Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence and seisouhen

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, we know Kenji would never get the chance to use Hiten Mitsurugi as both Kenshin and Seijuro said they wouldn’t pass it on anymore. Other than that, Enishi was way cooler in the manga. It's like, they tried to cram twenty something volumes into two episode, horrible idea. On top of making up some stupid ass shit...it was just disgusting. *Shrugs*
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Maybe you just think like that because you've read the manga before watching the OVA. Reminiscence and seisouhen are the best OVAs I've ever watched and I'm sure many people can confirm that.
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Sahlen wrote:Maybe you just think like that because you've read the manga before watching the OVA.
Well, since the one of the OVA was based on the manga...

And this other movie about Kenshin's son and all sounds like a load of crap. No offense, but this 'killer' disease Kenshin that contracted sounds like it wasn't the author's original intent, and that this movie was made to try to score some cash by misusing Kenshin's name. What a pitiful way for a legend to die. I rather he died in battle or old age. I haven't watched it, but I heard enough to not want to watch. But then again, I only watched the first 20 minutes of the other OVA too. I own the manga too, by the way.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Ok maybe seisouhen :roll:
But you've got to watch the first 4 OVA (Remiscenece).
You can talk shit about seisouhen but not about reminiscence. :?
Well at least that's my opinion...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Sahlen wrote:Maybe you just think like that because you've read the manga before watching the OVA. Reminiscence and seisouhen are the best OVAs I've ever watched and I'm sure many people can confirm that.
Maybe you don't know what you're talking about. I saw the OAV’s first. The first four OAV’s are very good, no doubt. However, in the manga, you get much more detail. Have you read the manga? The manga section of the flashback to when Kenshin was the Hitokiri Battousai had more depth to it, and there was just more of it. Truthfully, the OAV is rushed in comparison.

Oh, and don't even get me started with Reflection. Those last two episodes weren't even written by Watsuki-san. They took a few clips from the manga, butchered them, and then sprinkled on some made up shit just to make it stink to high heaven. Nuff said. ;)
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Ok than I am convinced now.
If the manga is better than the first 4 OVA it must be the ultimate one.
The story I've been seeking for my whole life :D

Ok now I've got to search for the volumes.
Anyone knows where I can get some torrents?

PS. I will be back in 2 weeks (holidays)
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

Torrents for that are unlikely. Use IRC if I remember correctly neverwhere has the whole series. If not him then ckmoney would.
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Ok thaks for the advice
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

Whats wrong with alternative endings?

thought the ending was 'not good' but realistic.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

Theres nothing against alternative endings but it seams that fans of the manga think that the other ending is totaly fucked up :?
Maybe Starnum will show up and say something ^^
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well yeah, it’s totally fucked up. I mean, first of all, you got Kenshin acting out of character. He just ups and leaves Kaoru and Kenji for no apparent reason. Then you’ve got the bullshit about Kenshin and Kaoru having aids or some shit. It just seems to come out of nowhere, and it really just feels like a pile of crap they pulled out of their asses and tried to market to the fans by slapping the renown Rurouni Kenshin name on it. It’s fake and shameful, in my opinion *shrugs*.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Good thing I never watched it then :).

Reminiscence is great, though.

I've started reading Kenshin manga, too, but it's really damn long, and the anime displayed lots of this stuff quite well, so it's not very interesting right now. I'll just have to hang on until I get to places the anime leaves out or does badly.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, pay attention to the part where Kenshin goes to retrieve Tomoe. You'll notice they do more with the ninja that he encounters on his way there. The stuff following this with Enishi is really awesome too. Oh, and there's that one part that's so sad, heh.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

I am up to the part where the battle with Shishio is over, and everyone is resting, etc. I was advised to leave it at that, and do not continue the manga afterwards because it all goes down hill from there. What say you?!

::There was a question here that was removed, and you shall not read it::

Edit: EH?! Theirs a manga version of the first 4 OVA's? :shock:
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
RedEyes
n00b Smasher

Post by RedEyes »

I think they were talking about the TV series, not the manga. After the Kyoto arc ends at episode 62, TV series diverges from the manga and IMO you can stop watching the TV series at that point.

I would say, go on and read the rest of the manga. After the Kyoto arc you've just finished, there is a beautiful flashback arc where Kenshin talks about his past. This is the part summarized in Reminiscence OVAs, aka Trust and Betrayal. Then, there is an arc where Kenshin and Enishi fights.

Seisohuen OVAs has got nothing to do with the manga, except introducing Enishi, and they basically have an alternative ending to Kenshin. I definitely prefer the way Watsuki ends his own manga, not the one given in Seisohuen.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, the manga is definitely the way to go after the end of the Kyoto Arc and the fight with Shishio in the anime. The manga is good shit though, so read up. ;)
freegood
imanewbie

Post by freegood »

Seisohuen's ending made sense the more I watched and thought over it. It overrides the manga's ending by going past the happy ending their deaths.

But everything you need to know is there. Kenshin's way won over Seishiro's when Yahiko won the match over Kenshi. Kenshi lives in peace because of the path Kenshin sets. Kaoru gets screwed over the most, but she died knowing Kenshin wanted to be with her. No matter how many people he saved, Kenshin never got over his crimes. It was only at the end did he forgive himself for Tomoe's death.

It's pretty sad, but he had the conscience of a child and the hands of a mass murderer.
BasouKazuma
Flexing spam muscles

Post by BasouKazuma »

freegood wrote:Seisohuen's ending made sense the more I watched and thought over it. It overrides the manga's ending by going past the happy ending their deaths.

But everything you need to know is there. Kenshin's way won over Seishiro's when Yahiko won the match over Kenshi. Kenshi lives in peace because of the path Kenshin sets. Kaoru gets screwed over the most, but she died knowing Kenshin wanted to be with her. No matter how many people he saved, Kenshin never got over his crimes. It was only at the end did he forgive himself for Tomoe's death.

It's pretty sad, but he had the conscience of a child and the hands of a mass murderer.
I find it funny that you joined the forum back when this thread was still active but have just now posted in it ..... over a year after the conversation died. :lol:
freegood
imanewbie

Post by freegood »

My timing is impeccable. :)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, but that ending was fake ass bull shit. Not only that, but it was poorly written. The thing that pisses me off the worst, is that it portrays not only the wrong mood for the ending the author wanted, but it breaks his characters. As if Kenshin would ever leave his family, please. They show that Kenji hates Kenshin, which is just complete crap, and this Aids like disease that kills them is just lame. No, there’s nothing redeeming about this butchery of Watsuki-san’s work, period. There’s no way that’s how things would have become after the proper manga ending.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Word, Starnum, word.
a-choo
imanewbie

Post by a-choo »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, but that ending was fake ass bull shit. Not only that, but it was poorly written. The thing that pisses me off the worst, is that it portrays not only the wrong mood for the ending the author wanted, but it breaks his characters. As if Kenshin would ever leave his family, please. They show that Kenji hates Kenshin, which is just complete crap, and this Aids like disease that kills them is just lame. No, there’s nothing redeeming about this butchery of Watsuki-san’s work, period. There’s no way that’s how things would have become after the proper manga ending.
GAD, I totally agree.
I was a totally appauled when I watched Seihousen; and was so relieved when I found out it wasnt the real ending.
Kenshin manga>anime OAV bullshit 4life.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

For shizz my nizz.
peedu
imanewbie

Post by peedu »

all i kno is kenshin got the disease from overworking and fighting all his life
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

peedu wrote:all i kno is kenshin got the disease from overworking and fighting all his life
Translation, I can't spell or create a complete sentence. Oh, and I watched an OVA once.
Last edited by psi29a on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.