenRahlX wrote:Homura let me down
I thought you were digging this game hardcore Darken. What let ya down about it?

As for new shooters, there is that Under Defeat for the Dreamcast that is kinda like a Zero Gunner 2 rip off only you go straight vertical or some thing like that. I would like to get it because G Rev makes it, but it is going for quite the pretty penny.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Not enough stages and it was kind of too easy.

I want to get Senko No Ronde when it's released. That game seems to look like it plays well.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

Ibara is a great game, but HARD. The rank just kills me.

New shooters... The only ones that have been released on console as of late as far as I know are Under Defeat and Radirgy for DC. ESPGaluda II isn't out on console yet, but I'm sure it will be sometime in the future. The only other ones I can think of are Pink Sweets, which is supposed to be some sort of sequel to Ibara, and Trigger Heart Exelica by Warashi. Pink Sweets will probably get ported since all of Cave's shooters seemed to get ported now. I've heard it's a lot easier than Ibara though. I've heard Trigger Heart Exelica isn't very good, and I don't know what the chances of a port are anyway.

I'm interested in Senko No Ronde too. I've seen video of it, but I'm still not completely sure of how it works. I was really surprised when I found out they were porting it to the 360.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

It's some kind of Vs. shooter. I played it twice and died really fast....but it was too cool. I don't know how to activate their super moves or anything.
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

That's what I didn't get from the video. I knew it was a Vs. shooter, but I'm really interested in the play mechanics. Where did you play it?
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

My guess is that Darken played it at some arcade. I believe he lives in Atlanta and I guess the arcade seen is not dead down there. Darken has talked about playing KOFXI in the past...... bastard.....
kccttzj
imanewbie

Post by kccttzj »

Finally played XII Stag today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be since it seemed like most people trashed it. The weapon system is a little boring, since you only get one and it doesn't really seem to power up. It actually kind of reminds me of the default weapon you get in Nanostray. It's also got this weird "side attack" thing that you can do when you hit the d-pad left and right repeatedly. It doesn't have bombs either, but instead you get this barrier that you shoot out and absorbs all the bullets. It's not all flashy or anything, but it's still fun to play. It's different than all the manic shooters that I have for my PS2, so it's a welcome change. I didn't play it for very long, so I can't say much about the scoring system or anything yet. Has anyone else played it at all?
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I'm lost in all of this, I'ld like to find good shooters for my PS2 but they don't seem to be on the shelves. Do you guys import them or get them through internet?
I have ONE shooter that's called Sylpheed, I found the graphics and videos breathtaking, but got stuck at the 3rd boss (some fucking cockroach rolling in a wheel like a cage hamster, no joke). Getting owned by this bastard made me quit.
Does anybody remember a shooter called XenonII? Old times, I wish they reedit it.
Plain and simple: I love to shoot at stuffs from my spaceship but suck at it. Any suggestions for me, something not too hard?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Albator wrote:Any suggestions for me, something not too hard?
Shooters are short and all about being arcadey, so you won't find one that isn't at least hard as fuck.

That being said, Gradius V for the PS2 is available worldwide is one amazing game. Ikaruga is available for the GC and it is also tops, but probably much harder than Gradius V.

R-Type Final is supposed to be pretty good too, but I haven't played it myself.

Aside from those, importing is the only way to go.

ESPGaluda, Mushihimesama and Ibara are all supposed to be great and worth checking out if you want to go that route.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

OoOooh R-Type, now we are talking. Very familiar. I'm going to check that out. Beam!
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Ibara's soundtrack has to be one of the bests soundtracks ever in a shooter. I was pumped up when the first track of the game came up. The gameplay is awesome too. It's very hectic. There are 2 different modes of play too which changes the mechanics of the game.

If you want to import you can't go wrong with Espgaluda and Ibara.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Don't get R-Type Final. It sucks. Most boring shooter ever. Silpheed also sucks on PS2 and I am sorry that it is the only shooter you have.

American shooters on the PS2 that are worth picking up are Gradius V and Castle of Shikigami 2 which is 20 bucks brand new and cheaper used. Gradius V is one of my favorite shooters of all time, fantastic game. I think it is 30 new.
The Fallen
notanewb

Post by The Fallen »

alright ayanami, dodonpachi 10,900,300. Strikers 1945+: 320,000. no continues. Still not much but not too bad. BTW have you played as the ascender in 1945+? I stumbled across it when i hit random the other day.
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

No I have not, have not played those two games in a long time actually, been too busy playing Beatmania and other shit.

I will have to check it out some time.

I will see if I can also beat those scores and what not, but scoring with chains in Dodonpachi is a bitch in a half. I used to be pretty pimp at it though....