Basilisk

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Raenius
imanewbie

Basilisk

Post by Raenius »

I'm just a little curious about what do you guys think of this battle-royale-ninja manga...

If you don't know it, you can find it at mangass.com... it's worth a try!
Nothing is as easy as it looks.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I have read it a while and like it very much,i speciely like the art style, the faces and eyes are so diffrent from other mangas.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Raenius
imanewbie

Post by Raenius »

Sorry for the delayed replay, I was on a trip work...

The art are really something (especially the gals :wink: ), but the development of story is not bad either... I hope this manga will continue like the beginning of Vol. 2!
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I haven't read chap 7 yet but im looking forward to more fight and how the story goes.

Also an anime made by Gonzo is coming this month,hope its as good as the manga.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Raenius
imanewbie

Post by Raenius »

I've checked it and found the character page in the official site.

**Spoiler for those who wants to read V. 1**

http://www.showtime.jp/animation/basilisk/character/

The funny thing is... watching this page, you can't tell which is the "good" team! :wink:

...in the manga as well.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Thats cause there isnt a good team or a bad team since this a fight about which clan is the strongest and will be knows as the strongest. That they have hated eachother for centurys is just more feul to the fire.
Raenius
imanewbie

Post by Raenius »

Libaax wrote:Thats cause there isnt a good team or a bad team since this a fight about which clan is the strongest and will be knows as the strongest. That they have hated eachother for centurys is just more feul to the fire.
You're right... but I'm still for the Kogas; the Igas are too sly... it's just the feeling they gives me.

But according to a friend of mine, for example, the Igas are doing exactly what a ninja has to do and so he wish for their victory. Different points of view. :)
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

Looks interesting, I will give it a shot.
ShINZ
imanewbie

Post by ShINZ »

i watched the anime then i came here it's agood story ;))
and hope for more fight though
but in eps 12 it's realy getting interesting does the manga go far from what happen in the anime?? cos if so i wont read it
-Beyond The Grave-
Emppu
imanewbie

Post by Emppu »

Haven't seen the anime so can't really compare, but... There are only 12 chapters of manga translated so neither can be too far ahead... :?
If life deals you a bad hand... cheat.
TheDarkness
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by TheDarkness »

the anime is beyond the currently scanlated manga part
martyr3810
Mastered PM

Post by martyr3810 »

Not surprisingly I like the manga better than the anime and its good so far, but does it seem a bit rushed to anyone else?
I am without a home and in that I find my place in it all.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I also like the manga more than the anime but i stopped reading the cause the anime is ahead of the manga.

The art in manga is awesome i will read the manga when i'm finished with the anime just cause of the art.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

martyr3810 wrote:Not surprisingly I like the manga better than the anime and its good so far, but does it seem a bit rushed to anyone else?
With this sort of manga and anime the anime will usually seem a lot slower, because you can rush through a whole page of panels, while you'll sit an watch a slow bit where they do nothing but show the face of a protagonist agonising over something.

So yeah, the manga seemed rushed. However, I think the relationship between Oboro and Gennosuke still came out better in the manga, although I haven't really read very much.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

I just read the last chapters of that manga and....woah, that was some great manga.
I think that is how a story about ninja should be: vicious, cruel, a battle of wits (see Saemon). It's been awhile since I had such satisfying read. But the relation Oboro/Gennosuke plus the art really was what separate this manga from the bulk.
The size (5 vol) is actually not an issue, it would be a plus: I tend to see wat too much mangas who keep going way past their expiration dates. The concise size, in this case, allowed for very decisives battles charged with tension.
In short, Basilisk will a a place of choice in my library!
Edit:I don't think necro apply to this thread since the last chapters just came out and they conclude the manga on an expected, but nevertheless very touching note. Since EG is somehow the Berserk place, Basilisk deserve more love.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

To answer a question in another thread about wannabe and gay ninjas (they're useless too), Basilisk anime and manga are pretty much carbon copy of each other, it's rare but the enime is actually at the same level as the manga.

SO yeah, go read it and if you like it (as you should) and have japanese-english translation skills, come and help us to get the other work of the mangaka out, a sequel (or a prequel actually, I'm not sure since we need this monster translated) of Basilisk.
N3oShweaty
This is my new home

Post by N3oShweaty »

what is the name of the followup?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The last thing I want is another scanlation group stealing this project, which is why I haven't said or announced anything about a followup or anything else. Yes, we have started a bit of it, and yes, you will know the title once we release it. I didn't want anyone to know about it to risk if any other scanlation group takes the project from us, and somehow the cat is out of the bag here.

If anyone's interested in translating it, send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Man it would awesome if EG did this.

I thought it was a totaly diffrent manga but if its a prequal or sequal i really hope the scans comes out.

Albator maybe you or your friend/friends who wants to scanlate this manga can help Eldo do this?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Albator is already part of EG and we have tried to get translators for this and also other projects as well.

I'm quite dissatisfied with the lack of response or interest in our projects, but what can we do? Probably nothing much.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Thats cause sadly most translators wants to mainstream mangas the only mainstreams mangas EG have is Zetman and Berserk.

Still hope someone wants to translate this manga.

Have you put in #lurk that you need translator for this manga? Maybe some leecher will want to help cause he is a fan of the anime or manga.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Indirectly, you guys made me read the first vol of Basilisk. I must say I'm impressed and I like it. So thx ...
dronedevil
notanewb

Post by dronedevil »

I like basilisk. I'm planning on buying vol 3 this weekend. The animated series I'm still on the fence about since the voice acting turned me off.